“Willy Wonka” theme park to open in the Netherlands

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
A friend just sent me this article about a “Willy Wonka” theme park opening (it’s not) and I got excited for a moment. https://apple.news/A8WdbwX5QQ32D-ilSCV_KQA
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory remains one of my favorite movies so when I was sent the link above, I got excited. Turns out that it’s a gross overstatement to call it a “Willy Wonka” theme park. It will be a place where you can see chocolate made and they’ll have a roller coaster. That’s as far as it goes :-(. No Willy, no Wonka, no theme park. Had it been an actual (well-done) WW theme park, I’d have been there on opening day.

As an aside, I was in Munich several years ago (where WWATCF) was made and I found the “factory.” It’s actually the Munich Gasworks. Oddly, of the twenty or so Germans I asked, none of them even knew the movie. The one person who was able to direct me there was American. I made a video that compares how it was when I visited and how it was in the movie. I was really pleased to have found it. Had I left without seeing it, I would have felt that my mission to Munich had failed ;-).

Last edited:
That's one of my brother's favorites as well. My son's 1st grade teacher opened up an old fashioned candy store years ago. They play the movie continuously. Mike Teavee was on hand to autograph pictures at the Grand Opening.

100_6530.JPG

Interesting. What’s the name and where is it?

The name at the time was Powell's Sweet Shoppe, in Idaho. They have since changed their name, but I looked on the Powell's Sweet Shoppe website and there are still stores in California and 1 in Oregon.

A friend just sent me this article about a “Willy Wonka” theme park opening (it’s not) and I got excited for a moment. https://apple.news/A8WdbwX5QQ32D-ilSCV_KQA
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory remains one of my favorite movies so when I was sent the link above, I got excited. Turns out that it’s a gross overstatement to call it a “Willy Wonka” theme park. It will be a place where you can see chocolate made and they’ll have a roller coaster. That’s as far as it goes :-(. No Willy, no Wonka, no theme park. Had it been an actual (well-done) WW theme park, I’d have been there on opening day.

As an aside, I was in Munich several years ago (where WWATCF) was made and I found the “factory.” It’s actually the Munich Gasworks. Oddly, of the twenty or so Germans I asked, none of them even knew the movie. The one person who was able to direct me there was American. I made a video that compares how it was when I visited and how it was in the movie. I was really pleased to have found it. Had I left without seeing it, I would have felt that my mission to Munich had failed ;-).
I don’t think Willi Wonka and the chocolate Factory was a big success here in Germany among adults...
Might be because we have our own good chocolate here and know at least the basics of how it’s made...;)

And knowing the actual site of a film is a whole different question... I could only direct you to a couple here in Berlin if you just told me the movie...even though we have quite a few iconic film sites... but most a regular sights anyways...

It will be a nice attraction as the city of Zaandam is already famous among international tourists voor De Zaanse Schans, but there is not really anything else to do there ;-) It will be nice for tourists to have something else to do there (nearby). It's going to be a sort of interactive museum with a rollercoaster voor Tony Chocoloney's

However, with the crisis going on... I wonder if it will ever get build. In 2016 they thought they would be done in 2019....

The name at the time was Powell's Sweet Shoppe, in Idaho. They have since changed their name, but I looked on the Powell's Sweet Shoppe website and there are still stores in California and 1 in Oregon.
We had a Powell's in my town of Chico (CA). It changed hands and is still pretty much the same, and still plays the movie non-stop but they've added other bits, too. It's now called Sweet Chico Confections (sweetchico.com). Here's a picture of the movie screen on the back wall.

sweet chico.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter