“Refresh” is my new favorite strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of typing this up anyway. I tried to figure out what was different between me and the folks like JETSDAD. I did not have wild success with trying to figure that out but I found a few things that might help. These are based on me being a geek and spending way to much time making practice FPs and poking at the FP system. I literally timed myself getting FPs in various crowd conditions over multiple runs and variables. I did not put the results in a spreadsheet so I'm not an over the top geek. :duck:

Tips For People Who Do Not Have Fantastic Success With Refreshing to Do a Little Better

1. If you are new to this, go read the FP stickies and come back. Go on. Seriously, go read them. Lots of good info there. The FP priority list is in line with how easy or hard it is to get an FP day of in general. I do find M&Gs to be higher up the list in difficulty than they are listed in the priority list though.

2. Do all the widely reported things like splitting your party and grabbing any time for a ride you want and then modifying it to walk it in to the time you want.

3. If you have an iphone ... buy an Android. No. Just kidding. Mostly. But if you happen to have access to an Android phone as well, try them both (and report back which is better).

4. If you have an iphone download the Firefox or Chrome browser apps. I had noticably better success with Firefox than either the app or Safari. I don't know why and it doesn't make sense because it takes longer for the webpage to load than the app (as you would expect) but I consistently got headliners 5 to 10 mins sooner with Firefox than the app (which you would not expect since it's slower so I got in fewer overall refreshes). Note that it was taking half an hour to an hour to get headliners when I was practicing.

This is one of the things that leads me to believe there are factors on the back end of this software affecting refreshing that we don't know about.

5. Switch back and forth between WiFi and data in the parks to use whichever is faster at the time. It changes.

6. Noon was my witching hour for FPs. I got FOP in 10 mins at 12:45. Other people have reported that they also got FOP around noon. I had been trying to get one additional FP for my son on EE at 11:00. Party of 1 (DH and DD already had one) to overlap their 11:15 EE. Could not do it. Could not get an overlapping time with 15 mins refreshing. At 12:15 I popped on and was able to get all 3 of them EE basically immediately within minutes. This leads me to believe either that there is less switching of FPs in the morning or Disney might start seeding FPs into the system around noon. That is total speculation on my part and there is no solid evidence for it, but it would kind of make sense that around noon they would have a sense of how many people are in the parks that day and start adjusting. Again total speculation. But if you can have all 3 FPs used by noon be on the lookout for headliners around then. Don't be discouraged if you can't move up FPs in the morning because it may get noticably better after noon (others have reported better luck in the morning though so YMMV).

7. Don't get hung up on getting back to back good FPs. There are lots of activities to do that don't require FPs and there are easy to get FPs. Alternate to give yourself time to refresh and also not have to walk them in so far. So for example, after prebooked 7DMT, plan to go see Mickey's philharmagic. After tapping 7DMT, try to get PP for half an hour or 45 mins from then. If you can get it close enough to go right after 7DMT great, go, if not go to MPh and keep trying. Go on PP (assuming you got it), grab IASW (which most everyone should be able to get right away with no problem). Tap IASW and start trying to get JC with a plan to go visit Mary Poppins (or see Country Bears) if you can't get JC right away. This worked very well for me to reduce frustration when I couldn't get headliners because I was still getting things. It reduced time on the phone because I wasn't trying to walk FPs in to be immediately available, and allowed for smelling the roses by not trying to go ride to ride all the time. I felt like I really got a lot of good things and did all that I wanted but I was a little more balanced about things.

7. Don't buy package tickets. Buy them separately and do so a month or two before your FP window opens so you have freedom to practice. Try making same day FPs on a couple days that should have similar crowds to the days you're going. See how long it takes you to get what you want. Try splitting your party to see how easy you can get overlapping times. Try at different times of the day. See what gives you the best results and get really comfortable with the interface.

And that's all I got. Good luck.

So the only thing I’m really seeing is that I was on an iPhone and wasn’t switching back and forth between WiFi and cell service. I stayed on cell the whole time as we have unlimited data. Maybe they were intentionally slowing down my refresh times because of that?

We only had two people in our group. We walked stuff back and did just like you said, grabbing stuff for later on and then doing non waiting type attractions in between. I wasn’t picky about the times it gave, unless they were in the far future, and I wasn’t able to walk it back to something within the next 2 hrs.

Mind. Blown. So FOP says no available times with the little yellow triangle but I should still check every single time that day? Ok!
Just keep clicking the time you want (Android) or switch between two times close to the time you want (iPhone). I played around with FP's a short while ago and people who don't use refresh might be surprised as to what I was able to find.

Refresh like crazy! Sometimes I have to spend a good five minutes or so doing it but can almost always get what I want, headliners included. The only exception to this on my last trip was Flights of Passage. Nada!

Refresh like crazy! Sometimes I have to spend a good five minutes or so doing it but can almost always get what I want, headliners included. The only exception to this on my last trip was Flights of Passage. Nada!

I played around a bit with FP's this morning to see what could be found around an hour after opening. Went to look for FOP first and this took about 10 seconds (3 refreshes). Not typical but also not the first time it's happened for me.

Screenshot_20180614-095004_Disney World.jpg

So the only thing I’m really seeing is that I was on an iPhone and wasn’t switching back and forth between WiFi and cell service. I stayed on cell the whole time as we have unlimited data. Maybe they were intentionally slowing down my refresh times because of that?

We only had two people in our group. We walked stuff back and did just like you said, grabbing stuff for later on and then doing non waiting type attractions in between. I wasn’t picky about the times it gave, unless they were in the far future, and I wasn’t able to walk it back to something within the next 2 hrs.

Connection with the server is what makes a difference with the refresh times. It's unlikely that the app "intentionally" slows down your refresh times based on whether you use cell data or wifi. It's just your connection with MDE. I've noticed with Unlimited Data (Verizon) my connection is a little slower. Even though we pay a lot more for it, it's less prioritized traffic because it's all you can eat, basically. The whole point is just switch between multiple times refreshing as quickly as possible. Another factor can be age of the phone, as well. Just as any computer, newer phones will have better, faster processers leaving the older ones far behind. I'm already noticing my 7 plus is getting a little laggy but not enough to spend money to replace it.

I played around a bit with FP's this morning to see what could be found around an hour after opening. Went to look for FOP first and this took about 10 seconds (3 refreshes). Not typical but also not the first time it's happened for me

FoP popped up more times last week than we cared to ride it. The only thing that never showed up was Navi. It drove me crazy having to wait in line for that one ride.

FoP popped up more times last week than we cared to ride it. The only thing that never showed up was Navi. It drove me crazy having to wait in line for that one ride.

Oh funny, we grabbed Navi for 2 people but threw it back after my son said he wanted to leave the park.

Navi I see quite frequently (this morning I found one for less than 20 minutes out). It's funny how there are certain rides that we each find easier or more difficult (BTM I'm looking at you!!).

I hit like, but what I really mean is that these screen shots of yours drive me nuts. :teeth:

lol I'll save you from the others then. I wanted to see if there were any rides that I couldn't get this morning (didn't bother with HS because it's a hot mess right now lol). Mine train was the most difficult but I managed one for early afternoon. FOP I showed above. The rest were within an hour of the time I was looking. Probably 20-30 minutes to get all tier 1 and top rides across the 3 parks. I should do a video sometime. As a side note, we were in line in front of the people who did the video posted above during the AK Moonlight Magic event in May. They were vlogging (you can see my DD in their vlog about the event) but I couldn't recall where I had seen him. Later on it dawned on me that it was from their FP video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter