Your best tip for travelling with Toddler? UPDATED -- great finds!

keenercam

Loves Mickey!
We are travelling with our best friends who have a toddler. We have never done the cruise with a toddler. What is your best tip? She will be 20 months old. What can we bring to make our friends' lives easier and to occupy our sweetie?

UPDATED 6/17 -- Found some great stuff at Michael's -- small 5 book sets of board books for toddler -- baby animals, abc's, wild animals, shapes & colors, etc. for $1.00 They also had very nice DISNEY coloring books with stickers in the centers for about $1.29 -- huge variety, each with a different disney character on the front. Also some Disney activity books. Found all this stuff as you go in, between the two sets of automatic doors. All their stickers are 25% off too, so a doodle pad and some stickers will be very entertaining too, for the toddler and the pre-schooler!

Go at her pace. Remember that things that interest you won't necessarily interest her. Above all, keep your expectations realistic and enjoy seeing things through the eyes of a baby!

Erin :D

If she wants to see characters line up ahead of the scheduled appearance.The wait might be a little longer but at least you will be one of the first and she will not have to be tortured by all the other kids seeing them ahead of her.:DTeh same goes for family/formal portraits. Either that or go during the other dining seating so most peopel are eating.
Also If there are special snacks or toys she likes, bring them. My son wanted oreos all trip long and we didn't have them.
Most of all take it day by day and don't feel bad if things go exactly as planned.On our first cruise with our 6 mos old we got all the way to the beach in Cozumel and realized we had formula but no bottle to put it in. Luckily they had one but now I check and double check everything. Thank God my ds is now eating real food.
Also is she takes a pacifier take several they get lost very easily.
If they plan to do Flounders tell them to sign up early and for everything they think they might want. This way at least they will have their choice of what to do once the baby decides whether or not she likes it there. You can always cancel 24 hours shead of time.
Most of all relax and have a great time!!!

We traveled with our niece(20 months) in May. We brought along a pail and shovel and she played in the wading pool. The day time was not that difficult to keep them occupied as there is so much going on. The dinners were our problem. She just did not want to sit(at home, she is great in restaurants). We took turns keeping her busy. Maybe bring a few small toys. All in all, Disney entertains the kids really well so you should all have a really great time.

Bring Grandma! That has worked out really well for us on other vacations. Really, it is pretty tacky, but we have brought a personal dvd player with headphones for our sons to dinner before at restaurants and we have a very peaceful dinner. It comes in handy in hotel rooms when there is only one tv as well.

Don't have your heart set on anything & you wont be disappointed. It is good to be traveling with friends though because you can each go to Palo & take turns watching the little one if she doesn't like Flounders. Let her set the pace and it will go much better for all of you. If two of you go see the characters, one of the adults can stand in line while the other one walks around with DD. Just take her back to the line a few minutes befor the characters come out.

we've travelled with our daughter a lot since she was born - now 4 - did a cruise when she was 26 months and a week in Canada at 14 months - and of course, at this age, every month makes a difference in some respects.

Anything she uses (pacifiers, sippy cups, special blankets, etc.) bring extras. As you have a cooler in the cabin on DCL, you can keep some milk or juice or water cold - Plenty of swim diapers.

We really like the safeline stroller/car seat - very comfortable and FAA approved so we just strolled right on to the plane with it, then the wheels "pull up" like landing gear, as it were, and it's a car seat for the plane. Then stroll around the boat in it. No gate checking, etc.

Our daughter didn't really care for the shows at that age - would tend to go to sleep.

We never hesitated to use a babysitter when we were on RCL - I guess the option DCL is Flounders nursery - which sounds very nice - I'd concur that I'd book a sitter as much as you want - we used one at least a couple of hours every night. We'd bring our daughter to dinner for a bit then back to the cabin - I guess on DCL there are only a limited number of spots and so I guess there's an issue about being greedy with "Flounders" time - but my guess is they don't run out of openings too often so I'd book for as often as you want. I don't know if there is a minimum number of hours or not - as noted above, we booked a sitter for two hours every nught (we had late dinner seating). (I know family members of my own who would never have left their toddler with Flounders or a babysitter hired on board a ship - their preference). Anyway, on RCL cruise, at 26 months, she had just started to have an interest in TV/videos so that was good entertainment with the sitter [now we have the portable DVD too - great invention] so your daughter may or may not be entertained by one of those now.

Our daughter has never been on a particularly strict schedule - so in some sense vacation wasn't a change of schedule which I read bothers some kids - she napped when she wanted and we worked with that (sometimes she napped in the stroller - which was fine afterall). Obviously you have to consider what excursions might be possible/not possible given the toddler's age (our 26 month did the stingray thing in Cayman - not that she'd remember but we're going to do it again this summer at age 4 - so might remember this time) (we didn't book through the cruise line either time - www.captainmarvins.com)

I think good advice is to be flexible - just in case - things may go just fine and you'll get to do everything exactly as you've planned - but maybe not - in fact, don't plan too much and then you are frustrated if things go poorly - I know on DCL there's the "pressure" to get the reservations at Palos, etc. but it sounds as if you might go one night and the other couple the other?

New toys/books for the plane, i.e., a new surprise prior to anticipated boredom. We encouraged use of pacifier at that age on the plane as really helped with the pressure in the ears. We were/are always very quick to remove our daughter if she is crying, etc. from any situation where the noise might bother people and others would have an expectation of this not occurring (especially, for example, a show). (get aisle seats, too). Always have an exit in mind just in case (alas, there's no where to go on a plane - we were always very lucky - until last trip at 3.5 - of course, no more pacifier then - and the air pressure changes did hurt her ears - as it was late at night and she was tired - if she had been asleep she may not have noticed). At the 26 month age, we splurged for a room with balcony on RCL so if child was napping, etc., we could enjoy the scenery, but DCL more expensive and so we're trying inside cabin for first time in lifetime - but we anticipate our 4 year old will never leave the kids' club! So we can use whatever deck we want to watch the ocean.

Thanks for all the great advice!!
Okay, I am definitely going to have to be less of a compulsive planner where these little ones are concerned. However, I think it is very good to be very prepared. So, I am going to pack goodie bags for both of them with yummy snacks and small toys and board books, etc.
What else?
Oh, yeah, I read somewhere that I should start saving empty plastic yogurt containers with lids -- great disposable toys for wading pool and beaches. Plastic spoons for shovels, too. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the tips, keenercam! I need to go to Michael's anyway so I will definitely check out the things you mentioned--my kids would love the Disney coloring books/stickers!:sunny:

I was just in our local Disney store this week and they had almost everything in the store on sale for 50% off! I bought "paper dolls", but they are made out of that foam material, so I think they'll hold up better. I didn't show our DD's, as I like to have surprises for the plane ride. We are still a long way off, but I just just grab stuff when I see it. A trip to the dollar store goes along way too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter