11/13/04 Eastern Cruise only We Did It

lets keep it up everyone. we only have 308 days til the cruise sets sail. i cant wait .....................................:crazy: :earseek: :wave: ::MickeyMo

Even if I have a terrible time on the cruise, I will be a MUCH faster typist....my problem is I can't type and READ what you all are saying at the same time!

I am practicing now..........

For those who have joined our AOL IM group...I will send the new members user name to you........Thanks for chatting!

from www.passporter.com

Magical Changes Aboard the Disney Magic Ship
by Dave Marx

Ah, if only we could dash off for another week on the Disney Magic! The ship returned from dry dock late last fall sporting a net-full of refurbished and re-purposed guest areas. The folks at Disney Cruise Line were good enough to show us around the ship one Saturday in November while it was docked in Port Canaveral, and we were very impressed with what we saw. The overall effect of these changes is a ship that is much friendlier for adults and teens, with no negative impact on its family- and child-friendliness.

The headline changes can be found right at the top, on decks 9 and 11. Disney has pulled the old switcheroo – the space that had been the ESPN Skybox, at the top of the forward "smokestack," has been converted into the new teen club, The Stack. In return, adults get two newly-refurbished spaces – the teens’ old Common Grounds lounge on deck 9 is now the Cove Café, and Off Beat, the dueling pianos bar on deck 3 has had a complete makeover into Diversions, a sports pub. The cruise line has also made some subtler changes to the Promenade Lounge on deck 3, and has added two sales offices for the Disney Vacation Club. Now, here are the details:

The Stack
Disney and its passengers learned that the original teen-only lounge, Common Grounds, wasn’t nearly large enough to provide a good home to the ship’s teen population. The lounge itself was very attractive and comfy, with a coffee bar, Internet terminals, projection TV, a great jukebox, and lots of cushy seating for reading, board games, or just hanging out. Dance? No floor space. Party? Much too small. Further, with no windows or glass doors, the room felt like a cave during the daylight hours. All too often, this meant the teen population just skipped Common Grounds altogether, and hung-out wherever they could.

The Stack changes all that. The former ESPN Skybox has been restyled, and offers much more space for the kind of activities teens want. The makeover is mostly cosmetic. The bar is still there, but naturally only serves non-alcoholic beverages and snacks. The big screen TVs are also all present, but they’re more likely to be showing music videos than sporting events. The main room is filled with small, round tables that can easily be moved aside for dancing and other group activities, and the ceiling drips with the lighting equipment required by a good dance club. The décor now sports bold splashes of color, gleaming stainless steel, and a mirrored wall draped with gauze curtains. The adjoining room, formerly filled with bleacher seats for watching the big game, now sports an open floor plan, with Internet terminals lining the walls. Plenty of sunlight pours in during the daytime. While we’re not teens, it’s clear to us that this should be a big improvement for everyone.

Cove Café
We smiled broadly when we entered the new Cove Café. Located on deck 9 right next to the adults-only Quiet Cove pool, Cove Café has helped turn the entire adults-only area into a whole new world. First, DCL took out the blow torches, and started cutting holes in the steel walls of the former Common Grounds teen lounge. A new, glass automatic double door opens right into the pool area, adjacent to the Signals bar. A new, second door lets in even more light on the lounge’s port side wall. To top it off, they added two large round windows. The overall effect is wonderful, creating a space that’s a daytime delight. You can now walk right in from poolside into the air conditioned space and take a seat at the comfortable bar, curl up with a book or magazine, or log onto the Internet. Amazingly, much of the décor hasn’t changed from when the teens owned this turf. The warm woods, Italianate plaster crown moldings, black stone bar-top and earth-tone upholstery exude the relaxed, cosmopolitan feel of the ship’s reservation-only restaurant, Palo and are much better suited to adults than teens. Cove Café is open from 10:00 am to Midnight. You can enjoy gourmet coffees and teas, cocktails, sandwiches, and desserts while you socialize, read, or watch TV. What’s more, they even have robes and slippers, for the ultimate in luxurious lounging. Out on deck, as a special added touch, they’ve erected a deck-to-ceiling, frosted glass privacy screen that clearly marks the beginning of "grown-up country." You’re really entering another world when you leave the Goofy Pool behind.

Diversions
Disney Cruise Line also brought their blow torches and decorating staff down to deck 3 forward. Off Beat, part of the Beat Street adult entertainment district, began as a comedy club, and switched over to a dueling pianos bar. While both entertainment options had their followings, the room was never really a hit. Well, the old décor is gone, the stage has been ripped out to reveal large, round windows, and DCL has brought in more of its characteristic Italian-style wood paneling, lots of stylishly comfortable seating, luxurious board game tables, and big, flat-screen TVs. Disney calls Diversions a "pub," but there’s nothing English about it. Those big windows now make this a very appealing daytime space. Operating hours vary (check your onboard Navigator), and it’s open to all ages until 9:00 pm, after which it’s adults only. This room takes over the ESPN Skybox’s turf for the big sporting events, but they’ve installed special air filtering equipment to keep the air fresh for the non-smokers in the family (smoking is allowed at the bar only; no cigars or pipes allowed). There’s still a full bar in the back of the room, and a Pub Master is on hand to host sporting events, trivia contests, piano sing-alongs, and talent contests. The checkers/chess/backgammon tables are especially appealing to us – we can’t wait to try them out.

Promenade Lounge
Unheralded in Disney’s press releases are a couple of smaller changes. The Promenade Lounge on deck 3 midship (between Parrot Cay and Lumiere’s), has been changed to greatly improve guest traffic flow in and out of the space. Previously, this long, narrow lounge could only be entered on the two extreme ends. Low, decorative railings separated the lounge from the adjoining main hallway, creating major bottle-necks when large numbers of guests arrived for entertainment events and the occasional bingo game. A relatively small change has wrought a major improvement here. A small stage (usually occupied by a two-piece band) that had been located halfway along the hallway railing has been moved to the opposite (inside) wall. Then, rather than keep things fenced-in, the railing in the old stage area was removed, affording much easier access to the heart of the lounge, and making the entire area feel much more airy. Meantime, the seats were reupholstered, making a subtle change to the room’s appearance.

Sounds like really nice changes.......

Hi Y'all!!

Please let me know when you plan to "chat" again so that I can join in!!

Thank you!!!

........that would be good for all of us to have an "official" chat?

Ky, Hanno and I were online for the 'cruise' chat Friday evening ....wow, was that quick.....but by 'enlarging' the chat window, I was able to keep up, sort of:yo-yo: - it is really fast!

Some of you have younger children so the whole bedtime thing could be a tough time ........ I will just throw out Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. eastern but am open to suggestions.:jester:

Sooooo...what do ya think:chat: ?

Which makes it 8:30 central......I'll be there!! Barring the usual distractions that come with having 4 dd's.

Must go write that on the calendar......:sunny:

9:30 PM EST on Tuesdays should work for us.....hopefully either my DW or I can be on most of the weeks.....

Sounds like fun!

OK, I will be a week later than you guys. I am trying to start a thread for 11/20/2004, but so far I have not had good luck. You guys take good care of the Magic till we get on her the next week!

Willie

Magic 11/20/2004

You're more than welcome to join our cruise, Willie.....

On another note, as an FYI, neither my DW or I will probably be on the chat tonight......hopefully we can join next week......

Let's plan on meeting again next Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. eastern......H_O_P....where were you?

I think I have 2 more for us!!!
I have just about convinced one of the girls I work with that she and her sister want to cruise with us! We actually share a birthday, so it we will be celebrating together!
(I think she is making the deposit today!):D

I can't believe I forgot!! Got home from karate last night, and my dd wanted to get on line...so I let her have the better computer, started cleaning the kitchen....and before you know it, it was time for bed!!

Ohhh, I wish I had remembered!!

Next week...

We had a really fun chat, even with our "technical difficulties".:p And we really missed you HOP! We figured KY was working so he couldn't be there, either. Hopefully we'll see ya'll in chat next time.:D

Quite a lively group we have here...should be a GREAT CRUISE!

We just got in the mail dresses for our three princesses to wear to dinner formal night. We got them on clearance at the disney store website, they are gorgeous! Can't wait to see them in them!

How many more days????

::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo princess: princess: princess:

Originally posted by feenie
I think I have 2 more for us!!!
I have just about convinced one of the girls I work with that she and her sister want to cruise with us! We actually share a birthday, so it we will be celebrating together!
(I think she is making the deposit today!):D

Good job, feenie! I was thinking this would be one empty ship....LOL.
I can't wait to see all of the princesses in their gowns - I think that is a very cute idea for formal night.

We are getting near the 300 day mark for our embarkment....just around the corner:yo-yo:

I picked up some bargains at the disneystore.com sale, so DH and I will be appropriately attired.:jester:

Gosh, I tried to post this twice, but it got thrown out both times. Hopefully this one will go through.

Feenie, great job! Looks like we are going to have a large group. (Could get rowdy! ;) )

Favorite Auntie, I can't wait to see those princesses all dressed up!

Favorite Auntie, After I read your post about discount dresses, I went straight to the web site. Not one dress to be found!! They have a few knit skater dresses, but that's it!! And nothing in stock for me. :( At least on sale stuff.

So, here's my question: We're sailing in November, but we're goin' to be where the water's warm, so.... what 'season' shall I dress my dd's in? White shoes, summer (formal) dress or black shoes and really formal? If it helps, their ages at time of cruise will be 3, 6, 11, 12. (The 11 yo will turn 11 on the cruise!) The eldest says she'd rather skip dinner than put a dress on. I believe her. But, what mama says, goes. :smooth:

Any thoughts?

WOW!!! I have been reading the boards for a while but just registered and found this thread. Much to my surprise... there were people out there that was just as excited about the trip as we are! :Pinkbounc I didn't think it was possible.:hyper:

So, to update the guest list...

My family (Me, Husband, 2 boys)
My brothers family (w/2 Kids)
My dad and stepmom
My mother in law and father in law
My sister in law, her husband and daughter
My other sister in law's mom and dad
My aunt
My brother's friend (w/2 kids)

By the way, here are the prices we got. How do they compare with some of the other prices that you've found?

Cat 11 797.35
Cat 8 997.35
Cat 6 1247.35
--These are per adult--

Just wondering! We did qualify for group rates by booking so many rooms. Every bit helps!!::yes::

Nice to meet all of you and I look forward to hearing from all of you!!:wave2:

Glad you found us:wave2: !!!

That is quite a crew you are sailing with - are you leaving anyone you know at home:jester: ?

I will be hapy to ask KY to add you to our first post but first,,,,I am going to grill you....LOL.

So tell me, you, DH and what are the ages of your sons at the time of the cruise .....and are you celebrating anything special.

Then, your brother - does he have a DW? age of kids at cruise time and special occasion celebration......
Then, your Ddad and Dstep-mom....ages (kidding!) special occasion.....
I think you are getting the picture:Pinkbounce: :bounce: :yo-yo:

As for prices...since everyone has booked at differnt times and different categories...it is hard to compare....

Some of us have been chatting via AOL IM:chat: ....so let us know if you want the IM's names of those participating or if you would like an invite........

and again, welcome to the gang:jumping1:

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter