1st trip to Universal, 1 day at Epcot. Stay at POP or Portofino for the one night?

AngieInOH

DIS Veteran
1st ever trip to Universal, Wahoo so excited! Staying at Portofino Bay Saturday Feb 18-23. My husband wants to fly in late Friday and go to Epcot on Saturday. Sooo, do we get a room at POP Friday night and then transfer to Portofino Saturday night after Epcot or do we stay at Portofino Friday night and Lyft to Epcot Saturday morning? The rates between POP and Portofino are comparable so that's not a factor.

Pros POP, Con Portofino:
  • 7 AM chance to get a Lightening Pass for Gardians.
  • 1/2 hr early entry
  • Skyliner to Epcot
Cons POP, Pro Portofino:
  • We'll have to get all our luggage together Sat morning and store at POP (it will make for an extra early get up)
  • Have to transfer to Portofino late Saturday night

Opinions are appreciated!!

I think I'd stay at Pop, get the Disney benefits for your day at Epcot and then switch to Portofino. A split stay is easiest when you haven't really unpacked yet. This is what I'd do, jmho, to make things easy Saturday morning. If it doesn't cost extra to bring carry on bags, I'd pack 2 with your Sat morning clothes and supplies, some cheap Dollar store toothbrushes to toss in the morning and hairbrushes, etc. It minimizes the amount of digging you need to do in your main suitcases so they sit by the door. It sounds like you'll just sleep and check out so bring your bags to bell services in the am and enjoy the day at Epcot, then make the switch, and settle in at Portofino.

The only possible hiccup is if your flight is delayed due to weather which can happen any time of year but generally higher odds in February.

Again, this is jmho. I am one who doesn't feel settled until I completely unpack, clothes on hangers, etc and luggage stored away. We all have our own little routines. ;)

Did you find some crazy discount for Portofino Bay or is Pop insanely expensive next Feb? The lowest price I found for PBR was over $600 a night. I can't imagine Pop being that expensive under any circumstances but maybe I'm wrong?

So my husband just calls and says "I've been thinking about it and I'd rather stay at Portofino so we don't have to transfer from POP. Even if it means we have to wait in line 2 hrs for Guardians."

I wonder if he's willing to wait 3 hrs.:rotfl2:

Decisions.🤔

Well, right now it’s VR or you hope to buy a ILL, which will likely be gone before offsite guests can purchase at park opening.

It may settle down, just as Remy did by February 2023.

Good luck

Right you are! I forgot how all that worked. Thanks for mentioning it.

It’s not going to settle down …maybe when Tron opens…
I have been to3 previews on this new attraction and would go over & over .It’s is an awesome mix of cosmic rewind fun !
If you stay at POP for convenience of SkyLiner be aware of unexpected shutdowns due to weather.
Why not book both locations with 5 day cancel , hopefully and then make decision .
Don’t forget Universal usually starts Mardi Gras Celebration in February . You might not want to go to Epcot!

It’s not going to settle down …maybe when Tron opens…

Why not book both locations with 5 day cancel , hopefully and then make decision .
Don’t forget Universal usually starts Mardi Gras Celebration in February . You might not want to go to Epcot!

I've decided to book Portifino and wait to see what happens to Gardians to see how beneficial it is to stay onsite. I'll book POP at a later date if we decide to go that route.

Thanks for the insight!

Sounds like you've made a decision but factors I would consider are:
- Is this a one and done trip to Epcot, or would you be back again some day?
- Is GOTG the sole reason for Epcot, or would you be willing to forego riding?

For me if the answer to these questions was that you'd be back, and want to experience Epcot as a whole rather than the one ride, staying put at PB wins out for the convenience of not moving your bags.

Sounds like you've made a decision but factors I would consider are:
- Is this a one and done trip to Epcot, or would you be back again some day?
- Is GOTG the sole reason for Epcot, or would you be willing to forego riding?

For me if the answer to these questions was that you'd be back, and want to experience Epcot as a whole rather than the one ride, staying put at PB wins out for the convenience of not moving your bags.

We have been to Epcot multiple times and this will likely not be our last. Although Disney is starting to lose us (thus the trip to Universal) We enjoy the Arts Festival and that is our main reason for going. Guardians would just be icing on the cake. 😊

If you've got access to agency rates and are willing to throw money at not waiting in line for GOTG:CW, I would consider booking a throwaway room at one of the All-Stars or even a campsite at FW. You would still have to Uber in the morning from Portofino, but that would give you access to the 7am ILL drop and early entry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter