2013 Madeira Port Schedule Out!

Oh my goodness!!! I am getting excited again!!

My DH originally said I could book a TA but now it seems like he is waffling. He told me to go do research on what there is to do in Madeira. Anyone know what kind of shore excursions are offered?

My DH originally said I could book a TA but now it seems like he is waffling. He told me to go do research on what there is to do in Madeira. Anyone know what kind of shore excursions are offered?

Madeira is a lovely port--but you don't choose a TA for the ports! Remember that you'll have 6 consecutive sea days before you hit Madeira to refuel! OK, we were there for the flower festival in April, 2010, which was fun. On my stops, we seemed to hit Madeira on a Sunday, which means a lot of things are not open. There is a nice HOHO bus that takes you to see the area (2 loops, actually). There is shopping in the area that you can walk to from the port. The port itself is not very nice, but it is a very short walk to a lookout area (worth a few minutes and free) and about a 15 minute walk into town. It is flat along the waterfront, but quickly becomes hilly. The area is known for wine making and exquisite hand embroidery; you can see/purchase both if desired. You'll only be in Madeira for a day.

Our next stop was Gibralter--another fun port. Obviously, we don't know what DCL had in mind after Madeira.

If it helps--the EB was Port Canaveral, then Castaway, then 6 sea days...then the European ports on the way to Barcelona. If they are doing Eastern Med, I don't know if Barcelona will even be on the list. Madeira is the first refueling port, so no surprise that it is on the list.

How totally exciting ... and what a way to start 2012 ... if Disney magic is coming back to Europe I had better start saving .. everything crossed for Venice !!!

Decisions, decisions - if they are offering Med cruises in 2013 do I change my Fantasy Dec 2013 New Years cruise to a Med cruise? DH will be absolutely no help here. I would definitely take my mom if that is the case

If it helps--the EB was Port Canaveral, then Castaway, then 6 sea days...then the European ports on the way to Barcelona. If they are doing Eastern Med, I don't know if Barcelona will even be on the list. Madeira is the first refueling port, so no surprise that it is on the list.

So, the ship would depart Port Canaveral about May 20th (Monday) or the previous weekend? Rats! My kids would have to miss the last 2 weeks of school . . . exams! Bummer!

Jodie

Now I have to decide if I want to do our Fantasy cruise in February or a med cruise during summer, how difficult.
Caribbean in february is cold while the med in july or august will be extremely hot, both isn't perfect, but no longhaul flight and no time difference is very seducing...

I would so switch my October Hawaii 2012 to a WBTA in 2013....we have done the Panama Canal cruise but my dream has always been to do a transatlantic and in the past the timing has just not worked out.:goodvibes

MJ
Why not do both?
Madeira is a lovely port--but you don't choose a TA for the ports!

I do Transatlantics for the ports, and I've been on 3 (Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Princess) that had very good to excellent itineraries. I haven't thought much of DCL's Transatlantic itineraries in the past, but here's hoping 2013 has something more interesting than Madeira, Gibraltar, and 2 ports in Spain.

How does one of this cruise work? If we move to Kentucky we might be able to do they May one.

So, the ship would depart Port Canaveral about May 20th (Monday) or the previous weekend? Rats! My kids would have to miss the last 2 weeks of school . . . exams! Bummer!

Jodie

That's pretty late to be starting a Transatlantic cruise, and even later for the first Med cruises when it's already hot.

That's pretty late to be starting a Transatlantic cruise, and even later for the first Med cruises when it's already hot.

Yes - later than the others DCL has done. I seem to remember those earlier dates going on sale and DCL having a hard time filling the ship. Perhaps they're going later in the season for that reason.

We did the Western Med in mid-June and the weather was very spring-like - except for 2 days that were blazing hot. Overall it was very nice. However, I don't think I would have enjoyed the heat in July and August.

J

Sounds exciting - I would love the Magic to return to Europe! :)

Everyone is different of course, but for DH and I, it is one of our favorite ports in all of our cruises. We have been 3 times and cannot wait to go back in 2013! Our first time, we did the "Unforgettable West Madeira" tour offered through DCL. It is an all day tour and takes you to many stops. It is one of the most beautiful places with diverse landscapes I have ever seen and has a lot of charm! If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me!

So if you go by the last transatlantic, things may or may not make sense or be different

Last 2011 EBTA
(Sat:May 14:PC)
(Sun:May 15:CC)
(Mon-Sat: At Sea)
(Sun: May 22: Madeira)
(Mon: May 23: Sea)
(Tue: May 24: Cadiz, Spain)
(Wed: May 25: Gibraltar)

If we know that 2013:

Tues: May 28: Madeira
Wed: May 29: (at sea, assume)
Thur: May 30: Gibraltar
Fri: May 31: (at sea, assumed)
Sat: June 1: (Barcelona, assumed)

and it takes minimum 5-6 days to cross the atlantic

Then we can guess...
1) It is not going to stop in Cadiz between Madeira and Gibraltar
2) If it leaves on a Saturday (May 18) like 2011, it leaves 9 days inbetween PC and Madeira, so it has to stop somewhere else inbetween (I think this is the unlikely scenario, if the TA is still 14 days, because it still has to go to Barcelona) OR
3) It's not going to leave on Saturday, and may leave Sun(19), Mon(20), or Tues(21).. (I think this is more likely with Monday the most likely)
4) If the EBTA only goes to Barcelona after Gibraltar, and there are western/eastern med planned, the first and last ones may be repos from Barcelona to Rome

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!