• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2 year old at T-Rex?

arielmomma

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! I have a question about the T-Rex restaurant. My 5 year old son desperately wants to eat there when we travel to the world this summer. My daughter will be 2 1/2. We were just at WDW in January and she was afraid of the non-human characters (Pooh, Mickey, etc,), but loved the princesses. She was also afraid of any ride that got dark at any point (which is most of them!). My question is: Have any of you eaten there? I have heard that it is quite loud in there, is this true? Would the environment be too loud or too scary for a sensitive toddler? Thank you very much for your responses.

I remember going to a Rainforest Cafe with some friends of ours and their toddler was very frightened. From what I understand T-Rex is a lot like RC but with Dinosaurs. She may very well be scared.

Are you planning a BBB visit with her? Maybe daddy can bring your son to T-Rex while she is doing a princess type adventure. :)

I remember going to a Rainforest Cafe with some friends of ours and their toddler was very frightened. From what I understand T-Rex is a lot like RC but with Dinosaurs. She may very well be scared.

Are you planning a BBB visit with her? Maybe daddy can bring your son to T-Rex while she is doing a princess type adventure. :)

Dont she have to be 3 to do the BBB??? Anyhoo, Im taking my 2 yr old son there this september...but he is a boy and likes dinos. I dont know about a little girl. I know my 5 yr old DD wants to go too. I agree with the letting daddy take him and maybe you and your ds can do something special just the two of you......

I would think if she is sensitive, it may not be a good idea. Why not try to take her in and look around before you have a meal there? Then if she does not react well, maybe you can take her elsewhere when the others eat there. My granddaughter is going to be 2 next week and we are taking her later this month. She is pretty open to new things and loves dinosaurs, so we don't anticipate any problems.

Just took our 18 month old to WDW and she was TERRIFIED of the characters. Tusker House breakfast just about killed her, lol! Daisy Duck had the gall to dance around our table and TOUCH her!

But she loved the T-Rex. It isn't a thunderstorm like RC, it's a meteor shower which is mostly lights. She was fascinated and it was one of our best meals as there were no scary characters and she was entertained by all the lights.

We were just there in Dec. It was myself, my DH, DD5, DS2, brother, sister-n-law, 2 nieces 5 and 2. My son who is very sensitive was holding his ears most of the time and my niece age 2 was terrified of the t-rex when you first walk in. It does not get dark in there per say but the atmosphere is a little dark. The animals make their noises every so often which is loud and my son did not like it. It was also hard to hold a conversation with your table. With that being said the food is good.

We went in January and my 2yo (2 years, 4 mos) was pretty scared - he didn't like the dino noises and the meteor shower. Luckily we sat in the Ice Cave room and he seemed to like that, although he was still a bit frightened in the beginning. Pretty soon he realized it was not a big deal at all and did fine. It was just around the big dino near the entrance - the one that roars - that he had a real problem with. We just scooted by the dino as quickly as we could and my DS was fine.

Thank you for all of your responses. I think that we will probably wait another year to there. It just wouldn't be worth the risk of her being terrified. When Tigger walked by her in January, she went hysterical! I'm confident that my son will understand. Thanks again!

My son loves dinosaurs and he was two when we went to t-rex. He was terrified of the restaurant but we were still going to eat there. We sat in the ice-room, where there are no dinosaurs, he loved his meal and we all had a good time. From the ice-room, you can see some of the dinosaurs but they were somewhat far away and he was comfortable with that. So, you can still eat there, food was awesome, just request the ice room.

I was just a T-Rex 3 weeks ago and it was alot of fun, but it was very loud. it is similar to Rainforest cafe, just replace the apes and elephants with the dinos. The wait for a specific area of the restraunt can be lengthy as we has a reservation and waited 45 minutes past that time to get a table. Your son would have a great time, but just the noise factor may scare your little girl. My 5 year old daughter was holding her ears while we were waiting, but it was a little better once you actually seated and she could actually eat between the dinos acting up, which was fun to watch. If he likes stuffed animals they have a nice build your own dinosaur that would be a nice new friend for him.

It's so hard to know what they will and will not like at this age. My two 2-year-olds were not afraid of characters or the Rainforest Cafe, but the DinoLand play area with the roaring dinosaur reduced them to tears and screaming. We were really upset that the play area was not toddler friendly when our 2 needed to burn off some energy at AK. :mad:

Personally, I think T-Rex may be more likely to scare your child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter