2018 Princess Half Marathon

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by tellemarie, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Amunet

Amunet DIS Veteran

I've never done a runDisney event. I'm signed up for the 10k (never done one).

Would it be better to do the parks before or after the 10k? Why?

I'd truly appreciate any advice :)

And ...
    Historically, when have the themes been announced?

mrsg00fy likes this.
  2. courtneybeth

courtneybeth Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme...

I would do the parks after the race. Save your legs for race morning and do the parks as a victory lap! :)

Your guess is as good as ours as to when theme is released. Nothing official until we see medals. ;)

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

In general, I always say parks after racing. Once done racing, there's no pressure to eat the right things at the right times, to limit time on your feet, to get to bed early, etc. I just think you can be more relaxed once the race/s is/are done.

5. pluto377

pluto377 Mouseketeer

I agree, if you can save park days for after the race. You don't want your legs to be too tired!

Has everyone started training yet? I'm training for a 10K in September that I'm hoping to use as PoT. So my longest run has only been 3 miles so far. I have 3.5 planned for this weekend. It's getting hot in my area and I'm so miserable training in the heat :-(

MommaoffherRocker and mrsg00fy like this.
  6. MommaoffherRocker

MommaoffherRocker Proud to be Dopey

I'm training for a 10 miler in September for my Dopey POT right now so my long run on Sunday was 6 miles. I'm hoping to use the Wine and Dine 10k as my POT for Princess.

I hear you, I live in FL and it is pretty miserable out :( BUT I just keep telling myself in the fall I am going to be so much faster because of it :D

PrincessV likes this.
  7. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

Nope: I'min summer mode until next month, when Dopey training will officially start. And Dopey training is my PHM training, lol!

:thumbsup2 Fellow Floridian here and for sure - if we survive, we'll be in top form, lol! ;)

MommaoffherRocker likes this.
  8. Amunet

Amunet DIS Veteran

I have not yet. I'm hoping to get running shoes for my birthday next month :)

9. BriarRose59

BriarRose59 WDW Once Upon a Dream

I ran the DS Half in April. I have continued running 3 miles 3 times per week since that race, doing some local 5K's if they start by 7:30. It's too hot here in Texas to run later than that. My weekly runs start between 6:00 and 6:30 a.m. I'm running the Super Heroes Half in November so I'll have to start longer distances soon.:sunny:

10. singastory

singastory There's a great big beautiful tomorrow

I'm training for the NYC marathon in November so that will be my PHM training. Hopefully I won't be too much of a wreck afterwards. My wedding and honeymoon are in January so probably no training then :P

11. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Nope. And admitting it is part of the problem. ;)

I've got to get to a podiatrist because I think I have something like ganglion cysts in my ankles. ITs a weird place for them but it makes so much sense. And if I do, then it's possible it's stretching a tendon which is causing pain and instability. I've got it all diagnosed lol. Just gotta find someone to see.

And these last nearly 8 days I've been dealing with some crazy cellulitis in my face (how does THAT happen???) where even my yoga, ballet, and Pilates classes have been too much for me. I'm losing my mind from the inactivity... and 6 days into the second of two antibiotics (at the same time no less) I'm worried that I'm developing a problem with it. Getting itchy about an hour after I take it. Might have to go see someone tomorrow about it.

So anyway, my cousin is doing the challenge for the first time (first half) and is training and doing amazing, and I'm a slug. :) Must fix all problems and get back into it. Don't want to be embarrassed like I was this (very injured) year.

absolutmey likes this.
  12. Dis_Yoda

Dis_Yoda DIS Veteran

I start physical therapy for my ankle today so I'll know when I can start training hopefully in the next month or so!

TeeterTots, Gemini1131 and Ariel484 like this.
  13. Luv2Run

Luv2Run DIS Veteran

I'm doing the W&D Two Course Challenge in November, so I'll start training for that in August, then roll my W&D training right on into training for PHM18.

apdebord likes this.
  14. apdebord

apdebord Earning My Ears

Same here! Just running for fun until training for W&D 2 Course starts.

15. beck00

beck00 DIS Veteran

Not training yet, but keeping up with my runs. It is brutal here in South Louisiana! If it's not storming with lightning and thunder, it's 93 degrees!

16. TeeterTots

TeeterTots DIS Veteran

I'm currently training for a half in sept, then W&D 10K....need to get my PHM plans worked out! #WDWorldsBiggestProcrastinator lol

17. runalarm

runalarm Earning My Ears

I just ran a marathon over the weekend so my plan is to do some easy running and more cross training over the summer and pick the running back up in the fall. I need to find a fall race to keep me motivated. February seems so far away!

18. donaldandpirates

donaldandpirates Mouseketeer

Started officially training today! Being a bigger princess, I need all the training time I can get. :) I'm loosely following Jeff Galloway's plan on the runDisney site; so from now until Oct. 24, I'm training to get very comfortable with a 10K.

pld5 likes this.
  19. beck00

beck00 DIS Veteran

Got my GymBoss in the mail today! Can't wait to try it out. My Garmin Forerunner 10 is great for keeping pace, but has some limitations.

20. Where'sPiglet?

Where'sPiglet? DIS Veteran

I said the same thing a few weeks ago, so I registered for the Disneyland Half. Then I said to self, "Self, you need that Coast to Coast 10th Anniversary medal to go with your spring Princess 10th Anniversary medal." So then I registered for Wine & Dine Half.

Next weekend I have 8 miles on the training plan for the Disneyland Half.

21. absolutmey

absolutmey back for the 2018 PHM!

I just got my GymBoss too!