2019 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: August 29-November 23, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of sad how fast the seminars have declined. Attendance dropped significantly and as a result they lessened the number of offerings. I wonder if that's why they no longer offer the special dinners at the various restaurants

It's kind of sad how fast the seminars have declined. Attendance dropped significantly and as a result they lessened the number of offerings. I wonder if that's why they no longer offer the special dinners at the various restaurants
All the special dinners at the restaurants I went to were always sold out. I think it was not cost effective for them as it killed profits for tables that could be turned over rather than dedicated to the event.

Booked for the Parisian Breakfast on Nov 2! That's by far my favorite event. I'm considering the Tequila lunch but I do NOT eat octopus. Was that still on the menu last year? If so I'll skip it.

Booked for the Parisian Breakfast on Nov 2! That's by far my favorite event. I'm considering the Tequila lunch but I do NOT eat octopus. Was that still on the menu last year? If so I'll skip it.

No octopus last year. Here’s a (bad) photo of the menu - unlike some other events, the menu was consistent throughout the festival. The picture cuts off dessert, which was a Mexican chocolate lava cake. The food was SO good.

1848303F-7B0E-430F-96BB-8DB32DFA1908.jpeg

This will be our 4th F&W in a row, with beverage seminars every year, including two in 2016 that were great. But not this year. Disney seems to not want us to go to any based on their cuts so we'll save that money and stick with the marketplaces. The other events don't really interest us.

A few years back I stumbled on the list of requirements for the participating presenters & was astounded at the thousands of dollars Disney was requiring them to pay in addition to what they needed to supply to be allowed to present for a couple of days at the festival.

That explains why there are few chefs outside of Disney restaurants. Too bad - I was hoping to see some top chefs, not that disney’s aren’t but not interested in their chefs or tv chefs. I assume the cost is to keep a handle on demand. If it is free everyone shows up, if they have to pay that changes the chaos.

I have nothing to compare this one to since it will be our first time. I booked a few things, one of which was the Sunday brunch with the chef and told my dh who thought it sounded interesting and he likes Andrew Zimmern. Then he saw the cc charge and he asked if I'd lost my ever-loving mind!!! I suppose $300 is a bit much for brunch. I mean how much bacon can a person eat, lol. :rotfl2:

Has anyone went to the Cheese Festival? Seemed different & interesting, but was wondering is it really worth it to pay $200+ for a couple? Any comments from anyone that may have attended in the past or thinking of it this year please let me know. I mean it sounds like fun, but for $200 we could get a really nice Dinner somewhere else. Thanks!

Has anyone went to the Cheese Festival? Seemed different & interesting, but was wondering is it really worth it to pay $200+ for a couple? Any comments from anyone that may have attended in the past or thinking of it this year please let me know. I mean it sounds like fun, but for $200 we could get a really nice Dinner somewhere else. Thanks!

My DH said the same thing. “$200 for cheese!!!” Guess we’ll pass on that.

Also interested in any reviews. I feel like I’ve heard great things about them - particularly when Max McCalman is the presenter - but can’t find recent reviews.

That explains why there are few chefs outside of Disney restaurants. Too bad - I was hoping to see some top chefs, not that disney’s aren’t but not interested in their chefs or tv chefs. I assume the cost is to keep a handle on demand. If it is free everyone shows up, if they have to pay that changes the chaos.

This came up with one wine demo. The staff started throwing away the wine that they had poured into glasses at empty seats and the company rep got up and started giving the wine to guests. I thought the woman who runs the demos was going to have a nervous breakdown (This was much more fun that the pathetic guy this company had talking about their wine). The Disney woman is hissing "YOU CAN'T GIVE THEM MORE WINE" and the rep hissing "IT'S OUR WINE AND FOR WHAT WE PAID TO PRESENT TO THIS CROWD I CAN DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT". Disney girl runs off saying something about management. That was the end of the drama, but we all got extra wine. I could tell the rep was very upset that her company had paid a lot of money for a half full crowd. She indicated as much in the discussion with the Disney staff.

This came up with one wine demo. The staff started throwing away the wine that they had poured into glasses at empty seats and the company rep got up and started giving the wine to guests. I thought the woman who runs the demos was going to have a nervous breakdown (This was much more fun that the pathetic guy this company had talking about their wine). The Disney woman is hissing "YOU CAN'T GIVE THEM MORE WINE" and the rep hissing "IT'S OUR WINE AND FOR WHAT WE PAID TO PRESENT TO THIS CROWD I CAN DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT". Disney girl runs off saying something about management. That was the end of the drama, but we all got extra wine. I could tell the rep was very upset that her company had paid a lot of money for a half full crowd. She indicated as much in the discussion with the Disney staff.

Not sure if it is the same person. But a few years ago there used to be what we called the Food & Wine Nazi. She ruled all the demos and duos she hosted with an iron fist. Can’t remember her name for the life of me. She was always drinking lots of wine, talking really loud, and trying to control all the events she hosted. The presenters had a hard time getting a word in sometimes. Maybe that was her and she wanted the wine for herself.

Not sure if it is the same person. But a few years ago there used to be what we called the Food & Wine Nazi. She ruled all the demos and duos she hosted with an iron fist. Can’t remember her name for the life of me. She was always drinking lots of wine, talking really loud, and trying to control all the events she hosted. The presenters had a hard time getting a word in sometimes. Maybe that was her and she wanted the wine for herself.
I think she tested all the wine before the demonstration. Wasn't that Pam Brandon? Not Pam Brandon, it was Pam Smith. Thanks, 2xcited2sleep

Last edited:
I think she tested all the wine before the demonstration. Wasn't that Pam Brandon?

It was! We had her in a duo once and the chef only said about 10 sentences. She was gabbing and drinking the entire time. She really thought she was very funny.

I think she tested all the wine before the demonstration. Wasn't that Pam Brandon?

It was! We had her in a duo once and the chef only said about 10 sentences. She was gabbing and drinking the entire time. She really thought she was very funny.

I think Pam Smith may be who you’re thinking of. Pam Brandon authors many of the Disney cookbooks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!