• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2012 Destashing Thread

Hi, I would love to join this group. DH and I are moving into the master bedroom soon (we decided to reclean and repaint the entire room and bathroom so all of our stuff is out of that room. Somehow in the few months that we have not been in there, we accumulated a lot of stuff. When we move our stuff back in, I do not want a lot of clutter so I really want to start destashing now. I am going to try for the 100 items but maybe do it today and tomorrow. We'll see what I can come up with.

Although I recently went through both of my chidlren's room recently, I got 100 items out of my daughter's room yesterday/today. Between trash and things she just decided she doesn't play with anymore. 20+ used up coloring books and notebooks, broken pencils and crayons, pens that won't write, broken dress-up jewelry, and more :) On to my my son's room now.

I finally hit 100 but I had to really look for stuff. I'm happy to say that the last year's thread really helped & I think I have gone through all our closets, drawers, cabinets, etc. over the last year and things are pretty pared down. Most of our clutter is daily living stuff that no one seems to put away.

I still need to organize my pics & I'm hoping to make that a summer project. I have a small pile of stuff to sell but will set a date and donate them too if they are still in the house.

I love this thread!
I am constantly trying to "destash" My biggest problem is that I buy nice things for my kids with the idea that i will sell them on ebay when we are done - and I do ... but I am not as good at doing it promptly as I should be. I also have to constantly be reminding myself that it is good to give some stuff away - things that are too big or heavy to ship in a cost effective way - or clothes that are no longer in close to perfect condition.
My youngest is 2.5 so lately I have been working on de-stashing the last of her baby stuff - mostly to friends that are having babies.
There are very few things I have had issues with getting rid of - but I can already forsee having problems when both my kids outgrow all of their kid-stuff.

I got rid of dd's
3 dress type Pj's
2 pairs of flip flops
3 coloring books
1 book
3 tops
1 small wood file table drawer
1 cd program manual
1 cd

15 items so far. I cleaned a section of my 3rd room which is a office/craft/junk room. I threw out a large bag of trash, paper, boxes, packages. Now i need to go through dd's pile of junk (clothes, toys, purses, shoes, misc) she left in that room.

I have been working on getting rid of the clutter as well. A great motivator for me is finding a charity that will come to you and pick up donations. I love it because it saves me the time and effort of going to goodwill plus it gives me a deadline. I know Goodwill will come if you have a lot of furniture, also the Cancer Federation, but I usually donate to the Vietnam Veterans Association, they will take anything but electric tools and exercise machines.

I have been working on getting rid of the clutter as well. A great motivator for me is finding a charity that will come to you and pick up donations. I love it because it saves me the time and effort of going to goodwill plus it gives me a deadline. I know Goodwill will come if you have a lot of furniture, also the Cancer Federation, but I usually donate to the Vietnam Veterans Association, they will take anything but electric tools and exercise machines.

I do this, too. I use Purple Heart and can even schedule the pickup online. It makes decluttering so much easier.

I'm setting aside toys that people give to my new baby for her Christmas presents. She won't know about them, and I'll try to not buy her much at Christmas time.

I'm up to 70 things so far. I give away constantly, so it's hard for me to find things that we don't actually use on a regular basis. I guess that's a good thing? I did find an old ice tray and one-use ice pack (aleady used) in the freezer today, so those are gone now, too. I'm also trying to not bring much into the house. That really really helps.

I am still working at destashing. We found out over the weekend we are moving!!! Yeah!!! So I spent the weekend packing stuff we won't need right now, and have been pitching a ton of stuff. I realize that there is stuff that I just don't want to move!!! I have a bunch of bags to drop off.

I got rid of dd's
3 dress type Pj's
2 pairs of flip flops
3 coloring books
1 book
3 tops
1 small wood file table drawer
1 cd program manual
1 cd

15 items so far. I cleaned a section of my 3rd room which is a office/craft/junk room. I threw out a large bag of trash, paper, boxes, packages. Now i need to go through dd's pile of junk (clothes, toys, purses, shoes, misc) she left in that room.

I started going through the huge pile in my spare room. I have a few items I'm going to post on craigslist. Hopefully the items will sell because the extra money will be nice. I plan on going through my stashes and posting stuff here and there. By July whatever hasn't sold will be donated.
So tonight I have another ....
-25 items of girls clothes
-desk
-tv cabinet
-cardio machine
-comforter
-2 deco pillo cases
-3 deco pillows
-1 top tossed in trash stained

Hopefully the above items sell so that will be a total of 50 items. I still have a lot more to go through. I have a lot of clothes to get rid of. Is it better to sell single item of clothing at a yardsale or in bulk on craigslist? I know at a yardsale I clothes will go for less and CL clothes go for more $.

I started going through the huge pile in my spare room. I have a few items I'm going to post on craigslist. Hopefully the items will sell because the extra money will be nice. I plan on going through my stashes and posting stuff here and there. By July whatever hasn't sold will be donated.
So tonight I have another ....
-25 items of girls clothes
-desk
-tv cabinet
-cardio machine
-comforter
-2 deco pillo cases
-3 deco pillows
-1 top tossed in trash stained

Hopefully the above items sell so that will be a total of 50 items. I still have a lot more to go through. I have a lot of clothes to get rid of. Is it better to sell single item of clothing at a yardsale or in bulk on craigslist? I know at a yardsale I clothes will go for less and CL clothes go for more $.

yaaay! We sold our desk for $25 on craigslist. I'm posting a bunch of stuff. I got a lil addicted to posting on CL -lol! Hopefully I sale a few more items.

I've also added more itemes to my get rid of list

-treadmill
-swing
-bouncer
-2 car seats
-file cabinet
-ab cruncher

Total in the get rid of list 57 items

How is everyone doing with destashing???

I post a desk, treadmill and gazelle exercise equip on craigs List and sold. I've posted clothes too but no luck on those. Today I pulled into my garage and it was so nice having a lil more space. The clothes i had in my spare room are in bags to sell in Lots . It feels good to walk into my spare room and not see a huge pile of stuff. I still have a large bag of toys to go through and maybe 2 more lots of clothes to post. If these dont sale then I will have to have a yardsale then donate the rest. I still have a lot more stuff to destash that in my garage but selling the bigger items will make it easier to go through the rest of the stuff.

I think i'm getting addicted to Destashing especially when its bringing in CA$H!

So give updates on how your all doing. Lets keep motivating each other

How is everyone doing with destashing???

I post a desk, treadmill and gazelle exercise equip on craigs List and sold. I've posted clothes too but no luck on those. Today I pulled into my garage and it was so nice having a lil more space. The clothes i had in my spare room are in bags to sell in Lots . It feels good to walk into my spare room and not see a huge pile of stuff. I still have a large bag of toys to go through and maybe 2 more lots of clothes to post. If these dont sale then I will have to have a yardsale then donate the rest. I still have a lot more stuff to destash that in my garage but selling the bigger items will make it easier to go through the rest of the stuff.

I think i'm getting addicted to Destashing especially when its bringing in CA$H!

So give updates on how your all doing. Lets keep motivating each other

Where did everyone go????Anyone else destashing/decluttering?????

Well I got rid of 62 pieces of my dd's clothes. At first i had them listed as lots on CL. I got some helpful hints from the dis MB. I listed the 3 lots into one huge lot and listed greats for people with kids, resellers or anyone opening up a store or consignment shop. I had 2 people respond. 2 people interested one offered $20 less and the 2nd asked if i'd go down in price. I lowered it by $10 and let her know someone else was also interested. Sold!!
I've maid $185 in the lastweek.

I have another lot of clothes i need to take photos of and 2 more tubs of dd's clothes to go through . I also have a bag of dh's clothes to go throught but those will be posted cheap. The last stuff to destash will be dd's old toys.

so how are you destashing......
yardsale
trashing it
donating
giving it away
etc,

any challenges going on?

Where did everyone go????Anyone else destashing/decluttering?????

Well I got rid of 62 pieces of my dd's clothes. At first i had them listed as lots on CL. I got some helpful hints from the dis MB. I listed the 3 lots into one huge lot and listed greats for people with kids, resellers or anyone opening up a store or consignment shop. I had 2 people respond. 2 people interested one offered $20 less and the 2nd asked if i'd go down in price. I lowered it by $10 and let her know someone else was also interested. Sold!!
I've maid $185 in the lastweek.

I have another lot of clothes i need to take photos of and 2 more tubs of dd's clothes to go through . I also have a bag of dh's clothes to go throught but those will be posted cheap. The last stuff to destash will be dd's old toys.

so how are you destashing......
yardsale
trashing it
donating
giving it away
etc,

any challenges going on?

Sounds great! I'm plugging along, doing some donating, a few Craigslist sales, some tossing out. Its starting to look alot better!

What is the *dis MB* ?

Sounds great! I'm plugging along, doing some donating, a few Craigslist sales, some tossing out. Its starting to look alot better!

What is the *dis MB* ?

dis MB is this site= DIS Message Board:goodvibes

My plans were to come home and destash some more but I was helping dd with a project. The clothes I sold made a huge difference inthe large pile i had in my spare room. My goal is to get rid of the rest of that pile, Then i will move on to the tubs in the garage

For now, until we move my destashing is done. Recently we did get rid of our tread mill. :thumbsup2

DH on flight to Florida right now for an interview. Cross your fingers :hippie: he gets the position :goodvibes

This years thread is MUCH slower than previous ones :surfweb:

Lots of destashing going on. Have company coming for Easter and all the junk is in the spare room. Got rid of the cardboard box collection & a huge bag ready to go to goodwill. Have some stuff to go on craigslist too but out of town this weekend & will probably wait until we get back.

Best part so far is the cans of paint left in the garage by the previous homeowner that finally got taken to hazardous waste. Lived there 7 years :rotfl:

dh is redoing my cabinet so theres 2 big drawers that i need to go through and clean out. I found two more bags of clothes in my spareroom closet:rolleyes1 so now i need to go through that and post it on CL along with my dd's clothes i have. in that same room. I dont know if I will ever make it to the garage bins-lol!

25 pieces of womens clothes i hope sells on Cl
30 pieces of dd's clothes to post
the 2 bags i found in closet probably have another 40 pieces

I still need to hit
-my closet
-dh's side of the closet
-walk way closet
-craft closet
-garage tubs
-shed

is there a DIS group where we can post not to sell stuff but get tips for selling stuff or how to price things. A section just for this kind of stuff.

destashing continues today. I feel a lil lost today. I found so many new lil items . I use to do all sorts of crafts so I'd buy stuff to make and never used.
I got one tub and put the new itemes in 3 picture frames, cute flower bookmarker, deco bird house, 2 easal stands, set of wall deco scrolls, 6 xmas candle holders, x-mas teddy bear small gift holder, a few angels and bears nick knacks, and a brand new x-mas gift i got its the 2 cows 1 is a creamer and the other not sure and it comes with candy still in package. the candy is no good but the cows make cute decor,

in another bag i but several spools of brand new wired ribbon, plactic button pins,

I need another box for dd's toys. I found 2 brand new games, squinkie holiday set that we forgot to give her for x-mas(so much for hiding it til x-mas) new kids keyboard(another gift we forgot to give her cuz we were hiding it until x-mas-lol!

Another box I'm putting clothes in

This is still only from my spare room. I still need to go through my craft stuff

I never really realized how much extra stuff we have that we dont need, or we never used or we forgot about. I can't believe I found some of dd's x-mas toys . This year for x-mas I will buy a huge x-mas giftbag and put all her gift in there until they get wrapped. Dh and I hide her gift in different spots oh boy.

well my goal is to finish most of this room tonight. Doing all this destashing is making my allergies go nuts!

whats everyone working on ? Are there any challenges going on? I've lost track of my numbers. My main goal is to have my home completely destashed by july30th of this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even better if its done sooner

In prepping for our move, DS 20 and myself helped DH in the shed today. He divided up the tools for each of the boys (other DS 17) and my step father. Trashed are 2 fenders from truck we no longer have, LOTS of tools (paint, nails, screws...), a saw horse, a bike and just shed/garage stuff in general.

HUGE job we checked off our to-do list! :thumbsup2

What are planning on working on this weekend? :confused3 :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter