2010 Free Dining Discussion-Free Dining released for everyone (see 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes1
Woo Hoo ..... we're booked too!

ok.....i waited out the FD which felt like an eternity:surfweb: now i need to be patient until sept 18..................wow:cloud9:
we need a fun exciting thread to help those of us with these problems pass the time away......
what is everyones best disney experience?:dance3:

:rolleyes1

ok.....i waited out the FD which felt like an eternity:surfweb: now i need to be patient until sept 18..................wow:cloud9:
we need a fun exciting thread to help those of us with these problems pass the time away......
what is everyones best disney experience?:dance3:

Great question! Mine was a few years ago. I was celebrating my birthday in the Magic Kingdom, and it was an EMH night. I had a great night, dinner in the castle and lots of folks telling me Happy Birthday. It was already the best birthday, but then it got even better. The CM on Thunder Mountain let me ride twice in a row because it was my BD! But the best part was when we were leaving the park, we had just got to the corner of Main Street after leaving Adventure Land and Mickey and Goofy were there. Not much of a line, so I hopped in. I had never had my photo taken with Mickey and was looking forward to it. When it was my turn I walked up and Mickey & Goofy both pointed to my birthday button. The CM with them asked if it was really my birthday, when I told her yes she started yelling for everyone to come up because it was my birthday. Once she got a crowd she had them all sing "Happy Birthday" to me. It was so cool! I got kisses from Mickey and Goofy and left, feeling like my feet never touched he ground. It's by far my best Disney experience, ever, ever. Although I am hoping for some new ones when I take my much loved 3 year old grandson for his first trip this September!

Terri

Great question! Mine was a few years ago. I was celebrating my birthday in the Magic Kingdom, and it was an EMH night. I had a great night, dinner in the castle and lots of folks telling me Happy Birthday. It was already the best birthday, but then it got even better. The CM on Thunder Mountain let me ride twice in a row because it was my BD! But the best part was when we were leaving the park, we had just got to the corner of Main Street after leaving Adventure Land and Mickey and Goofy were there. Not much of a line, so I hopped in. I had never had my photo taken with Mickey and was looking forward to it. When it was my turn I walked up and Mickey & Goofy both pointed to my birthday button. The CM with them asked if it was really my birthday, when I told her yes she started yelling for everyone to come up because it was my birthday. Once she got a crowd she had them all sing "Happy Birthday" to me. It was so cool! I got kisses from Mickey and Goofy and left, feeling like my feet never touched he ground. It's by far my best Disney experience, ever, ever. Although I am hoping for some new ones when I take my much loved 3 year old grandson for his first trip this September!

Terri

I must be PMS'ing...your story made me tear up!! :love: I'm so glad your experience was so wonderful & I know you will make some amazing memories with your 3y/o grandson! :)

I made my changes via the telephone yesterday since I had to cancel my previous reservation and then upgrade from QS to TS. I did not get a confirmation via email and when I went to check this morning on-line I found the price was ~$220 more than it should have been. It was double the upgrade from QS to TS. Had to call again and it was corrected (took only 3 minutes to connect). However, as I was checking I noticed there was still room everywhere. Makes me wonder why I panicked like I did :confused3

How do you know what rooms are available? How do you check this?

If you check in the 14th you are not eligible. The promotion period begins on the 15th.

If you can change your dates or do a split stay (which would not be easy since you have to buy tickets with the SECOND stay to get free dining, so you'd either have to buy a one-day ticket or go without tickets on the 14th) then how much you save will depend on the type of resort you have booked.

If you are at a value resort (Pop Century or the All Stars) you will receive the quick service plan free, not the regular plan, so you would still have to pay the difference between the regular and the quick service plans (an extra $10 per night for the adults and $2 per night for the children). If you are at a moderate or deluxe resort, you would pay rack rate for the room, plus the tickets. You can subtract the cost of the basic dining plan.

Use the online booking, run the regular, nondiscounted cost of your room plus tickets (remember you'd have to check in on the 15th) and that should be what you would pay for room, tickets and free regular dining plan at a deluxe or moderate. For a value resort, take the same amount and add $10 per night for each adult and $2 per night for each child if you want the regular dining plan.

Just want to thank everyone for the input....we changed our reservation to check in the 15th and got the free dining plan...The people on the phone at Disney were great...no hassle at all.

I completely apologize if someone has already answered this question. I don't have time right now to read through all of the posts, but will try to tomorrow.

Does anyone know if you book through a third-party (like Expedia, Travelocity, etc) are you able to get Free Dining through Disney if you meet the other requirements?

I'm trying to get the info for someone in my family, not for myself, so I don't know all of their info. I do know that they need 2 days of park tickets with hoppers, are staying for 7 nights/8 days, and are staying at a Deluxe Disney resort. Any info is appreciated!

This morning we still had $752.70 left to pay on our trip....

Sometime, while I slept (worked 3rd shift and tried to stay up but couldn't keep my eyes open any longer)... my TA got us booked on Freeeee Dining.

Now we owe $368.82... saving a total of $383.88.. we owe less than we saved.... how cool is that?

However, if we had been able to get reg. DDP for values, we would have saved over $500.... I am just glad to save what we did....

YIPPPEEE!!!
So, happy for you M!! Guess, what? I do not know. But, I just decided. I was going to book. So, I did, and got up enough nerve to tell the hubby. Hey, I am going. To bad. Lose the attitude. and forgetaboutit, he is a sourpuss. But, I digress. So, me, and Xavier, are heading back to POP August 24-Sept 1st.:dance3:
We also, upgraded to regular dining. :woohoo: I really wanted to go back to Coronado Springs again. But, it was 600 more. Another time. At least I am going. :laughing::laughing: Whoop Whoop~

YIPPPEEE!!!
So, happy for you M!! Guess, what? I do not know. But, I just decided. I was going to book. So, I did, and got up enough nerve to tell the hubby. Hey, I am going. To bad. Lose the attitude. and forgetaboutit, he is a sourpuss. But, I digress. So, me, and Xavier, are heading back to POP August 24-Sept 1st.:dance3:
We also, upgraded to regular dining. :woohoo: I really wanted to go back to Coronado Springs again. But, it was 600 more. Another time. At least I am going. :laughing::laughing: Whoop Whoop~

I am sooo glad you get to go... too bad you won't be there the same time as us again.

I've already booked at SSR by renting points from a DVC member. I called DVC and I was told that if you used DVC points to book that you aren't eligible for free dining. This hardly sounds fair. Anyone know of a way around this other than canceling my booking, begging for my money back from the DVC member, and rebooking without points (btw, I looked this up and this would not end up saving me very much at all as the room is much more expensive booking directly).

I completely apologize if someone has already answered this question. I don't have time right now to read through all of the posts, but will try to tomorrow.

Does anyone know if you book through a third-party (like Expedia, Travelocity, etc) are you able to get Free Dining through Disney if you meet the other requirements?

I'm trying to get the info for someone in my family, not for myself, so I don't know all of their info. I do know that they need 2 days of park tickets with hoppers, are staying for 7 nights/8 days, and are staying at a Deluxe Disney resort. Any info is appreciated!

I doubt you can but your best option is to have them call the travel website and ask them...but I believe that those type of websites do not do offer the dining plan(at least years ago, they may now).

I'm guessing checking out prices online.

That I did. I had to go back on line to see what the difference was to what was on my invoice and had no problem getting pop century for the nights I wanted in September - as of yesterday - not sold out.

I've already booked at SSR by renting points from a DVC member. I called DVC and I was told that if you used DVC points to book that you aren't eligible for free dining. This hardly sounds fair. Anyone know of a way around this other than canceling my booking, begging for my money back from the DVC member, and rebooking without points (btw, I looked this up and this would not end up saving me very much at all as the room is much more expensive booking directly).

Well, first off, you would have to have the DVC member you are renting points from call DVC services. They would not be able to do anything for you as they have to talk to the actual owner.

Other then that, I don't know. Hope someone else can help.

Here's the posting from Disney from "Facebook" for Free DDP in 2010

Disney World Resort

posted on May 4th, 2010 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

We’ve launched an offer you may want to zip over to some friends tonight – it’s savings for travelers to the Walt Disney World Resort that includes free dining. The details are pretty simple. If you buy a non-discounted Walt Disney Travel Co. five-night/six-day room and theme park ticket package at a Disney Moderate, Deluxe or Deluxe Villa Resort for stays most nights from August 15 to October 2, 2010 you get the Disney Dining Plan for free. So, that’s one quick-service meal, one select snack and one table-service meal at up to 100 restaurants for each night of your stay.

Buy a non-discounted Walt Disney Travel Co. five-night/six-day room and theme park ticket package at a select Disney Value Resort for stays most nights from August 15 to October 2, 2010, and you get the Disney Quick Service Dining Plan at no charge. That includes two quick-service meals and two select snacks for each night of your stay – and one Resort refillable drink mug per person.Sound good? You can book this special offer now through August 15 at disneyworld.com or by calling 407/W-DISNEY.

Friendly Disclaimer: The number of rooms allocated for this offer is limited. Tickets are for 1 theme park per day and must be used within 14 days of first use. No group rates or other discounts apply. Advance reservations required. Excludes gratuities and alcoholic beverages. Children ages 3-9 must order from the children’s menu if available. Some table-service restaurants may have limited or no availability at time of package purchase.

No way around it, DVC booked on points are not eligible for free dining. It's not unfair, as DVC members we could book a rack rate room somewhere and get the free dining, but as you pointed out, it doesn't save much. If I were you I'd keep the SSR reservation and either purchase the DDP or go without. We find when we crunch the numbers we're better off without the DDP, but you need to figure it out for your own circumstances. Good luck!

I'm afraid its true, DVC members are not eligible for the "free DDP" offers. I had that situation occur last year when I was booking for a family event last year.
:confused3

No, you can not get the free dining discount through Expedia or Travelocity. In fact, I don't even think you can get the DDP at all through those sites - unless something has changed very recently.

I do plan to keep the SSR rate. I understand that this is a promotion meant provide more incentive to book rooms that would otherwise be vacant. That said, I do feel that the practice of excluding DVC members from this benefit is unfair. I realize I'm not a DVC member as I'm only renting points, but this does slight the loyal DVC customer. I don't understand why on earth a DVC member would want to book a room without using their DVC points...

I do plan to keep the SSR rate. I understand that this is a promotion meant provide more incentive to book rooms that would otherwise be vacant. That said, I do feel that the practice of excluding DVC members from this benefit is unfair. I realize I'm not a DVC member as I'm only renting points, but this does slight the loyal DVC customer. I don't understand why on earth a DVC member would want to book a room without using their DVC points...

I kind of understand where Disney is coming from with the DVC issue....they already have their money from those folks, they aren't going to fill more rooms or make more money by offering you free food to come visit Disney....so it kind of makes sense that they don't feel the need to give DVC members incentives to vacation. They leave out the campground people too :( for the FD deal.

Ok I have a dumb question as this is my first time doing free dining. We are staying @ POP so the qsdp was free; we upgraded to regular. Do we still get the refillable mugs for free as they were a part of the free plan? We have 6 people so it would be nice not to spend 80$ on mugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter