$0.80 Exchange!!!

I'm torn. I've always said that when the dollar hits 80 I am going to use all of my gift cards towards my resort reservation. I am still $400 CDN shy of having it totally paid off after using them.

What if we DO get to go in December and they have all of the xmas parties, etc. Should I hold onto my cards and use that money for the extra parties, etc which is really why we are going at xmas time? Or use it towards my resort now?

The dollar has been holding in the high 70s for a long time now, so the difference really isn't much.
We likely won't know if Canadians can travel without restrictions until the summer time.

I'm torn. I've always said that when the dollar hits 80 I am going to use all of my gift cards towards my resort reservation. I am still $400 CDN shy of having it totally paid off after using them.

What if we DO get to go in December and they have all of the xmas parties, etc. Should I hold onto my cards and use that money for the extra parties, etc which is really why we are going at xmas time? Or use it towards my resort now?

The dollar has been holding in the high 70s for a long time now, so the difference really isn't much.
We likely won't know if Canadians can travel without restrictions until the summer time.

So, what would the difference be if you use them now versus waiting in terms of value, if you assume it could go down to 70cents. Personally? I'd use them now, worst case you have to cancel and get a refund. At this rate you are unlikely to lose too much on that, but do make sure the cards would have room (ie you aren't using max $1000 CAD per card just in case the rate is different if you do get a refund). If I had the money I'd be paying off my December cruise, but I'm waiting on some bonus pay at the end of March to do that. Maybe I'll get lucky and the rate will hold (a month? unlikely but I can dream).

@hdrolfe, both of my card on file are maxed at $1000 CDN, well, $976-ish so a little wiggle room.

I still have a bunch of old empty cards. Should I make a third card and move a hundred dollars from each onto that just in case the dollar does a good spike?

@hdrolfe, both of my card on file are maxed at $1000 CDN, well, $976-ish so a little wiggle room.

I still have a bunch of old empty cards. Should I make a third card and move a hundred dollars from each onto that just in case the dollar does a good spike?

I don't know what happens if the card goes over the $1000 CAD. If it were me, I would if you think you may have to cancel (which at this point is anyone's guess!) I'd probably split it into 3 cards and make sure to save those some place safe.

And then I can use that third card to build upon to save for the remainder of my $400 owing on the ressie.

Then I have to get back to PC Points at SDM! We know those party tickets are not cheap and I need to buy four of them!

Last edited:
I am happy at how much I am saving on my DVC contract while I wait for it to close. We are approaching a savings of $2500 compared to when we first bid on it.
This has given me the itch to buy more DVC points! We have pondering it for a while but this makes me want to put a bid in :)

This has given me the itch to buy more DVC points! We have pondering it for a while but this makes me want to put a bid in :)
It always kills me that we didn't buy when we first looked at it. Bay Lake under a $100 per point with our dollar slightly higher than theirs, ugh what a killer, lol. Although I am really happy with our $70 Aulani resale contract we are closing on. $155 OKW for the direct benefits wasn't horrible on 75 points but I just think what I could have gotten for the same money before.

You bring up a good point about paying off some of the resort reservation. I know it’s questionable that we can go in October. But it may be a good idea to use some gift cards and pay some $ on our resort. Right now we just have the deposit paid. I have gift cards that’s I had bought to use on our March 2020 trip we cancelled. If I have to cancel it will just get refunded back us on the card.

It always kills me that we didn't buy when we first looked at it. Bay Lake under a $100 per point with our dollar slightly higher than theirs, ugh what a killer, lol. Although I am really happy with our $70 Aulani resale contract now.
Ugh - that is a killer. My parents said the same thing - they should have bought OKW when they were seriously considering it back in the 90’s. They ended up buying at the sad time as DH and I did some 20 years and 20 trips later, lol. But it works out because we have the same use year and resort and travel together so it is easy to book.

Which resort did you purchase ? We just love our DVC!

Ugh - that is a killer. My parents said the same thing - they should have bought OKW when they were seriously considering it back in the 90’s. They ended up buying at the sad time as DH and I did some 20 years and 20 trips later, lol. But it works out because we have the same use year and resort and travel together so it is easy to book.

Which resort did you purchase ? We just love our DVC!
For our direct resort we bought Aug 2019, OKW 75 points. Originally I wasn't going to buy because no one had ever been able to have my numbers make sense. Then one CM at MK explained that we were annual passholders and it was a no brainer with the Pass savings. I ran the numbers and oh man was she right. Our OKW cost around $16k CDN, so far in 2 years we saved $8k on annual passes. To do it over again I might have bought AKV instead, but either way we are fine with it.

I’m just going to buy some USD to put in my USD acct. it was a temptation to pay some on our Aug WDW resort but I’m fairly sure travel won’t be open by Aug and we’ll have to push res to Aug 2022. I haven’t even booked air. Usually it would have been booked already!

Thank you for sharing this. I just put USD in our US acct - and I can't tell you how happy it made me! Just the thought of maybe getting to travel again and this being a tiny part of the planning made me smile! :)

This gives me the itch to buy our first contrac!! Well I've had the itch for a long time, now I've got the cash, but covid and uncertainty in how the parks will be has kinda put a damper on that.

This gives me the itch to buy our first contrac!! Well I've had the itch for a long time, now I've got the cash, but covid and uncertainty in how the parks will be has kinda put a damper on that.
I will say I don’t regret buying in even with all this crazy pandemic stuff. The DVC system is so flexible and so we haven’t lost any points due to COVID. We now have double points for 2022 ... which we will either use all of them to splurge or we will rent some out to have extra cash to put towards our tickets, etc. Owning DVC also makes me less upset about any parks changes ... with DVC we know we will be back many times in the future so less pressure for every trip to be “perfect”. So if the parks aren’t back to normal for our 2022 trip I will just reduce the time in the parks and spend more time in the Poly hammock overlooking the MK :lovestruc(my happy place!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter