1st timer - on or off site ?

Keep the comments coming - Again, this is for a co-worker going for the first time with 8-10 people in total.

We've been 5 times and always stayed on-site - I doubt we'll ever stay off-site IF we ever go again

I have only stayed off-site and it has been great. There was 6 of us that went August 22-29 and we stayed at the Grand Beach Resort in a 3 bed/3bath condo - it was 10 minute drive to any of the parks. I had an AP so parking was free. Car rental for the week was $150.

We bought groceries because we had a full kitchen and spent $180 for the entire week. Food is so cheap in Florida - I found it to be half the price of what we pay in Alberta. A 4 litre jug of milk was $2.69. It was really nice to be able to feed the kids healthy food and enjoy the quiet of the resort when we needed it. It was also nice having 3 bathrooms to get ready every morning and having a washer/dryer in our unit. We could put a load of clothes on at night and have clean clothes the next morning.

I like the off-site part just to get away from all the crowds and line ups. That being said, I do want to book at a value resort in November with another single mom and try the whole Disney experience.:woohoo:

No matter where you stay - you are going to have a magical vacation because you are in the happiest place in the world.

We have been to Orlando 4 times and never stay onsite. For our first visit, I weighed the pros and cons and the cost of all that "magic" everyone talks about and I came to the conclusion that I can't miss something I never had...so offsite we went. To be fair, we spent more time at Universal/Islands of Adventure and SeaWorld than we did a WDW that trip and we found magic EVERYWHERE (not just at MK, which was the only WDW park we experienced that trip).

I think that sometimes people get so caught up and trying everybody's tricks to get the most out of their trips that they end up feeling let down when they actually get there. I have over planned our last two trips so much that I didn't even really enjoy them, and the last trip I had absolutely zero excitement in the weeks leading up to it. I was too worried about the perfect accomodations and the perfect ADR's, etc. Now we have no intention of going back any time soon.

If your friend's are happy to have everybody all in one room for a week, or if they want to try the dining plan,then on site may be a good choice. If they would rather have room to spread out when they have some down time, and don't mind driving a rental car then a condo is a better choice. It just depends on what they want from this vacation.

I can't imagine us staying on site with the kids because we get crabby if we don't have some space and proper sleep. With two snorers, and two light sleepers, one room doesn't fly with us for more than a couple of days.

We have been to Orlando 4 times and never stayed onsite.

This is not a flame at all, but please be careful about expressing opinions on staying on site when you've never stayed on site. ;)

I don't think the OP's co-worker was thinking about putting 8-10 people in one room. That would be awful. Having down time at Disney is easy. There are TONs of things to do other than the parks. That's one of the things you get to do when you stay on-site and not off. Just to name a few....

- relaxing at your resort at the pool or spa
- increadible scenic jogging trails
- movies under the stars at the resorts
- animal programs at AKL
- aquatic/underwater programs
- bicycle or four-seat surrey rentals
- dockside resort fishing of full fishing excursions
- tennis, volleyball and other sports at the resorts
- kids programs (this is especially awesome at AKL)
- sea Raycers, kayaks, pontoon boats, canoes, sailboats and pedal boats
- sandy beaches
- strolling the boardwalk
- NASCAR racing (yes, you drive!)
- special cruises at certain resorts
- nightly fireworks
- minature golf and professional golf courses
- carriage rides

We've stayed on site and off site. In our opinion, especially with kids, if you are doing Disney or mostly Disney for your trip then convenience wise it makes sense to stay on site. If price is a factor then stay at a value, moderate or the WDW Swan or Dolphin.

having done both options several times, i would always recommend on-site if you are doing just Disney. It really doesn't work out any cheaper once everything is factored in (we kept receipts to verify to ourselves). with the property being so large, we spent most of our time in the car when staying off-site. booking a condo was great, however, i still had to cook and clean - where was MY vacation? lol. i will never stay off-site again when doing a Disney vacation. Even if it were more expensive, i would pay it!

Never reccomend offsite, we did that 20 years ago before we bought into dvc it was awful. Getting up earlier driving parking no perks. To many benifits staying on site. Starting right at airport if your flying free disney transportation. You can go back to your resort relax then short bus ride or boat ride you can be back at a theme park. Let the disney people worry about getting you where you want instead of you having to drive yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter