4th of July Week in Aulani Trip Report (completed 8/14)

Next we drive to turtle bay resort. It is not to far away. They do have guards that check your reasons for coming, we said to eat lunch which is not a lie since that is our plan and they direct us to our parking spot. We wanted to check this out since movies were filmed here and there is a restaurant I have heard great things about. Beach House by Roy's Yamaguchi.
20220703_102638.jpg

20220703_102847.jpg
We have time to kill before the restaurant opens up, so we explore and then relax.

Next, we head over to the restaurant and we are the some of the first people here. We get a table right in front of the ocean.

Childeren's menu includes this starter, this cheese Quesada is amazing.
20220703_114345.jpg
A Mai tai of course. Forgot to take a pic of the view, but u can see it from this pic. The restaurant is right on the beach.
20220703_114439.jpg

This Calamari was amazing!! I am not a fan of it, but my husband said I would love this and he was right. It just melted in your mouth.

20220703_114910.jpg
Falafel Wrap: Homemade Falafels, Greek Salad, Kaiware Sprouts, Mint Herb Aioli, Mom looved it. She traveled a lot to the middle east for her job in the govt and she said they were just as good when she went over to Israel. She has not tasted one this good in a while. She boxed up the other half to have for left over for later.

20220703_121208.jpg
Smoked Fresh Catch Melt: Hawaiian Sweet Bread, Hauula Tomato, Cheddar Cheese, Bonito Aioli, my husband forgets what the fresh catches was but he said it was fantastic and would soo order it again.
20220703_121219.jpg
I had the special Fish and Chips. Sooo good. This was made from scratch with local fish, forget what. The fry on it was so light and flakily. Easily the best fish and chips, I have ever had.

20220703_121222.jpg
My sons meal even included a little dessert, he was very happy.
20220703_123214.jpg
I highly recommend this restaurant if u come up north. The food is amazing!! The service is soo great and views were great. Lunch menu prices are very reasonable.
https://www.royyamaguchi.com/beach-house-by-roy-yamaguchi#menu-beach-house-by-roy-yamaguchi
My mom wants to come back here again next year.

Next we head back down towards Aulani, but we are making some stops along the way that we skipped coming up. So next post some more north shore.

Last edited:
As head back to Aualni we plan on hitting a few more food place. First stop Ted's bakery. There is no parking, so my husband does a drop off for me and I get in line. I pick 4 different pies .Here is a pic of an example of what they look like.

20220703_181946.jpg

So we put the pies in the little cooler bag to take home with us. I like they have these little pre cut package pies so we do not have to worry about squishing them.

Then we head to our next spot. The town of Haleiwa! For shrimp and shave ice 🍧 !

We pull off and wow is this placed packed. All the parking is full at parking spot for Giovannas. We go to the parking spot that I read should be easier to get and yes there is still parking available but u pay 2 for it.

Also they are very strict that u must eat at there places and cannot walk to other places. That was plan anyways since I figured we were not going to be able to get the Giovannas spot.

As side note this town really needs parking system. In small but famous mountain towns in Colorado that get slammed by tourists too just like this place, they have built a parking lot area on the outskirts of the town then run a shuttle back in forth during peak season. It works great! Like estes park is a great example of it working.

First stop some shrimps 🍤 😋 we have big wave shrimp.

20220703_134406.jpg

The line is not to long at all. While I wait in line mom grabs a spot at the tables. The table set up here is super cute. My son starts talking to the lady sitting at the table. He is such a chatty Kathy.
20220703_134609.jpg
Then the garlic shrimp!!! It was very yummy.
20220703_135610.jpg
So I cannot compare how it is with Giovannas but it was tasty and short line with parking. So we are very happy this stop. Anyone try both this shrimp truck and Giovannas? How did they compare?

Next we head to shave ice that is in the same parking lot. Now this is the hidden gem and yes I will state this now better than Matsumoto.
20220703_140400.jpg
Kaimana shave ice. Run do not walk to this store. It is fairly new, so not many reviews on it but they hand make everything. All the syrups, everything here.
20220703_140602.jpg
We get the north shore special and my son gets plain strawberry shave ice.
So while u wait for them to make it go out the side door and u get to wait in your own little oasis.
20220703_142618.jpg
We sat by the river waiting for our shave ice.
20220703_142641.jpg

They call your name and u pick up your shave ice.

20220703_143243.jpg
This, this might not be as photogenic as other shave ice but ohh my gosh... it melts, melts in your mouth. My mom who would come regular to Hawaii for work and would always stop to get shave ice never had shave ice soo amazing. The flavors were just soo rich and fruity. Soo real tasting not that artificial flavoring I got in other shave ice I have had.. the whole family agrees between this view and just how good this shave ice is we must come here every time!!!

My sons was good to for what it was...just strawberry but he was soo happy with his too. He could not finish his so we end up putting his in ours and that was a fantastic combo.
20220703_143410.jpg

That was our last stop in our North Shore day and we head back to Aulani. We are super happy and my dad is looking forward to the pie slices we are bringing back.

Last edited:

Fantastic update!

I am going to try that shave ice place, I love the back section for waiting. Thanks for posting pics of it!

FYI for future Aulani Trips-Teds Bakery also does an amazing shrimp plate as well as charcoal bbq hamburgers, Kalbi ribs, etc so if any of you find that Hale’iwa is too busy you can head down to Teds. They also have covered seating and restrooms. If the parking is full, spots usually open up quickly.

Fantastic update!

I am going to try that shave ice place, I love the back section for waiting. Thanks for posting pics of it!

FYI for future Aulani Trips-Teds Bakery also does an amazing shrimp plate as well as charcoal bbq hamburgers, Kalbi ribs, etc so if any of you find that Hale’iwa is too busy you can head down to Teds. They also have covered seating and restrooms. If the parking is full, spots usually open up quickly.

Good to know the shrimp plate is good there, we saw it and was wondering if it was good.

Next we head back to Aulani and my dad is excited for the pie slice we brought back to him.

We change out of our North shore gear and get into some new clothes. The next thing on my list to do is get some things booked and pick up dvc freebies. Also mom wants to go to the abc store to pick up new sandles since we broke them at sharks cove.
First stop conceriage desk. I try to book some dvc events for example champagne and mimosas tastings but it is already filled. Good news Poke and Sake still open so we get in our reservations for that.

Next I head to the new dvc lounge, mickey is soo cute!
Then I show the dvc people we bought the luia and we get a special pin. We sweet talk our way into a 2nd pin so we can give one to my son.

20220703_163300.jpg
20220703_181653.jpg

Next we head downstairs and go the dvc open house area.

We got a phone call for a free welcome gift too there. We got some lanyards.

20220703_181813.jpg
And then a great photo.
20220703_181848.jpg

Then we go to the community room to ask about making the ears. I wanted to do it on the 4th but it was already booked up. So we book it for later in the week. When u book them u pick out all the stuff ahead of time.
We also make pit stop to pick up our bands for tommorow.
Man aulani has lots of logistics of just walking around to book all things and get all the stuff.

Then we head to the ABC store. Of Crouse I had to take some pics. I will never get tired of this view.

20220703_180622.jpg
Before we make it to the ABC store picture time!
received_728349465064560.jpeg

received_773538313650764.jpeg
So next to ABC store we see this store. CocoNene
20220703_175859.jpg
This store has nice sandles. They are expensive but they have the sandle that mom broke!! Soo excited. So mom tries on sandles and I do little shopping. This is my new fav store here, it has tons of unique Hawaii gifts. Not the typical touristy cheap stuff I see everyone. I highly suggest everyone check this store out.
I love the ornament here and I pick one out to take home.
20220703_175621.jpg
Here is the one I pick out, honestly it was a hard to pick just one. Look how to cute 😍
20220703_175747.jpg
Mom picked out her sandles.
Then we head back to our room in the next post.

Last edited:
Made it back to my room.
Wow mom and me are tired. We did alot. Time for drinking and eating.
Mom makes a mudslide for all of us with the blender they requested and time to relax and take in the view.

20220703_185748.jpg

20220703_190403.jpg
I also brought out the pie to eat on the balcony cause why not.
20220703_182000.jpg
Bed time. 🛌

Next post will be day 3, July 4th!

Day 3: 4th of July!!
I am training for Rundisney Marathon 2023. So I dress and head out the door for a run. Wow this place is pretty in the morning.
20220704_055647.jpg

20220704_055934.jpg
I head off toward the Marriott. There is a really nice walkway path that follows the lagoons. There are quite a few other early morning people all getting their run or walk in this morning.
20220704_061113.jpg
I may have stopped more than I do in my normal runs cause I kept wanting to take pictures... this view is way better than my normal run ciews at home.
20220704_061704.jpg
20220704_061719.jpg
20220704_061813.jpg
When I ran back I actually went around aualni and went to Pardise Cove. I was hoping too see some wildlife but no seals or turtles.
20220704_064532.jpg
Running done!
20220704_065447.jpg
GarminConnect_20220704-090901.jpg

Next Members party!

Cleaned up after the run. Then we went down to get a seat. Wow seats fill up fast... esp seats with shade. We spread out and find seats with shade at the baby splash pad. Yeah!! We ended up liking this spot. Near everything including the bar!

20220704_075459.jpg
Now we wait by the seats till dvc member party.

I do some Instagram shots with my new wonder women bathing suit I am wearing for the 4th while wait.
20220704_073957.jpg

See I am trying... not quite instagramy but I am a 30 something mom, lol.
20220704_074011.jpg
Next dvc member party starts at 8am so we walk over and leave my dad to guard the seats. We make sure he is all set for chilling. He says he really is "suffering" having to be forces to sit and relax on the lounge chairs... lol.

We come in right at 8 am, we get the nut leis, I know there is a real name for them but do not remember. This place is already packed we head to the back middle. So of u want a closer spot, come earlier. Also bring towels to sit on.
20220704_080717.jpg

20220704_080827.jpg
The show is super cute, u get lots of characters and the dancing was fun. Not many pics cause I put down my phone to dance as a family.
20220704_081758.jpg
Then after the show the characters stay for an for a charcter meet and greet. We meet Moana and my son is super scared. I cannot find a pic of this soo ohh well. First character interaction and it did not go so well... he said Moana is not the real Moana and did a small tantrum... so yeah my son was 5 years going teenager already. (Luckily later we got a better interaction.)

We then get our freebies! U could tour the 3 bedroom villas which I was curious about by my son was grumpy so we passed.

Here is the stuff we got:
20220704_084148.jpg

20220704_084211.jpg
Overall I highly suggest this event if you are a dvc member. I love this free event. It was cute and fun, with characters and good free goodies. Especially when u think how cheap disney has been getting in other areas it is nice to see some benefits for members.
Next pool time!

So my husband takes marcus to the pool while my mom and me go back to the room to drop off all the free stuff and making some drinks to bring nack down to the pool.20220704_085149.jpg
When I come down I check on my boys and they are having a blast in the pool. My husband says he is good and to check by in like a half an hour. So I go back to my seat and drink the mudslide mom made. We also deliver a drink to my dad gotta keep happy.
20220704_094136.jpg

I check back in and see how they are doing. As u can see they are suffering and I join in.
20220704_091138.jpg
After a while all of us thinks it is time for a refill and I saw Moana will be meeting again today. I want to do a medal picture with her so mom and me go back up to the room and I grab my Fairytale Challenge medal and shirt for pics along with the surfboard for charcter sigs!
When I came down I asked my son if we wanted to meet characters and he still was not feeling them. So my husband and my dad are going stay with him and going to get some lunch.

I look and head off to wear I think Moana was going to meet but found out it was Chip and Dale. Ohh well cannot complain about meeting them they are just too cute and we needed the signature on our surf board.

FB_IMG_1658083927642.jpg

The character helpers are very nice and direct me where Moana is going to meet and we head on over there. I end up being the first person so chat with the photographer and she was soo nice. Then I got to see Moana, first signature.
FB_IMG_1658083943272.jpg
Then talked about how I completed her Challenge medal and how I was not able to meet her in WDW and so brought my medal of her to her. For those not in the rundisney know, Moana was the challenge medal for the Princesses 2022 run, so I had to run a 10k and half marathon back to back.

FB_IMG_1658083953687.jpg

Then the picture I have been waiting to do since I completed my first half marathon.

FB_IMG_1658083961419.jpg

Soo happy I did this, when I was waiting in line there were a couple other people who ran the race and they wished they thought of this idea too since Moana does not do meet and greets at WDW parks. In the race they did have Moana to meet but it was way too long.

Food next post!

Time for lunch!20220704_111417.jpg
We head to mama's shrimp shack. The guys had this too and my son is slowly still picking at his chicken tenders. He eats slowly.
20220704_111425.jpg

20220704_111320.jpg
The coconut shrimp is what u want to get here, my husband tried the fish and chips and just average tasting.

20220704_112305.jpg
A great lunch, I like how easy it is to get at the pool.

We played in the pool some more but no pics. Then we head off to my mom's friends house for fireworks.

That is the real disappointment of this trip, Aulani did nothing for the 4th. I realize the hoa actually does the fireworks but since Aulani knew there would be no firworks why was there not special 4th of July decorations or treats, etc... if Aulani does not start upping its game for the 4th we are just going to come in June when it is cheaper. Why pay the expensive point costs for a holiday they do nothing special for??? My dad who sat around the pool at lot heard a lot of other people's disappointment in the lack of any acknowledgement of the 4th here at Aualani too. (We booked for June next year cause of this.)

Next post fireworks that are not at Aualni.

Last edited:
She goes over the details and said we got our room request! Our room, 2 bed room dvc room in Ewa tower 981. Love this room. It is a garden/island room with a partial ocean view.
Can you share how you submitted your room request and what you specifically asked for? We have a 2 bedroom (dedicated) island/garden view reserved for June 23 and would like to request a similar room location as that looks wonderful.

Glad you had such a great trip and thank you for taking the time to share.

Can you share how you submitted your room request and what you specifically asked for? We have a 2 bedroom (dedicated) island/garden view reserved for June 23 and would like to request a similar room location as that looks wonderful.

Glad you had such a great trip and thank you for taking the time to share.
I got this from someone else's suggestion and I told them it was in order of priority.
Ewa Tower
High Floor
Room ending in x87, x85, x83,

So my husband takes marcus to the pool while my mom and me go back to the room to drop off all the free stuff and making some drinks to bring nack down to the pool.View attachment 685650
When I come down I check on my boys and they are having a blast in the pool. My husband says he is good and to check by in like a half an hour. So I go back to my seat and drink the mudslide mom made. We also deliver a drink to my dad gotta keep happy.
View attachment 685651

I check back in and see how they are doing. As u can see they are suffering and I join in.
View attachment 685652
After a while all of us thinks it is time for a refill and I saw Moana will be meeting again today. I want to do a medal picture with her so mom and me go back up to the room and I grab my Fairytale Challenge medal and shirt for pics along with the surfboard for charcter sigs!
When I came down I asked my son if we wanted to meet characters and he still was not feeling them. So my husband and my dad are going stay with him and going to get some lunch.

I look and head off to wear I think Moana was going to meet but found out it was Chip and Dale. Ohh well cannot complain about meeting them they are just too cute and we needed the signature on our surf board.

View attachment 685653

The character helpers are very nice and direct me where Moana is going to meet and we head on over there. I end up being the first person so chat with the photographer and she was soo nice. Then I got to see Moana, first signature.
View attachment 685654
Then talked about how I completed her Challenge medal and how I was not able to meet her in WDW and so brought my medal of her to her. For those not in the rundisney know, Moana was the challenge medal for the Princesses 2022 run, so I had to run a 10k and half marathon back to back.

View attachment 685655

Then the picture I have been waiting to do since I completed my first half marathon.

View attachment 685656

Soo happy I did this, when I was waiting in line there were a couple other people who ran the race and they wished they thought of this idea too since Moana does not do meet and greets at WDW parks. In the race they did have Moana to meet but it was way too long.

Food next post!
Congrats on your first Half Marathon!

Since there is nothing at our hotel we drive off to go see Fireworks at Kailua Beach. Luckily my mom friend invited us over for fireworks. We park in her driveway and she is only a couple of blocks away from the beach. We are so luckily since parking is very limited. We eat dinner and chill out in her wonderful lanai. No pics cause I did not want to be rude. Then as it gets close to sunset we head out. We take her wagon full of beach chairs and head down. It is nice having a local, she takes right to the hidden beach entrance. I would have not seen it if it was not for her.
Wow... this beach is beautiful!
20220704_192300.jpg

20220704_192314.jpg
20220704_192650.jpg
This is our spot we found.
20220704_192859.jpg
20220704_192718.jpg

FB_IMG_1658166927382.jpg
FB_IMG_1658166932714.jpg
As it got darker it got windy. It is actually getting chilly in July in summer. The poor locals around us are shivering. We are okay since we are used to cold more but the wind is testing us. The major issue with the wind, when the sand blew in our face. But the fireworks started and it was all worth it! They shoot them off from a boat that was really close. It has been awhile since I been this close to fireworks. My son was loving it. The other great thing about this beach not crowded at all. Everyone was spread out, not on top of each other at all.

FB_IMG_1658166914093.jpg
FB_IMG_1658166907191.jpg
Heading back was easy, walled backed to the house. Did a round of bathrooms and headed out. Waze got us around the major traffic and apparently while driving my husband soo fireworks going off everywhere! I fell asleep 😴 so missed this.
This was a really great way to watch the fireworks if we could not watch them from our hotel.
The next post will be the next day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter