2016 Destash - The more things you own, the more they own you

Decluttering one of the kids rooms today. I may have turned a corner with my oldest DD11. She has a dufflebag of Minecraft "toys", which are cardboard blocks. She paid $15 of her money for the set 2 years ago. I suggest she get rid of them. She was shocked, so I said to her - Do you love those? Do they make you happy? I only ever see them sit in this duffle bag (that you can't use for other things). And she stopped, and said - Yeah, I could totally get rid of those. Yay!! And then for DD4, I realized I have boxes upon boxes of clothes size 6x and up. But she will be going to private school with a uniform (the older ones did public school for the first 2 years). I don't need to keep all those clothes for her. So, I will go through them and sort out a good amount to keep over various seasons, but I literally have 3 storage totes, 3 large boxes, and 2 laundry baskets of clothes for one little girl for size 6x-8. Even if I keep 10 pair of pants, 10 shorts, 10 long sleeve shirts, 10 short sleeve shirts, a few dresses and jammies in each size, I'll be fine. It really is about changing your mindset.

I told the kids I would rather be spending the time with them making brownies than cleaning up AGAIN. We talked about getting rid of a bunch of books, too, and hitting the library more often. I am excited that they may be getting on board with this idea, too!

Purchased 4 bins at Ikea today for the school (Christmas auction). Filled 2 of them and took them immediately to school.
Of course when I put them in the PTO storage closet someone else had put random crap in there too, ERGH!! So now I get to
clean out a closet that's not even in my house!

I need to purge something today though, I've been slacking.

I lurked all last year, and managed to get 80% of my living space done. But a lot of that went to the unfinished basement that was already a wreck. So this year my goal is to have it empty and organized and to get some carpet down by spring so the kids can use it as a giant playroom. This week I managed to get 4 big trash bags, a rubbermaid tote, a baby gate, and a stroller out to Goodwill. As well as 6 bags of trash and all my shredding. While I feel very accomplished sadly that's only about 1/3 of what I need to do. But every little bit helps, I'm just hoping I can stay motivated this year.

Went through the 6x clothes. I'm keeping 2 storage bins, but have emptied the third storage bin and 2 other boxes. I have a mountain of clothes to drop off! Tomorrow, I'll finish the 7/8 clothes, and then can move onto the stuff the big girls have outgrown but I have nowhere to put!

Took another box of work journals to the post office today, and I finished putting the rest of the Christmas decorations away. I was going to take a box to the thrift store, but I decided to have the kids go through their stuffed animals first. They can do that on Monday when they don't have school.

We have finally started putting the Christmas decorations away. I am trying to organize them better. I have filled up a shopping bag of things for a spring yard sale. Also, I have pulled out a bunch of sentimental Christmas things from my Grandma's house and my childhood that I don't actually display, but want to keep to pack up separately and put in the attic so they don't take up space with our decorations we use and store in the basement.

DH commented that we really need to clean off a shelving unit in the basement that is mostly filled with his stuff - so that is promising.

Pulled out the ironing board and iron yesterday. I have a basket of clothes I haven't worn in two years because they needed to be ironed. I started ironing 6 items per day (they were all laundered and tucked into a closet). As I ironed them, I selected those for donation which is all but one shirt. I work 3 blocks from the Goodwill store and will donate all the clean, ironed items weekly on my way to work, lunch hour or way home depending on my work hours. For tax purposes, I snap a photograph of the items to be donated, list them on lined paper and pick up a receipt.

As a tax person, I know that documenting non-cash donations can really give you a great deduction on schedule A if you document.

One year (previous marriage) I was able to deduct $1400 of Goodwill donations.
There are many websites available to value your clothing donations. All items must be of Good to Excellent quality to be deductible.

Love this thread and I'm in! After a major purge a few years ago, its bad again so I'm determined to get it under control!

I've done those deductions too in the past, and found it much easier and rewarding to donate than garage sale or ebay. When mentioning to friends, many say its a 'red flag' and even if I keep good records of all items (I do) that its not a good idea. Or at least not a good idea for it to total over $750. Anyone know if there's an official cutoff or what's recommended?

It took all day but I managed to sort through 7 years of baby/kid clothes and accessories. All of the baby baby stuff is going to a friend. Everything she didn't want is going to Goodwill. All I have left are the things my second kid will grow into. Didn't help my basement but it was still worthwhile.

I kind of took the weekend off. DH went to a car show on Saturday and I went downstairs in our hobby room and packed up my first generation Cricut and set up my new Cricut Air, linked all my cartridges and my new IPad I got on sale on Friday night at Best Buy. Old Cricut boxed up for yard sale. Four day weekend this coming week. Next Saturday and on, I will go through summer clothes again for the consignment store appointments I have in February. Someone at church wants to look at all my DS's last summer clothes. So more proffit for me. I hope to get rid of the printer in our computer armoire that does not work and look at moving our other printer into a small walk-in closet we have in the living room. I want to get rid of the armoire and get another chair for the living room. I might not get it all done but I have a plan at least.

Worked on my side of the master closet and the laundry room today. 5 bags of clothes and hangers for Purple Heart and a couple of bags of trash ready to go! At some point I should probably go through my office work clothes and see what still fits and what should be donated. I've spent the last 3 years working from home but sadly come April I am going to have to start going back into the office. Oh, and I reorganized DS's shorts and pants. Since it definitely feels like winter now, I had to move his pants to the dresser and his shorts to the armoire. I wish I could get him to wear something other than sweatpants to school but he is refusing to wear jeans so I left them in the armoire. And I wish I could purge some toys since they are taking over my family room and I only have one child!

I got almost all of the Christmas decorations down and put away. I've got just a few items left which I will get to this week. I'm hoping to get into the storage locker and maybe purge some items in there before putting the holiday stuff back. I acquired a few more items this year but they are all smal and still fit into the one tote I have.

I think my next goal should be my closet or my shoes but I have such a hard time parting with anything I love. I did purge two bags a few months back but they are still in the house, I really need to get rid of them!

I tried to purge some of DS's closet yesterday but got rid of very few items. Why are clothes such a big deal to me? Again I had purged during his last major growth spurt and still have one bag of items in the house. I need to donate or find a home. My normal takers are dealing with an illness.

I did clean up quite a bit tho so my apartment is getting back into order after the holiday craziness.

I'm also going to need a kitchen purge this year. Not a pretty sight currently.

Jumping in to 1) say THANK YOU for kicking me in the rear... and 2) to say that I took a rather sizeable trip to Goodwill yesterday and got rid of some things that I have literally moved twice (as in, moving from house to house) without ever taking out of their boxes. I am the worst packrat!

AND, unbeknownst to me, my fiance organized the pantry, which was funny because I have been reading the pantry purge thread too and was just thinking I needed to do that, and he just happened to organize it for me a couple days ago! Perfect!

I'm in!

I did get the big container of Christmas stuff stored away last week, along with filling up a bucket of extra kitchen stuff (glasses, etc.) to give to some extended family members who had a house fire a few weeks ago (why not pass it along if it was just going to Goodwill?).

Once we get things more downsized & organized, the plan is for some new, more grown up furniture this year. I'm SO excited! Just waiting til March for the Ikea adventure (90 minutes away!) for our new, slicker looking bookshelf/tv stand.

I'm jumping in on this! On January 1st I tried to go into the one draw in the kitchen with utensils and it was overflowing and I couldn't find anything. I have so many doubles of things that I can't find anything I need. So that moment I took everything out and tried to decide what I needed and what I didn't. Since then I've started going into any area I can and get rid of things I don't use or need. So far I have 2 boxes of random dishes and glasses, cooking utensils, and nick nacks, a waffle maker (we have two...who needs two?!?) and a full bag of clothes to drop off at the thrift store. I want to get in every little bit of my hoarding spaces in closets and drawers and get rid of the mess! Let's clean up!!

Hey guys! This is definitely our first year completely decluttering and I am SO excited about it! I usually try to keep things straightened and in their spots on the shelves, boxes, etc...but I just can't do it anymore. It's annoying to continually move those things around instead of out. I also have an issue just donating SO much (it really is a lot) or giving it away as I see "value" in everything I have...isn't that why it's still here? lol...send thoughts and prayers our way! HAHA We're going to need them.

Hey guys! This is definitely our first year completely decluttering and I am SO excited about it! I usually try to keep things straightened and in their spots on the shelves, boxes, etc...but I just can't do it anymore. It's annoying to continually move those things around instead of out. I also have an issue just donating SO much (it really is a lot) or giving it away as I see "value" in everything I have...isn't that why it's still here? lol...send thoughts and prayers our way! HAHA We're going to need them.
It is hard, I have regretted a few things, but what what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. You know the minute you do make a decision and get rid of something, someone will ask where it is. Good luck.

LOL I call that the Great Shuffle!! I'm a pro at that! LOL
DH is one that sees the value in everything, hence the multiple moves of garage door parts from an old job he had. And I do it with my scrapbook supplies. But I had to be really honest with myself and ask 2 questions.
1) Does it cause you more stress to have the stuff hovering over you or worrying about money you've already spent.
The horse is already out of the paddock, you can't close the gate now. I can't think about the monetary part anymore, I have to deal with what is at hand and that is the lack of space. We are literally busting at the seams.

2) Is it more stressful to shuffle and try to find homes for lots of somethings because I "might need it some day" or is it more stressful to let it go and buy it again if the time comes I need it.
For me it's more stressful to have the stuff here. Space is at a premium in this house, it's small and 6 people live here. I can't afford to keep stuff "just in case". And 90% of the time, I have found I don't really miss it.

This is my first post ever! I have read all of the posts and I am so excited to get started. Yesterday I cleaned out the hall closet. It looks so good-I keep going back to look at it. I am not sure what I will do next but I will post every time I complete a project. Thanks for the motivation everyone!

This is my first post ever! I have read all of the posts and I am so excited to get started. Yesterday I cleaned out the hall closet. It looks so good-I keep going back to look at it. I am not sure what I will do next but I will post every time I complete a project. Thanks for the motivation everyone!
:welcome: So glad that you are here! We're in the middle of having the dining area of our kitchen ceiling repaired and, since I had to remove everything, I am KMing my cookbooks. I hardly ever look at them, looking to the internet for anything I need. By looking at them, and making a decision, I am reading some of them, so even if they don't go out....I'll be using them!

2 hours later the bathroom is clean. Found 2 empty body wash bottles from the boys, ergh.
Rearranged the cabinet under the sink a bit and DH's shaving stuff and hair stuff. He has more things than I do!! LOL

This afternoon I'm working on the pantry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter