13th Birthday at Universal Studios Hollywood... tips?

MagicalMomAZ

DIS Veteran
So my son will be turning 13 as we travel from the Central Coast to Newport Beach for our usual summer vacation. Because he hates to drive on his birthday (carsickness) we thought we'd stop..get a room in Hollywood..and celebrate there.

SO I was hoping someone might have some tips or ideas because the last time we were there was Winter of 2015 (before Potter).

Is there a good place to reserve dinner (City Walk or park)?
Is there anywhere we can order a birthday cake & bring to said restaurant? Even a DQ?

Is it worth it to buy Front Of The Line Pass if you have a birthday guest in your party (family of 4)?

Thanks in advance!

Are you staying in Hollywood or closer to Universal? Do you definitely want to do dinner at CityWalk, or looking for somewhere in Hollywood? Of all the places at CityWalk, the one that is probably the most teenage friendly is Buca di Beppo. Maybe Hard Rock, but I've found it kind of anemic. I've always felt like the focus of everywhere else is the bar. There's a Ben and Jerry's, the might sell cakes from that location. You could call the restaurant for their policy on bringing a cake. They may have a cake that they make in house that you can arrange.

Are you staying in Hollywood or closer to Universal? Do you definitely want to do dinner at CityWalk, or looking for somewhere in Hollywood? Of all the places at CityWalk, the one that is probably the most teenage friendly is Buca di Beppo. Maybe Hard Rock, but I've found it kind of anemic. I've always felt like the focus of everywhere else is the bar. There's a Ben and Jerry's, the might sell cakes from that location. You could call the restaurant for their policy on bringing a cake. They may have a cake that they make in house that you can arrange.
We plan to stay on-site, The Hilton. I was hoping any eatery would be a hop, skip & jump - no driving. I haven't even looked yet but do you know if there's any sushi joints? That would be his favorite. Ben & Jerry's is a great idea though.

Anyone know about reservations at the Three Broomsticks? We've only eaten at the Gru's Lab Cafe, we don't have a lot of experience with USH.

Anyone know about reservations at the Three Broomsticks? We've only eaten at the Gru's Lab Cafe, we don't have a lot of experience with USH.
Ok, for those who might pop in....Wasabi Sushi is at CityWalk & no reservations allowed at Three Broomsticks. I've been a busy lady this morning. ;)

Yea, no reservations at Three Broomsticks, there's usually a line outside with switchbacks. I kind of like Gru's, especially the nachos. I don't really need to try Three Broomsticks again, but I feel like it's a huge part of Hogsmeade, so you almost have to do it once. There's also the pub, where you can get butterbeer and then walk through Three Broomsticks to exit.

I usually bypass Wasabi because there's other sushi places nearby, but I'm local. If you're ok with the prices and that's his favorite, it's a good choice given what's at CityWalk. There's also Dongpo, which always looks really good, but I balk at paying that much. For dessert, Voodoo doughnuts just opened. If you don't do a cake, maybe bring some candles and get 13 doughnuts?

I usually bypass Wasabi because there's other sushi places nearby, but I'm local. If you're ok with the prices and that's his favorite, it's a good choice given what's at CityWalk. There's also Dongpo, which always looks really good, but I balk at paying that much. For dessert, Voodoo doughnuts just opened. If you don't do a cake, maybe bring some candles and get 13 doughnuts?

LOVE the doughnut idea!!
If there's better sushi within walking distance I'm all ears, I just know that I need to keep everything as simple as possible. Especially since we'll be trying to cram an entire day in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter