2016 Free Dining Watch

When are you trying to travel?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awhile back someone posted a list of various phone numbers to try (hopefully if and when FD is released!!) when calling to book. I've scrolled back multiple times and cannot find it!! Did anyone happen to save it or have those numbers?!!

No problem. That's one of the reasons I became a TA, there are only so many times I can price and book my own vacation...

Anyways, here are the numbers. I ran your dates for a Garden Room at the CR. I wasn't sure how many park days or if you would originally have park hopper but since free dining will probably require park hopper I added it. The following numbers include your dates, 6 day ticket + park hopper and the regular dining plan. Here are some numbers.

Free Dining = $6,345.60 + dining plan tax $140 (estimate) = $6,485.60
30% room discount = $6,259.46
30% room discount without park hoppers = $5,965.54
25% room discount = $6,486.14
25% room discount without park hoppers = $6,192.22

So assuming a 30% discount is offered for Garden View rooms your savings over free dining would be $226.14. Without park hopper the savings would be $520.06. If only a 25% discount is offered and you want park hopper then its basically even, whether you take free dining or room discount. If you don't want park hoppers then the 25% would still save you $293.38.

Generally a 30% discount is offered at Deluxes. But I just threw 25% out there in case they include any surprises.
Also, if you want the deluxe dining your savings would change, the prices above will just go up.

This is my first time going for free dining, I didn't realize that you had to pay tax on the free dining?

Awhile back someone posted a list of various phone numbers to try (hopefully if and when FD is released!!) when calling to book. I've scrolled back multiple times and cannot find it!! Did anyone happen to save it or have those numbers?!!
I don't have who originally wrote it but one of the posts said this:
"So although I've gone through this FD process for the past four years, I still need a refresher on what to do the morning of the release! Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, or if you have a better way to do it. Scenario #1- Modifying or changing an existing reservation: Sign into MDE (I believe on a desktop, laptop, or tablet- how about on a cell phone? I'm not sure...) > My Reservations and Tickets > Change Reservations > Vacation Offer > Change > Choose Free Dining offer. Scenario #2- Creating a new reservation: go to disneyworld.disney.go.com > scroll to bottom of the page under header "Places to Stay" > Special Offers > Free Dining offer (I forget the exact verbiage, does anyone remember?) > Check Availability > Enter your preferred dates and either search All Resort Hotels or your chosen resort. Scenario #3- FD is released to Disney Visa card holders first: I believe you cannot modify, change, or make a new reservation for FD offer online, you must call Disney at 407-934-7639, or407-939-7639, or 407-939-7709, or 407-939-7675, or 407-939-4357 (phone numbers courtesy of prior poster- sorry I can't remember your name! As suggested by pp, just keep saying over and over "New Reservation" (even if it isn't) or "Agent" to skip all the prompts to get you to a live person. My best advice is to have alternative resorts (2nd choice, 3rd choice, etc.), room types (expect that standard rooms may be hard to come by at the MODs or Deluxes), and dates (+/- a day, different week, etc.) ready to refer to while online or on the phone with CM. I've gotten FD every year. I may not have gotten exactly what I originally planned for, but it always works out!"

Thank you for doing this...gives me something to think about. I was so obsessed with free dining that, until I started reading here a bit, RO didn't really occur to me as something to even consider. I guess I'll still be waiting though...to see what actually drops. Ugh!

Based on history and from what Black said earlier (I believe) RO and Free Dining may come available the same day, especially for the early fall months. But if free dining is dropped first, if I were you I would try to snag that. Then if RO is dropped look into switching and drop free dining.

Also, as a previous poster mentioned you may save more with a RO discount is your family eats less than what the dining plan costs. If you know your restaurants now, try putting them into disney dining calculator and see what that tells you. The dining plan may not be right for you.

I took a picture of it on my phone; quoting:

407-934-7639 // 407-939-7639// 407-939-7709 // 407-939-7675 // 407-939-4357
"Say 'New Reservation' 'Agent' to get through quicker on the phone"

This is my first time going for free dining, I didn't realize that you had to pay tax on the free dining?

It's my first time with free dining too and just learned this myself. But I read this a few days ago here on this thread. I was a little bummer because it cuts into our savings but still worth it.

Someone feel free to correct me if I read incorrectly.

Based on history and from what Black said earlier (I believe) RO and Free Dining may come available the same day, especially for the early fall months. But if free dining is dropped first, if I were you I would try to snag that. Then if RO is dropped look into switching and drop free dining.

Also, as a previous poster mentioned you may save more with a RO discount is your family eats less than what the dining plan costs. If you know your restaurants now, try putting them into disney dining calculator and see what that tells you. The dining plan may not be right for you.
Disney dining calculators exist?! Link?

It's my first time with free dining too and just learned this myself. But I read this a few days ago here on this thread. I was a little bummer because it cuts into our savings but still worth it.

How much tax per adult & child? This in news to me...

I thought the previous posts were talking about tax for upgrading a free dining plan to a higher level, but I could be wrong. Hopefully a vet will answer this.

I am pretty sure the DDP already has tax included in the price? When I booked my BB, I only had QS at first but then did the math and decided to upgrade my plan. I only added the exact amount of the difference between the plans and it came out exactly what I was expecting..no added tax or anything like that.

I was getting ready to look into this when my boss gave me a project. (She doesn't understand that I need to focus on this thread...). But I will take a look at it this evening and let you know what I find out.

Haha. Bosses never understand. Thanks so much!

How much tax per adult & child? This in news to me...

For us our tax aka gratuity is automatically added due to us being a party of 6. It is 18%. Let's say for example our dinner at CRT was 250.00 (close to accurate), our tip would be 45.00. It adds up! Still a tremendous value for us (the free dining)

:rotfl2: Nope, what happens when you get cutoff??!!?? I'm planning on the Sangria and my DH the beer, so it would be good to know :rotfl:

When it happens, they will put a napkin "bandana" over your mouth so that you look like a bank robber.

Sangria there is my downfall.

I may or may not know this from personal experience.

Last edited:
For us our tax aka gratuity is automatically added due to us being a party of 6. It is 18%. Let's say for example our dinner at CRT was 250.00 (close to accurate), our tip would be 45.00. It adds up! Still a tremendous value for us (the free dining)
Yeah but tax and gratuity are two different things. I knew about the gratuity not being included.

If we are talking about tax on the bill while using the DDP, it is already included. All you pay at the end are tips (except for places that already include tip like CRT and others).

Yeah but tax and gratuity are two different things. I knew about the gratuity not being included.
I would appreciate it if smebody would message me te name of their wonderful, magical agent. I have used one before but would like somebody who will search several hotels ad tell me te best deal and not just give me a price for a hotel I ask about. I am flexible. Kwim?

Status
Not open for further replies.