2016 - Jennifer's January Jaunt! Dining Review - updated 7/29

Everything Pop - 1/24/16 Dinner

After a long travel and Universal Studios day, I finally sat down to dinner at Pop at about 10 p.m.. I chose pepperoni pizza, a side caesar salad, and a piece of pineapple upside down cake.

IMG_3066_zpssvobv5at.jpg

The pizza was actually pretty good! Nothing super fancy, but the crust had flavor and wasn't too dense, the sauce had just the right amount of spice and good Italian flavor, and it wasn't too greasy. The salad was dressed well and was crisp and cool. The cake had a great flavor but was super sweet. I couldn't eat that much sweet stuff that late at night so I ate about half and was done.

Wow, great photo. Seems like we could all just dig in, the pic is so crisp and colorful! The pizza looks yummy. Pineapple upside down cake, how very retro. :)

Universal Studios - Hogsmeade and Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Hogs Head - 1/25/16 Snack
Three Broomsticks - Lunch
Leaky Cauldron - Light Dinner

Okay, guys! I am back, months and months later, but want to finish this review. I had a lot of great food and while it was honestly too much for just one person, I did enjoy almost everything.

When I left you last, I had eaten a piece of pizza and salad and pineapple upside down cake at Everything Pop after my first day, which I had spent at Universal Studios.

The next day I also spent at Universal Studios, exploring both of the Harry Potter worlds. These two areas of the US parks really put the rest of the park to shame, to be honest. They were amazing and I'm so glad I got to see them.

First thing on my radar was a hot butterbeer from the Hogs Head.

IMG_3076_zpszy9osgc7.jpg

Cost: $5.85 for a 12 ounce drink. This was delicious - very sweet and rich. It tasted like melted butterscotch pudding. I really enjoyed it after finding a quiet, out of the way place to sit to drink it. The Harry Potter worlds were swarming with people the whole day.

I had an early lunch (I'd skipped breakfast) at The Three Broomsticks. I picked the beef and lamb stew platter, which came with a side salad. I also had a cup of pumpkin juice which was very good but again - super sweet.
IMG_3079_zpsupkfqts3.jpg

Total cost: $19.15 including the entree and 20 ounce pumpkin juice. This dish was very good! The bread bowl was very soft, like a dinner roll instead of being more chewy like sourdough. There was a predominant flavor, which I believe was thyme or maybe bay leaves? And while that particular herb was strong it wasn't overpowering. The salad was fresh and cool - I chose bleu cheese dressing and it was great. The pumpkin juice reminded me of mulled apple cider with a bit of orange juice and brown sugar added. I believe it would also make a delicious hot drink.

After wandering around for awhile, I bought an assortment of hard candy from the candy shop and also eventually bought a wand, but I was too shy to use it all by myself. I think it would have been fun to have a friend there to laugh with when making the magic happen.

IMG_3082_zpst0c9ygzi.jpg

I had an ADR at Ohana this night at 9:45 p.m. (pretty late to be eating but you take what you can get!) I knew it would be a lot of food so I didn't want to really eat a lot more today. But I also really wanted to try the other restaurant! It was quite a dilemma. Again - if I was traveling with someone it would have been easier since we could order one thing and then just share it. That way we'd still get a taste but wouldn't have the guilt of wasting food.

Anyway, I did stop at the Leaky Cauldron and got a light meal at about 4 o'clock. I chose the Cornish Pasti which also came with a side salad. I had French dressing with the salad, and a cup of water to drink.

IMG_3085_zpsbh1qtobs.jpg

Total cost: $10.64 for the entree and free water. I thought the salad was good and fresh, but nothing really to write home about. The little meat pies were tasty, with a soft breading, but not very hot, and if I hadn't been specifically looking for a light meal, I think I would have been frustrated by the tiny portion. But it was perfect for what I needed at that point.

I was getting really tired of the crowd and my notes say I was back at Pop by 6 p.m. for a little downtime before Ohana.

Next up - Ohana!

Polynesian Resort
'Ohana- 1/25/16 Dinner

After a rest at Pop Century, I got ready for 'Ohana. My ADR was for 9:45 p.m. but I checked in a little early and was seated by about 9:20. I had been looking forward to this meal forever! I did feel a little self conscious sitting at a table by myself - it was 3-top table against the window and the view was lovely. The service felt a little rushed but my server was warm and friendly if not a little overworked.

We started with bread, of course! I paced myself very well if I do say so myself, and only had a slice about an inch thick. I wished I had brought something to put the rest in but it was so late at night and I was just beyond caring by then.
IMG_3094_zpspicc6go1.jpg

So delicious.

After the bread comes the salad which I thought was amazing. I could have stopped right then and there and eaten the whole thing!
IMG_3095_zps3nlvwq2k.jpg

After the salad came the pot stickers and chicken wings as well as the noodles and vegetables. My table was full of food and there was SO MUCH of it - they don't seem to bring any less food for one person than they would for 4.
IMG_3096_zpstjbx5sgd.jpg

Seriously - I know people have had complaints about 'Ohana lately but I found everything to be delicious. It was all hot, well seasoned, and maybe I'm just an uncultured swine who thinks this is good food but who really has no idea what truly good food is, but I thought it was good food!!

IMG_3097_zpskn1jhnpg.jpg

Ok I found the noodles to be a little bland, but the vegetables were really good and I ate all of them. I remember feeling very full by now and the meat hadn't even come yet! Ugh...

In due time ...
IMG_3098_zpsv0oklago.jpg

Chicken - this was excellent. Very moist and easy to eat.

IMG_3099_zpsx3korkrf.jpg

Steak - my favorite meat by far and I was glad she gave me four pieces instead of two even though I was seriously STUFFED by now.

She brought out shrimp and this was my first experience with peel-and-eat shrimp. It wasn't my favorite. I felt very awkward already sitting there with so much food all for myself and then trying to peel shrimp - it just wasn't happening. I didn't even take a picture of it!

IMG_3100_zpsbcmsa7p6.jpg

I felt like I was going to literally burst. It was crazy how full I was - I really thought I was doing a good job of pacing myself but the food was SO good and I think I just kept nibbling here and there as I watched the show they put on with the kids and giving out lei's and everything. So by the time this came out I was done.

But I ate it anyway. Almost all of it. And when I left almost 90 minutes after I first sat down, I had never been so full in my entire life.

I would go to 'Ohana again in a heartbeat but maybe only if I had a friend to sit with. I'm not normally a self-conscious single diner at all. I eat by myself all the time! But this restaurant, with everything served family style and SO MUCH food, made me really wish someone was with me!

I didn't take a picture of my receipt so I don't have the total cost. But I didn't order anything extra except a Diet Coke. Gotta save calories somewhere, right?!

Glad you came back to continue this, I was reading when you first started, although I don't think I commented

Nice couple of updates, I haven't been to universal in years but I really want o go sometime to see all the Harry Potter stuff. I am not a Harry Potter fan (I don't hate it or anything, just never read the books or got into the movies) but I think this area is so cool looking, I would like to see it. I really want to try Butterbeer too.

Love Ohana, we finally got there on our last trip (in 2014 :sad: have to get back soon!) and we really enjoyed it. I love shrimp and ate quite a bit of it but not a fan of peel and eat, especially when it has sauce/seasoning on it, so messy but so yummy too.

Looking forward to more!

Glad you're back!

I had an early lunch (I'd skipped breakfast) at The Three Broomsticks. I picked the beef and lamb stew platter, which came with a side salad. I also had a cup of pumpkin juice which was very good but again - super sweet.
IMG_3079_zpsupkfqts3.jpg

This looks sooo much yummier than the shepard's pie I ordered there, which don't get me wrong I enjoyed, but this looks much more scrumptious

My table was full of food and there was SO MUCH of it - they don't seem to bring any less food for one person than they would for 4.

Never been to Ohana, but this was my same experience at Hoop Dee Doo. And I did a horrible job of pacing myself. I couldn't even take more than a few bites of dessert, but for that I blame the heavenly corn bread which I ate almost all of.

Maybe I'm just an uncultured swine who thinks this is good food but who really has no idea what truly good food is, but I thought it was good food!!

3 members I follow here and who very much enjoy good food have raved over Ohana's so you're in good company. I actually decided I need to try this my next trip because of them

The service felt a little rushed but my server was warm and friendly if not a little overworked.

I think that sums up the service at 'Ohana perfectly! We've had dinner there three times and have never found it anything but delicious. Going back next trip!!

Yay! You're back!
I LOVED 'Ohana when we were there (in January too!) and I'm going back there on my upcoming solo trip in October! I'm sure I'll feel awkward dining alone, but 'Ohana is so good- it'll be worth it!!! :D

I will be doing Ohana with my kiddo but he may eat the bread but won't touch the salad, potstickers, or veggies. he might have some noodles or wings. that is how much food they are going to bring us? I want to roll out of there already!

Welcome back!

In November, we're doing Universal Resort the first three nights and then moving to Disney for our final nine nights....so I'm really happy to see you reviewed Hog's Head, Three Broomsticks, and The Leaky Cauldron. I'm so looking forward to a cold butterbeer when I'm there! And I know it's not food, but the wand looks beautiful! Will definitely be getting one of those :goodvibes.

We also have a dinner reservation at 'Ohana and all the food looks AMAZING. Especially that bread pudding....YUM! I can't believe the sheer amount of food that was brought to your table :eek:

we loved O'hana
seriously hoping to get in again on our trip!
great pics and reviews

waiting for more...i luv time by myself..dont b worried bout it..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter