2042 Expiration

Disneysweetheart23

Earning My Ears
So I’m wondering if at this point it’s even worth it to purchase at any of the 2042 resorts?

For those of you more experienced, and more versed in the price points, at what cost would you consider to be reasonable to purchase at BWV or BCV?

I’m seeing all sorts of different resale prices. Can someone also explain the huge price point differences? For example, I saw a contract for BCV for 300 pts at 158 per point. But then I also saw a BCV of 400 pts for 143 per point. Is it just harder to sell larger contracts, so the price per point is sold at a lower cost?

Thanks all!

Yes, larger contracts are harder to sell than smaller ones, BCV is a smaller resort than BWV and has SAB which is a big draw, so people pay more for that over BWV.

In terms of 2042, it really depends on whether that is your resort of choice, I just sold both my BWV contracts because I own RIV...SSR for sleep around,.,and wanted BLT instead as I like that better. BWV was my DHs favorite but he doesn’t go like I do so I changed,

I like the longer expiration which was a plus for my kids. But, if those resorts are where you want to be, then consider them regardless, especially if you travel during the fall and early winter when both those resorts are difficult to get, especially studios.

I bought BRV last year, and the 2042 expiration is fine with me. It's still 22 years, at a resort I absolutely love, and I was able to get a good price for it ($93/point at the time).

BCV and BWV are a little more difficult for me, because they price so much higher. I love the location, however, and I love the BCV pool. If I could get BCV around $120 and BWV around $100, I might be tempted.

So I’m wondering if at this point it’s even worth it to purchase at any of the 2042 resorts?

For those of you more experienced, and more versed in the price points, at what cost would you consider to be reasonable to purchase at BWV or BCV?

I’m seeing all sorts of different resale prices. Can someone also explain the huge price point differences? For example, I saw a contract for BCV for 300 pts at 158 per point. But then I also saw a BCV of 400 pts for 143 per point. Is it just harder to sell larger contracts, so the price per point is sold at a lower cost?

Thanks all!
What cost is reasonable is probably more based on your circumstances than our opinion. I can tell you that we recently bought a BCV contract. It still has 22 years on it and I expect our heirs to have to deal with it someday. We bought it because that is where DW likes to stay. We got enough points to do an every-other-year stay there. Generally speaking, a larger number of points contract could sell for less per point as it still represents a larger commitment. However, there could be more to consider if it is stripped of current points. That might make the price per point a little lower as well. I would try to figure out how often you will stay, how long a typical stay will be, what time of year, and what size villa will fit your needs. Then see what size contract fits. Good luck.

What cost is reasonable is probably more based on your circumstances than our opinion. I can tell you that we recently bought a BCV contract. It still has 22 years on it and I expect our heirs to have to deal with it someday. We bought it because that is where DW likes to stay. We got enough points to do an every-other-year stay there. Generally speaking, a larger number of points contract could sell for less per point as it still represents a larger commitment. However, there could be more to consider if it is stripped of current points. That might make the price per point a little lower as well. I would try to figure out how often you will stay, how long a typical stay will be, what time of year, and what size villa will fit your needs. Then see what size contract fits. Good luck.

Same here. Enough said.

This is a tough call, especially for a prospective buyer.

I've got a small XXX contract that I've considered selling. We're looking at probably 2 years before being able to use it again due to CV19 and selling it now would give us flexibility to buy something else with a longer expiration later this year when prices will potentially drop even further. The negative is we'd lose the blue card, and ability to stay use points in the newer resorts, but not sure that is worth worrying about at this point to be honest. We've definitely gotten our money out of it since buying it in 2012 so would still be way ahead of the game. Tough call all around.

Eta. Removed resort

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it depends on many factors, including your age. DH and I are in our mid 30's and when we started talking about buying DVC we immediately decided against anything with a 2042 expiration date as it would expire right about the time we start thinking about taking grandchildren. Even if we do decide to sell early even if we kept it for 10 years (which I think is even longer than the average length of ownership) at that point those contracts are going to have 12 years left on them. They won't sell for much.

As much as I adore BCV the cexpiration date was a deal-breaker for us. Particularly at those prices. I buy a contract with half the length it better be half the price or less.

I’m not interested In 2042 resorts to own. Really down to 20 years ( this year is out and 2042 is out). I like knowing I have 20 years then options after that= another 20 years of use or a property that has value to sell. I will stay at 2042 Resorts but not own.

Yes, larger contracts are harder to sell than smaller ones, BCV is a smaller resort than BWV and has SAB which is a big draw, so people pay more for that over BWV.

In terms of 2042, it really depends on whether that is your resort of choice, I just sold both my BWV contracts because I own RIV...SSR for sleep around,.,and wanted BLT instead as I like that better. BWV was my DHs favorite but he doesn’t go like I do so I changed,

I like the longer expiration which was a plus for my kids. But, if those resorts are where you want to be, then consider them regardless, especially if you travel during the fall and early winter when both those resorts are difficult to get, especially studios.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

I bought BRV last year, and the 2042 expiration is fine with me. It's still 22 years, at a resort I absolutely love, and I was able to get a good price for it ($93/point at the time).

BCV and BWV are a little more difficult for me, because they price so much higher. I love the location, however, and I love the BCV pool. If I could get BCV around $120 and BWV around $100, I might be tempted.

Thanks!! I appreciate it!

You brought up good points (no pun intended lol ) that we hadn’t considered. And now it makes more sense to go about it the way you described above. Thank you!!

I would consider a 2042 resort IF I knew:
a. That Disney would offer an extension option for current members
AND
b. What that option would cost?

I do believe that extensions will be offered as they were previously at OKW, since trying to resell several resorts all expiring in 2042 at the same time does not make sense to Disney, however I expect them to come back at a much higher cost per year for the renewal - perhaps a 10 year term at $30-40/point (or more by 2042!), as opposed to the 15 years for $15 that OKW owners were previously offered.

I'm also concerned that the high relative value of BCV could cause Disney to decide to take the entire resort back in 2042 either for resale or to convert back into a traditional resort, or to charge a higher renewal price as we see with the variable direct pricing for sold out resorts, while others like Boulder Ridge or Old Key West would be more advantageous for DVC to just renew and enjoy a steady flow of renewal income without costs of developing and selling a whole new resort.

Buying 2042 resort contracts, either direct or resale, would be much more attractive if Disney were to have an "add-on" option available at closing with an established price so you know exactly what your options will be beyond 2042 at the time you're looking to purchase.

I plan on using my contracts for a long time, potentially past 2042, but I also have some security in the fact that my 2054 contract will likely hold value for a longer period than the 2042 resorts, which will likely start to significantly drop in value without a renewal option over the next 10 years. There becomes a point when the value proposition is no longer there to spend $130, $150, or $170 per point on a resort, plus maintenance fees, with only a few visits left on it, especially for someone who may be buying a smaller contract with the intent to only use every other year.

My guess is that they will repackage and resell the 2042 resorts, but with favorable options for people who currently own, like discounted points before they go on the open market or something along those lines. But I think they will be new 50 year contracts and the point charts will be completely reconfigured. Because they probably don’t want to try to sell all of the 2042 resorts at the same time, maybe some will get extensions and some will get repackaged. I would still buy a 2042 resort if the price was low enough, because 20 years is still a long time to enjoy the resort if the math works out. I kind of figure that DVC will be a fundamentally different product when all of those resorts expire, so it might not be a bad thing to get out then. Who knows!

I would consider a 2042 resort IF I knew:
a. That Disney would offer an extension option for current members
AND
b. What that option would cost?

I do believe that extensions will be offered as they were previously at OKW, since trying to resell several resorts all expiring in 2042 at the same time does not make sense to Disney, however I expect them to come back at a much higher cost per year for the renewal - perhaps a 10 year term at $30-40/point (or more by 2042!), as opposed to the 15 years for $15 that OKW owners were previously offered.

I'm also concerned that the high relative value of BCV could cause Disney to decide to take the entire resort back in 2042 either for resale or to convert back into a traditional resort, or to charge a higher renewal price as we see with the variable direct pricing for sold out resorts, while others like Boulder Ridge or Old Key West would be more advantageous for DVC to just renew and enjoy a steady flow of renewal income without costs of developing and selling a whole new resort.

Buying 2042 resort contracts, either direct or resale, would be much more attractive if Disney were to have an "add-on" option available at closing with an established price so you know exactly what your options will be beyond 2042 at the time you're looking to purchase.

I plan on using my contracts for a long time, potentially past 2042, but I also have some security in the fact that my 2054 contract will likely hold value for a longer period than the 2042 resorts, which will likely start to significantly drop in value without a renewal option over the next 10 years. There becomes a point when the value proposition is no longer there to spend $130, $150, or $170 per point on a resort, plus maintenance fees, with only a few visits left on it, especially for someone who may be buying a smaller contract with the intent to only use every other year.
Thanks so much for the response!

My guess is that they will repackage and resell the 2042 resorts, but with favorable options for people who currently own, like discounted points before they go on the open market or something along those lines. But I think they will be new 50 year contracts and the point charts will be completely reconfigured. Because they probably don’t want to try to sell all of the 2042 resorts at the same time, maybe some will get extensions and some will get repackaged. I would still buy a 2042 resort if the price was low enough, because 20 years is still a long time to enjoy the resort if the math works out. I kind of figure that DVC will be a fundamentally different product when all of those resorts expire, so it might not be a bad thing to get out then. Who knows!
Thanks! That’s something to think about!

There are many folks who claim they won't purchase a contract at DRR because of resale restrictions... they worry that resale value won't be as high as other resorts. But anyone buying a 2042 resort has to realize that those resorts have their own built in resale restrictions, ie diminishing years left on the contract, which will certainly lower the value of any 2042 resorts over the next 5 - 20 years.

I would definitely buy a 2042 resort today if that's the resort I wanted to stay at, but I would also realize that resale value will drop as the years tick by. Folks who want to maintain a higher resale value would be better advised to purchase contracts with longer life spans while those who simply want to enjoy a favorite resort might be good candidates for 2042 purchases.

There are many folks who claim they won't purchase a contract at DRR because of resale restrictions... they worry that resale value won't be as high as other resorts. But anyone buying a 2042 resort has to realize that those resorts have their own built in resale restrictions, ie diminishing years left on the contract, which will certainly lower the value of any 2042 resorts over the next 5 - 20 years.

I would definitely buy a 2042 resort today if that's the resort I wanted to stay at, but I would also realize that resale value will drop as the years tick by. Folks who want to maintain a higher resale value would be better advised to purchase contracts with longer life spans while those who simply want to enjoy a favorite resort might be good candidates for 2042 purchases.
Thank you!!

We just put in an offer on BWV resale. It's only 150, enough for us to do a studio for about a week each year. We are in our late 40s and don't mind the 2042 expiration. That's still about 20 years. If you calculate it out, just based upon the hotel prices today, we still save money. Plus, we will be empty nesters in a few years. This will encourage us to go and enjoy Epcot and the festivals. Our son will be be old enough to enjoy that kind of trip then too. I never looked at this from the point of resale. I would only sell it if absolutely necessary. Since it's a small number of points, it's not that much money to try to resale. We might try to buy somewhere else later or even direct at a new resort.

I put an offer in on 150 at BWV and I plan on putting an offer in at AK with a later expiration, also for 150 points. I love the Epcot are and I enjoy not having to take transportation to get to 2 parks especially with kids. But for no kid trips I don’t really care and feel I would get a better value out of a later expiration. This is pure vacation money for me and I don’t plan on getting anything more out of it really. Having a later expiration on half of my points makes me “feel” a little better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!