1st timer w/never-ending series of questions

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
I'm California-challenged...help. Playing around w/dates for poss. 1st visit in 2007 (Oct.-Columbus Day or end of June are fore-runners).

1) Other than obvious major holidays, when is it prudent to avoid visiting DL?

2) Does CA have a "rainy season"...what's the worst weather we'll run into?

3) Is it worth it to stay on-site...which hotel do you like?

4) 2 or 3 days in park?

I'm scrolling thru site, feel free to give any important advice.

TIA

I'm California-challenged...help. Playing around w/dates for poss. 1st visit in 2007 (Oct.-Columbus Day or end of June are fore-runners).

It would be a toss up between Columbas day and the end of June. Both have pros and cons. Oct- weather a little cooler (not cold, more enjoyable actually). Holiday weekend- busy. Oct is off season so more rides down for refurb. June: hot, crowded, but fewer rides closed for refurb.

Mid June thru Labor Day. Its the busy peak season. The week between Christmas and New Years.

Dec, Jan, and Feb will be see the most rain. Its not a lot- see www.weather.com for average temps and rainfall.

All depends on your budget and whats important to you. Personally, for my family, no its not worth it. The off site hotels are 1/2 as much and just as close.

4) 2 or 3 days in park? 3. NO question. You need 3 at a minimum to ride the rides, watch the shows, parades, etc.

hlbtimes2 said:

It would be a toss up between Columbas day and the end of June. Both have pros and cons. Oct- weather a little cooler (not cold, more enjoyable actually). Holiday weekend- busy. Oct is off season so more rides down for refurb. June: hot, crowded, but fewer rides closed for refurb.

Mid June thru Labor Day. Its the busy peak season. The week between Christmas and New Years.

Dec, Jan, and Feb will be see the most rain. Its not a lot- see www.weather.com for average temps and rainfall.

All depends on your budget and whats important to you. Personally, for my family, no its not worth it. The off site hotels are 1/2 as much and just as close.

4) 2 or 3 days in park? 3. NO question. You need 3 at a minimum to ride the rides, watch the shows, parades, etc.

I agree.

Jan- Feb is good to go if you don't mind occassional rains.

Hotel was never my priority as long as its clean. Pools are pools too, it has decent water. Some are heated, some are not but I wouldn't worry about it if I'm at the parks all day.

The perks that you get at a disneyland chain o' hotels still doesn't equate with the high amount that you'll be paying. Early entry any given chance, free balloons, little treats can be bought at a relatively cheap price. What we can argue there is the ambiance (but do you really think it's practical?).

3 days is good a week stay is more of drowning yourself.

Thanks!

I'm used to early entry @ WDW. We're used to getting a lot accomplished in that 1st hour before the park opens to general public, then we can take our time the rest of the day. Is the perc not as important @ DL?

Looking @ a couple pkgs. offered by TA. One @ Best Western Anaheim (w/DL tix) and another @ Super 8 Disneyland Park (w/Ca City Pass & DL tix). Anyone familiar with those hotels - are they decent & fairly close to DL?

We have to fly into LAX & will need to shuttle down to DL (I'm told to allow @ least an hour or more depending on traffic).

If we buy the CA City Pass, is there reasonably priced shuttles, buses, etc. to get us to San Diego Zoo, Sea World & Universal or do we really need to rent a car?

Forgot to ask earlier - when does The Nightmare before Xmas @ HM usually run?

Clueless - I've got to buy a travel book LOL.

Here are a couple of websites you will like:

For weather, crowds...
http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/crowds.htm

For where hotels right around Disneyland:
http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html

The hotels is cool because it sends you to the hotel's website.

Early Entry is only on four days a week and they only have Fantasy Land with a few rides from Tomorrow land open. So it is not the entire park to yourself. There are a lot of little children there too.

I am not sure about a bus from Disney to San Diego.

Hope that helps

They normally put up the decorations in late Sept/early Oct in HM.

:thumbsup2 Great sites...thanks.
kuusimo said:
Here are a couple of websites you will like:

For weather, crowds...
http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/crowds.htm

For where hotels right around Disneyland:
http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html

The hotels is cool because it sends you to the hotel's website.

Early Entry is only on four days a week and they only have Fantasy Land with a few rides from Tomorrow land open. So it is not the entire park to yourself. There are a lot of little children there too.

I am not sure about a bus from Disney to San Diego.

Hope that helps

They normally put up the decorations in late Sept/early Oct in HM.

Try this site http://www.anaheimsightseeing.com/sightseeing.cfm for info on buses to the other attractions. I think prices listed include admission to the attraction as well as the bus ride. YOu might need to call and ask if you can do transportation only. From the looks of the prices you would be better off renting a car for a couple days.

As for early entry, all 3 day or more park hoppers have a day of EE. Its Mon, Tues, Thurs and Saturday. It really is helpfull to have an EE day- you can do most of the fantasy land rides in that hour. Considering the line for Peter Pan and dumbo are often an hour mid-day it is a time saver.

For the hotels, I would spend some time reading reviews at www.tripadvisor.com It will give you an idea of how the propterties are, what people liked or didnt like about them, etc.

DL is so much closer than WDW so staying on site is nice, but I think off site is MUCH cheaper and almost the same distance. October would be a nice time to go and in my opinion you need a car to do San Diego. Traffic can be bad so plan to do the parks during the week and the drivign things on the weekends. Even then, leave yourself plenty of time to get there. Many people split their stay and spend part in Anaheim and part in San Diego depending on how much you want to do there. How many days total are you looking at?

Usually, not always, I find booking separately is a better deal, but it depends on the promotions going on.

Jenn

I've heard urban legends :scared: about the traffic...DH was stationed in San Diego many years ago & really has no interest in returning (said he's was so sick of the Zoo - that's all they ever did off base - yeah, sure :drinking1 LOL)

On the one of the hotel's web sites I was shocked to see that they had balcony rooms w/view of the park - even had a pic w/view of Space Mt...I had absolutely no idea the off-sites were quite so close. Can you cross the street easily?

We were looking @ 8 - 9 days (4 @ DL & 4 in the general area). We are intrigued w/the thought of going to Vegas (big kids DL) after DL though...saw that Gray Lines offers a 4-1/2 hour bus ride out to Vegas.

It is very easy to walk across the street to get to the parks. Many of the hotels across the street have a shorter walk to the parks than on-property hotels.

San Diego is a great city. You can drive there in about an hour and a half if you go on a Sat/Sun morning. There are plenty of things to do besides the zoo. :)

Vegas is a LOT of fun as well. You may want to look at your options for renting a car for the week. Prices can be pretty cheap and may be less than all of the tranfers/bus rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter