2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

I officially broke the Princess news to my husband. Mind you I just said, "BFF wants me to run Princess with her next year" and he said, well, ok, I guess since work is going well for you it will be ok! LOL! Success! :cool1: He can't take it back now!:jumping1:

I know they said more information will be released on June 1st regarding the delay with next year's registration. But I have to admit that I keep checking the site every day or two just in case. :)

I'm planning on making the jump from 10K to 1/2 Marathon. I did the inaugural Dark Side 10K, and that was my first Disney race. I haven't done a Disney race since then. This would be my 2nd if all goes well with registration. So *fingers crossed*

My wife and I plan on running the 5K together and I'm planning on running the challenge! I did the DarkSide half as my very first half every and the bug has bitten me hard! Let's hope all goes well when we can register to make this happen!

I really really want to run the half marathon, but I might just end up doing the 10k. I can barely do a 5k right now (don't judge me, I haven't ran in YEARS).

Is 8-9 months enough time to train for a half from ...basically nothing? Ugh, will I actually stick with it?!

I really really want to run the half marathon, but I might just end up doing the 10k. I can barely do a 5k right now (don't judge me, I haven't ran in YEARS).

Is 8-9 months enough time to train for a half from ...basically nothing? Ugh, will I actually stick with it?!

I’m a non runner and training now to do them all. I think if we’re dedicated to training there’s no reason why we couldn’t.

Yes! Start building base mileage now & then go into a half plan. It's a long ways out commitment for sure.

I went from the 5K distance to my first half in 4 months. I modified Hal Higdon’s beginner plan to something I would stick with and I was flexible with that schedule. Someone told me that the best training plan is the one you will actually finish :love:

Hi! Training and planning for my first half! I am so pumped about the PHM 2019 - it's always been a bucket list item for me to complete a Disney half! a family member has a work conference at the yacht club that weekend as well, so getting a discounted room is the cherry on top for me!

I do have a question - I am really nervous and anxious about it selling out before I get to register - I know we don't have dates yet, but as long as I'm at my computer at the exact moment registration opens (for the general public - as i'm not using TA, i'm not AP or a return runner), will I definitely get a spot? I have read this race fills up faster than some others, so I would hate to do all this training (from being a non-runner), making plans around those dates for our vacation, etc if I don't get a spot!

YES! But you have to start now and stick with it. I just started 3 years ago so not an expert like some here but if you focus on building your strength and increasing your miles and time over the next 8 months you'll be fine. You do have to get under the 16 mm BUT you don't have to be a 10 mm runner your first half. I STILL do intervals and finished my first Disney half at 3:17. Be sure to listen to your body, work on cardio as well to build your endurance and run your own race and you'll be fine! A mile is a mile regardless of how fast you go :)

Hi! Training and planning for my first half! I am so pumped about the PHM 2019 - it's always been a bucket list item for me to complete a Disney half! a family member has a work conference at the yacht club that weekend as well, so getting a discounted room is the cherry on top for me!

I do have a question - I am really nervous and anxious about it selling out before I get to register - I know we don't have dates yet, but as long as I'm at my computer at the exact moment registration opens (for the general public - as i'm not using TA, i'm not AP or a return runner), will I definitely get a spot? I have read this race fills up faster than some others, so I would hate to do all this training (from being a non-runner), making plans around those dates for our vacation, etc if I don't get a spot!

You are right they do sell out but as long as you are there right as it opens and have time and patience you'll probably get in. Make sure you have good internet connection and I wouldn't recommend doing it from your phone. And create an active account prior to if you don't already have one (unless that's the part they are changing :) ) The process will wreck your nerves though so be prepared lol.

It’s plenty of time to train, but it’s big commitment. You really need to stick to the training plan to have an enjoyable race AND feel good in the days following the race.

There are so many plans out there so take a look at a few and see what you think you can stick to. I used Jeff Galloway for my first half marathon, but looking back I wish I had used something else.

It's definitely enough time to train. Just pick a training plan and stick to it. I'd start now and build a 3-5 mile base. I was the girl who couldn't really run a mile in high school and many years and a few babies later, decided to do the 5K and 10K Princess weekend in 2015. Then I trained for the W&D half that year. (Which disappointingly was a half a half.) And then I ran the Glass Slipper Challenge in February 2016. I feel like I adequately worked up to the distances and back to back runs. And the key to my success was sticking to a training plan!

To all the runners looking for training encouragement, I would also recommend finding a local run group. Many run stores have free or cheap running groups that meet on a weekly schedule, with various training plans already figured out and added to their runs. It's a great way to get support, learn about technique and nutrition, be reliable to others, make friends, and push your limits even more than you would on your own. I prefer the run group I have to pay for, for the higher calibre programming and speedy run friends, but also the financial motivation to keep going - because $100 is expensive for a few seasons, but over 16 weeks/32 sessions it's worth it. We have many new runners in my run group each session, and in each one I see these people go from struggling the first few weeks to crushing their race goals. And, despite whatever the voice in your head may be telling you, good run groups have a no drop policy, where all abilities are welcome and nobody gets left behind.

Our run group generally sees 5K runners do a 10K in three or four months; and 10K runners do a half marathon in four months. (And then seasoned half marathoners do a full marathon in four more months.) If you can run a 5K now, six to nine months to get to a half marathon is realistic.

I, too, am super anxious about registering for the 5K run - it's the run my husband really wants to do, but he'll only do it if I run with him - so we both need to get in for it to work. *sigh* We have active.com accounts set up and plan to be on two computers simultaneously when the registration opens. I hope we don't have to wake up at 3 AM Pacific time to do so... (fingers crossed for a midnight EST registration opening.)

To anyone who truly wants to do this... It is a fun, once in a lifetime experience (if you're a one and done person, unlike me). You get to pick out an outfit, and run through the castle. You get pretty medals. It's fantastic...but it is no joke. Please start training as soon as possible (if you're new to running), and stick with it to the end. You will really regret it if you don't. No matter how great it may seem, it's a big commitment and a lot of hard work. You can do it. Anyone can do it, if they put in the work, but you have to take the miles seriously.

So I've never really needed to get a POT for these races since the 2:45-3:00 range suits me pretty well. After this new change in corrals, however, I really want to get out of the huge corral and move up one. Any ideas on what would be a good finishing time for a 10K? I'll be running the Challenge so I know that I'll have to add in a few minutes to my time for fatigue.

Thanks!

So I've never really needed to get a POT for these races since the 2:45-3:00 range suits me pretty well. After this new change in corrals, however, I really want to get out of the huge corral and move up one. Any ideas on what would be a good finishing time for a 10K? I'll be running the Challenge so I know that I'll have to add in a few minutes to my time for fatigue.

Thanks!

If I remember right your 10K time needs to be less than 1:13.

I know they said more information will be released on June 1st regarding the delay with next year's registration. But I have to admit that I keep checking the site every day or two just in case. :)

I'm planning on making the jump from 10K to 1/2 Marathon. I did the inaugural Dark Side 10K, and that was my first Disney race. I haven't done a Disney race since then. This would be my 2nd if all goes well with registration. So *fingers crossed*

You and me BOTH! And now that today is JUNE 1ST... I'm actively refreshing the Registration Page every 30 mins! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter