You Want to Go Where? A 4th of July Weekend PTR

I think I should have been more clear. I totally agree with you. I can't wait to ride POTC cause... it is WAY better. And.. I almost can't (and actually didn't on our last trip) go on IASW in WDW because I so love how beautiful it looks in DLR. So there are some that are in WDW that I really HAVE to do in DL. Things like Astro Orbitor and Tomorrowland Speedway... probably not.

actually Atoupia is very different from the speedway and worth the wait or you can get a fastpass for it too. I agree with astro orbitor tho as it's on the ground near main street for some reason, also you may want to skip EO too as it's mostly the same as the WDW version.

So in last nights ramblings, I mentioned that I was trying to figure out what do do the night before we flew out. You see, that was Steve's suggestion. When I realized that surprising Alex and Zoe at 3am was probably not going to be the easiest of things, Steve said "why don't you just book a hotel for the night before so we don't have to drive so early" :idea:

Truly, I didn't want to add the additional cost. I think that is going to be a recurrent theme in this PTR, sorry. But... I have trip to the world and every time I spend money on this trip... I just fear it takes away from money for fall. Honestly, I don't think it is the case. That is MY trip and this one is OUR trip and remember was Steves idea.

So after much debating with myself I booked a night here. The rate was not much more than the place the guys used before their florida trip a few months ago. (a place that had a robbery attempt while they were there :eek:) Plus, for booking and being a member of their loyalty club, you get a coupon for a free pizza (it is suppose to be emailed to me and will be good for a place down in Anaheim) This place has a pretty nice pool and as I mentioned is near a family fun center. All in all, I am pretty happy with my decision. :goodvibes.

actually Atoupia is very different from the speedway and worth the wait or you can get a fastpass for it too. I agree with astro orbitor tho as it's on the ground near main street for some reason, also you may want to skip EO too as it's mostly the same as the WDW version.

:rotfl2: Obviously I have some more research to do. I keep thinking that there are many rides very similar that we can skip...and then you point out that they are not too similar. And the ones that really are similar (like Soarin over CA) I dont' want to skip. :rolleyes:

How am I going to accomplish all my researching in only a month???:confused:

I am in a bit of a pickle...

Zach found out today that he is going active for the rest of the summer.

What does that mean?

Well, first... I have to figure out what to do about his airfare. Since I booked on alaska, I am not sure we can do anything but "let it go"

Second, Zach was going to be purchasing the military tickets. Total for those would have been approx. $500 for all of us. I looked at how much those same tickets are going to cost and now we are looking at just over $800.

I really really wanted Zach to go. I am so sad. :sad1: I think Alex would have had more fun with his brother there. I think it would have been so cool to have Zach see Zoe have fun. I guess this is just military life, eh?

I guess I won't be spending nearly as much for food... so that makes up for the tickets. (I could see where feeing him might :rolleyes: have been $50 a day) I just would rather have spent the extra $300 on food for him and had him there.

I am just really bummed. :sad2: I keep going round in my head... I tell myself it will be fine not having him there... and then I am upset at the added cost. Then I decide the cost will be fine and I am sad he will not be there.

Oh and it gets worse...

the fare I booked. I figured I would be out Zach's ticket. Ok.. not the end of the word. We used a companion fare..so oh well. But wait... because of their ages, Alaska Air put Zach as the primary and Alex as the companion... so Alex can not fly without Zach. I basically have to buy him a new ticket (and the prices have gone up) plus pay a change fee of $100. :headache:

At this point I am thinking of just bailing. :sad2:

Oh Ann, it sucks that Zach won't be able to come along on the trip!

And I can't believe you are having trouble with the airfare once again! :scared1: Since I have NO experience with US airlines I am sorry I won't be ANY help. I am just sending lots of pixie dust and good thoughts that you will find a way to resolve it all. :hug:

Still sending hugs your direction...and prayers everything works out!

Have you read Brook's report on DLR? I remember she enjoyed quite a few of her meals at DL (I'm not sure though if she mentioned prices).

Glad you figured out what to do the night before so the surprise will be easier.

Oh Ann, it sucks that Zach won't be able to come along on the trip!

And I can't believe you are having trouble with the airfare once again! :scared1: Since I have NO experience with US airlines I am sorry I won't be ANY help. I am just sending lots of pixie dust and good thoughts that you will find a way to resolve it all. :hug:

Thanks, Karin. I have found a way to resolve it. I may not be ideal.. and I am still out of sorts about everything... but it will work.

Still sending hugs your direction...and prayers everything works out!

It will... things always do. :hug:

Have you read Brook's report on DLR? I remember she enjoyed quite a few of her meals at DL (I'm not sure though if she mentioned prices).

Glad you figured out what to do the night before so the surprise will be easier.

I have been reading her report. I suspect that my reading is what prompted Steve to get the idea in his head. (since I am sure he saw pictures on the monitor...our computer monitor is very large) I know she has not given any bad food critiques...but also, I am pretty sure cost wise she hasn't shared either. I think DLR prices for their restaurants are all just a tad more than WDW prices. They have few ts options are those seeeem to me to be priced more like signature dinning at WDW. Comparing cs seems to be about the same? :confused: Inside of DL there is Hungry Bear restaurant. Their 1/3lb cheeseburger is $9.49. At Pecos Bills in MK their basic 1/3lb cheeseburger is $8.69.. so approximately the same.

If I am able to do the original plan, the surprise will be fun. If not, it will still be fun... just different.

How to fix things.

Yesterday really kinda sucked. Trip planning for me went way haywire...both for this one and my fall one.

First Kira called and she wants to do something that has me stressed out. I don't like it, but it is what it is and I will just have to adjust my expectations. (I will share all this on my other TR)

So when Zach called and also dropped his bombshell on me... I wasn't really up for it. He is out in the field right now, so he himself is tired and has not been eating and I guess he hasn't showered in a very long time. :rolleyes:

Then when Zach got mad at me about it all, I really was upset. I wasn't trying to upset him. Truly I am excited for him to be given this new opportunity in the military. It is EXACTLY what he needs. It just sucks that our plans will have to be altered (most likely). I just could have done without him being a jerk to me and telling me not to talk to him from now until the trip because of what I am making him give up. :sad1:

I don't think things are totally square between us. I did tell him that I most definitely did not want him to give up this opportunity just for this trip. He calmed down a bit and told me we would talk about it more after he returns. He let me know that he is just low on everything... and that once he gets back he can look into it better. However, I am all but certain he can not go.

So now I have two plans.

Plan A. This is the original. Zach comes back from the field to find he can in fact go. We get the military park hopper tickets and we proceed with surprising Alex and Zoe. We make one reservation at a TS in DL..etc.

Plan B. This is the most likely plan. Zach returns and finds he can not go. I will cancel his and Alex's flight. This will leave just Zoe, Steve and I going. I will buy park tickets in advance for us. Also, I will make several TS reservations. We will still surprise Zoe in much the same way we would if Alex were with us. Alex will stay with Kira for the weekend since Zach will staying on base that weekend.

Oh yes, I did mention that Kira is FOR SURE not going.

The only other difference I could see happening is if Alex really really wants to go. This I doubt. I think the only reason he would want to go is to hang out with his brother late in the park... with Zach not being there I am sure he is just going to be happier staying at home. Especially since we plan to give him a chunk of spending money. If however, he does want to go... I will have to still cancel both their fares and then buy him his own. The way the calculations for changes on Alaska goes is this. New fare plus change fee of $100 minus credit from previous flight. Since Alex had the companion fare ($100) that is all that would be credited to him. I am not sure if we lose that companion ticket since it was used... or if we are reissued it. Either way, we are looking at spending more on his new ticket than I did on the two original tickets. As much as I wanted both boys there, really If Zach doesn't go I am thinking it would be best to just have them both stay home.

I did give the idea of all of us staying at home serious thought. However, since the three of us each only paid $125 for our tickets... the change fee of $100 each would eat up most of the credit. Essentially making it a total loss anyway. I am not sure if we would get our points we used back or not. :confused: The largest chunk of our airfare cost resides in Zach's ticket (about $260 of it) For him, this will still be something worth keeping. ($260- $100 change fee will leave $160 toward another flight) He had mentioned paying me back for his ticket since he is bailing. I think the $160 is what I may ask he give me since it will be a true value in the future for him and one he would likely use since he has been flying to San Diego a lot lately to see his girl friend. Do you all think that is fair? Is that mean of me? I want to be supportive as he moves forward in his career... I just don't know how much I should hold him accountable for this fiasco :guilty: if any.

I think the 160 is fair, especially since he mentioned paying you back and he is the one that had the cancel. That is what I would do if it were one of my sisters or a kid. Still holding them accountable, but he gets something out of it (he can fly to SD in the future).

I think the 160 is fair, especially since he mentioned paying you back and he is the one that had the cancel. That is what I would do if it were one of my sisters or a kid. Still holding them accountable, but he gets something out of it (he can fly to SD in the future).

I think it extremely fair of you to ask Zach for the $160.

Agreed then ;) I will ask him to pay me for that. He actually is a pretty great kid most of the time. I am sure that part of what was making him angry with me was his own guilt over the situation and because he will have guilt I am sure he will want to make it right. Course... this will be after he isn't mad at me still. All bets are off until then. He can hold some grudges like no one else. Oh wait.. yes, like someone else.... like his dad!:rotfl2:

Ann, I agree with you and all the others. Having Zach pay for the ticket is just fair.
The other thing I agree with you is that yes, maybe Alex wouldn't really enjoy "tagging" along with you all, but it is wonderful you "keep the door open for him" if he decides to come.
There are lots of rides with little differences to the ones in WDW and I think taking a good look at the park map and planning on a route to go will/would be my plan of attack. ;)
I remember the food at DL being yummy. We ate at the Blue Bayou restaurant, and while it was not cheap, the food was awesome! :thumbsup2 I think you will need reservations for it though. We had a couple of CS options too and I remember being impressed with the variety of it. Sorry, can't remember any more WHERE we ate - it's been several years.

Ann, I agree with you and all the others. Having Zach pay for the ticket is just fair.
The other thing I agree with you is that yes, maybe Alex wouldn't really enjoy "tagging" along with you all, but it is wonderful you "keep the door open for him" if he decides to come.
There are lots of rides with little differences to the ones in WDW and I think taking a good look at the park map and planning on a route to go will/would be my plan of attack. ;)
I remember the food at DL being yummy. We ate at the Blue Bayou restaurant, and while it was not cheap, the food was awesome! :thumbsup2 I think you will need reservations for it though. We had a couple of CS options too and I remember being impressed with the variety of it. Sorry, can't remember any more WHERE we ate - it's been several years.

Thanks Karin :goodvibes I do need to keep the door open for Alex...and think that letting him in on the surprise may be in order. Just today I took him with me somewhere (a rare occurrence now) and he made the comment that he never gets to go anywhere. :rolleyes: So once Zach gets back and I know for sure that Zach can't go... we may have to figure out what to do about Alex. I just hope that airfare prices don't go crazy through the roof between now and then.

As for food, yes... Blue Bayou is a must for us. It is the one place Steve really liked and you can't beat the atmosphere. Problem is there are several new places...so I am thinking maybe Ariels Grotto for a breakfast... maybe. I have to laugh though...several years? Yup... I think we were there the same year... and it was our last time there too. (2007?)

Thanks Karin :goodvibes I do need to keep the door open for Alex...and think that letting him in on the surprise may be in order. Just today I took him with me somewhere (a rare occurrence now) and he made the comment that he never gets to go anywhere. :rolleyes: So once Zach gets back and I know for sure that Zach can't go... we may have to figure out what to do about Alex. I just hope that airfare prices don't go crazy through the roof between now and then.

As for food, yes... Blue Bayou is a must for us. It is the one place Steve really liked and you can't beat the atmosphere. Problem is there are several new places...so I am thinking maybe Ariels Grotto for a breakfast... maybe. I have to laugh though...several years? Yup... I think we were there the same year... and it was our last time there too. (2007?)

I guess I need to have a GOOD look at all the restaurants at DL :laughing: .. I didn't even know Ariel's Grotto served breakfast. :rotfl2:

We were last there in 2006 - we did a coast to coast trip and travelled for 6 weeks. It was wonderful and we really wanted to go back to California sooner, but WDW seems to have a grip on us. ;)

I guess I need to have a GOOD look at all the restaurants at DL :laughing: .. I didn't even know Ariel's Grotto served breakfast. :rotfl2:

We were last there in 2006 - we did a coast to coast trip and travelled for 6 weeks. It was wonderful and we really wanted to go back to California sooner, but WDW seems to have a grip on us. ;)

I dont' think Ariels Grotto (I think that is the name of the restaurant) in DCA was there in 2006. I think that so many changes have happened over the last few years... even with Ariels Grotto... it did have a dinning package for the World of Color show... but if I am understanding things correctly... as of June 15th it will no longer be offered.

I hear you on the grip that WDW has. We have not been back to DLR since going to WDW. I have been reading a WDW vet guide to DL sort of thread and it brings up so many things that have been "aha" moments for me. Like when it talks about WDW vets having their vacations be a lot about the dinning where in DL... it isn't the case. WDW visitors are comprised of a high number of "out of towners" where as the high percentage of visitors to DLR comes from locals... thus there are more cs options (and better ones) in DLR than in WDW. Just goes on and on about the differences and how it is a different way of thinking at one vs. the other... and that grip.. all the things that this talks about with WDW and why people go there instead... they are all things that I tend to like.
I am pretty excited to revisit the park that started it all for me... I am sure we are going to have an excellent time. :dance3:

Despite the fact that this is possibly could change, I figure that I should get started on some planning (on both trips)

Day 1 - 7/5

As I mentioned already, I booked a room at
WA124A1.JPG

Since we hope to surprise at least Zoe, the plan will be to act like the heat (assuming we ever get sun here) is getting to us and so we should pack up and go to a hotel. Idea being... the hotel will have ac (for some reason very very few homes in Western WA have ac :rolleyes: so it is a treat to be in ac during the summer) also, the hotel will have a pool so we can intrigue them with swimming.

After we rally the troops to pack an overnight bag, Steve and I will load said bags into the back of my SUV. We will need to make sure that no one notices the larger bags already in the back. Yes.. I plan to secretly pack and have it all ready to go.:rolleyes1

Check in is at 3pm. It will take us about an hour (a little less perhaps depending on traffic) to get to the hotel, so we will get on the road about 2pm.

We have stayed at this hotel once before. It has a pretty nice lobby for just a "basic bare bones" hotel. Steve will hang out with Zoe (and anyone else) here while I check us in.

WA124D2.JPG

At check in, I will quietly arrange for shuttle in the morning to seatac airport. Once we check in, our room should look like this.

WA124G1.JPG

I got a king and a two person sofa sleeper assuming that Zoe could sleep with Steve and I for one night and then the boys could sleep on the pull out. So depending on how it works out, Zoe may just get the sofa sleeper all to herself and Steve and I will get a big bed. :goodvibes

Our next order of business will be to hit the pool.

WA124C2.JPG

I am kinda kicking myself because a few weeks back there was a groupon for the near by family fun center. I suspect at some point in the afternoon/evening we may end up there to play a bit.

This is how close it is to the hotel.

WA124K1.JPG

It is a nice enough fun center. Maybe a bit more upscale than a Chuck E Cheese... with some little rides.

The location of this hotel puts us close to many dinning options. I honestly do not know where I think we will eat that night. I think a lot will depend on who is with us.

A couple places in the running would be...
images

Bahama Breeze serves Caribbean style food and lots of yummy drinks.

images

Mizuiki is a huge buffet that serves (as best I can tell) authentic asian style cuisine and sushi... lots of sushi. Kira and I recently discovered this place. It was fun but a bit scary since I literally did not know what some of the items I was eating were.

images

We have not been to this location of The Old Spaghetti Factory. Typically, they are located in old factory type buildings...with a modge podge of antique or antique looking furniture. It is not bad italian food.

images

Claim Jumper reminds me a bit of what WCC seems to be. I have never ate at WCC, but the interior is very "western lodge". It serves food that is similar too.

Funny thing is there are countless restaurants within 5 to 10 minutes of the hotel. We may choose one of those, or we may just pick something up to bring back to the room. Who knows :rolleyes:

I do wish that the hotel had an evening reception since they have a pretty nice dinning area. Their breakfast is pretty good.. but we will not be able to enjoy it since we leave so early at about 4:45am.

Here is the hotels dinning area.
WA124F1.JPG

After dinner we will need to let Zoe (and maybe Alex) in on the true plans. I have bought a puzzle that we will put together. It is a "Cars" puzzle. When it is all done, I plan to tell her about how DLR now has a Carsland. I plan to taunt her a bit and ask "wouldn't it be neat to see it?" I am sure I won't be able to hold out long and the first time she says "yes, I think it would be great to go" I think I will have Steve chime in and say. "ok, then lets go tomorrow morning"

I just know she is going to lose it! She has been begging me to surprise her with a trip.

After we settle down, we will probably watch some tv or a movie before going to sleep early. Staying at the hotel means we don't have to get up quite as early as if we had been at home, but it will still be very early. We will have to catch a shuttle just before 5am.

I love your plans!

The hotel looks pretty neat to me! Great room and the breakfast room looks nice too.

Please remember to have a camera handy, so you can catch Zoe's expression when you reveal the surprise to her! :goodvibes

I love your plans!

The hotel looks pretty neat to me! Great room and the breakfast room looks nice too.

Please remember to have a camera handy, so you can catch Zoe's expression when you reveal the surprise to her! :goodvibes

Thanks! I will definitely have the camera handy!

On a side note... as if anything for me is easy lately. I noticed I had not received my promo code for pizza (that I plan to use in CA) for booking this hotel. My email confirmation showed my members number... but when I logged in on the hotel co. site... it showed no upcoming reservations for me. :faint:

After a couple calls and a very long time on hold, I got through to someone who understood what I was talking about. They have NO idea why my members number is not being associated with the reservation since in order to even book the reservation I had to enter my members number to get the rate I did. They could not manually enter in my members number. I can at check in apply it, but that doesn't help me with my pizza promo code. :rotfl: I laugh cause it is enough to MAYBE buy one pizza...and a cheap pizza at that. However, it was something that made me choose this hotel over another so I think I should get the darn pizza.

So they are looking into what ever glitch has happened in their system (again..how could I get the member rate if my membership was never used) and get me a promo code for the pizza.

Again... why are things just not going so easily for me. :rotfl2:

On the plus side though, as I sat on hold (barely listening to the looping advertising) I may have heard that for early risers they have breakfast packs to go. :scratchin That would be kinda cool... :idea: then I wouldn't have to get breakfast at the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter