You Want to Go Where? A 4th of July Weekend PTR

We stayed at the Desert Inn last time too! Can't beat the location - it's basically just across the road - we had a great view of DCA!!

I love the fact that you are surprising Alex and Zoe! They are going to be thrilled.
I wish we would go this summer too, but maybe you could consider another visit in 2014? ;) :lmao:

Ohhhhhh... a surprise trip....you know how I love surprises! I know Zoe will love it, but hmmm Alex?!:confused3

I am still shocked that Steve came up with the idea and I am so excited that Zach is going after he missed the Christmas one! Crossing my fingers for Kira and her husband to join in. What a great family time...

And of course you know that I am VERY JEALOUS of Carsland!

Of course I'm gonna join this one also... Wow a trip to DL and your going to surprise the younger kids how cool.. You are coming closer to my neck of the woods.. I can't wait to read all about it you are gonna have to do a TR for this one also because I want to see pictures of the new Cars Land in DL..

BTW I just LOVE the photo that your used for Zoe she looks so pretty.

OOOOH! A surprise! How exciting!!

Since you're planning a trip to WDW later this year, have you considered getting the Premier pass for maybe just one of you? At DL, you get discounts on merchandise (20%), food (10-15%) and even some of the good neighbor hotels with an AP. The discounts alone are worth it for us. I like to shop. :rolleyes1

Between how much the cost of the military tickets are and the fact that we are going to WDW with fd, I am not sure a Premier pass would work for us. Isn't it quite a bit?

The surprise is going to be fun.. if I can last that long. :rolleyes1

We stayed at the Desert Inn last time too! Can't beat the location - it's basically just across the road - we had a great view of DCA!!

I love the fact that you are surprising Alex and Zoe! They are going to be thrilled.
I wish we would go this summer too, but maybe you could consider another visit in 2014? ;) :lmao:

Well, I am thinking of a trip in 2014... for Steve and my anniversary. :goodvibes

So you stayed at Desert Inn? I think the location is what swayed me. It was among the cheapest options (I was looking for our lowest cost options) and since it was just across the street I knew it would be a great way to maximize our park time...or at least make it easier. I think we stayed at Park Place in right next door once... but maybe it was Desert Inn :confused: In either case, I remember walking out to the curb and crossing right at the light and thinking it was AWESOME. The interior of the hotel... not so awesome.. not bad.. but doable.

Ohhhhhh... a surprise trip....you know how I love surprises! I know Zoe will love it, but hmmm Alex?!:confused3

I am still shocked that Steve came up with the idea and I am so excited that Zach is going after he missed the Christmas one! Crossing my fingers for Kira and her husband to join in. What a great family time...

And of course you know that I am VERY JEALOUS of Carsland!

Zoe was actually mad that I didn't surprise her that we were going back to WDW in the fall. I know she is going to just DIE when we tell her to get in the car. You are right though... Alex :rolleyes: It will take some convincing to get him to go in the car. Luckily, Zach is in on it and can help to convince him. Zach is more fun loving and will like to have fun with this. Steve would just get frustrated and tell him to come with us cause we are going on a trip. :rolleyes:

As for Kira... I kinda hope she will too. It has been since our first WDW trip that she and the guys have traveled together. That was back in 2008. I would have to upgrade our room (I think) but the cost wouldn't be THAT much more and I did check availability and there is a larger room. Course..that is only one bathroom for ALL of us. I think that right there... Kira will opt out unless she and Josh go and get their own.

As for Steve suggesting... I know, right? :confused: I think he also suggested something so soon so that he can avoid my incessant "what do you think about..." Course... he actually has given some more input :faint: with little to no encouragement. (who is this man???)

Of course I'm gonna join this one also... Wow a trip to DL and your going to surprise the younger kids how cool.. You are coming closer to my neck of the woods.. I can't wait to read all about it you are gonna have to do a TR for this one also because I want to see pictures of the new Cars Land in DL..

BTW I just LOVE the photo that your used for Zoe she looks so pretty.

I love that picture of her too. :goodvibes

I will do a TR, it will be short and sweet probably... but yes, I will include pictures of Cars Land. :goodvibes

Subscribing!

:wave: :woohoo: glad to make another friend!

I second on the desert Inn and suites it's a great motel style hotel and it's closer to the parks then the Disneyland hotel.

You can look at some of my pics on flikr if you like as well Dessert Inn

Thanks for sharing your photos!!! They help me to really think this is going to be an awesome choice!

For those who know me, you know this is an area of much "tinkering" I have been known to peruse airline and booking sites to look for the best deal. I hate to pay much for a flight since often there are so dang many of us that I pay to fly.

This time though, our options were narrowed by the fact Zoe was going to lose her Alaska miles. This gave me one airline to choose from.

The long holiday weekend during which I WON'T be working narrowed my time frame down.

Once I looked at fares and reward travel, I quickly saw my dates. 7/6 (a friday) to 7/10 (a tuesday). Now to figure out how to pay as little as possible....

First there is Zoe. :scratchin almost enough for a rt ticket.. but the cost to buy the remaining points is almost as much as the ticket itself. :confused: Then I notice that she can use the points she has (without buying extra) for a one way. This meant that we would need to buy her a one way down. This wasn't looking too bad. Flight down was just 115.

That left 4 of us. Steve and I each hold an alaska card (we need to scrap though since the annual fee has gone up and the once $50 companion fare is now $100) Perfect! That would mean rt plus a companion for $360 x 2. That wouldn't be too bad. That essentially means I would get an average of $167 pp rt.

Then I noticed something else. Zoe could use only a portion of her miles to buy a half price fare. So how much is the half price fare? $125 That seemed worth the extra $10 because she would keep half of her miles.

THEN I realized both Steve and I had that same amount of miles and we could do the same thing. :scratchin so now we have 3 of us with fares of just $125.

That left the boys who could still use one of the companion fares. (I some how missed an email stating their points would be lost and so their accounts are at 0 :headache:)

This now has us at $125 x3 plus the $360 for the boys. And the drum roll for the totall....... $147 pp rt plus we saved a companion fare for another time in the year (have I mentioned my mother and I are going to my db wedding in the fall? :rolleyes:) I know that doesn't seem like a huge savings, but add up that $20 for 5 of us and I saved $100. :woohoo:

I had to make 4 reservations to accomplish this, but I did pick seats all next to each other. (although, those who read my TR from December might just laugh at that ;))

I think I am stuck in planning trips from the west coast to the east coast though. Our flight out is at 6:50am. This means we have to leave our house at 3am. (hmm.. kinda hard to surprise kids at 3am and get them to just casually go to the car) This is where Steve volunteered up some input. Just wait to hear what he has suggested. :goodvibes

As far as the return flight.. it too is much more like what I would schedule from MCO. 7:55pm. I suppose we can make it work. :rotfl:

I do have one thing left to do with the flights though. Since we opened these mileage accounts when the kids were young and before all the "exact name" TSA restrictions. I need to call to have our names changed. My mileage plan account has my name as Ann. Well, my drivers license reads "Ann-Marie". Zach is actually Zachary... Steve.. Steven... etc. The only one who is ok is Zoe. Once I change our names I can associate our accounts with the upcoming flights so that we can get credit. (although, I am not certain of how much credit we get when using points and or companion fares) It doesn't hurt to add though... and we have to change our names anyway.

And... one last thing. Should Kira decide to go, she too could get her airfare for the $125 (at least last time I checked...but we all know how much fares can and do fluctuate)

Hi Ann! Am so jealous that you are going to DL and DCA!! I used to go there all the time becaue DH's family lives out in California. I would love to see all the new stuff at DCA first hand, but I guess I will live it through your pictures! You guys are going to have such a great time. Can't wait to hear more!

Checking in! :goodvibes All the airfare analysis truly made my head spin! I'd love to visit Disneyland someday. But I just read about the height requirements for Carsland, so we won't be doing that for awhile with my little shrimp! :lol: Looks like you're going to have a great trip!

Great intros, Ann (love the old picture of Kira and Josh!). And you did a great job with teh airfares. Now, as for the seats being next to each other.....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: We'll just have to wait and see on that. ;)

Plans are moving along great. We've never been to Disneyland so I always enjoy following TR's about it.

Im joining you Ann! man, DL and DCA! I have to get there one day. It's just living in georgia, FL is so close we never really thought about going but id like to go at least once!

Hi Ann! Am so jealous that you are going to DL and DCA!! I used to go there all the time becaue DH's family lives out in California. I would love to see all the new stuff at DCA first hand, but I guess I will live it through your pictures! You guys are going to have such a great time. Can't wait to hear more!

I am so glad you are here!!!:yay: It has been a while since we have been to CA. I am pretty excited.

Checking in! :goodvibes All the airfare analysis truly made my head spin! I'd love to visit Disneyland someday. But I just read about the height requirements for Carsland, so we won't be doing that for awhile with my little shrimp! :lol: Looks like you're going to have a great trip!

I think that is why Steve hates when I plan a trip.. I have so many things I go over and it makes his head spin. He has often said if it were just up to him, he would book the first thing he came across and be done with it. :eek:

I am excited to see Carsland, but... I have yet to even look at what is/will be there. I guess not having a little guy it hasn't been on my radar as much as say... the princess stuff in the WDW fantasyland expansion.

Great intros, Ann (love the old picture of Kira and Josh!). And you did a great job with teh airfares. Now, as for the seats being next to each other.....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: We'll just have to wait and see on that. ;)

Plans are moving along great. We've never been to Disneyland so I always enjoy following TR's about it.

I thought some of you would think the seats together was funny. Course, this is through Alaska and we use to fly exclusively though them and never had trouble. We will see...

Some day you will have to go to Disneyland. It is (or at least was) so much more condensed. I really am hoping to do everything in just 3 days.

Im joining you Ann! man, DL and DCA! I have to get there one day. It's just living in georgia, FL is so close we never really thought about going but id like to go at least once!

For us, CA is closer. I never thought of going to FL until that first time. The time we thought.."we should do WDW at least once" It was much more the park for us... animals and better food... TOTALLY us. DLR is nice too though... and I am excited to go back.

I mentioned that I scheduled our flights in much the same way I would a flight from WA to FL. Early morning depart, late afternoon/evening return.

For those of you on the east coast, I have often been jealous of how little travel time you have to WDW. For us, a departure flight of 7am would not get us to FL until that night. It is an all day event.

Knowing we needed a full three days to make use of our ticket in DLR, I forgot I didn't need to plan our CA trip like I do our FL trips. (with a travel day on either side)

What our schedule now looks like...

seatac to sna 6:50am to 9:30am

:eek: Wait? That puts us getting to the hotel EARLY.

Then

sna to seatac 7:55 to 10:30pm.

Holy cow!!! It takes that long sometimes just for Steve to drive in to work.

:yay: In the end, I am very happy to not be stuck on a plane all day.

I mentioned that I scheduled our flights in much the same way I would a flight from WA to FL. Early morning depart, late afternoon/evening return.

For those of you on the east coast, I have often been jealous of how little travel time you have to WDW. For us, a departure flight of 7am would not get us to FL until that night. It is an all day event.

Knowing we needed a full three days to make use of our ticket in DLR, I forgot I didn't need to plan our CA trip like I do our FL trips. (with a travel day on either side)

What our schedule now looks like...

seatac to sna 6:50am to 9:30am

:eek: Wait? That puts us getting to the hotel EARLY.

Then

sna to seatac 7:55 to 10:30pm.

Holy cow!!! It takes that long sometimes just for Steve to drive in to work.

:yay: In the end, I am very happy to not be stuck on a plane all day.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Just so you know check in at the Desert Inn isn't until 3:00, you may need to store your bags in the lockers next to the pool area. They are fairly big one's I've been able to fit two bags a backpack and a laptop in one.

Ann, I hear you on the flight time issue! It takes us a day to get to WDW too - and that includes earning 6 hours! :rotfl2:
Start out at 10 here (4am FL time) and arrive there shortly before 8pm! :scared1:
Like your flight to DL it is just wonderful to leave Linz at 6am and be at DLRP at 10 :thumbsup2

As for the check in at the hotel. They won't have your room ready early (or at least that was what we were told, but I think they had a storage room where you could leave your things - NOT sure though, as it's been a while. The breakfast room is tiny and the options are VERY continental, but there are a few good chain restaurants all around! :thumbsup2

Oh, did I mention that I am jealous about you going?

And btw .... we might have a little request for you, but I will PM you about it lateron. ;)

Yay another PTR :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Looking forward to following you on this journey! I promise that this time I will try and keep up!

Just so you know check in at the Desert Inn isn't until 3:00, you may need to store your bags in the lockers next to the pool area. They are fairly big one's I've been able to fit two bags a backpack and a laptop in one.

Yeah, I think that is typical. I just totally forgot how little time it will take us to get down there. The last time we went, our room wasn't ready (we stayed at Desert Palms on Katella) we ended up storing our luggage until that evening. So they have lockers? :scrachin hmm... the other place had a room that had everyones stored luggage. Kinda odd in a sense... but it worked.

Ann, I hear you on the flight time issue! It takes us a day to get to WDW too - and that includes earning 6 hours! :rotfl2:
Start out at 10 here (4am FL time) and arrive there shortly before 8pm! :scared1:
Like your flight to DL it is just wonderful to leave Linz at 6am and be at DLRP at 10 :thumbsup2

As for the check in at the hotel. They won't have your room ready early (or at least that was what we were told, but I think they had a storage room where you could leave your things - NOT sure though, as it's been a while. The breakfast room is tiny and the options are VERY continental, but there are a few good chain restaurants all around! :thumbsup2

Oh, did I mention that I am jealous about you going?

And btw .... we might have a little request for you, but I will PM you about it lateron. ;)

I think you are one of the few who goes through more travel than I do. There just don't seem to be that many of us from the west (CA, OR or WA) that go to FL.

We are not staying too long so breakfast options dont have to be wonderful. In fact, I am not sure how much dinning we will be doing on this trip. I just remember not being terribly impressed by the food in Disneyland... I have looked at some of the menus... and :confused3 they do seem to be a bit high. Course, maybe I am just use to the dp :rotfl:

If I can help you with anything... just let me know!!! I am more than happy.

Yay another PTR :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Looking forward to following you on this journey! I promise that this time I will try and keep up!

I am just glad that you are here :wave:

I'm here!!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip - and how fun that it will be a surprise too!!! :yay:

:woohoo: Glad you have joined. I know that I am going to mess up the suprise... I just know it. I typically can't buy presents until right before I give them because I can't wait! :rotfl:

:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter