(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could stay at either a moderate or value the first night - check out and have the hotel ship your bags to the GF -- since you would have a room only reservation, I think you would need to check out and go to the GF (take the bus from whichever hotel you are staying at to the MK - then hop on either the monorail or the small boat that goes between the GF/Poly/MK and check in -- by doing that you will activate your park passes -- PLUS, your bags can be tranferred from the first hotel right to your room at the GF. The only concern you would have is that your bags won't arrive later in the day - however, pack what you think you will need into 1 carryon and bring it with you when you check in - then leave in your room.

Tom

You could stay at either a moderate or value the first night - check out and have the hotel ship your bags to the GF -- since you would have a room only reservation, I think you would need to check out and go to the GF (take the bus from whichever hotel you are staying at to the MK - then hop on either the monorail or the small boat that goes between the GF/Poly/MK and check in -- by doing that you will activate your park passes -- PLUS, your bags can be tranferred from the first hotel right to your room at the GF. The only concern you would have is that your bags won't arrive later in the day - however, pack what you think you will need into 1 carryon and bring it with you when you check in - then leave in your room.

Tom

Thanks! I thought in the morning we could just take a cab to the GF from the value/mod, and check in. If our room isn't ready, they can store our bags. That activates our magic bands, and we get a full day in the parks. Would that work?

Thanks! I thought in the morning we could just take a cab to the GF from the value/mod, and check in. If our room isn't ready, they can store our bags. That activates our magic bands, and we get a full day in the parks. Would that work?

Absolutely - I was just trying to save you the cab fare and hassle of moving your bags yourself!

Tom

View attachment 106041

These bunnies are dressed to celebrate, Blue! Happy Birthday, GF!!!

What adorable towel bunnies!! :goodvibes Definitely dressed for a celebration! Did a wonderful mousekeeper in SL make them for you..it so..I bet I know who it is....Its such fun to get back to the room and be greeted by them!

Blue true, we visited Contempo when we stay at any monorail resort. I make a point of having something to eat at each, also like going into the shops!

Gotta love dining around the monorail resorts!! Its always about the food Sue...:thumbsup2

Thanks very much! :)

You are very welcome! :)

You are welcome! Hopefully I can fix it up neater when I get time and possibly do the outer building too.

Hmmm, Blue was far more behaved on our trip together! Must have been on her best behaviour since she was with dd:)

Don't believe everything you read around here....lol!!! :flower3:

Defintely Sago -- we love staying there -- the view of the Marina is part of the "garden view" group, and the location is really nice -- you can cut through between the Convention Center and the main building to get to the bus too.

Tom

Hi Tom! Good to see you....Thanks for popping in and sharing your experience and perspective on staying in Sago....:thumbsup2

Hi guys! We are going back to the Grand Floridian in October. We check into the GF on a Sunday. It is cheaper for us to fly out Saturday evening, by about $350. Does anyone recommend checking into a value or moderate on Saturday night and then heading to the Grand Sunday morning? That way we could still use magical express from the airport? Am I making sense? Is this a terrible idea? I thought I would ask here because everyone is so nice and helpful on this thread. Thanks! The GF is $600 on Saturday night, so a room only reservation there isn't really saving!

I think that there are a lot of people who do this..particularly if they are arriving later in the day...being able to use ME and then being on property when you transfer resorts is very convenient...We did it once..and it was easy peasy as they say! And I wouldn't hesitate to do it again...I would suggest letting them know at the GF that you are transferring from another resort and plan on being there earlier in the day...and I would not be surprised if your room is ready early too...We booked a night at a moderate...CBR ... arrived late the night before our GF stay...and tranferred early the next morning without a hitch...:thumbsup2

Circusgirl Your wonderful pictures are just the right way to start the week :goodvibes ..thank you for sharing them..They made me smile, hungry..and wish that I was at the GF now!

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a magical Monday...princess: Preppy GF gal....

Last edited:
Any recommendations on which outer building has the best location for a Garden View room.

I figured Sago Kay or Big Pine Key as they are closer to the main building.
I liked Boca Chica GV, had a nice view of the Courtyard Pool and gardens. With Big Pine you run the risk of the pool house obstructing your views.

Hi guys! We are going back to the Grand Floridian in October. We check into the GF on a Sunday. It is cheaper for us to fly out Saturday evening, by about $350. Does anyone recommend checking into a value or moderate on Saturday night and then heading to the Grand Sunday morning? That way we could still use magical express from the airport? Am I making sense? Is this a terrible idea? I thought I would ask here because everyone is so nice and helpful on this thread. Thanks! The GF is $600 on Saturday night, so a room only reservation there isn't really saving!
I do this if I'm arriving later or have other plans our first day. I have booked Pop our arrival day. Then bright & early the next morning I take a taxi with my luggage to transfer over. If your room isn't ready you can store luggage with Bell Service.

Thanks everyone for the input on booking a value one night before we check into the Grand. I booked an Art of Animation Little Mermaid standard room for Saturday night. We end up saving about $250 by flying in Saturday including the room. Plus we now avoid an early morning flight on Sunday and basically get a full well rested day at the parks.

My husband is a little worried our Little Mermaid obsessed 4 year old may not want to leave AoA for the Grand! Ha! Anyway, thanks everyone for the input. Love this thread!

What adorable towel bunnies!! :goodvibes Definitely dressed for a celebration! Did a wonderful mousekeeper in SL make them for you..it so..I bet I know who it is....Its such fun to get back to the room and be greeted by them!

Blue, the bunnies were from RPC. I'm sure anyone who has stayed on the Main Building fourth floor would recognise the mousekeeper in question!

What are your opinions on club level in the Sugar Loaf building? We (my husband, two daughters ages 17 and 11, and me) are considering trying club level our next trip. I know it isn't really a "deal', but I'm interested for convenience and a different experience for my girls. So, did you use it enough to justify the price? Just your general opinions of your stay at club level would be great! :thumbsup2

There are four sisters in my family, and three of us enjoy Disney. My two sisters are leaving for BWI in one day...without me! AGH! This is a spur of the moment trip (all paid for and wouldn't cost me one cent) and I can't go.

My one sister and I own a company together, so someone (ME) has to stay back with the troops. Honestly, I hope they have a wonderful time, but I soooo wish I was going. This is killing me!! :crazy2:

I have the Grand to look forward to in December and that will just have to do. Oh, the sacrifices!! :sad1:

In celebration of having booked my FPs, here is more photo love for the Grand. The food photos are from SL. 60 days!

DSC_4961 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_7263 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_7265 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_4969 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5568 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5127 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5005 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5095 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_3972 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_3971 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_3311 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_3309 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_2734 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_2507 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_1706 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr
Love these pix!!! As always thanks for posting.

What are your opinions on club level in the Sugar Loaf building? We (my husband, two daughters ages 17 and 11, and me) are considering trying club level our next trip. I know it isn't really a "deal', but I'm interested for convenience and a different experience for my girls. So, did you use it enough to justify the price? Just your general opinions of your stay at club level would be great! :thumbsup2
I think MickeyLuv'r put it best. It's not just the convenience of having extra space for your family to spread out, the savings in money you get for not really needing as many food and drinks during the day but the TIME savings you get.

Instead of walking to a QS or FS breakfast you can grab it right there in your building. It's nice that people can eat as they get ready instead of waiting for everyone to be ready at the same time. With 3 females in the group this is very helpful. That is also convenient during bad weather too, no heading out in rain for your am coffee!!!

Also at night instead of spending hours in travel and meal you can eat and head right out!

The girls will love tea time and night desserts! Since its a short boat or monorail away you can head back from MK and still go back to park if needed.

Downside: there are not windows/view/patio like many other cl's. However, I find I really enjoyed spending time on the room balcony. (You can bring a tray back to your room)The views from SL are either of the courtyard pool or marina so both are relaxing!

Lastly the location of SL is great! So close to everything, pool(s), main building, boat etc.

I think you would like it. The fun you all would have poolside and enjoying the fun offerings (I repeat teatime and desserts!!!)would make for an extra special vacation. Reminder dd17 will really be getting busy and you may not have this chance again. I vote, GO FOR IT:)

Last edited:

Honestly, we like flying in a day ahead of our check-in at the Grand so that we can check -in early the next day and hopefully have a better chance of getting our room request! Once, they took us to our room and we didn't like it, so they got us another one. If we had checked in later, there might not have been another room available. When we fly in for fall break, we have to work around school, so we can't leave until evening...which means we won't get into Orlando until midnight (approximately) so there's no way we'd go straight to GF. We do rent a car so it's easier, but that's not an extra cost for us because we like to drive to the parks anyway (HS and AK).

I think MickeyLuv'r put it best. It's not just the convenience of having extra space for your family to spread out, the savings in money you get for not really needing as many food and drinks during the day but the TIME savings you get.

Instead of walking to a QS or FS breakfast you can grab it right there in your building. It's nice that people can eat as they get ready instead of waiting for everyone to be ready at the same time. With 3 females in the group this is very helpful. That is also convenient during bad weather too, no heading out in rain for your am coffee!!!

Also at night instead of spending hours in travel and meal you can eat and head right out!

The girls will love tea time and night desserts! Since its a short boat or monorail away you can head back from MK and still go back to park if needed.

Downside: there are not windows/view/patio like many other cl's. However, I find I really enjoyed spending time on the room balcony. (You can bring a tray back to your room)The views from SL are either of the courtyard pool or marina so both are relaxing!

Lastly the location of SL is great! So close to everything, pool(s), main building, boat etc.

I think you would like it. The fun you all would have poolside and enjoying the fun offerings (I repeat teatime and desserts!!!)would make for an extra special vacation. Reminder dd17 will really be getting busy and you may not have this chance again. I vote, GO FOR IT:)

Thank you so much!! I think I just needed a little encouragement! :thanks:

My girls (16 and 11 ...17 and 12 in the fall), LOVE CL!! They have told me that if we can't stay CL, they would rather not go (it doesn't always have to be at GF, however, as long as it's CL). It just makes it a little more "special" and they love all the snacks and drinks! We love to take lunch back to the lounge too. It's really nice to get out of the crowded parks and come back to the lounge. I totally agree with Trishadono's statements concerning SL, and I think you would enjoy it!

So, I read on another thread about not getting to EPCOT at rope drop on time. IF the monorail is starting at 8:30 and you have to then connect at TTC for the Epcot mono is there a bus to use instead?

I suppose we could hike past poly and on to ttc by foot but I would rather not.

TIA
Oh I checked page one and didn't see anything there.

So, I read on another thread about not getting to EPCOT at rope drop on time. IF the monorail is starting at 8:30 and you have to then connect at TTC for the Epcot mono is there a bus to use instead?

I suppose we could hike past poly and on to ttc by foot but I would rather not.

TIA
Oh I checked page one and didn't see anything there.
Just found this on the poly thread. It says ends 7/15 so I guess I am ok. Hope this helps others though.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/transportat...ney-world-monorail-system-operating-hours.htm

I'm going to agree with all the previous posters who have said that we really enjoy CL. We like the extra space, plus the convenience of just walking to the lounge to grab a drink or a quick snack. In the mornings I really appreciate it... we are not all ready to leave the room at the same time, and I don't want to waste time going to a restaurant and waiting for food. With CL, we can leave the room when each of us is ready (no small kids here) and meet up in the lounge in time for rope drop. D takes longer to eat but is ready earlier than my DH, so it's also a time-saver for us. The big downside for my family (other than cost) is that we really miss it when we don't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter