14 hr round trip for 1 day in Epcot - crazy?

I just booked a last minute room at the rodeway inn maingate on Irlo Bronson. I stayed there last year for the marathon. It's nothing to write home about, but it is clean, safe and less than $30 a night with tax. There is also free coffee, juice and doughnuts in the morning, and it shares a driveway with a wafflehouse.

You might not be able to get to Epcot by the 9:00 a.m. opening because of traffic snarls due to the marathon. We were staying at POFQ during marathon weekend a couple years ago, and it took our bus close to an hour to get from our resort to Epcot! A lot of roads were blocked due to runners going past, which tied up traffic quite a bit. Just so you know, you might end up sitting in traffic around the Epcot area for a while before you actually get to the parking lot.

I dont think I could do it...

There was a time where we did it in 1 day. We left the house at 5am to meet my inlaws at 8am at Epcot. Then we left them at 7pm and got home around 10pm.

At 8pm we were on I-75 and I was falling asleep at the wheel! It was horrible

I am trying to get my husband to drive up this Fri night and leave on Sun night and he isnt going for it LOL

There are circumstances where I could see doing it. But, I wouldn't leave fort walton beach and a perfectly good hotel with my husband to do it. I say enjoy the beautiful white sand beaches, the delicious sea food, etc!

Keep in mind if either I-10or I-75 are backed up its a huge headache.

Well, we decided NOT to make the drive to Epcot. We're just going to enjoy the Fort Walton/Panama City Beach area and relax. I fly out tomorrow morning!

Well, we decided NOT to make the drive to Epcot. We're just going to enjoy the Fort Walton/Panama City Beach area and relax. I fly out tomorrow morning!

I think that is a good choice. There is a lot to do and see in the Gulf area. You could have more time relaxation. That was a lot of driving for such a short time in Epcot. Enjoy your trip. Eat a lot. The fresh seafood is great in the area! (Don't miss the outlets in Destin....)

You should check out McGuire's Irish Pub! Wonderful food and even better atmosphere.

I was just checking out their website when I read this! :)

Wonderful place. The original, and only other, one is in Pensacola. Their burgers are really great and their "small" salad is anything but small.

Go for it! We drove from MI to SC once for dinner :)

SC as in South Carolina? For dinner? I am from Greenville! Do tell what place had you drive that far! Must be some awesome food ... SC has great restaurants!

Shoot we've done that from ATL, several times. Atlanta to Orlando is about 6-7 hours, depending on traffic and road construction. Just last month we drove down 2X's, we stayed one night one week, 2 weeks later we stayed 4 nights. You are so excited to be in WDW, the adrenaline kicks in to overdrive.
Go for it!:thumbsup2

I'd say to go for it if you feel up to the drive. We used to drive 5 hrs each way just to go to Disneyland when I was a kid (this was before DCA opened), although we usually stayed over the night before or the night after visiting. I know people who lived further north than I did in CA who did the same thing (8 hrs for one friend if there was no traffic at all). Have fun! :wizard:

SC as in South Carolina? For dinner? I am from Greenville! Do tell what place had you drive that far! Must be some awesome food ... SC has great restaurants!

I am near Charleston and was thinking the same thing...really just to eat...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter