2014 Epcot Food and Wine Festival 9/19-11/10

I thought that myself but was unsure if it was just me not enjoying how it was done so didn't say it.

Over the years she has gotten worse.

I had to laugh at my demo today as Keegan did t care and talked over her a few times and totally blew through his time spot by 20 minutes and you could she kept trying to rush him.

I have a silly question I was hoping someone could help me with. We got our F&W magic bands tonight and I was wondering. Do we need to have the band activated or is it already? Nothing is on my MDE and we had two bags with the name of the first person on the resort so there was no was to tell who's is who's? Thanks. I just thought of this question and I am way to exhausted to get up to call and ask

Looking for some quick advice. It's been a couple of years since my last Disney visit and I have never been to Food and Wine. As an avid foodie imagine my joy when I discovered my last minute conference in Orlando coincides with F&W. Since it is all last minute everything requiring a reservation was full. I will be very happy cruising the World Showcase and hitting as many food booths as possible. My flight arrives Wednesday Nov 5 around 1pm. With the conference, I figure I will only have Wednesday and Friday afternoon/evening. I am staying near Downtown Disney, not WDW property but bus transpo is offered. I'll have a rental car.

My questions:
Is entering EPCOT via the International Gateway possible and the quickest way to get fromDTD to WS? My time is limited and I want to get there as quickly as possible. Not sure that buses are a good option.

Will Wednesday 3pm til close give me enough time to hit the highlights? I will be a solo traveler so I should have
flexibility.

If I add Friday November 7 will I just be dealing with elbow to elbow crowds?

Thanks all!

Looking for some quick advice. It's been a couple of years since my last Disney visit and I have never been to Food and Wine. As an avid foodie imagine my joy when I discovered my last minute conference in Orlando coincides with F&W. Since it is all last minute everything requiring a reservation was full. I will be very happy cruising the World Showcase and hitting as many food booths as possible. My flight arrives Wednesday Nov 5 around 1pm. With the conference, I figure I will only have Wednesday and Friday afternoon/evening. I am staying near Downtown Disney, not WDW property but bus transpo is offered. I'll have a rental car.

My questions:
Is entering EPCOT via the International Gateway possible and the quickest way to get fromDTD to WS? My time is limited and I want to get there as quickly as possible. Not sure that buses are a good option.

Will Wednesday 3pm til close give me enough time to hit the highlights? I will be a solo traveler so I should have
flexibility.

If I add Friday November 7 will I just be dealing with elbow to elbow crowds?

Thanks all!

1. yes, it's the fastest way but you are probably out of luck. Disney is wise to this trick and will not let you park at the resorts without a dining reservation. You can pay to valet or park at the Swan/Dolphin (I did that last trip one day $17)

2. Probably not, but do some research and see what you want and focus on that. I generally can only eat two to three items before I am full.

3. Friday gets more crowded, but if you have admission (AP?) then go for it. If you have to buy a one day ticket...

If you want to do one of the wine/beverage seminars often they have a lot of seats open on the day of.

Just curious as to whether there has been any general consensus from those who purchased the premium package? I saw an early report that felt the "goodie bag" was nothing special and that the premium areas weren't worth it either without seating and/or umbrella shelter from the elements. Sounds like some seating and umbrellas were subsequently added - did that make a difference? And what about the late night party? Know all the Tues parties were canceled due to low bookings but were the Thursday parties any fun? Would anyone purchase the package again, if offered?

Just curious - would love to hear from anyone who tried it. We had thought about trying it this year but sadly had to cancel the trip due to an emergency. Already thinking ahead to next year. ;)

Over the years she has gotten worse.

I totally agree. I cringe when she hosts a deminar. At one we went to this week, she spent a lot of time telling us about her Thanksgiving menu from last year. She really does like the sound of her own voice. There is a guy who is so much better and funnier than she.

Just curious as to whether there has been any general consensus from those who purchased the premium package? I saw an early report that felt the "goodie bag" was nothing special and that the premium areas weren't worth it either without seating and/or umbrella shelter from the elements. Sounds like some seating and umbrellas were subsequently added - did that make a difference? And what about the late night party? Know all the Tues parties were canceled due to low bookings but were the Thursday parties any fun? Would anyone purchase the package again, if offered?

Just curious - would love to hear from anyone who tried it. We had thought about trying it this year but sadly had to cancel the trip due to an emergency. Already thinking ahead to next year. ;)

I did the premium package and I enjoyed it, I did go mid October and by then the areas had seating and umbrellas. It was great to be able to sit and eat and drink without having to find a place to put my food down. It was also great when I wanted food from one place and wine from somewhere else.

The only thing that I didn't care for was late nights live and I can't really put my finger on why, I think maybe it is just growing pains as it was the first year and they need to work on it.

I would do it next year if offered and I would be willing to pay more for it if they had the premium areas available on the weekends.

I totally agree. I cringe when she hosts a deminar. At one we went to this week, she spent a lot of time telling us about her Thanksgiving menu from last year. She really does like the sound of her own voice. There is a guy who is so much better and funnier than she.
Yes, there is a guy (I think his name is John) who is very good. He injects just the right amount of conversation and has a pleasant speaking voice. If he was the regular culinary host I would be inclined to give them another try. I attend those seminars in hopes I will learn something, not to listen to the host's chit chat.

Of course tasting something good is also a big part of why we go so I am also really curious if Disney is deliberately downsizing to just one sample item at the culinary demos or if we were just unlucky last year.

Oh my goodness, I thought it was just my husband and I that didn't care for her. (She reminds us of dh's brother's wife). We are always happy to go to a deminar where she is not hosting.

It is very interesting that others have the same opinion. Maybe Disney needs to know how we feel.

I enjoyed it, didn't do the late night party because mine was cancelled and I just had them refund that part. Had a nice time schmoozing with the cast members in the premium areas. The most fun I had was watching the folks who had no concept of what the word "reserved" meant and would outright duck under the barricades to come in and use the tables. The cast members had to go kick them out. One woman just moved her stuff to a table that didn't have the "reserved" menu on it and tried to pretend she didn't know the whole area was reserved. One woman sent her kid in, likely with the thought that they wouldn't kick out a kid (wrong). The last day I used it a woman had a spectacular meltdown outside the Germany/Singapore area, complaining that Disney roped off tables and there weren't enough tables for her party to use unless she paid extra. I like my glass and magic band. Haven't tried the wine. The chocolate box is cute. They gave me a corkscrew too. I'm using the insulated bag for lunches. It'll hold a tupperware of soup. I kind of wish the design on front was embroidered though, it looks like silkscreened.

I won't be staying long enough to purchase it again if they offer it next year. I think I'm going for a Weds-Tues and not arriving until Weds night, so I would likely have only 2 days (Thursday and Monday) to use the areas. If they extend the areas to the weekends I'd buy it in a second.

I enjoyed it....I like my glass and magic band. Haven't tried the wine. The chocolate box is cute. They gave me a corkscrew too. I'm using the insulated bag for lunches. It'll hold a tupperware of soup. I kind of wish the design on front was embroidered though, it looks like silkscreened.

I won't be staying long enough to purchase it again if they offer it next year. I think I'm going for a Weds-Tues and not arriving until Weds night, so I would likely have only 2 days (Thursday and Monday) to use the areas. If they extend the areas to the weekends I'd buy it in a second.

....those LED glasses WERE really cool-looking!

...we did the deminar that featured Jerome Brown; it was a pairing with a New Zealand Pinot Noir and pheasant - OMG, delicious, and so worth the $15! BTW, that was on Thursday [Oct 30]...

...for us:

Best-tasting food sample:

Canada ~ “Le Cellier” wild mushroom beef filet mignon with truffle butter sauce
Greece ~ Griddled Greek cheese with pistachios and honey (gluten free)
New Zealand ~ Venison sausage with pickled mushrooms, baby arugula and black currant reduction (gluten free)

Honorable Mention :
Brazil ~ Crispy pork belly with black beans, tomato and cilantro (gluten free)
Puerto Rico ~ Tostones (fried green plantains with mayo ketchup)

Best-tasting drink/beverage sample:

Canada ~ Neige Premiere Apple Ice Wine
New Zealand ~ Kim Crawford Pinot Noir
Puerto Rico ~ Frozen San Juan Breeze with Don Q Limón

Honorable Mention:
Ireland ~ Bunratty Meade Honey Wine

Weirdest-tasting item:
Greece ~ Tzatziki martini featuring Crop Organic Cucumber Vodka and BOLS Natural Yogurt Liqueur

Carla Hall made a huge (for a sample) chocolate peanut cookie tart, could have been served for dessert pretty much anywhere, didn't hear anything bad about it except for those allergic to peanuts who were given one made without peanuts. Apparently the one without peanuts wasn't that good. of course $15 for a dessert and some wine is high, but you got to see a celebrity chef.

Oh my goodness, I thought it was just my husband and I that didn't care for her. (She reminds us of dh's brother's wife). We are always happy to go to a deminar where she is not hosting. It is very interesting that others have the same opinion. Maybe Disney needs to know how we feel.

I have actually complained at Guest Relations.

Really enjoyed the Festival this year.

MOST of the food items in the booths that I tried were very good. Brazilian Cheesy Bread for the win!

Pam Smith is sweet and sincere, and no I am not a personal friend. As far as rushing the chefs, it is her job to keep on a time schedule. Agreed she interjects a bit too much but she knows all those chefs and it is more like a friendly discussion for her.

Did the Premium Package without the Live Night because it was cancelled for the Tuesday night I was there. Bummer.

Loved the Reserved Sections because it allowed the group of us to enjoy the food yet talk with each other at the same time. Disney needs to figure a better grouping for some of the booths. One reserved section would have 2 food booths and another would have 4, which means prompt service in one and long waits in the other. 4 booths for the CMS to walk back and forth for service was a bit much. Maybe more CMs would work too.

Premium Package worth the cost, IMO.

Attended PftS on Oct 25, basic cost. Never had any problems finding a place to sit. All those I asked to share a table with were gracious and pleasant. It's a party! Why wouldn't you be happy?

Best-tasting drink/beverage sample:

Canada ~ Neige Premiere Apple Ice Wine
New Zealand ~ Kim Crawford Pinot Noir
Puerto Rico ~ Frozen San Juan Breeze with Don Q Limón
I like every Neige product I've tried. It has become a tradition to start our first day at F&W with a glass of Neige Bubble. I'm so glad to hear that Neige products were available again this year. I hope they are back next year too.

Really enjoyed the Festival this year. MOST of the food items in the booths that I tried were very good. Brazilian Cheesy Bread for the win! Pam Smith is sweet and sincere, and no I am not a personal friend. As far as rushing the chefs, it is her job to keep on a time schedule. Agreed she interjects a bit too much but she knows all those chefs and it is more like a friendly discussion for her.

Pam Smith is sweet and sincere, and no I am not a personal friend. As far as rushing the chefs, it is her job to keep on a time schedule. Agreed she interjects a bit too much but she knows all those chefs and it is more like a friendly discussion for her.

But I paid to see a cooking demonstration by a celebrity chef, by the time the "friendly discussion" concluded, there was barely time for the chef to demonstrate. Granted it was not expensive, but I didn't pay to hear Pam Smith, I paid to learn from the chef. If she wants to chat, that shouldn't be on my dime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter