You Want to Go Where? A 4th of July Weekend PTR

I love your plans for surprising Zoe :cool1::cool1::cool1: Fingers crossed the weather is hot! Great idea with the puzzle. Can't wait to hear about how the surprise goes!

I hear ya on the heat and no AC. Our first 2 summers in England were extremely hot. AC in England is a fairly new concept compared to North America and many homes, restaurants and shops don't have AC and the buses and tube had none. It was hot at home and hot when we went out! England was supposed to be hot and rainy not hot and bright sunshine :rotfl:

Great news about buying the tickets at the old price. That does save a lot of money! Crazy how the prices increased so much at DL.

I love your plans for surprising Zoe :cool1::cool1::cool1: Fingers crossed the weather is hot! Great idea with the puzzle. Can't wait to hear about how the surprise goes!

I hear ya on the heat and no AC. Our first 2 summers in England were extremely hot. AC in England is a fairly new concept compared to North America and many homes, restaurants and shops don't have AC and the buses and tube had none. It was hot at home and hot when we went out! England was supposed to be hot and rainy not hot and bright sunshine :rotfl:

Great news about buying the tickets at the old price. That does save a lot of money! Crazy how the prices increased so much at DL.

Thanks, I am happy about the start to our plans. :goodvibes

So I think I am going to type the EXACT text I got from Zach today. I am not entirely sure what this means... I will let you all decide. :goodvibes

"i can go so hopfully prices and w.e. are good"

Obviously spelling is off... and maybe a typo? But do you all think that means what I think it means?:yay:

I basically texted back stating I wasn't quite sure I was understanding. I asked him to clarify, yes.. he could go?. I let him know we would still need 2 military tickets then. His reply....

"k"

:rotfl2:

OMG!!! My son... K? K what?? I assume he means k... about the tickets. But what about the most important question where I ask "am I understanding you correctly?"

I don't know what to think. I am still glad I bought the tickets I did... but :confused:

And... before I get to the plans for day 2... I am hoping for suggestions.

We get in super early (remember, I was kinda silly and booked a flight out at the same time I do when we are bound for Orlando) I know (thanks EastYorkDisneyFan) to be prepared to put our luggage in a locker. What then? I thought we would be able to chill at the hotel, but really... our room won't be ready when we first get there. I imagine we could swim. We could go to DTD. I have about ruled out adding a 4th day to our tickets since we would have to pay the difference between what I paid and what the current price is. ($61 for each adult ticket). Anyone know of something fun to do that is within walking or on the ART?

You have given me a lot of food for thought :rotfl: Seriously though.. THANK YOU. When we last were in DL, the food was not impressive to us. The two places we dinned were Blue Bayou and Wine Country. Both seemed to be the only good options. Even cs seemed to be lacking (except for I do remember liking the Mission sponsored Mexican restaurant near BTMRR)

Your blog... ok, so I WILL be going back to read it. :thumbsup2

Food is always an important aspect in our travels... It will be fun to try some of the newer options at DL. So... are things made on site more now? I notice you mentioned on your blog (yes, I peeked :rolleyes1) that the sandwich at Jolly Holiday was premade. We are not necessarily fans of premade...but you did say it was good.

:banana: I know, right?!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

So sorry for the info overload, I get so excited when discussing this stuff that I just can't contain myself! :yay: lol I'm glad to read it was helpful, though! :)

Thanks for checking out the blog! :flower3: Yes, a lot of the stuff is made on-site now, especially the baked goods. To clarify, the "pre-made" sandwiches in my blog were made on-site in the kitchen before being brought out to the font to wait to be sold. Not like it was pre-made off site, then unpackaged and put in the display case, if that makes sense. If you were to special order it, they would be able to make it fresh for you.

Rancho del Zocalo (the Mexican food CS near BTMRR) is pretty good as far as theme park Mexican food is concerned, but when compared to real food outside of the theme park, not so much. However, we haven't been there in the last year or so.

So I think I am going to type the EXACT text I got from Zach today. I am not entirely sure what this means... I will let you all decide. :goodvibes

"i can go so hopfully prices and w.e. are good"

Obviously spelling is off... and maybe a typo? But do you all think that means what I think it means?:yay:

I basically texted back stating I wasn't quite sure I was understanding. I asked him to clarify, yes.. he could go?. I let him know we would still need 2 military tickets then. His reply....

"k"

OMG!!! My son... K? K what?? I assume he means k... about the tickets. But what about the most important question where I ask "am I understanding you correctly?"

I don't know what to think. I am still glad I bought the tickets I did... but :confused:

And... before I get to the plans for day 2... I am hoping for suggestions.

We get in super early (remember, I was kinda silly and booked a flight out at the same time I do when we are bound for Orlando) I know (thanks EastYorkDisneyFan) to be prepared to put our luggage in a locker. What then? I thought we would be able to chill at the hotel, but really... our room won't be ready when we first get there. I imagine we could swim. We could go to DTD. I have about ruled out adding a 4th day to our tickets since we would have to pay the difference between what I paid and what the current price is. ($61 for each adult ticket). Anyone know of something fun to do that is within walking or on the ART?

Ugh....boys! :headache: Sounds to me like he's a go, though. :thumbsup2

I would suggest for you to do DTD and explore the DLR hotels on that first day (save for Paradise Pier). Going back to food yet AGAIN, Tangaroa Terrace at DLH is a good option and the atmosphere is great, especially at dusk. It shares an outdoor patio with Trader Sams bar and they often have a live musical act during the evening. I would suggest to walk through each of the towers starting with the Adventure, then Frontier, then cut through the pool area (there's a bridge to cross and you don't go IN the pool area) over to the convention center and into the Fantasy to see all of the memorabilia and photos plastered all over the walls. The lobby of the Fantasy has some fun little touches in it by the check-in area. This sounds silly, but you should also go into the restrooms, at least in the Fantasy Tower. The wallpaper is to-die-for!

princessandfrogexcited.gif

Sounds like the boys are going...I am all for brother bonding time. What is the age difference? I am thinking they are about like Goo and Boo...I am hoping some day they will want to be together and do brother things!

To me Zach's text sounds like a yes and that he will be able to go :banana: I must write texts the old fashion way, I write complete sentences! I must be getting old :lmao:

Sounds like the boys are going...I am all for brother bonding time. What is the age difference? I am thinking they are about like Goo and Boo...I am hoping some day they will want to be together and do brother things!

I love all the pictures and clips Tammie finds!!!!

And YAYAYAYAYA for that hopefully being a yes that he can now actually go!!!! I mean since it is like 3 weeks away haha! b

Okay, for me, being a non native speaker, it reads like a

YES, MOM ... :rotfl2:

I really hope Zach can come .... it would be such fun to have (most) of your family with you! :goodvibes

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

So sorry for the info overload, I get so excited when discussing this stuff that I just can't contain myself! :yay: lol I'm glad to read it was helpful, though! :)

Thanks for checking out the blog! :flower3: Yes, a lot of the stuff is made on-site now, especially the baked goods. To clarify, the "pre-made" sandwiches in my blog were made on-site in the kitchen before being brought out to the font to wait to be sold. Not like it was pre-made off site, then unpackaged and put in the display case, if that makes sense. If you were to special order it, they would be able to make it fresh for you.

Rancho del Zocalo (the Mexican food CS near BTMRR) is pretty good as far as theme park Mexican food is concerned, but when compared to real food outside of the theme park, not so much. However, we haven't been there in the last year or so.

Ugh....boys! :headache: Sounds to me like he's a go, though. :thumbsup2

I would suggest for you to do DTD and explore the DLR hotels on that first day (save for Paradise Pier). Going back to food yet AGAIN, Tangaroa Terrace at DLH is a good option and the atmosphere is great, especially at dusk. It shares an outdoor patio with Trader Sams bar and they often have a live musical act during the evening. I would suggest to walk through each of the towers starting with the Adventure, then Frontier, then cut through the pool area (there's a bridge to cross and you don't go IN the pool area) over to the convention center and into the Fantasy to see all of the memorabilia and photos plastered all over the walls. The lobby of the Fantasy has some fun little touches in it by the check-in area. This sounds silly, but you should also go into the restrooms, at least in the Fantasy Tower. The wallpaper is to-die-for!

Am I incorrect in thinking that much of the food 10 years ago was made offsite and brought in? :confused: It all reminded me of cafeteria food. This is why we fell in love with WDW..that isn't cafeteria food. ;)

Tour the hotels... that isn't a bad idea. Not sure that they guys would like that though. :scratchin Not sure they will have much choice if we can't check into our room early. I wish that DL did the price bridging that WDW does on tickets... then I would likely just upgrade to a 4 day ticket.

Zach is 19 and Alex is 16... they are very different personalities though... and sometimes I swear Zach is going to kill Alex. Right before Zach left for training a few weeks ago... Alex would not let up about something. It was making Zach SOOOO made. When Zach had Steve alone... he asked him "what is wrong with 16 year olds" :rotfl::rotfl2: Guess at 19 he is already getting old.

To me Zach's text sounds like a yes and that he will be able to go :banana: I must write texts the old fashion way, I write complete sentences! I must be getting old :lmao:

I am usually a full sentence sort of gal too... but I KNOW I am getting old. :rotfl::rotfl:

I love all the pictures and clips Tammie finds!!!!

And YAYAYAYAYA for that hopefully being a yes that he can now actually go!!!! I mean since it is like 3 weeks away haha! b

I know, doesn't Tammie find the best!!!

And... yes.. 3 weeks. :rolleyes: and I still don't know for sure.

Okay, for me, being a non native speaker, it reads like a

YES, MOM ... :rotfl2:

I really hope Zach can come .... it would be such fun to have (most) of your family with you! :goodvibes

I know!!! Honestly though...whatever happens will be fine with me. Even if the boys stay home they will enjoy their time without me around. ;)

Couple of things the pool at the desert inn isn't really a lot to write home about it's in a glassed in room next to the lockers, gift shop and breakfast area. Also I'd suggest heading to downtown disney as well if you don't want to go into the parks the only thing is if you decide to walk you will have to go through bag check as they have one on each end of the esplanade.

I will also second on Rancho Del Zocolo in Disneyland (by BTMRR) it's good and the food is a good value, plus you can get free refills on drinks. It's one of the favorites of the DPN Member's at WestFest we even had a section reserved by a manager one year.

Boo and Goo are 5 1/2 years apart...I think it is tough because Goo things he should do everything Boo does and Boo would prefer not to have the little pest around! :rotfl:

I am getting so many good tips and writing them down.

Couple of things the pool at the desert inn isn't really a lot to write home about it's in a glassed in room next to the lockers, gift shop and breakfast area. Also I'd suggest heading to downtown disney as well if you don't want to go into the parks the only thing is if you decide to walk you will have to go through bag check as they have one on each end of the esplanade.

I will also second on Rancho Del Zocolo in Disneyland (by BTMRR) it's good and the food is a good value, plus you can get free refills on drinks. It's one of the favorites of the DPN Member's at WestFest we even had a section reserved by a manager one year.

I am so torn... I realize the pool is not a lot to be excited about. I saw that it is inside. The hotel does have a roof top viewing of the fireworks though, right? And you can't beat the location.. but I know HoJo has a really nice pool..but it is further away.. There is still time to change..but should I?

Boo and Goo are 5 1/2 years apart...I think it is tough because Goo things he should do everything Boo does and Boo would prefer not to have the little pest around! :rotfl:

I am getting so many good tips and writing them down.

I think that is how Zach feels much of the time.

I am so torn... I realize the pool is not a lot to be excited about. I saw that it is inside. The hotel does have a roof top viewing of the fireworks though, right? And you can't beat the location.. but I know HoJo has a really nice pool..but it is further away.. There is still time to change..but should I?

According to the website they have a roof top sun deck, I never went up there as I was travailing solo and spent most of the time in the parks with a group of people for DPN WestFest (similar to mousefest except at Disneyland and DCA) so I never really saw the fireworks from up there. Most days I was in the parks from open to close, and one of the nights I got to see what bag check was like with no one there to check you bags (about 2 am) well on the way back from a meet at a bar at the Disneyland hotel.

I think it's in one of the better locations for the offsite hotels as it's literally right across the street from Disneyland, it's about a two minute walk to the shuttle and bus drop off area. It's even closer to the parks the the Disneyland Hotel.

Day 2 - 7/6 Morning

We (who ever we end up being) will need to wake early. I am hoping that the hotel will in fact have the early morning breakfast on the go. (I thought I heard about it when I was on the phone, on hold) If it is available we will grab it just as we hop on the shuttle to the airport. What time will this be? Well, we need to be at the airport by about 5am. Staying the extra night in the hotel allows us to sleep in a bit and catch a shuttle around 4:45am.

Checking in will either involve Zach checking all our bags or us only checking a couple. If I am understanding Alaska's policy, Zach would get up to a certain number of bags checked for free. If not, I am not sure that the guys would bring a checked bag, but Zoe and I would.

Once we get through security, we will sit for a bit and enjoy our breakfast or pick up something from the food court. It really is a beautiful airport. I know it is my home airport and thus I am biased, but really it is the nicest airport I have ever been in.

(yes, I am stealing pictures off the internet:rolleyes1)
images

Before we know it, we will be boarding and on our way to SNA. We have flown into LAX before and I didn't like it nearly as well. SNA does have some sort of noise pollution restrictions (along with an unusually short run way) that require a very steep ascent or descent. It is quite a ride in and of itself! However, it is very close to DL and I would prefer to get on the ground and not have a long drive. Long Beach is another option, but I believe it is a bit farther drive and...well, we have never flown into it and I didn't want to try a new airport.

Our flight is short. We will land at 9:30am

Once we gather our luggage we will need ground transportation. I do no plan to rent a car. While a taxi from SNA to DLR isn't too huge, most likely we will want to take the Disneyland Express.

images

Looking at the images online it looks like they change the exterior of the buses often. :confused: If that is the case, I wonder if the current buses will have something to do with cars on them. I have not yet researched that to find out. The overall cost for this round trip will be the best deal if it is all of us, ($80 RT) In that case I have to book in advance. If however it is just 3 of us, with coupons for $3 off each I am still looking at a bit of change ($63 RT) and do not need advanced reservations. Just show up and go. There still may be some ways to buy vouchers ahead of time to get that cost down. I have not yet figured it out.

There is also super shuttle and that is a bit cheaper but in my mind no where near as fun. (and still would be about $54 RT for 3 of us)

So if I figure land at 9:30am then pick up luggage by 10am, load onto bus and be on our way to the hotel by 10:30am. I figure we should be pulling up to Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites by 11:am.
Sign.jpg

Okay, so that is not soo early, right?

Sounds like a plan to me! ;)
And believe me it will already be a long day - so take it slow for a while. What about a nice lunch at Bubba Gump's? :lmao:

Sounds like a plan to me! ;)
And believe me it will already be a long day - so take it slow for a while. What about a nice lunch at Bubba Gump's? :lmao:

It is funny, cause you recently posted pictures and I thought to myself :scratchin "hmmm isn't there one near DLR?"

It is funny, cause you recently posted pictures and I thought to myself :scratchin "hmmm isn't there one near DLR?"

There actually IS one, Ann, right there on 321 W Katella Avenue Suite 101
Anaheim!
We cannot wait to try this one! So maybe we can send you in as "testers". ;)

I hope all the fanfare at DCA chills out by the time of your trip. Radiator Springs Racers is already over 5 hours! :faint:

Reports are that the line stretches out of Carsland, back into DCA, loops around by the Sun Wheel and back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter