• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st Universal trip advice - how many days?

I think you are hooked and will do more trips after your August stay

Did you buy an AP yet?

I enjoy hearing peeps like the darkside especially the hotels
I read about people upgrading to AP's all the time but I am sorely uneducated on how they work and the cost of upgrading! Is there an informational thread somewhere on that?

You really can't go wrong with either option. I'd go for whichever has the best deal... and sometimes, believe it or not, that actually can be PBH!
You were right! Portofino had the best rates, so I went with it! Just a regular room. It is the furthest of the 3 hotels I was considering, but do you think it is still easy to get back and forth? I think I am overthinking this because Disney buses have such long waits, and I loved the idea of walking:)
the place looks beautiful! I can't wait!!

You were right! Portofino had the best rates, so I went with it! Just a regular room. It is the furthest of the 3 hotels I was considering, but do you think it is still easy to get back and forth? I think I am overthinking this because Disney buses have such long waits, and I loved the idea of walking:)
the place looks beautiful! I can't wait!!

Yes PBH is the furthest walk but it's still very walkable.

Depending on your speed you can do it in 15 minutes max.......maybe a bit longer if you are hot........we took it very slowly one day and it took us about 15-20 minutes.

And you have the boats too, they are very regular and usually welcome at the end of the day for us if there's one waiting.

This THANK YOU note is sorely overdue. Our trip was amazing, we LOVED Universal! we have been back 3 times since buying our annual passes - I am completely addicted!Can't thank you all enough for all the great advice planning our first Universal vacation! Everyone should visit the "darkside"!! :)

glad you returned here to share about your addiction.......

now you are as knowledgable as the rest of us so feel free to jump in and help the newbies with us!

This THANK YOU note is sorely overdue. Our trip was amazing, we LOVED Universal! we have been back 3 times since buying our annual passes - I am completely addicted!Can't thank you all enough for all the great advice planning our first Universal vacation! Everyone should visit the "darkside"!! :)

Fabulous to hear!!

So glad you had such a good time and have been back so often.........the darkside is an amazing place........:D

Loving this thread! We have our first Dark Side trip over Thanksgiving week. Staying 4 nights PBH after 5 days at Disney. A little worried we will be tired on the walk, but we love Italy and this is the closest we will get until DD's are grown! We've stayed at Disneyland hotel and did not mind that walk to the DL parks (didn't use monorail), so think we will be ok. It will be nice to have the water taxi option.

Loving this thread! We have our first Dark Side trip over Thanksgiving week. Staying 4 nights PBH after 5 days at Disney. A little worried we will be tired on the walk, but we love Italy and this is the closest we will get until DD's are grown! We've stayed at Disneyland hotel and did not mind that walk to the DL parks (didn't use monorail), so think we will be ok. It will be nice to have the water taxi option.

It is described as the furthest away of the 3 deluxe hotels to walk, but it isn't bad at all and is a beautiful walk.

Never feels long at all to walk. And yes, the water taxi is always there.......just in case.....:D

Just curious but which hotels have you stayed at now?
Do you have a preference?

I didn't even consider Hard Rock because we have kids (12 and 9) and didn't think it would be great for them, but maybe I am wrong? the locations seems amazing!
We loved the HRH. Stayed there because of a last minute change. Changing hotels took five hundred dollars off our three night hotel bill! Could not resist that deal. We had planned RPR but we were thrilled with HRH. I say book whichever is cheapest and then keep watching rates. You will be happy no matter where you stay.

The times I stayed at hrh, loved it

Boys were 7-8-9 when first stayed there
They enjoyed the hotel very much and appreciated it more when teens

Just curious but which hotels have you stayed at now?
Do you have a preference?
We stayed at the Portofino in September and HRH in December. It is really a toss up for me, both were so wonderful. You can't beat the short walk from HRH, but we loved the grounds and pool at Portofino so much. Plus the decor there was so beautiful. But, I can't say a bad thing about the HRH. The day we got there, we were walking through the lobby and The Guess Who were playing in the lobby!! WHAT???? We also rented (for free) and electric guitar to the room - awesome! plus, I like the little touches like the ice maker saying "ICE ICE BABY" - so fun.

I think I may have to say the Portofino just because the beds are more comfortable and the grounds were breathtaking.
But, the split bathroom in the HRH was much better for families.
I didn't answer the question I don't think :) I loved them both so much!

No one can go wrong with any of the three deluxe hotels

There will always be one that tugs at your heart more

and then you make it your home away from home

No one can go wrong with any of the three deluxe hotels

There will always be one that tugs at your heart more

and then you make it your home away from home
I am pricing RPH right now. I think I have to try them all, just to be fair, right? :)

oh! one more thing. HRH had a mini-fridge, Portofino did not. this was a big deal to me because we love to eat our leftovers!
does RPH offer a mini-fridge?

oh! one more thing. HRH had a mini-fridge, Portofino did not. this was a big deal to me because we love to eat our leftovers!
does RPH offer a mini-fridge?

Yes, Royal Pacific does have a mini fridge.

There's a picture of the empty fridge in the first post of the RPR sticky..........

We are constantly adding and updating the stickies

Many peeps read it once but we do add to different sections of it at times

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter