13 month old… go back to room for 2 naps?

justme0729

DIS Veteran
Does anyone else have a baby who very very rarely (less than 5 times in her life) naps anywhere besides a crib/ pack n play? If yes, would you take a 13 month old back to room for 2 naps or just 1 in the afternoon? She takes 2 naps right now at 10 months but at 13 months, I figure she can probably go longer and do just 1 nap during the trip? What are your experiences?

I know I may be in the minority but when my son was 16 months, we just let him fall asleep in his stroller when he was good and tired. I figured by the time we would head back then try to get him a nap and then make it back to the park it would take up too much time.

My friend tried to go back with her son, it was an unmitigated disaster the one day she did it. So he stroller napped.

Stroller napper here as well. My ODD was a terrible sleeper. She had no problem falling asleep in the stroller. That was when hubby and I would take turns going on stuff she couldn't ride yet.

My kids who rarely slept anywhere but bed at home, didn't have much trouble napping in the stroller at Disney.
We've never done two napping breaks at Disney.....just one....and often the youngest falls asleep in the stroller or on the bus on the way back to the room.

Mostly, we go at the pace of the slowest family member, so I've learned to just try my best to keep everyone moving forward, but adapt as necessary.

Does anyone else have a baby who very very rarely (less than 5 times in her life) naps anywhere besides a crib/ pack n play? If yes, would you take a 13 month old back to room for 2 naps or just 1 in the afternoon? She takes 2 naps right now at 10 months but at 13 months, I figure she can probably go longer and do just 1 nap during the trip? What are your experiences?
even the one nap was a major disaster at 17 months. no matter what transportation you are going to have to keep her awake back to room. how does she do falling asleep and being moved. not like going to her room and putting in her crib. can she fall asleep in stroller/car and be moved to her crib that will give you a better idea how going back to room is going to work

We took our twins when they were 15 months. They might have been on one nap by then, I can't remember, but I was very strict on their sleep schedule.....at home. Disney was completely different. I knew there was no way they'd nap in the middle of the day, and also, even if they did, we had two other kids who wouldn't nap either, wouldn't sit quietly in the room while the twins napped, nor did I want to miss out on whatever adventure they got to go on with dad while I waited for these kids to fall asleep. So instead of mid day breaks we just did early nights. We'd stay at the parks until 4 or so, grab dinner then hang out in our room and go to sleep. Occasionally a kid would fall asleep in the stroller, but we didn't try to force them to sleep. None of my kids are night owls though, so they all needed that early bed time to make up for the fast paced days. Heck, we joke it was the most rested we've ever been at Disney, and even the adults were asleep by 8 🤣

Our son (2 yo) has never napped in a stroller no matter how many times we’ve tried. He gets overstimulated in the parks and wants to stay awake. It makes him super cranky and not fun to be around so we always go back for the naps. At that age, we tried two naps but it ended up turning into one late nap because he wasn’t tired enough to do the morning nap at Disney. Now at 2 he basically doesn’t nap at Disney because we can’t get him settled down so it’s made things a little harder. One time when we were staying at poly he stayed awake from 7 am-10:30 pm 😳

I found the baby care centers to be really great if you wanted to consider that as an option. They are a nice place to decompress if they get overstimulated.

My kid would not nap in the stroller. Like ever. We would go back for 1 nap and then take our chances or go back to the resort early...

Let me guess, first kid? A sleep schedule in WDW - HA! That's a good one.
Haha yes... She turns into a screaming monster when she's overtired instead of just falling asleep wherever she is so just trying to avoid this situation when we can! We took her to Disney at 5 months and she screamed and screamed until we got back to the room... She's a great sleeper at home but we don't all have easy sleepers on the go :( But by 13 months, I think she can stay awake in the morning and we can head back in the afternoon hopefully!

Just a heads up for you- we traveled at 13 months (Europe) and decided to drop to 1 nap before the trip as she was already doing 1 nap at daycare. 1 nap while traveling is INFINITELY easier. However, the 2 to 1 nap transition is really tough. We started at 12 months and she was just adjusted when we traveled a month later. If you are planning on dropping to 1 nap, give yourself at least a month.

Haha yes... She turns into a screaming monster when she's overtired instead of just falling asleep wherever she is so just trying to avoid this situation when we can! We took her to Disney at 5 months and she screamed and screamed until we got back to the room... She's a great sleeper at home but we don't all have easy sleepers on the go :( But by 13 months, I think she can stay awake in the morning and we can head back in the afternoon hopefully!
This is what I would do as well. Also, try to be flexible, and see how she does, changing it up if need be. My kids have never been ones that will just fall asleep wherever, if there's something to see they are gonna stay up and see it. Our first trip we tried to go back to the room the first day and it was a disaster, so we just decided to do early bedtimes instead to offset the overtired of missing naps. This next trip they are older so I'm hoping if we take a relax break (still don't think I can count on a nap 🤷‍♀️) we can stay up until dark 😂

FWIW we took DD when she was 10 months, then again 2 months before she turned 3, and we go again in 7 weeks when she'll be 3 and a half.

We have always done 1 break in the afternoon after lunch. We don't necessarily rope drop but we do try to be in the parks as close to opening as we can without over-extending ourselves, do as many rides as we can, have lunch, and then head back for a nap.

Honestly, even DW and I will rest and we have found that we greatly benefit from it and come home feeling far less exhausted than previous trips where we were rope drop to park close, GO GO GO!

Now, in fairness, DD would doze in the stroller but between being taken out for a ride or just whatever was going on nearby, it was rest but not a full nap. But she still absolutely needed that nap and on the one day that we pushed through but then went back to the hotel early DD was an absolute disaster by the end of the day and we felt horrible for putting her (and ourselves) through it.

I found that as we headed back for nap our twins would fall asleep in the car. We got that we’d drive to get a coffee and sit in the car while they slept. Transferring once back at the room would not have worked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter