• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2 stop at Castaway Cay.. first timer needing some help

Twinprincesses

DIS Veteran
We are looking into doing a Disney Cruise next year. I will have 5 year old twins then and this is the last time we can do a trip on the off seasons with them not being in school yet.

We are looking at a 4 day cruise and I noticed there was a few "specialty" ones that offer 2 stops to Castaway Cay instead of being at sea. I was talking to a travel agent and she said that some peopel like the day at sea to hang out on the boat. I was thinking though if we really like Castaway Cay the 2 stop option would be better because then we could explore the ship too if we got bored.

I need thoughts please :) also do you think 5 is a good age for my kids to go on this cruise.

Hey, Hoosier!

We're booked on a Magic 5-day cruise next September which includes 2 days at Castaway Cay. I'm good for about a half day at the beach and then get bored. When we've returned to the ship in the afternoon, we've found most passengers are still on the island and we have a lightly-populated ship on which to play!

We'll probably follow the same agenda on both of the CC days for this cruise. There's still a sea day in the itinerary: Mon - Port; Tue - CC; Wed - Nassau; Thu at sea; Fri - CC; Sat - Port.

For me, the choice would be about leaving the ship in Nassau. We did not on our 4-night Wonder cruise a couple of weeks ago. (We had only the two stops: Nassau and CC once.) With DS6, there just wasn't anything that was particularly interesting in Nassau. We preferred to stay aboard and play as if it was an "at-sea" day.

But that's a personal choice. I'd much rather do two days at CC and none at Nassau at all! :laughing:

mk

Go ahead and do it - because if you find out that you aren't that enamoured of CC, the ship is really uncrowded!!
But you'll have fun no matter what!

5 is a perfect age to take a DCL cruise. Our DD turns 5 in January - and we're on the 7 day in November because she loved it so much in March...

Seriously - you're kids will love it!

For me, the choice would be about leaving the ship in Nassau.

I agree. Two days in CC sounds like heaven to me. The two days I've spent there have been two of the best days of my life, so to go twice on one cruise would be fabulous. We don't get off the ship in Nassau. Been there, done that, not particularly impressed. (And we're people who are pretty easily impressed, to be honest.) Our stays at Castaway Cay have both been fantastic experiences, and there's plenty to do even for people who aren't beach-crazy. We spent the morning hours at the beach, and in the afternoon after lunch went for bike rides. After biking, the kids still had a couple hours left for the club activities, and DH and I went for a great kayak ride and then just lounged on our floats until the club closed for the day. Heaven on earth!!!

You also asked if 5 is a good age. I have to say, it doesn't get much better! A five year-old is old enough to have a degree of independence, to really get into the club experience, and still young enough to really feel the magic.

Hope you have a fantastic time!!!

We just returned from a four night (8/12-16). My dh liked it all well enough but when he heard they were going to do some cruises with two stops at CC rather than a stop in Nassau, he wanted to sign right up again. We didn't care for Nassau at all, but loved CC and would loved to have had the option of spending two days there.

The two stops at Castaway Cay sound great. This is what I would do - If you've never been to Nassau, I would get off the ship to go to Atlantis or some other excursion that looks interesting to you.
If you don't want to spend all day at CC both days you'll have an almost empty ship to play on. This is the perfect time to go to Mickey's pool, although when we went there in the morning (before going to CC) the slide was closed. However, it was open later in the afternoon before a lot of people got back on the ship. I LOVE CC, but I also love how the ship is practically empty when we're there. So we spend about 75% of the time on the island and 25% of the time on the ship. ITA with everyone else, 5 is a perfect age for a Disney cruise. Have a great time!

2 stops at CC is a dream for me!! On our last cruise we didn't really get to even touch the surface of all the activites available on the island. Now we can relax on the beach one day, and fill the second day with all the activities!

I am booked on the Aug 17 double dip and cannot wait - this is like paradise twice! The kids really love it as well. My son spent the morning on the island with the kids club and then in the afternoon we rode bikes. It is really beautiful.

Two days at Castaway Cay is referred to as a "douple dip." You will find that most folks who have cruised DCL would LOOOOOVE a second day at CC. It's kinda like spending time with a best friend, but having to leave early each time...

We live near beaches so we tend not to book "a day at the xxxx beach" for our excursions, but we always look forward to a day at CC. :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

We're booked for a double dip next Sept, so far so good. I hope we don't have to reschedule..

The ship will definatly be less crowded, but all kid club activities will be ashore.

Ray

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter