2021 Disney Vacation Club Annual Dues

The article says "These credits will be given to the DVC member who owns the deed when the Annual Dues are billed in December 2020."
If I bought a resale contract where the 2020 dues were paid (it's not a new contract), but I paid by reimbursing the seller, will I get the credit? That note implies I will, but I saw someone post elsewhere that I wouldn't.

I always cringed when Members would complain about dues. I mean, the last thing needed was a cutback in maintenance and housekeeping. They were barely afloat as it was.
Full disclosure, that was several years back.

The article says "These credits will be given to the DVC member who owns the deed when the Annual Dues are billed in December 2020."
If I bought a resale contract where the 2020 dues were paid (it's not a new contract), but I paid by reimbursing the seller, will I get the credit? That note implies I will, but I saw someone post elsewhere that I wouldn't.
Yes, you'll get the credit. I got a small credit in the first bill I received after buying my first contract for extra taxes paid the previous year.

Yes, you'll get the credit. I got a small credit in the first bill I received after buying my first contract for extra taxes paid the previous year.
Agree with @zavandor . Whoever actually pays the 2021 dues bill will get the credit (owner at that time) even if a seller was previously reimbursed at closing based on an estimate. The credit will be reflected on the 2021 statement (bill).

If you think about it, what an involved hassle to figure out who paid what re dues in a resale. No benefit to DVC at all to go through that process - just a lot of potential for complaints and arguments!

I think it's a given that occupancy in 2021 will be less than the projected occupancy in 2020.
Based on this, how are these increases justified?

Just wondering .....

I think it's a given that occupancy in 2021 will be less than the projected occupancy in 2020.

Just wondering .....

Variations of this question have been answered repeatedly. DVC must budget as if it will be business-as-usual in 2021. It would be irresponsible to do otherwise.

It is likely owners will receive some credit for unused 2020 dues. But DVC has not yet given any indication of how much that will be. It may not be fully calculated since about 15% of the year remains. Disney is still tweaking things like park operating hours which impacts resort transportation cost. Villa occupancy will determine housekeeping needs, and so on.

Just wondering .....
And don’t forget that housekeeping costs are increasing due to more time and possibly different products needed to clean, not just villas between guests but also public areas. This is in addition to the already-scheduled pay increase. And I’m not sure it’s a given that occupancy will be less, since Disney is filling DVC rooms before reopening additional resorts.

And don’t forget that housekeeping costs are increasing due to more time and possibly different products needed to clean, not just villas between guests but also public areas. This is in addition to the already-scheduled pay increase. And I’m not sure it’s a given that occupancy will be less, since Disney is filling DVC rooms before reopening additional resorts.

True. If villas going to breakage are fully occupied by hotel guests, the typically shorter stays and additional cleaning protocol between guests could increase, instead of decrease, the housekeeping costs.

Agree with @zavandor . Whoever actually pays the 2021 dues bill will get the credit (owner at that time) even if a seller was previously reimbursed at closing based on an estimate. The credit will be reflected on the 2021 statement (bill).

If you think about it, what an involved hassle to figure out who paid what re dues in a resale. No benefit to DVC at all to go through that process - just a lot of potential for complaints and arguments!
Unless the policy has changed since then, this wasn’t the case when I bought a resale contract in the Fall of 2017. VGF was due a credit for tax overestimation of $0.1209/point. I reached out to Member Accounting when dues hit on December 16th of 2017 and no credit was applied. I was told, under no uncertain terms, that unless a member had paid those dues directly to Disney, the owner holding the deed at the time dues are assessed against an account would not see that credit.

She explained that if there had been an underestimation of taxes, they wouldn’t be able to come after me for the tax difference either.

Tracking shouldn’t be too hard, as every dues transaction on a resale contract is recorded with no history existing prior to transfer. It’s clear whether or not an owner actually paid dues on a contract. Conversely, the previous owners would no longer be in possession of the contract so they wouldn’t be paying the dues on the year the credit would normally be applied towards.

@zavandor, was the credit you received on a direct contract where you paid prorated dues directly to Disney? I don’t understand it to work this way on a resale contract.

Unless the policy has changed since then, this wasn’t the case when I bought a resale contract in the Fall of 2017. VGF was due a credit for tax overestimation of $0.1209/point. I reached out to Member Accounting when dues hit on December 16th of 2017 and no credit was applied. I was told, under no uncertain terms, that unless a member had paid those dues directly to Disney, the owner holding the deed at the time dues are assessed against an account would not see that credit.

She explained that if there had been an underestimation of taxes, they wouldn’t be able to come after me for the tax difference either.

Tracking shouldn’t be too hard, as every dues transaction on a resale contract is recorded with no history existing prior to transfer. It’s clear whether or not an owner actually paid dues on a contract. Conversely, the previous owners would no longer be in possession of the contract so they wouldn’t be paying the dues on the year the credit would normally be applied towards.

@zavandor, was the credit you received on a direct contract where you paid prorated dues directly to Disney? I don’t understand it to work this way on a resale contract.
The resale contract I bought was nearly fully loaded, so I reimboursednthe MF for thebcurrent year as part of my offer. So that's maybe why I received the small refund the following January?

Interesting. Not my understanding, so new info for me. Thanks for sharing.

I paid 2020 dues on my 3 HHI contracts (25, 50 and 50 pointers). We resold them this summer. One person bought 25 and 50 and another person bought other 50. The 50 and 25 had some 2020 points and they reimbursed us for those. It was only like 32 points. The other 50 did not reimburse us for the 2020 (can't recall how many it was on there) but they paid $5 more per point. Anyway, based on all above...we will not get the credit nor will new owners. We still own contracts in the membership we sold those HHI contracts from. But I gather the only way a credit for the HHI taxes would go to us is if we still owned those contracts. Correct?

Not a big deal, honestly. Is it like $15? Meh. I am more interested in our remaining 325 points and if we'll get any kind of credit for 2020 closures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter