3 Year Old Twins? Advice?

girl_librarian

Earning My Ears
I would really like to take our twins this October. They will turn 3 on the 26th so I'd like to take them before that so they can get in free. Is this going to be too much work to be fun? They are good at going with the flow, good in restaurants and mostly listen well but they are runners and usually go in opposite directions. My husband is convinced that it will be miserable but so many other people seem to have good trips with their toddlers. Am I just engaging in wishful thinking? Do you have any advice for taking toddlers? Even if that advice is just to NOT take them.

I wouldn't take small children without a stroller. Or without planning on renting a double. And if the case of runners I would have a couple of toddler leashes along for when they want to walk.

I’d go, I think, but definitely would use a stroller with twins that age (as maxiesmom just said above). We took our twin boys when they were 4 (almost 5) and it was a great age. Didn’t get a stroller even & it went quite smoothly (that’s much older though). I’d definitely plan on either afternoon breaks, or just not staying the full day (maybe rope drop but leave before dinner so you could eat at your resort and then get a good night’s sleep).

I think personally that as long as future Disney trips are expected to take place this would be a nice time to go, but if the plan is that this would be THE trip (maybe not returning at all, or at least not for a long while) then I’d wait until they’re older, maybe at least 5. You will get a lot out of enjoying them experiencing things at such a young age (now), but I just mean the ideal age to experience attractions etc would be older. And less work for you. (Not sure if you’re still changing diapers, but I was glad to not have to deal with that or having to stick to a set nap schedule during our first family trip.)

I wouldn't take small children without a stroller. Or without planning on renting a double. And if the case of runners I would have a couple of toddler leashes along for when they want to walk.
We will definitely take our stroller. After a day of walking at Disney I'm ready to use a stroller! I also have those cute backpack leashes that we use.

We took our twins at almost 3 (and again at almost 4).

I agree with @MNtwinsplus1mom that if it was THE trip, I would not choose that age. Not just for memory reasons, but because it is too stressful if your goal is to do EVERYthing.

What worked best for our family we found was 2/3-3/4 days with them mostly being rope drop (am EMH) to one FP+ to lunch to 2 more FP+ and then leave and go back to resort for pool, nap, quick service type dinner. We chose ONE fireworks/late night activity each trip (so that day was sleep in, pool, head to park around 2-3 with FP+, dinner, fireworks). I originally tried the rope drop and then afternoon break and then back our for dinner; however, ours took forever to get to nap and then didn't wake up well and we were stressed getting to dinner and it was not a fun experience. Also, while we used Child Swap a few times because we had an older son, it was much easier just to concentrate on rides we could all do.

Mine did a really good job staying with us and not running off. They were just naturally more hesitant in that strange, huge environment. We did do safety tatts, though. We also utilized the stroller.

We had to have the attitude of just having fun, not getting every second and every cent out of the vacation. It was fine if they had the most fun watching Disney cartoons on tv or going in the Tiki Room 5 times.

I should add. It was a lot of fun, but it was still work. You are still caring for your kids 24/7.

That was my absolute favorite age to take twins! One was a runner; one slow as Christmas! We used single umbrella strollers & some days rented the big double from the parks when dealing with folding up strollers & darting toddlers was too much. That was the biggest challenge we faced. We did also use the backpack leashes- highly recommend!
Actually we had 3 two year olds with us that year & it still remains one of our most memorable & fun trips. There are so many rides & characters they would enjoy. The loud fireworks, probably not so much!
The baby stations are fabulous places to take a break to cool off or just to have a few quiet moments. We did make time for afternoon naps & pool time & didn’t really go after dark(that I remember) & stuck to their regular bedtimes as much as possible. We had such a successful trip that we took them one more time before they turned three. Not many times you can say Disney is a bargain, but when taking 2 two year olds it is!

We took our twins at 23 months and it was an awesome trip! They were part of a group of 11 but they set the pace, we took breaks when they were overwhelmed and hit the parks when they were at their prime. Of course we had our double stroller also. We have such great memories of their faces lighting up as they seen all of the sights and sounds. We also went in July and it was still an amazing trip. I agree with everyone above, wait a year or so if this is THE trip, but if there will be more in the next couple of years then I say go. At this age they aren't old enough to know what they are missing/not big enough to ride so you can really relax and enjoy the things that they can, and there is plenty. I am an experienced Disney-goer and I am still in awe of the stuff we didn't get to when we were there for 8 days.

We took our twin girls when they were 2 and 3. They had a lot of fun and we still talk about the trip which keeps the memories alive. I do recommend bringing a double side by side stroller. Also hit the parks at rope drop and head back to the hotel for a mid day nap. Don’t plan on hitting too many attractions though. Be reasonable in your planning for a great time.

We also took our twins when they were 3. It was a much better trip than when they were 1. Sure, it's still a lot of work...as you know twins always are. But at that age, while they may not have long term memories of the trip, they will be old enough to have some basic understanding of things and interact more. That was a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed it. We have never been ones to be in the parks from open to close, so we just took our time and left before they had meltdowns.

My opinion is definitely bring a double stroller with good storage. Ours was nothing fancy, just a basic double wide with a big area underneath. We used it for years and it was great.

Just like everyone has an opinion on strollers, there are opinions on leashes. Personally, I would never consider putting my kids on one.

Last edited:
Only you know if it's too much "work". If you can enlist another set of hands to go with you, it might make life easier.

We took our two when they were three (not twins but only a month apart in age so nearly so). Stroller is a must. We would do an early dinner (like 4:30) and then head back to the room for a swim and bed. We go every other year or so, so had no issues missing fireworks this trip. Besides, my girls hate the noise of fireworks so it would not have been fun. We were able to see some from our balcony so that was nice for us.
It was a very go with the flow trip. If they slept in ok we didn’t stress it. If they were up early we took advantage of it. We did stop at just about every bathroom in the park. They were recently potty trained but the holding part was not so great. Before each ride we went. To this day we have a rule- if one goes we all go.
We also had athe backpack rule- we only brought what fit into a backpack into the park. It made dealing with buses easier. We didn’t unpack it until after we got to the park and only as needed. And we repacked it while waiting to get on the bus. Bring those “disposal” kids cups with straws or your own kids cups and a cup tether. And goldfish in tupperware so they don’t get crushed.
That trip was wonderful. The girls bought into the whole Disney magic thing and were old enough to really get into it.

My twins first trip was at 19 months and their second was their third birthday trip. That trip also had their 10 year old sister and their 6 month old brother. We had 3 under three at Disney and was probably the most economical trip. We managed to find a GREAT rate at BC and stayed club level. At that time, children under 3 didn't count in the room, so we really had 6 in the room. I believe this has changed and only one child under three can "not count" in a room, but I could be wrong. It was a great trip. Kids loved everything. We had a baby jogger city select with both seats in. We took turns with the baby and the twins riding. I think I also wore the baby some. One twin still needed a nap at 3, but was a good napper and could sleep anywhere. We were up early and did rope drop, but didn't see many fireworks.

Yes, it's work. I like to view Disney as an experience and not a vacation (to me it's really hard to have a TRUE vacation when you bring your littles with you). I adore Disney and the year twins were 4.5-5.5, I took all 4 kids by myself 10 times (drove 7 hours each way to do it). Crazy bucket list thing I needed to do. I wanted to create memories that didn't involve me asking if they picked up their laundry, remembered their school things...it was just me and them enjoying the most magical place.

I had a runner. It does make it more challenging. He rode in the stroller a lot.

Life is short. I'd go!

Our youngest turned 3 on our most recent trip (I agree that cost savings is tempting- and I only had one that age!). It was a great age- he loved the rides, he was free at the buffets on the days before his birthday. He was tall enough to try SDMT (liked it) and SDD (didn't like it). We spent hours in the boneyard at AK. As long as you can go slow and be flexible (and split up if for a little while if their preferences don't match- my LO is really afraid of fireworks, others seem to love them.), I think it could be a great trip!

We took our triplets at 3, right before they turned 4. It was only a "day trip" to the MK as it was part of our port canaveral stop on a Disney Cruise that left from NYC.

It was a long day for them because we had to be up early to get the DME from the port to the park, and then we spent a few hours in the parks, and then another bus ride back to the port. We didn't stay in the parks too long because we could see how tired they (and we) were getting. We did have strollers for them so they just got pushed around and simply had to get up and ride the rides that we did.

Just take it easy and don't go too nuts and you should be OK. If the kids want to walk around and explore, let them. Just stay close and hold hands.

Subsequent to that trip (we also purchased DVC in 2012) we have been to Disney every year with them from then until 2017, and our trips have always been pretty great. After a break last year we're all looking forward to returning this year.

Last edited:
You can do it! I am really glad we took DS as a 1.5 year old ... and we'll be going again when he's almost 3!

As others have said, a good double stroller is a must (we loved our Joovy X2 because it was smaller and easy to maneuver through all doorways).

Keep to their normal nap schedule and plan for midday breaks at your hotel - you'll probably need a nap too!

Don't be ashamed to make them wear a leash whenever they're out of the stroller. Even standing in line, it was nice to keep DS from running into other people or trying to climb on everything.

Have snacks at the ready at ALL TIMES. My kids never fail to ask for food when we're in line, on a bus, watching a show, etc. Having things in our backpack saved us from waiting to find a kiosk or quick service for food.

Oh, and be prepared to either bring a bubble wand or shell out money for one in the park. They are TODDLER MAGNETS. ;)

Fun, but exhausting. My oldest went alone the week before she turned 3 and it was great, super easy, but there were three adults (me, my sister, and my mom) for one kid. We went back to years later the week before she turned 5 and with her about to turn 3 sister and it was still great, but a totally different level of exhausting with two young kids and two adults- and we're talking two really well behaved, overall flexible kids. Did we have fun? Yes. Did we make great family memories? Also yes. Were we dead on our feet by the time the week was over? Yep.

Our twins were just shy of 3 on their first Disney trip.
We really enjoyed their excitement and still cherishes those photos!
Prepare the best that you can, go with the flow and make some sweet memories!

Definitely take a double stroller. Take those toddler leashes but try to get the ones with the backpacks so they feel cool carrying around their own little snacks and stuff explain to them MANY MANY MANY times leading up to the trip the behavior that is expected and that its ok to also get upset and cry but melt downs will NOT be allowed that one of you either mommy or daddy will be taking tantrum throwing toddler back to the room to rest for the rest of the day while the other one gets o stay in the park. That if they feel tired and exhausted but express it to you instead of throwing a tantrum that they will be allowed to nap in said stroller tell them that if by the end of the trip they have followed all the rules they will get a special remember Disney trip souvenir and the possibility to return in the future!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter