1st trip with triplets- 2 have special needs

triplefigs

<marquee><font color=009933>Triple Chick</marquee>
2 of my trio have CP (low tone) so they can walk, but have poor balance/coordination and tire easily. We will definitely have to use a stroller in the parks as they would never make it very long.

DS also has occasional meltdowns (crying) and can't handle lots of constant stimulation. TIPS?

DS has numerous medical issues which require daily meds/shots.
What documentation do I need for flying with his meds, especially the syringes? We haven't flown since 9/11 and I don't know what to prepare for. I did confirm we'll have a refrigertor in both rooms to keep his medicines cold.

Also, we booked our trip through AAA. We have 2 rooms, and they are supposedly in the North Wing/Woods View of WL (they said that was the quiet side). We are not doing wheelchair accessible rooms, but I do need connecting and the less walking required the better. Should I call the WL directly or the CRO/Special Booking myself? I really would like the closest rooms that aren't very noisy (not asking much-LOL!) Or do I get AAA to do it (I'd personally feel better talking to them myself).

We will get the GAC for both of them. Their Neuro told us yesterday she'd fill out all the paperwork for us. Do you get it ahead of time or at the parks?

Any other tips/advice on what to plan for would be greatly appreciated.

Triplefigs
Mom to BBG triplets- the loves of my life and my miracles!!!
DS with CP, SID, Hypothyroidism, GHD, ADD, Fundo, GERD, Hypoglycemia, PVL, RAD, OCD
DD with CP, SID, RAD
DD with RAD, Asthma

First of all, welcome to disABILITIES. Most of us are willing to give answers to all questions when possible.

I travel fairly often by air and have never had any problems with medications. I keep all by diabetes supplies (syringes, alcohol pads, etc.) together. I put all my pills in sandwich bags with a separate pack for each morning and each evening, so there are no labels on any of the medications. However, I do carry a card in my wallet (updated whenever there is a change) that has my name, insurance number, and types and doseages of all my medications.

Even though you have booked through a travel agent, you should still call Special (Medical) Reservations directly at 407-939-7807 and explain your needs. They can make changes to any reservation and have the items as "medically necessary" and therefore required instead of just requested.

As far as the GAC is concerned there afre two parts to the answer.

You do not have to have a doctor's note to get a GAC, but having one does not hurt. However, the note should explain (in non-medical terminology) the needs and not the diagnoses. One need item that will never be accepted is "head of line access".

To get the GAC you have to go to Guest Services in the first park you enter and have the person (or people) with the needs with you. The GAC will be good for all four parks for the length of your stay. You want to make sure that the GAC for the girls includes ability to use the stroller as a wheelchair so it can be allowed in queues.

Also, if you need to store or inject medicines while in the parks this can be done at the First Aid in each park (which are staffed by RNs).

Hope this handles most of your quesitons.

I am going to print your response and keep it with me. And especially for the tip about the meds in the parks. Do I need a doctors note or the original bottle to leave it with them?

Triplefigs

You can try calling the Special Reservations number, but they may tell you that you need to deal with the AAA office since that is the travel agent making the reservation. (Travel Agent reservations work a little differently than if you had called directly to Disney yourself to arrange the same reservation. I know for general requests, they have to all go thru the travel agent.) If that's the case, give your agent at AAA the Special Reservations number to call on your behalf.
We have never left medication in the First Aid, but I know from what other people have posted that the medication should be in the original bottles. The staff will put it in a paper bag, labeled with your child's name, the date and then the bag is shut. You don't need a doctor's note to do that.

You can request a sharps container to dispose of the used syringes in your room. Just call Housekeeping and they will bring one for you.

For travel with medications, here is a link to the Transporation Security Administration site's page about travel with meidcations.
If the link doesn't work (they seem to change their pages around a lot), just go to www.tsa.gov and search for "Medications". The airline won't require anything more stingent than the TSA does. Basically, if the medications are in the original containers, no one will hassle you.

Here is a website that has lots of good hints on dealing with kids who are sensitive to noises, etc: www.pixiedustinn.com

I didn't see when you are going, but if it is in Feb, chances are the parks will be fairly quiet and you will have fairly short waits for attractions. Also, the earlier you can get to the park, the less people there will be. The peak park "busy-ness" tends to be from 10:30 or so until just after the afternoon parade. Even going in July (which is very busy), on a grownups only trip, my DH and I were able to go on everything in Fantasyland with less than a 15 min wait (some things more than once). We were pretty much done with eveything we wanted to see by 11am without using Fastpass or doing a much backtracking. Some things that are quite busy at one time of the day will be much less busy either very early or very late in the day.

I appreciate all the help and advice!

Triplefigs

Welcome to the DIS boards and especially the disABILITIES group! My wife and I also have triplets (2 boys and 1 girl), and our 2 sons also have CP. I don't get to post here much, because I've been doing my residency in orthopedic surgery,and now my fellowship in pediatric ortho. However, I usually drop by most days to see what these wondeful people on this board have to say. Being the parent of 2 special needs kids, I have had some of my most uplifting encouragement by reading this board.

We have taken our trio to WDW 5x now (last one a surprise 3day trip the week before Christmas), and have another trip planned in April. I know that Sue and everyone has filled you in on the details about travel and the GAC. I just wanted to encourage you that you are going to have a GREAT time! We have always found most CMs very attentive to our needs, and very accomodating. Although you don't get to go to the "front of the line" like so many think you will get to, the GAC and FPs really make things quite do-able, with just a little planning.

Finally, we have had some of the most magical experiences, with CM's (especially characters) spending that little extra magical moment with our kids. It doesn't happen all the time, but extra attention during the parade, or at a character breakfast, or even Aladdin sending us "a Genie's lamp to our hotel room" (he actually did that!), we have always said that WDW was the best vacation spot for kids with special needs.

Have a great trip!
Wade

I too have bbg that are 4.5 years. Being an Orhto (I'm a Pediatric nurse) you'll understand these issues! Both of mine have hypotonic CP especially in the trunk, back, shoulders,and arms. My DD has lots of balance/coordination issues. They tend to tire easily after walking, but they are very mobile. My DD also fractured the growth plate in her ankle a year ago and developed RSD in that ankle afterwards. The bone scan definitely showed RSD, so she's on Neurontin, doing the TENS, and extra PT.

I'm glad that WDW is so wonderful to these kids. They are so excited to go see all of their favorite characters. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Glad to meet another triplet family too!

Denise
Mom to 3 wonderful miracles!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter