321GO - The Alternative West Coast TR - Day 1

Chilly

RIP Tag Fairy
Thursday May 17th

We got up at our normal time for going to work and get ready fairly leisurely packing up the last bits as we go. DHs parents arrived late to take us to the airport but i'd expected that and told them to come earlier than needed. We have a brilliant run to Heathrow, not even a lorry blowing a tyre slows us down and we arrive at the airport 30 minutes early. This is when the drama kicks in although not holiday drama thankfully but house buying drama and I spend most of the morning on the phone trying to get it sorted out. In between phone calls we garb breakfast number 2 in Weatherspoons, bacon butty for DH, sausage butty for me. We are at one of the far away gates so after a quick stop in duty free to get some make-up we hop on the monorail. We are hardly at the gate for 5 minutes before they start boarding. I hadn't been able to get our favoured seats at the back of the plane so we were a 2 of the middle 4. After take off I watch the film "We bought a zoo". We both get chicken curry to eat and its ok for plane food. I noticed that more than half the plane seemed to be sleeping which I found odd as it was the middle of the afternoon but as I was feeling a bit tired myself I decided to join them. When I woke up I was very surprised to find i'd been asleep for about 4 hours, it certainly made the flight go quickly. Next up I put on "Up" and they came round with the snacks which were chicken salad sandwichs and muffins. Once we landed and got through security in what seemed a very nice airport then we had the dreaded wait to see if our cases had arrived with us, this was helped by Mike spotting Jason Bradbury from the Gadget Show they must have been filming an episode in Canada. Our cases arrive and we leave Vancouver airport getting on the monorail into town then walk the last bit to our hotel with a small detour as it first Mike sends us the wrong way up a street. The walk was do able but I was happy we had our new 4 wheel cases. We checked into the Blue Horizon Hotel and got a free "upgrade" to a kingsize bed but it was only on the 5th floor and I had hoped for higher up. Pretty big room though with great windows which if higher up would have been a great view.

Holiday2012001.jpg

Holiday2012002.jpg

Holiday2012003.jpg

Holiday2012005.jpg

Holiday2012007.jpg

After a rest and refresh we set off for a walk down to the harbour, I couldn't believe how lovely the weather was. Even with my 4 hour nap I was starting to get tired again and hungry so we grabbed some fast food, pizza slice for Mike and a Big Mac for me which gave me a bit more energy so off walking again.

Holiday2012010.jpg

Holiday2012012.jpg

Holiday2012014.jpg

Holiday2012018.jpg

Holiday2012021.jpg

Holiday2012025.jpg

On the way back to the hotel we picked up some cupcakes to have back at the hotel (yes the pink one is Mike's). They were GOOD cupcakes. I wrote up my trip notes and tried to stay awake as long as possible but I kept dropping off and gave up at 8:30pm which was 04:30am UK time.

Holiday2012029.jpg

Great start :goodvibes the hotel room looks like it will do us very nicely. :thumbsup2

Lovely photos - it really does look a beautiful city.

p.s. I'd have chosen the pink cupcake too. :)

YaY!

lol - love the old tell them an earlier time trick, if thats what it takes to get to arrive when you want them to then thats what you have to do. :thumbsup2

The hotel room looks lovely, cool view. The scenery looks absolutely beautiful.

Wow! Them cup cakes look so yummy. :goodvibes

x

Hurrah for Day 1!

I loved We Bought A Zoo and all the food you've mentioned is making me peckish - time to watch an animal movie with some comfort food!

Looking forward to Day 2... popcorn::

Great start and lovely photos:thumbsup2
We passed through Vancouver a few years ago on the way to Whistler but never got the chance to look around.

Oh Vancouver looks lovely, reminds me so much of Seattle. Can't wait to see and hear more :)

Great start :goodvibes the hotel room looks like it will do us very nicely. :thumbsup2

Lovely photos - it really does look a beautiful city.

p.s. I'd have chosen the pink cupcake too. :)

We liked the hotel as it was very central.

YaY!

lol - love the old tell them an earlier time trick, if thats what it takes to get to arrive when you want them to then thats what you have to do. :thumbsup2

The hotel room looks lovely, cool view. The scenery looks absolutely beautiful.

Wow! Them cup cakes look so yummy. :goodvibes

x

They were I wish we'd have chance to try some other flavours.

Hurrah for Day 1!

I loved We Bought A Zoo and all the food you've mentioned is making me peckish - time to watch an animal movie with some comfort food!

Looking forward to Day 2... popcorn::

Why did they have to set it in the USA though!?

Great start and lovely photos:thumbsup2
We passed through Vancouver a few years ago on the way to Whistler but never got the chance to look around.

It was a lovely city so clean and new but lovely mountains as the backdrop.

Woo Hoo, you've started :cool1:

Can't wait to read along with this one :thumbsup2

Will try to post as often as possible, day 2 now up.

Oh Vancouver looks lovely, reminds me so much of Seattle. Can't wait to see and hear more :)

Seattle will come later in the TR!

Vancouver is on our list todo...we are huge fans of Dale Chihuly and he has several things we'd like to see there. I think you were standing next to one, the big blue glass sculpture.

looking forward to reading more..:thumbsup2

Off to a fab start, nice long nap on the way over, fab hotel room:goodvibes

I just found this. Vancouver looks beautiful and the hotel looks very nice. I can't wait to read more.

Corinna

Vancouver is on our list todo...we are huge fans of Dale Chihuly and he has several things we'd like to see there. I think you were standing next to one, the big blue glass sculpture.

looking forward to reading more..:thumbsup2

Great start :)

I just found this. Vancouver looks beautiful and the hotel looks very nice. I can't wait to read more.

Corinna

Off to a fab start, nice long nap on the way over, fab hotel room:goodvibes

Thanks all for reading.

Nice start to the trip :thumbsup2
Wish I could get 4 minutes sleep on a plane
Fancy seeing Jason......I'm a gadget show fan ;)

Fantastic start Claire, what a fab looking city, your hotel room looks lovely:goodvibes

Great start, the hotel room looks amazing as well as the cupcakes.

Off to read day 2:goodvibes

Looks like a nice hotel Claire. I know Elaine was waiting to see what you thought of it.

Great photos. Just off to read your next day :goodvibes

Sorry Claire, I hadn't realised that you had started your reports. Luckily things are a bit 'slack' here at work so I have plenty of time to read. Can't see the pictures at work, though, so will need to come back and look at them later.

I am very impressed you slept on the flight - I can never, ever sleep on the plane.

I am dying to read more about your trip as your photos on FB looked great. I would love to visit Canada but can't seem to drag myself away from Florida.

Nice start to the trip :thumbsup2
Wish I could get 4 minutes sleep on a plane
Fancy seeing Jason......I'm a gadget show fan ;)

Let me know if you see a show in Canada.

Fantastic start Claire, what a fab looking city, your hotel room looks lovely:goodvibes

We were very happy with what we saw.

Great start, the hotel room looks amazing as well as the cupcakes.

Off to read day 2:goodvibes

Could eat a cupcake now.

Looks like a nice hotel Claire. I know Elaine was waiting to see what you thought of it.

Great photos. Just off to read your next day :goodvibes

I think Elaine will be pleased its very central.

Sorry Claire, I hadn't realised that you had started your reports. Luckily things are a bit 'slack' here at work so I have plenty of time to read. Can't see the pictures at work, though, so will need to come back and look at them later.

I am very impressed you slept on the flight - I can never, ever sleep on the plane.

I am dying to read more about your trip as your photos on FB looked great. I would love to visit Canada but can't seem to drag myself away from Florida.

I know that feeling and I am missing WDW but it was a brilliant holiday.

Oooo good start! It looks all beautiful and you did really well to sleep for 4 hours.... that is impressive even more so that you got to stay up until what was 4.30am UK time.

Love that room, shame that it wasn't higher though but I do love me a King bed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter