• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

4 gigs of pics, 3 blisters, 2 pairs of new shoes, 1 bleeding toe = our great trip!

Stomach's full the girls and I head over to the van.

This is the first trip that we've used our own transportation to get places, rather than rely on Disney to get us around. I drove today because we have reservations tonight @ 7:40 at the Grand Floridian at 1900 Park Fare with Cinderella and family. Thought driving it would be quicker getting back and forth, rather than waiting for a bus to arrive.

Anyway ... getting back on track :rotfl:.

We drive to the:

IMG_3045.jpg

and parked in:

IMG_3047.jpg

Then climb on the tram (which in a few days Angelina will declare this to be her favorite ride):

IMG_3048.jpg

We then climbed onto the monorail because the girls wanted to get there 'fast'. We were out of sorts seeing as how it wasn't rope drop so we were coming in behind so many people. We didn't know where to begin!

Stroll down Main St. USA, where I snapped off a few quick photos:

The obligatory balloon shot:

IMG_3049.jpg

Listened to a Dapper Dan whistle while he worked:

IMG_3053.jpg

Stopped to take my first picture of the castle:

IMG_3055.jpg

The girls aren't crazy about me taking pictures while we're on trips like this. They don't wander away, just sometimes they don't notice that I've stopped - I spend a lot of time playing catch up to them.

Neither one of the girls like 'roller coaster' rides, so we don't spend time standing in those crazy lines. Before we left home, I had convinced them to ride BTMRR. I showed them pictures where there were 3 people in a car. We had it all worked out where I would sit in the middle and hold on for dear life to each girl. All was good until we got right up to it. Then Angelina had a mini-breakdown tears and all, that she didn't want to go on it. So we decided to leave that area of the park and walk towards the HM. On our way we saw a friend:

IMG_3064.jpg

I'm lucky in respect that the girls don't mind being in their own doom buggy sometimes with me riding solo. I decided to break out the 50mm and snap a few pictures in the ride:

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

Those were the best two taken that go around - there will be more, just later.

After riding the HM we were completely confused as what to do next. We wandered towards and through Fantsyland declaring every ride line too long. Then we wandered up to:

IMG_3101.jpg

With only a 20 minute wait, the girls figured it was worth it. I decided that my stomach was still too full from "breakfast" to get on, so I snapped a few pictures, with the fisheye, while they rode. They were the last two to get on the ride, so I had zero time to set up the picture - had to snap and run!

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

Dashed over to the side of the teacups and got this one real quick:

IMG_3100.jpg

30 seconds later and the girls were finished on the teacups.

Up next we head towards Tomorrowland and grab our first fastpass......

Hi!! Joining in.:goodvibes I love your pictures!! wow!!! They are great!! We are headed back to Pop next month and have requested to stay in the 70's section. It will be our first time in that section because we have always stayed in the 80's and 90's. What building were you in? Can't wait for more...popcorn::

Loving it so far!!! This is my favorite kind of trip report, lots of pictures!! :thumbsup2

Hi Ann!! Glad you found my TR. I didn't think that many people that typically hung out in the photography section ventured out and read TR's.

I'm an equal opportunity DISer. A little Photo Board, a little TR Board, a little Restaurant and Resort, the every so often pop into the Transportation and DVC Boards. I'm everywhere! :goodvibes

We stayed in the 60's building, just next to Baloo on the 2nd floor. It was a fantastic room, if we wanted to go to the pool. It was a notso fantastic room if we wanted to go to our car. :(

Luckily, we won't have to worry about going to the car, I can never seem to justify renting one when in my experience, Disney transportation is pretty efficient and reliable. We're booked for the 70's section in October and the 80's section in December for 1 night, so I'm hoping to make it around to all of the buildings with my tripod to take some good night shots.

Looking forward to reading more!

Luckily, we won't have to worry about going to the car, I can never seem to justify renting one when in my experience, Disney transportation is pretty efficient and reliable. We're booked for the 70's section in October and the 80's section in December for 1 night, so I'm hoping to make it around to all of the buildings with my tripod to take some good night shots.

Looking forward to reading more!

I agree about Disney transportation. We drive every trip (although I think I've convinced DH to fly in 2010) but typically just park the car and don't go near it until we're leaving. The only reason I drove so much this trip was because we had reservations in resorts that I wanted to be able to get in and get out quicker and save some time.

We stayed in the 70s section last summer and had a fantastic room! We parked in the 90s lot and were actually closer to the busses than to the main building, which was great for us! I had requested the same room for this visit but weren't able to get it :(.

Hi!! Joining in.:goodvibes I love your pictures!! wow!!! They are great!! We are headed back to Pop next month and have requested to stay in the 70's section. It will be our first time in that section because we have always stayed in the 80's and 90's. What building were you in? Can't wait for more...popcorn::

Thanks for the compliment :goodvibes. We were in the 60's building. 2nd floor on the corner nearest Baloo. We stayed in the 70s last summer. I must say that I preferred that building more.

Loving it so far!!! This is my favorite kind of trip report, lots of pictures!! :thumbsup2

There's many more where these came from :thumbsup2.

OMG good pic of the Bride! She is so creepy.

TY! Was able to get many more photos different times that we rode the ride. Was trying to keep the photos in order, we'll get to those in a bit.

We always use our own transportation when visiting WDW, so much easier! :thumbsup2

Great shot of the Bride on HM. :thumbsup2

It was nice to not fight the crowds at the end of the night. Of course, since the tram became Angelina's favorite "ride" she was all :sad1: when we would use the bus. Can't win for loosing sometimes :laughing:. Especially when it comes to my kids!

Worked our way to Tomorrowland....which if the girls had their choice, we would never leave. This is their favorite area!

Gabriella wanted to do 'Mike's Laugh Floor' and Angelina wanted to do 'Stitch'. Here is where our first bit of compromise set in. They both LOVE Buzzlightyear, so we got FP's for there. The return time was about 1.5 hours.

Went to Mike's Laugh Floor and watched that show. Sorry no photos, the lights went dim in the pre-show area as soon as we were in the doors.

After that crossed the street to do 'Stitch'. None of us have been on this ride. I've read many-a-review saying...what a GROSS ride and something about the chilidog smell, so I was a bit hesitant, but went anyway just because it was a new ride for us. Jarrod and I did this when it was the Extraterrorestrial Encounter and LOVED it!

Snapped a quick picture of the girls in the que:

IMG_3113.jpg

Gabriella has EXTRA sensitive ears, so we pack earpluggs every trip we go on. Angelina uses the earplugs just as an attention gathering prop.

Finished up with that ride and I must say, the reviews were correct. All I heard for the rest of the day was, 'Give me my chili dog' in a crazy voice. Oh the things kids pick up on.

Still had time before the BL FP was to kick in, so we watched the COP:

IMG_3134.jpg

Every year I take a picture in front of this sign because it notes the year in the smallest gear.

Came out of COP and the Stitch Extravaganza (I know it's not the real name, that dancy singing show they put on that has already been cancelled) was going on. I thought the show was cute. They encourage lots of audiance participation while they teach a dance:

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

FINALLY it was time for.....

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

Angelina rode in her own car. G rode with me.....she was quite proud of her high score:

IMG_3152.jpg

Nevermind my score, I was too busy taking pictures!

At this point, it was time to head back to the room to get ready for dinner. I had told the girls that they could get one of those massive multi colored popsicles as their 'snack' for the day. Here is the end result photo - Gabriella has it all over her face, Angelina had it down her arm and even down her leg :haha:!

IMG_3156.jpg

Took the monorail back to the TTC:

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

Snapped a few of the GF as we were passing by:

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

Made it back to the car and took off for Pop to shower, change clothes, and arrive early to 1900PF in hopes of getting a head start on things.

Up next, why it doesn't pay to arrive early for your reservation..............

I'm loving this trip report. Great pictures are the key to holding my interest in any trip report I have found. Thank you so much! Really makes me anxious to go on my trip in August! I bought a DSLR and a few lenses to go with it - hoping to get some great shots. The fisheye is very cool at Disney World. Your picture looking towards the Mad Hatter close to ground level turned out really nice.

Signing on to your TR. Great pics so far...look forward to seeing the rest :thumbsup2

I was so :yay: to have a corner room right near the elevator!

Up next, why a corner room right near the elevator is never a good room.......
This cracked me up!

You are so brave to travel that far without another adult! (I'd do the same thing but my mom always used to faint when she heard me take the kids on a trip more than 5 miles away from home - more so when she would hear me traveling alone! Bless her soul - that thought just made me miss her :angel:)

I feel like I'm right along on the trip with you - great writing style and fantastic pics! Your girls are adorable - they seem to be having a great time with little sleep. Can't wait to read all about your dinner!

I think my family is the only family that actually likes Stitch's Great Escape!! LOL We really do like it...not sure why, but we do! I was hoping to see that new Stitch show in Dec...guess not! Oh well! Everything looks good so far! Can't wait for more!

I'm loving this trip report. Great pictures are the key to holding my interest in any trip report I have found. Thank you so much! Really makes me anxious to go on my trip in August! I bought a DSLR and a few lenses to go with it - hoping to get some great shots. The fisheye is very cool at Disney World. Your picture looking towards the Mad Hatter close to ground level turned out really nice.

So glad you're enjoying our vacation. We sure did have a good time ourselves, how could we not :laughing:!

Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous as are you two girls! Lovin' this report!

Awww, thanks so much. I threw in a ghost just for you ;).

This cracked me up!

Glad you like my sense of humor. I was so amazed at how much I could hear through the walls. I have never heard so much before. It's got to be because we were on the corner.

You are so brave to travel that far without another adult! (I'd do the same thing but my mom always used to faint when she heard me take the kids on a trip more than 5 miles away from home - more so when she would hear me traveling alone! Bless her soul - that thought just made me miss her :angel:)

I feel like I'm right along on the trip with you - great writing style and fantastic pics! Your girls are adorable - they seem to be having a great time with little sleep. Can't wait to read all about your dinner!

My mom was quite nervous as well. She made sure I sent her a text as soon as we arrived. Of course, the text was a picture of Baloo. DH made sure that the van was in top notch condition before we took off. This isn't my first time going to far with just DDs in tow. It was the hour that we were driving, I think, that had everyone a bit nervous.

I think my family is the only family that actually likes Stitch's Great Escape!! LOL We really do like it...not sure why, but we do! I was hoping to see that new Stitch show in Dec...guess not! Oh well! Everything looks good so far! Can't wait for more!

I think Stitch's Great Escape is great for kids. Boys especially, who are tired of all of the princess stuff. Just after we got off of it Angelina declared it her new favorite......that lasted until we did something else new and then the favorite changed....she's not partial :rotfl:.

I finally all caught up.

You are very brave to drive down to Florida alone with 2 children. We thought about staying at POP before. However, that's a hard decision after staying at WL twice. We just can't tear ourselves away from WL.

I can't even imagine what it feel like to check-in at 4:30 in the morning after such long drive. My brain probably still in coma stage. :eek: That's my issue about driving down to WDW. After such long drive, I will be too tired to have any fun on the first day.

I like the Stitch ride. I know the chili dog thing is kinda gross but it doesn't bother me. However, I can't do the tea party thing. I wouldn't do well from spinning. I can do free fall. I can handle acceleration to the max. But when it comes to spinning, I am a chicken. Mission to Space is the only exception because I don't see outside. Even so, I am still light headed when I get off from Mission to Space.

Here are my comment on the photos.
At first, I thought these 2 were great.
IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

Then I saw this one which I thought the perspective was just awesome.
IMG_3139.jpg

The way how this one show case your 2 daughter was just perfect.
IMG_3115.jpg

Were you trying to process some of the picture in HDR?? If so, which software did you use?

Beat feet back to Pop, quick showers and change. Feel like a million bucks because all of the sweat and humidity from the day has been rinsed away. Have about 20 minutes while we can just chill in the room and catch our breath.

Decided to head to the car a bit early. I wasn't exactly sure how to get to the Grand Floridian - even though I had TomTom and all those purple/red street signs to help guide the way.

Pull under the MK enterance sign - veer to the extreme right (just like TomTom said to do). Have I mentioned yet that sometimes, I don't make the turn just when I'm supposed to? Yup, passed the light - Gabriella (my backseat driver) announces to me (in unison with TomTom) that I've missed my turn, so I do what every out of state driver does, I did a U-turn just past the median. Gabriella is freakin' out like I'm going to go to jail :lmao: - I explain to her that there was no sign posted 'no U-Turn' that we'd be alright :thumbsup2.

Finally made it to the Grand Floridian. Decided to vallet park the van since we would be going to the MK for EMH's later on that night.

Walk up to the desk at:

IMG_3184.jpg

Give the lady our name. She couldn't find our reservation :faint:! I told her that the confirmation number was in their vallet lot if she needed me to go get it. She said she trusted me and wrote my name down on the paper because THE SYSTEM WAS DOWN!!!! It was 7:00 and we were checking in early for a 7:40 reservation. Then she told me that they were pretty on target with their seatings. We were given our buzzer and told to head towards the lobby.

I took the opportunity to snap a few pictures:

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

The elevator:

IMG_3172.jpg

There was a fantastic pianist playing the most beautiful music......

IMG_3171.jpg

We found a little seate and claimed it as ours:

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

Time passed and passed and passed and our buzzer never went off. Decided at 7:50 that it was time to stand in front of the check-in desk and remind them that we hadn't been seated yet. Angelina started to get super hungry. The CM expressed her apologies but they were (now) running behind schedule and we would be sat 'as soon as possible'. We hadn't eaten now for about 8.5 hours. I was feeding Angelina (who at this point is crying sitting under a tall table in the lobby) candy from reservation desk.

FINALLY our buzzer went off at 8:15 - more than 30 minutes after our reservation time!

Hand my camera off to a PP photographer:

IMG_3185.jpg

And then we're in.............

We had never eaten here for dinner. Last time we did breakfast was in 2006, so I sort of knew what to expect. Lucky (?) for us, the characters had just been past our table so we had time to eat before they would circulate back to our direction.

Angelina had mac'n'cheese (and gave me a good grin while I attempted to get the correct white balance setting, I don't think I achieved it):

IMG_3190.jpg

I didn't take a picture of Gabriella's food :(.

I had:

IMG_3191.jpg

Roast (prime rib well done?) with a creamy horseradish sause, motzarella & tomato salad, caeser salad, mashed potatos and italian bread with butter. The 'roast' was extremely tough - everything else was pretty good.

We hear a big announcement about a certain couple joining us for dinner:

IMG_3192.jpg

The fantastic couple came out and did a dance in the center of the restaurant. Sadly, our table was back in a very odd spot and I couldn't get good enough (to post) photos of the dance.

Pretty soon the characters were working their way towards our table as the girls looked on patiently:

IMG_3202.jpg

Lady Tremaine was first:

IMG_3205.jpg

Followed by Prince Charming:

IMG_3199.jpg

Cinderella:

IMG_3210.jpg

And her sisters:

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

I went back and grabbed a few desserts:

IMG_3201.jpg

Chocolate mousse (YUMMY!), Carrot cake (that I didn't even try) and a tiny cheesecake (YUMMY x's 2). The girls had vanilla ice cream with gummy bears.

There were two reasons that we ate at the GF. #1 because of the characters (d'uh, right) and #2 because we had the DDP. I don't think that we will eat here again. At least not for dinner. Angelina said the mac'n'cheese was terrible, Gabriella only ate the mashed potatos, my roast was way too tough for my liking. The characters were FANTASTIC, i will give you that. The step-sisters/mother are a wonderful addition to a Cinderella dinner. The sisters were loud and crazy, singing LOUDLY off key 'Happy Birthday' to guests in the restaurant - lots of merriment. That said, I would NEVER be willing to pay OOP to eat here - and probably wouldn't use a DDP credit here again (for dinner) either.

I mentioned to the girls that I wasn't crazy about this restaurant and didn't know if we'd go there again. Neither one of them minded that decision one bit. We faired much better at many other meals....as you'll see :wink:.

Up next:

Extra magic hours at the MK, Gabriella is starting to get a hot spot on her foot (which she describes as a burning itch) and I'm starting to wonder if the hiking shoes I've been working out for months in were such a good decision to wear............

Sorry you have a bad dinner on your first night. I've never been there so I guess I won't be there in the future.

I love the villian pictures. Although the prince charming looks a little "stone". :lmao:

Oh no!! Pokey foot strikes again!!! :sad2:

Sorry you have a bad dinner on your first night. I've never been there so I guess I won't be there in the future.

I love the villian pictures. Although the prince charming looks a little "stone". :lmao:

Oh no!! Pokey foot strikes again!!! :sad2:

I actually thought of you when my foot started to get pokey :lmao:. I had just finished your TR right before we left. Power Disney was another expression I thought of often.

I have some fantastic pictures from the villain store, you have to wait till we get to DHS for those :rolleyes1.

Wow..your pictures are beautiful! Haha...the sisters at 1900 PF are always up to something! :rolleyes: The GF is gorgeous. Did you look in the Basin store while you were there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter