2012/2013 Beach and Yacht FAQ- Closing Soon- New Thread Started- Don't Post Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teena - Welcome Back! Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

NinjaMom - your trip is getting close - have a magical trip!!!

Teena - Welcome Back! Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

NinjaMom - your trip is getting close - have a magical trip!!!

We had a wonderful time. Probably worst weather we've ever had on a cruise though. Hardly any sun at all. Seas were very calm though. There was some sun the morning at Castaway but it was cold (high 60's, low 70's) with pretty good wind so we only walked around and had lunch there. I never expect to actually have a "beach" day at Castaway from mid-November through the end of March. A beach day to me means when you sit on the beach you get so hot you need to be in the water most of the time and the water doesn't turn you purple. The Bahamas are so far north compared to the Caribbean that I never plan on our winter Disney cruises being good Castaway "beach" days.

Our brunch at Palo was, as usual, the highlight of our cruise.

We just relaxed, actually more like collapsed, ate, read and enjoyed the beautiful ship!! This will probably be our last Disney Western Caribbean. Costa Maya is a total waste of time and Cozumel has gotten so bad that there is no reason to go ashore ... JMO of course. I'm sure if you spend the money and do an excursion you might enjoy it but people I talked to that went to the beach in Costa Maya said it was horrible and the "ruins" were nothing worth seeing. When you get off the ship it's a bunch of cheap t-shirt places and cops with machine guns ... yep, real machine guns. The good stores in Cozumel are all gone. I remember the days of Venetian, Milano, Effy, etc. And the friends we were with ... Lois and I were walking ahead of Bob and Fred. You couldn't tell the men were really with us. A man actually grabbed Lois' arm and tried to pull her into a store. Grand Cayman is still a really nice place to go but the two Mexican stops ruin it. I wish they would get rid of Mexico (both stops) altogether and just go to Grand Cayman, Castaway Cay of course and a day in Belize. We loved Belize when we were there last year on Celebrity. So I think we'll be sticking with Eastern Caribbean on Disney. Pretty much everybody I talked to on the cruise said Cozumel has really changed and they were in no hurry to ever come back and said Costa Mayo was worthless as a stop.

Food and service was excellent on the Fantasy as usual!!!!

The holiday decorations were fantastic ... understated but soooo beautiful!

Bobship.jpg

treeship.jpg

TeenaHouse.jpg

ccTeenaTree1.jpg

Donald.jpg

BobMickey.jpg

Bruce.jpg

This bar server during one of the shows is dressed for cool weather. They are forecasting a cold spell at sea the next day- 87 degrees

barserver.jpg

Artist Palette

artist.jpg

artist2.jpg

Tender to Grand Cayman:

caytender.jpg

Castaway Cay:

BobTree.jpg

cclunch.jpg

Bye Bye, Castaway! Until next time...

ccbye.jpg

Great Pics Teena! Sorry to hear about Cozumel. I was there many years ago on a Princess Cruise, and really enjoyed Cozumel. Too bad it's changed. And I walked around alone, while my mom was at the ruins. Wasn't a problem back then. Maybe 20 yrs ago?

It is hot hot hot! High 70's

We are from the northwest and that's August summer... We are dying. And I am frustrated by the lack of a/c.

Disney LAND is our home park and every building feels so cool and refreshing. Here some of the buildings are hotter than outside.

But there are people with Christmas sweaters.

We brought sweatshirts but haven't even bothered to being them with us even at night.

We are from the NW too and love temps in the 70's :beach: Can't wait for our January trip!

Lovely pictures Teena! Sorry the Ports weren't better but it sounds like you had a great cruise anyway!

Amanda

So if you stay at beach club how do you do Epcot? All in one day? Pop over a couple times during your stay? Both trips here now it's overwhwing and that's even with skipping tons of stuff...

So if you stay at beach club how do you do Epcot? All in one day? Pop over a couple times during your stay? Both trips here now it's overwhwing and that's even with skipping tons of stuff...

We usually do one early morning rope drop and one late evening. Then throw in a couple quick trips for mid day CS meals. We have left DHS and went over to EPCOT just for lunch,

We usually do at least one full day and then eat many, if not all, of our dinners in Epcot.

Amanda

Remember, WDW parks have been around for many years and they aren't closing in the foreseeable future. Before a trip we all sit down after going to the WDW parks site and checking out the attractions. Next we develop a list of what each person in the family wants to see. We separate it out by park. We use that as our touring plan so that each person is happy and they get to do what they wanted the most. There is always overlap with more than one person wanting to do the same thing so it's mostly a win win for everybody. Anything we don't get to do we make a priority for the next trip. I tell the kids that if something is closed when we go that it will be open for the next trip.

Try to relax and not stress out. I know it's a lot of money to get to the parks and there is no way you can do it all. Just pick your priorities and take it easy and enjoy!

Good luck!
~NM

So if you stay at beach club how do you do Epcot? All in one day? Pop over a couple times during your stay? Both trips here now it's overwhelming and that's even with skipping tons of stuff...
We usually do Epcot in the late afternoon after a nice afternoon napping or swimming. Future World usually has very short lines in late afternoon and evening. It is a good place for dinner, too.

We also go to Epcot after spending the morning at MK. We take the monorail from MK and walk through Epcot's World Showcase on the way back to the BC.

The nicest part of staying at the BC is being able to go into Epcot often.

Hi, all!! We are here! I can't believe that we got in at 11am and managed to do TWO parks today! *thud* Considering I only got three hours sleep last night, you can imagine how exhausted I am. My boys, on the other hand, would still be at MK if I'd let them. ;)

We checked in around 12:30 and our experience was wonderful. :lovestruc We were greeted at the entrance and whisked right up to the 5th floor, where Robin took great care of us. Our room is awesome!! I'm pretty positive we were upgraded, because I reserved Garden View, but we have a wonderful view of the lake and the Boardwalk across the way, and we can see parts of SAB, too. Love it!! Plus, we have a room with I believe is a daybed. this THRILLED my boys, who are ecstatic to not have to share a bed. ;) I wish I could get pictures up, but my mind is mush right now. I'll try tomorrow.

The bottom line is we LOVE our room! It feels so nice and roomy...not cramped at all. The offerings for evening club level appetizers, etc. were delicious as well. Everything has just been top notch. We even had Pixie Dust when we went to Epcot at 2pm: as we were walking up to have our cards scanned at the International Gateway, a stranger walked up to me and said, "Excuse me. We have four fast passes for Soarin' with a return from 2-3pm. Would you like them?" Well golly, yes, thank you! ;) We even had time for a quick snack in Mexico and then made it to the ride with 10 minutes to spare. It was the first time riding for any of us!

Ok, I'm done for the night, folks. I'll try to be more perky tomorrow, with pictures. We just got back to room so I'm going to hit the sack. It amazes me how coming back to the YC from MK tonight really did feel like "coming home." :)

Steph H said:
Hi, all!! We are here! I can't believe that we got in at 11am and managed to do TWO parks today! *thud* Considering I only got three hours sleep last night, you can imagine how exhausted I am. My boys, on the other hand, would still be at MK if I'd let them. ;)

We checked in around 12:30 and our experience was wonderful. :lovestruc We were greeted at the entrance and whisked right up to the 5th floor, where Robin took great care of us. Our room is awesome!! I'm pretty positive we were upgraded, because I reserved Garden View, but we have a wonderful view of the lake and the Boardwalk across the way, and we can see parts of SAB, too. Love it!! Plus, we have a room with I believe is a daybed. this THRILLED my boys, who are ecstatic to not have to share a bed. ;) I wish I could get pictures up, but my mind is mush right now. I'll try tomorrow.

The bottom line is we LOVE our room! It feels so nice and roomy...not cramped at all. The offerings for evening club level appetizers, etc. were delicious as well. Everything has just been top notch. We even had Pixie Dust when we went to Epcot at 2pm: as we were walking up to have our cards scanned at the International Gateway, a stranger walked up to me and said, "Excuse me. We have four fast passes for Soarin' with a return from 2-3pm. Would you like them?" Well golly, yes, thank you! ;) We even had time for a quick snack in Mexico and then made it to the ride with 10 minutes to spare. It was the first time riding for any of us!

Ok, I'm done for the night, folks. I'll try to be more perky tomorrow, with pictures. We just got back to room so I'm going to hit the sack. It amazes me how coming back to the YC from MK tonight really did feel like "coming home." :)

Wow! Thanks for posting. I love reading "I'm there now" reports. Receiving those Soarin' FP's is Disney Magic at its best!

Get a good night's sleep tonight! Can't wait to read your next live report!

Since we live in Seattle it is more once or twice in a lifetime for us. But we knew this 6 day trip would be like a marathon since the two end days were mostly travel.

But here's the thing - you can do it all in Disneyland. There are more attractions in DCA and Disneyland than all of WDW put together. You can park hop the best of in one day or do everything, with your favorites multiple times in 3 days without sweating it. We aren't total commando ... We change plans, even start out late sometimes but we average 18-24 attractions on an average day including special meals and characters. 5 days you can be lazy, go to the beach for an afternoon etc.

Our first trip to WDW we were here a week and DS was 2 1/2. We went swimming two days in the afternoon. We didn't baby swap because we were concentrating on his experience, but sid on major rides or ones we didn't have in Disneyland and were pretty overwhelmed as we just couldn't fit it all in.

So this time I was hoping The Beach Clun being close to two parks would give is more of that California Grand feeling... The hotel is cute rooms are clean pool great... But the beach club itself, nothing special. No special merchandise, crowded lobby... Our housekeeping service is lacking. And our fist night in it was a fiasco to eat dinner. Who knew eating at your resort would be such a pain... But that's another story that I won't get into.

We did upgrade our annual passes to premiere passes to both parks and were taking about coming back in February. But after today I am wondering if California, although we have been on extended stays twice this year would be more fun, relaxing and feel like a Vacation. I am just beat.... And feel like every day is a marathon even though we didn't make rope drop.

Today we did
Epcot: (16 Attractions)
1. 10am: get FP to soaring; ride Mission: Space
2. Spaceship Earth
3. Sum of all thrlls
4. Photo pass family photo in front of the gold ball
5. Character pictures (mickey, Minnie)
6. Seas with Nemo and Friends
7. Soarin
8. The land
9. Friendship Boat to morocco
10. 2:30) Teppan Edo
11. 5pm: Candlelight Processional
12. Skipped 45 min Santa Line looked at some America stuff
13. China (watched circle movie)
14. Germany (no hummels!!!)
15. Norway (Maelstrom + movie)
16. Mexico (gran fiesta ride)
17. 8:30 Preferred Seating Illuminations

Would you consider this a big day, or a small day? Dh felt like we missed 1/2 the park... And we did.

The day did end on a good note. When we arrived at our room there was a surprise set up for Glen and Sylvia ... We are not glen and Sylvia... But enjoyed their cheese and fruit platter after calling room service to inform them about the error and being told to enjoy the goodies...I hope they are having a wonderful anniversary!

So this time I was hoping The Beach Clun being close to two parks would give is more of that California Grand feeling... The hotel is cute rooms are clean pool great... But nothing special.... Our housekeeping service is lacking. A d our fist night in it was a fiasco to eat dinner. Who knew eating at your resort would be such a pain... But that's another story that I won't get into.

I know you are on vacation and you don't want to have to deal with it, but if you can, call housekeeping and ask to speak with a manager. Tell them about your concerns. They need to know if something isn't up to snuff or there are shortcomings with the service. it's the best way to get it corrected for the rest of your trip. It sounds like somebody needs more training or they are not being enabled to do a good job.

I am just beat.... And feel like every day is a marathon even though we didn't make rope drop.

Today we did
2. Spaceship Earth
3. Sum of all thrlls
7. Soarin
8. The land

Would you consider this a big day, or a small day? Dh felt like we missed 1/2 the park... And we did.

HOLY COW that's a LOT! You did great :thumbsup2 I have never been to California's Disneyland so I can't compare but Epcot is a thing onto itself with all of the many things you can do. IMO Epcot is deceptively large and the walking to get from here to there takes a toll. Trust me, you did really well.

But. When we arrived at our room there was a surprise set up for Glen and Sylvia ... We are not glen and Sylvia... But enjoyed their cheese and fruit platter after calling room service to inform them about the error and being told to enjoy the goodies...I hope they are having a wonderful anniversary!

This is just hysterical! If it were me, I'd put a note near the elevator thanking them for the cheese... pirate:;)

With all the touring you are doing it sounds like you are going to need that cheese. I hope you find your groove and feel more comfortable with the difference between California and Florida WDW. Thanks for the report and have a great trip! :thumbsup2

~NM

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2656310

Above is a link to a basic trip to California report if you are interested. These are basic lists and don't always include small special character sightings interactions. Treats, or atmosphere soaking sessions like catching a bit of a show or parade or something.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2553608

Oh wait this is more typical...

So you feel like that would be a satisfying day at Epcot staying at the beach club? We felt like there was no time to leave the park. It's really a two day thing to do it all.. So most people just skip lots of stuff at the front?

housekeeping - no toiletry refills, nothing terribly wrong... its just lacking for us. I guess We are just used to such excellent service at The Grand Californian. And they seem to bang up the room a lot.. each day we find trinkets of odd thinngs. like today a drawer pull from the little rolling table lnocked off and in the middle of the main walk way of the room. They did send balloons up to the room with a card for DH's 40th bday. Oh and there are no chocolate coins do they lot do a turn down service here? At the grand they leave cute character chocolate coins my son loves. I let him eat them up without asking... But he often saves them.

Oh and do they not have stationary?

So you feel like that would be a satisfying day at Epcot staying at the beach club? We felt like there was no time to leave the park. It's really a two day thing to do it all.. So most people just skip lots of stuff at the front?

housekeeping - no toiletry refills, nothing terribly wrong... its just lacking for us. I guess We are just used to such excellent service at The Grand Californian. And they seem to bang up the room a lot.. each day we find trinkets of odd thinngs. like today a drawer pull from the little rolling table lnocked off and in the middle of the main walk way of the room. They did send balloons up to the room with a card for DH's 40th bday. Oh and there are no chocolate coins do they lot do a turn down service here? At the grand they leave cute character chocolate coins my son loves. I let him eat them up without asking... But he often saves them.

Oh and do they not have stationary?

Wow, you really did have a full day at EPCOT!

This is my husband's and my favorite park, and we never spend as much time as we would like to there since there is so much to do! IMHO, 2 days is not too much to spend there, but we tend to do one rope-drop morning, and then visits here and there throughout the trip- after dinner, taking the monorail back from MK and hitting a few attractions, taking the Friendship boat from HS to EP to grab some lunch in the World Showcase. Staying at the Beach Club is what really makes these short visits to EP easy.

Do you have hoppers?

Trying to do it ALL, at EPCOT and in all of Disneyworld is simply impossible. We have been on 10 trips to the World, and we haven't seen or done everything we want to on any of those trips. I think that is one of the ways the mouse gets us to keep coming back!

Try not to stress about what you might be missing and enjoy what you are doing. You may not get a chance to do it all, but figure out what would make your family the most happy and concentrate on that.

As far as housekeeping goes- you definitely should reach out and have a chat with a manager. Turndown is automatic for guest on club level, but I believe it will be provided for any room free of charge upon request. Robyn, if you see this can you confirm???

You also should mention the issues you have been having, ask if they have the hair products that you prefer (they may not) and ask about the stationary- we had some in the desk during our trip in 2010. If not in the room, maybe they have some at the front desk.

I hope the rest of your stay is more magical than the beginning has been.

Dee

Since we live in Seattle it is more once or twice in a lifetime for us. But we knew this 6 day trip would be like a marathon since the two end days were mostly travel.

But here's the thing - you can do it all in Disneyland. There are more attractions in DCA and Disneyland than all of WDW put together. You can park hop the best of in one day or do everything, with your favorites multiple times in 3 days without sweating it. We aren't total commando ... We change plans, even start out late sometimes but we average 18-24 attractions on an average day including special meals and characters. 5 days you can be lazy, go to the beach for an afternoon etc.

Our first trip to WDW we were here a week and DS was 2 1/2. We went swimming two days in the afternoon. We didn't baby swap because we were concentrating on his experience, but sid on major rides or ones we didn't have in Disneyland and were pretty overwhelmed as we just couldn't fit it all in.

So this time I was hoping The Beach Clun being close to two parks would give is more of that California Grand feeling... The hotel is cute rooms are clean pool great... But the beach club itself, nothing special. No special merchandise, crowded lobby... Our housekeeping service is lacking. And our fist night in it was a fiasco to eat dinner. Who knew eating at your resort would be such a pain... But that's another story that I won't get into.

We did upgrade our annual passes to premiere passes to both parks and were taking about coming back in February. But after today I am wondering if California, although we have been on extended stays twice this year would be more fun, relaxing and feel like a Vacation. I am just beat.... And feel like every day is a marathon even though we didn't make rope drop.

Today we did
2. Spaceship Earth
3. Sum of all thrlls
7. Soarin
8. The land

The day did end on a good note. When we arrived at our room there was a surprise set up for Glen and Sylvia ... We are not glen and Sylvia... But enjoyed their cheese and fruit platter after calling room service to inform them about the error and being told to enjoy the goodies...I hope they are having a wonderful anniversary!

You can't compare WDW to DL. After one day at DL, I want to come home. So cramped all together. It's very difficult for DL people to understand and get use to WDW. We always tell people it takes at least 2 days to do everything at Epcot leisurely. And to enjoy everything at all the other parks, at least a day each. And then if the weather is permitting you want to enjoy SAB and the water parks. Then there is Downtown Disney ... so much more to do and see than California's DD. Remember, you will walk about 10 miles every day at WDW. Everything is sooooo spread out. You don't get that congested feeling like you do at DL.

Please let a housekeeping manager know you wish to speak with them and tell them about the room issues ... things falling apart and no refill on shampoo and of course ask for turn down service if you want it. It is automatic when you book a club level room.

As far as eating at the Y&B, they have some of the most popular restaurants at WDW and therefore you need reservations. In fact, eating anywhere except quick service at WDW requires reservations unless you do not care about eating real early or real late. When I was in DL in October, I was so disappointed. They just don't have loads of nice sit down restaurants like they do at WDW. I wanted to make advance reservations at a nice restaurant for our party and the choices were horrible. Here there are at least 30 sit down restaurants to choose from.

Comparing DL to WDW is hard to do. They are very very very different!!

Steph! So glad to hear your first day was spectacular and that you love your room! Yeah for riding Soarin' on that first visit to EP! Bonus.

Look forward to hearing more if you have time to post. If not, then when you get back.

:goodvibes

Here is some photographic evidence of the Soarin' ride. StephH and family will be hosting Flat Ben for the next week:

Soarin.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter