20,000 ppl? crowd level?

I thought 70k was "normal" crowded and during Christmas week they could hit 90k... but I have no idea where I got those numbers.

That said a 90k attendance day at MK spreads guests over 20hrs, vs 11 for low season, so it's not *quite* apples to apples. We've had some really unique, empty-park experiences in the midst of Christmas week chaos (and long lines during slow season!)

Then explain to me why if the are about 50k people there on a given day it seems like you see the same people throughout the day??

I know..I must be sharing a similar plan for the day but it is still amazing to me.

There's been other threads on this topic before and the concensus is the capacity of MK is 100,000,maybe higher now with the new areas in Fantasy land.

We were there on a fairly busy Saturday in mid-December in 2011. A CM told us there had been 30K there the day before. We were there and indeed experienced a fairly light day. They also told us they were told to expect 60K that day. Don't know if it hit that but it was exponentially busier. (Friday had been an early close party day and Saturday was the final day seasonal APs could be used).

That said, capacity closure never happens that week (I believe that Saturday was 12/17) and I doubt was ever a possibility that day.

So I would just make a complete guess and say closure doesn't happen below 75K. I might even put the number higher.

Do you suppose people who really know the number love sitting around laughing at posts like mine? :)

It's funny, as I was writing my purely speculative post I pictured someone from Disney who knows the actual number reading it and giggling:rolleyes1.

I just can't ever get a good feel for numbers in the parks. In my wildest dreams I would never imagine you could fit 50,000 or more people in the MK though I'm sure you can. I don't have a feel for what that would be like. Heck.. even 20,000 makes me think "No Way!" and sounds like an impossibly crowded number.
I've been on very quiet days and very busy days and I can tell you I felt like hardly anyone was there, or I felt like I was in a sea of humanity.. but numbers? I couldn't even begin to guess.

Then explain to me why if the are about 50k people there on a given day it seems like you see the same people throughout the day??

I know..I must be sharing a similar plan for the day but it is still amazing to me.

I know!!! And it's always that loud obnoxious family who happened to ride over on the bus with you in the morning and you silently hope that will be the last you see of them and then you end up running into them all day:rotfl2:

One of my old Birnbaum WDW guide books breaks down park attendance like this:
15,000 - Exclusive
20,000 - Semi-private
30,000 - Longer lines but still comfortable
45,000 - Getting busy
55,000 - Busy
75,000 - Crowded
100,000+ - Very crowded

We've never been to WDW during Xmas and the Xmas party they have said they sell 20,000 tickets. I was wondering if that would be crowded or not and worth it.

Who is "they"?

I bet it's higher than 20,000, but I don't know for sure.

I've read many times that maximum capacity for MK is 100,000. When the first hard ticket parties started the reported maximum tickets were around 25,000, but with the popularity of MNSSHP and MVMCP they upped the ticket numbers to about 40,000.

It says on the site they sell 20,000 tickets per party night.

What site?

Are you sure that was an actual Disney site? This has been speculated on for years and I have never seen an actual figure.

After I posted I thought maybe it would be on Allears and it is.

http://www.allears.net/tp/hol_mk.htm

This sounds like a lot of fun, but is it overly crowded?
WDW limits the number of tickets sold in order to keep the crowds down and many nights do sell out in advance. It is estimated that tickets max out around 20,000. Check out the Reader Comments!

carly chloe you can see they are estimated at 20,000, maybe it was the real figure at one time but there have also been rumors that Disney has bumped this up in the past few years.

OP, the truth is that you can do a party on a sold out night, and if you just do rides, it will feel quite uncrowded. But if you get close to Main Street it will feel suffocating. So there is no consistent answer. The truth is that it depends on what you are planning to do.

After I posted I thought maybe it would be on Allears and it is.

http://www.allears.net/tp/hol_mk.htm

carly chloe you can see they are estimated at 20,000, maybe it was the real figure at one time but there have also been rumors that Disney has bumped this up in the past few years.

I agree. There have been tons of these posts over the years and CMs have commented on them, the numbers are much higher than that now.

One of my old Birnbaum WDW guide books breaks down park attendance like this:
15,000 - Exclusive
20,000 - Semi-private
30,000 - Longer lines but still comfortable
45,000 - Getting busy
55,000 - Busy
75,000 - Crowded
100,000+ - Very crowded

I'd bet that's pretty accurate.

It's interesting to read all of the posts. Some say the capacity is 50, 000, some say 75,000, and others say 100,000. There are some that say they sell 20,000 tickets for the holiday parties, some say 25,000, and some say it could go up to 40,000. What I find amusing that everyone throws out these numbers as if they are experts! Where do these numbers come from....cast members, Disney websites, message boards, or are they just guesses? Oh well, the fact that I read through all of them makes it an interesting topic and one that we may never have the correct answer!

It's interesting to read all of the posts. Some say the capacity is 50, 000, some say 75,000, and others say 100,000. There are some that say they sell 20,000 tickets for the holiday parties, some say 25,000, and some say it could go up to 40,000. What I find amusing that everyone throws out these numbers as if they are experts! Where do these numbers come from....cast members, Disney websites, message boards, or are they just guesses? Oh well, the fact that I read through all of them makes it an interesting topic and one that we may never have the correct answer!

There have been many CMs who have posted these numbers on this board over the years. One person, who used to post a lot, I believe DawgDad, had a BIL who was a Vice President in the Disney Themeparks Division, and I believe he shared the 100,000 MK capacity numbers and the 40,000 capacity number for the hard ticket parties.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!