25% capacity - what does that actually feel like?

It really depends on how they are loading the vehicles and how often they have to clean. I've been watching Universal wait times since they just opened and most of the attractions look like fairly short wait times compared to normal weekends, but the big ones were up to 90 minutes at times. So, I think we can expect something similar. Some rides will have short times, others will be long. The biggest difference will be walking around. You might actually be able to walk down the middle of Main Street without anyone running you over. Just the pleasure of being able to walk around without 5 other families cutting us off will be a nice change.

For those that can't click the link in my previous message, here is a direct quote from the article of the pertinent information:

This is not applicable to the topic being discussed in this thread.

I'll believe that showing proof of vaccination is required for entry into Disneyland when Disney itself announces it.

I'm totally jealous of everybody who's going to get to go, since we're stuck here in AZ and can't get into DL yet. Even if you do end up having to wait 45 min to get on an attraction, just think...YOU'LL BE IN DISNEYLAND when it's been closed for OVER AN ENTIRE YEAR! Just imagine - sitting there at the French Market listening to the sounds of the telegraph over at the train station. Or sitting on a park bench on Main Street. Seeing the castle up close IN PERSON! Riding a Main Street vehicle!

It sounds simply divine if you ask me.

I hope everybody has a truly wonderful time!

But the part of that article you left out was about the tiers in the blueprint for reopening. As Newsom has made very clear, over and over, theme parks are NOT included in that and have their own tier system.

The question about out of state vaccinated people asks about EVENTS. Events are not theme parks. So it’s not that the article is lying, it’s that you’re misunderstanding what it’s saying.

It actually is applicable to theme parks, BUT the rub is that the theme park then can ONLY admit fully vaccinated or negative tested individuals in order to be able to increase capacity. If they don't want to do that, they are stuck at the original tier allowances for capacity.

There is NO WAY Disney decides to only allow in fully vaccinated or negative tested individuals. They are allegedly not even considering this for the cruise line at this point.

This new guidance seems to be mostly applicable to smaller events in limited capacity indoor venues, like theaters, concert halls, banquet halls and such.

Maybe... but people also thought there was no way they’d be closed for over a year, no way they’d cancel character meets, no way they’d make people wear masks to a theme park,no way they’d get rid of APs, no way will former AP holders ever buy day tickets, Etc etc. so.... anything is possible!

Plus, they don’t necessarily run the attractions at max capacity under normal circumstances, so I can’t imagine they would max them out when capacity is 25% or less.

I’d guess they’ll staff and operate the attractions to a point where lines will approximate usual wait times on a lighter day - so wait times won’t be outrageous, but it’s not going to be all walk ons.

Although, I’d love to be wrong too!
Since it is “always about the money,” I think DLR will staff rides as low as they think they can get away with, ie until the waits are long but not hours long that causes problems with distancing the lines. I do not think it will be like a “slow day in the parks pre-COVID” at all, based on what happened at WDW. They throttled back ride capacity even though the park capacity was reduced, such that rides still have (IMO) long waits. They would not have these waits if they were fully staffed but they are not (This is not withstanding the reduction of ride capacity due to COVID, this is in ADDITION to it). I am used to MP and not waiting more than 10-20 minutes max for anything. While waiting an hour in the SB line post-COVID is shorter than the SB line pre-COVID, it is still no where near what I was waiting with FP/MP. So if you adjust your expections, you should be fine. If you think it is going to be staffed at full ride through-put capacity but with 25% of the guests, I think you will be very disappointed. I hope I am wrong, but read the WDW forums to see how it is out there....

Well, apparently I'd the require proof of vaccination or negative COVID test from all guests, they can now expand to 75% capacity:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sa...overnment/capitol-alert/article250710274.html
Who knows if Disney would go that route, but if they do, this whole discussion is now moot.
If you look at the Theme Park tiers (which are separate from the "regular tiers") there is NO OPTION to allow this.
But the part of that article you left out was about the tiers in the blueprint for reopening. As Newsom has made very clear, over and over, theme parks are NOT included in that and have their own tier system.

The question about out of state vaccinated people asks about EVENTS. Events are not theme parks. So it’s not that the article is lying, it’s that you’re misunderstanding what it’s saying.
People will read into it what they wish to. Problem is, those of us that have been following this since last year understand what it means. I'm curious if anything will change Tuesday.

It actually is applicable to theme parks, BUT the rub is that the theme park then can ONLY admit fully vaccinated or negative tested individuals in order to be able to increase capacity. If they don't want to do that, they are stuck at the original tier allowances for capacity.
Actually, it isn't applicable to theme parks. If you look at each segment, the ones it is applicable to has a statement as to what percentage allowance they have based on vaccination/not vaccinated. Theme parks in not included.

Wow I only went a few weeks before you did and had a totally different experience. That spring break crowd may be what's making all the difference because sure the lines look ridiculous but the longest wait time I had clocked at 60 min for TOT. The normally long lines pre-covid (FOP, SDMT, Slinky, etc) were all under 60 min for me. This allowed me to go on rides more than once whereas before with FP I would just use my FP once and that's it since I wasn't going to wait 3 hours in any line. So for that reason I didn't miss FP. Also most lines were constantly moving. The lines that moved slower are the ones in boats or small vehicles that are harder to social distance people. I had mostly table service meals so can't comment on mobile orders but I suspect it will probably be similar since TOD mobile order was a bit of a pain to use. Anyway, like you as a legacy pass holder, I wonder if I will have a different feel with dland just because I pretty much never wait in line with MaxPass. It was always I can come back another day to ride it. And I never stay for more than a few hours each visit but probably will feel I need to since we're all paying for tickets and parking now. If it ends up similar to my experience in March at WDW, I'll be totally cool with that.
Yea it was def weird. Since we live in CA we only go to DW every 5 or more years. I was very hesitent to spend that kind of money on a trip that was not going to be the full experience but we ended up having a ton of flight vouchers that we needed to use. We orig booked the trip for mid April but then my mom was unable to go and my daughter wanted to but could only go during spring break. I was really hesitent but we made the best of it. You are right though the spring break crowds were crazy. The last time I had gone was in 16 before Pandora was open and we got to the parks every day an hour before opening (except epcot). they wouldn't even let you line up till right at 11 and the parks opened at 11. We literally got there 15 minutes before and they sent us away. Crazy. But the other 3 let you get there an hour before and even doing that there was a HUGE line for things like FOP. We got in before official park opening, walked straight there and the line was 98 minutes long already. I don't know where all those people came from because we all got in at the same time. We never did go on it either. I feel too like it was def not a normal trip and that I missed a lot. I have never gone and only been able to go on each ride only 1 time. When we waited for peter pan they made us wind all through Columbia Harbor house. It was crazy.

Guys, the Universal Studios wait times are INSANE. I realize they only have a few attractions open, but geez, when people are reporting 90-130 minutes for the actual wait time, not just what’s quoted... 😬😳😬
Express pass is worth the money there.

Adding in: I’m curious too with how wait times will pan out with DL. Plus the social distanced lines in areas such as Fantasyland and Adventureland where it’s already compact.

Last edited:
Guys, the Universal Studios wait times are INSANE. I realize they only have a few attractions open, but geez, when people are reporting 90-130 minutes for the actual wait time, not just what’s quoted... 😬😳😬
I'm praying and hoping that this isn't the case opening weekend. There are quite a few attractions in each park and I hope that's efficient enough to space the crowds.

We went to WDW in October. It was great. It's going to be hard to go back again once it's full capacity. Yes there were lines for the stores. Yes the ride lines wound around for what seemed like ages. But you know what? Stores weren't crowded and the long lines moved at a good rate. We couldn't play the millennium falcon game on play disney because both times we rode it moved too fast.
The biggest bummer was the closed food stalls (since lines were redirected past them) and the Resistance shops being closed.
The rides won't all be walk on. You will have to search to find a seat if you eat at peak times. But if you have anxiety issues in large crowds you won't.
Don't go to universal. Shoulder to shoulder people, no control over how many are packed in shops, it was an anxiety nightmare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter