ADRs?

• I like to reserve my diners in advance

Votes: 157 69.2%
  • I do not like to reserve my diners in advance

Votes: 70 30.8%

• Total voters
I picked up the Hippopotamaitai and the Krakatoa. The clear hippo glass is great as a pen/pencil holder. The Krakatoa is "prettier" and sits on my bar. I loved the idea of the Nautilus but after I saw it, I just couldn't justify the price.

yeah, same here - and even sure where I would put something that big

I like the 3 rum flight mugs but a little bummed they don't come with the flight board/base

I have learned the exact same rule before I buy any tchotchke. Where am I gonna put that sucker & how much dust is it going to collect? Wish I had practiced that little gem yrs ago.
Yep - stopped many different "collections" over the years when they became too much to move/dust/maintain, etc.

I'm conflicted as I never know what I'm going to be in the mood for 6 months in advance. So we have done 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 2 dinners for our 8 days in Disney. When I've been in the past we usually had the car and stayed offsite so got to eat up International Dr. As we came from the UK there were tons of American chains we had never tried. Pretty much lived in Miller's Ale House as it was so cheap! So this will be my boyfriend first onsite stay together so I got a few of the good ADRs but I think we might just wing it for some of the meals, maybe get a taxi off site :)

I'm conflicted as I never know what I'm going to be in the mood for 6 months in advance. So we have done 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 2 dinners for our 8 days in Disney. When I've been in the past we usually had the car and stayed offsite so got to eat up International Dr. As we came from the UK there were tons of American chains we had never tried. Pretty much lived in Miller's Ale House as it was so cheap! So this will be my boyfriend first onsite stay together so I got a few of the good ADRs but I think we might just wing it for some of the meals, maybe get a taxi off site :)
I appreciate the conflicted/mood argument. My approach to that is..................make a couple of big ticket choices (ie BOG, CRT, etc) then fill it in with others, not of lesser import.......but ADR's that are more easily manipulated. As you get closer to arrival you should be able to adjust that "other" group. On our last trip we dropped 2 ADR's just because they didn't fit anymore. Now we didn't try to add any either................but things were easily changed. In fact I was changing ADR times up to 24 hours before the resi.

For us ADR's enhance our planning............if something better comes along that conflicts...........we adjust :)

Doug :goofy:

I appreciate the conflicted/mood argument. My approach to that is..................make a couple of big ticket choices (ie BOG, CRT, etc) then fill it in with others, not of lesser import.......but ADR's that are more easily manipulated. As you get closer to arrival you should be able to adjust that "other" group. On our last trip we dropped 2 ADR's just because they didn't fit anymore. Now we didn't try to add any either................but things were easily changed. In fact I was changing ADR times up to 24 hours before the resi.

For us ADR's enhance our planning............if something better comes along that conflicts...........we adjust :)

Doug :goofy:
Definitely I got BOG, Le Cellier, Sci Fi, Beaches and Cream, Boma and HDDR. So fingers crossed got my areas covered :D

I'm probably a traitor but I'm so excited to eat at Maggianos again :p

For us ADR's enhance our planning
I think the bottom line is that some people like to plan out their trips in advance and some don't.

The problem with the current system is that those of us who don't plan in advance are pretty much shut out of eating TS onsite. Sure, we might score something last minute but the odds are slim. It doesn't bother me personally, as we wouldn't do TS anyway, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would do it if they could.

For example, my mother and cousin are at WDW right now. They arrived yesterday. They booked this trip less than 2 weeks ago. They are not Disney fanatics like us and have zero experience using MDE. What chance do they have of getting any TS meals while they're there? I would assume they will be doing all CS whether they want to or not.

I'm probably a traitor but I'm so excited to eat at Maggianos again
Nothing wrong with Maggianos. DW and I go to the one at home now and then. For a chain restaurant, it's not too bad, and that's coming from someone who hates chain restaurants.

The problem with the current system is that those of us who don't plan in advance are pretty much shut out of eating TS onsite. Sure, we might score something last minute but the odds are slim. It doesn't bother me personally, as we wouldn't do TS anyway, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would do it if they could.

I'm actually going to disagree on that ... a little.
I've gotten some decent ADRs within a few weeks of the trip. But I also checked multiple times every day and have a knack for getting last seating ADRs at BOG when they extend park hours. If you're willing to go a little crazy last minute, I think you can get some good ADRs.
However ... if you don't enjoy spending that time constantly searching for ADRs, you may not be able to get much. Which is why I agree that the current system needs to be changed. Not everyone can or wants to plan their meals 6 months in advance, and not everyone can or wants to keep searching for ADRs from the minute they book their trip until they show up at Disney. And I think that it would be great if Disney did something to help out the people for whom the 180-day window doesn't work.
(I just selfishly hope the solution isn't eliminating all ADRs, but that's just because ADRs are what work for me)

I think the bottom line is that some people like to plan out their trips in advance and some don't.

For example, my mother and cousin are at WDW right now. They arrived yesterday. They booked this trip less than 2 weeks ago. They are not Disney fanatics like us and have zero experience using MDE. What chance do they have of getting any TS meals while they're there? I would assume they will be doing all CS whether they want to or not.
But people are going to be shut out at many table service places in some way, whether or not there are ADRs. Some restaurants are just too busy.

I'm actually going to disagree on that ... a little.
I've gotten some decent ADRs within a few weeks of the trip. But I also checked multiple times every day and have a knack for getting last seating ADRs at BOG when they extend park hours. If you're willing to go a little crazy last minute, I think you can get some good ADRs.
However ... if you don't enjoy spending that time constantly searching for ADRs, you may not be able to get much. Which is why I agree that the current system needs to be changed.
Exactly. When we went in August 2014, I was able to get a BOG spot a couple of weeks out purely by luck. I had checked in the morning and nothing. Checked that night and there was an opening so I grabbed it. I'm sure 5 minutes later it would have been gone.

The main problem for us is that we don't plan our trip in advance. We did for that one day on that trip because going to BOG was worth it. In general, though, we decide what park to visit each day the night before and even then we just decide where to start the day. Where we are at dinner time will vary. It may be the same park, a different park, Disney Springs, or somewhere off property.

But people are going to be shut out at many table service places in some way, whether or not there are ADRs. Some restaurants are just too busy.
Definitely, but that's true in the outside world too. Plenty of times we have shown up at a restaurant at home only to be told the wait was 45 minutes or more so we turned around and went elsewhere. I think people are used to that. What the average guest isn't used to, however, is needing to make reservations 6 months in advance. That wouldn't even occur to a normal person who isn't plugged into the whole Disney thing like we are.

I like having ADRs as they are today. If Disney is worried about people not showing up or canceling change the no show $ amount to something like $20 per person. Bet they start showing up.

Also, if Disney is having a problem with ADRs in some restaurants perhaps they need to look at the food they are putting out in some of these places. Everyone has their favorites etc. but we all know a location that just doesn't have the quality we expect from Disney.

Lastly, given the whole MDE, magic band, plan your trip ahead of time plan they have been going with I would think ADRs day of goes entirely against this. Not to mention the crazy line to make them day of. Maybe we should get a fast pass to come back to the ADR line... Sure hope Disney doesn't read that one.

In reading through this thread, it appears that most of the angst is caused by the 180 day policy, and not the fact of ADRs to begin with. From personal experience, we have used every system that WDW has ever employed. I think that my favorite was "30 days in advance for on-site guests and 'day of' for everyone else." But there were far fewer restaurants back then, and I can absolutely see (and agree) with why they allow off-site people to book in advance. I think the happy medium would be to see a return to the 60 day window. Vacation planning sort of moves from:
  1. I haven't even decided that I am going to be in WDW on January 26; to
  2. We plan to be at WDW, but I have no idea what I am doing on January 26; to
  3. I am formulating a plan that puts us in a particular place on January 26; to
  4. I have a pretty good idea what we will be doing on January 26; to
  5. I am pretty sure I know what we will be doing on January 26; to
  6. I definitely know what we want to do on January 26; to
  7. Tomorrow is January 26, and if I haven't figured it out by now, I'm sunk!
It is quite natural for people to want to make their ADRs somewhere in stages 4 through 7 and if frankly makes little sense to make them in stages 1 through 3. I know that I make most of mine at the 180 day mark, but in all honesty, I cancel and rebook between one-half and two-thirds of my ADRs after their initial booking due to schedule changes. (Some of my own doing, but mostly of Disney's doing.) Given the new FP timing schedules, it seems as if the 60-90 day mark is the most logical point to make ADRs, and that puts one solidly in stages 4 through 7. Were Disney to move to a model based on that sort of timing, many/most of the complaints here would melt away.

In reading through this thread, it appears that most of the angst is caused by the 180 day policy, and not the fact of ADRs to begin with.
I agree. Certainly, being able to make a reservation at a restaurant is normal. We do that at home. We do that when we travel. But at home, we might call on Wednesday for a reservation on Saturday. We don't call in January for a reservation in June.

I agree. Certainly, being able to make a reservation at a restaurant is normal. We do that at home. We do that when we travel. But at home, we might call on Wednesday for a reservation on Saturday. We don't call in January for a reservation in June.
Definitely, but that's true in the outside world too. Plenty of times we have shown up at a restaurant at home only to be told the wait was 45 minutes or more so we turned around and went elsewhere. I think people are used to that. What the average guest isn't used to, however, is needing to make reservations 6 months in advance. That wouldn't even occur to a normal person who isn't plugged into the whole Disney thing like we are.

If you book with Disney, they ask you if you want ADRs over the phone if you are within 180 days, they send you mail and e-mails, they tell you over and over again that you can book ADRs. Granted, the people who book after 180 days are at a disadvantage, but you get fair warning. So they could reduce the ADR window to a time frame when most guests are booking.

When I booked our first vacation in 2003, we were two young adults, so no dining was crucial, but I did somehow want to eat in Cinderella's castle...when we called to make our plans a few weeks out, there was no CRT available. Honestly, it was much better to know I had been shut out at that point (over the phone) then to have to have the disappointment on vacation.
And that was without kids.

I understand that planning is a pain, but I rather compete with people for ADRs before vacation not during vacation...a hot, humid June day with 3 kids in tow.

In reading through this thread, it appears that most of the angst is caused by the 180 day policy, and not the fact of ADRs to begin with.

I agree ... for the most part. Just because I am not sure if "day of" would work as it would create a scenario where people are rushing to wherever you have to go to make the ADR's just like you used to have the "running of the Bulls" to get TSMM paper fast passes.

I wonder if something like:
- 60 days for people onsite, 30 days otherwise (so same as for FP+ ... or if they want to stagger things, do 90 and 60)
- leave ~20% of openings for walk ups - this way if you are flexible and don't want to make plans or are a local there is still a chance to eat places

I wonder if something like:
- 60 days for people onsite, 30 days otherwise
This was indeed one of the iterations that they once used. And I liked it. It may have been the best of all the systems used.

I only eat at a select few restaurants that require ADRs, but I DEFINITELY want to be able to make ADRs!! Otherwise I'd worry about missing my favorite restaurants.

I understand locals would prefer more spontaneity; I would too if I were local. Locals usually have opportunities to try again if they miss out on a restaurant. I have my one vacation, and that's my one chance to eat at Be Our Guest (and also fit in favorite attractions) for the next year+. I used to live in Florida and cared far less about plans or missing favorites because I knew I'd be back within a few months. Now I live in Michigan, can't visit as often, and usually travel with more people. I need a plan and an ADR. :sunny:

I agree it's bizarre to make dining reservations 180 days out! Disney probably does it in part to reward people who plan waaay ahead, which Disney prefers. Also, as JimmyV detailed, with a later ADR opening date more people compete for ADRs at the exact moment ADRs open. The system might hang up or crash more often than it already does... eeek. I DO think they should upgrade their systems to handle the traffic and figure out a better way.

Also, I agree they should leave some reservations for walk-up/same-day! I get why Disney allows everything to book up. The demand is there. At least people are incentivized to cancel 24-hrs in advance due to the cancellation fee, thus hopefully some last-minute availability pops up.

Disney is such a unique destination when it comes to dining logistics. I definitely think the system can be improved but I see why they do what they do... mostly. More E-ticket restaurants would help spread the demand, perhaps!

Last edited:
It wouldn't bother me a bit if the current system for ADRs goes away. We've used it a couple of times, but I find that it takes up too much time for a sit down dinner every day. We just stick to QS now and if we decide we want to do a TS, then we go to the resort desk and see what is available. For the most part now, we only book a breakfast at O'Hana.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter