45 Minute Layover

eiblehs

Expedition Everest Enthusiast
Is a 45 minute layover long enough to catch a connecting flight in Atlanta? I have two options: 45 minutes or over 2 hours. I’ve flown out of the Atlanta airport twice before, so I’m fairly certain I know my way around. However, I’ve always had a little over an hour so I’ve never felt rushed to reach my gate. Remember: I won’t be going through security. I’m also flying Delta if that makes a difference.

Right now I have the 2+ hour flight booked, but I am considering changing just to get to Orlando earlier as it is a park day for me.

Honest thoughts and advice needed!

When is your flight? If your first leg is first thing in the morning, then your chances of having no issue are less then if it's in the afternoon. This time of year with all the pop up thunder storms in the afternoon flights are consistently delayed.

You’ll always get a wide variety of responses to this type of question. It just comes down to what you’re comfortable with and the risk/benefit to you. There are so many factors in play. You could end up in the same terminal or even an adjacent gate. You could also end up with the total opposite. Your flight could be early, or late. Your connection could be missing a crew or have a maintenance delay.

Personally, I would pick the 45 min over the 2 hours but that’s a risk I’m willing to take. I also travel a lot and have been through ATL a ton so my confidence in transiting through is fairly high. In the end, it’s up to you.

If you're not a nervous Nellie & your flight is in the first half of the day I think you're fine. Delta routinely schedules those short layover flights through Atlanta, so they must know what they're doing. If you do miss your connection due to the first flight landing late, it's their responsibility to get you to your destination.

I recommend not checking bags, however. While you're very likely to make the connection, your checked luggage might not. I also wouldn't do this for an evening flight- they're much more likely to be delayed & I wouldn't want to risk having to sleep at the airport or be put up at some random hotel.

Also factor in where on the plane your sitting on the first leg. That can add 10 mins just getting off if your in the back. If your not a seasoned traveler take the 2 hours. If you have carry on, boarding the earlier flight on stand by if the gates are close could be an option.

I don't feel like typing everything I did in the previous thread, but I would book this, and yes, I would check a bag if needed.

In Atlanta, Delta has a minimum connection time of 35 minutes for domestic to domestic with one exception.

They will not sell you a ticket that they expect you miss.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/del...nsfer-time-atlanta-atl-definitive-thread.html

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.

Last edited:
We did this once, a 45 minute connection at MPls/SP. We were younger and decided to try it. Well, our flight was on the opposite side of the airport. By the time we got out of the plane (slow deboarding, grrr) and ran all the way (besides having to catch a monorail) we found that they were holding the gate for us - we were exhausted and the last to board. We got some glaring looks as we boarded.
So, a BIG NO, on that. Just too stressfull.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter