"You should cancel, your kids are too young"

When we booked our trip I was told that we would not enjoy it & it was a waste of money because my kids are too old for Disney :confused3
They are 13, 11 & 5.

I haven't read any of the responses but I will offer advice that is very very important for me to try and remember.
Some people in your life will always be on the look out for something to pick apart, judge you for, whisper about and gossip about.
Sometimes they may be partially correct.. often times it is to make themselves feel superior to compensate for whatever insecurity or pettiness that they have.
I have over the course of my life driven myself half crazy trying to please these kinds of people and it simply can not be done.
Maybe you'll go.. your children will be rotten , you'll spend your whole time hot and tired and cranky and regret everything about it.
Probably not.. but it could happen.
However.. any:) true friend or caring family member will wish you a good trip and hope you have a good time.
The people sitting around waiting for you to fail have their own issues that just aren't worth the angst.
Go.. have fun.. and ignore them.
It's all you can do.

Very well stated:thumbsup2

Thank you all so much for the responses!:flower3:

You have all said such great things, I am so thankful for this board! I am back into the "Disney-mania" I was when we booked it! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Can't wait to read to more!:3dglasses

:love: :cool1: :thanks: :disrocks: :jumping1: :rainbow:

DISNEY DREAMS DO COME TRUE! :tinker:

:mad: This makes me so mad! I understand how you feel. We took each of our children for their first trip when they were about 10 mos. old. There is nothing better as a parent to see those smiles on your babies faces.

One of my DDs is getting the same comments as her son's will be almost 1, and almost 3 when we go in Jan 09. (It's mostly her inlaws).:confused3

I think people should mind their own buisness, and keep their opinions to themselves.

I noticed that the people that make these comments, are usually people that never go anywhere, or do anything.

Just my 2 cents.............

Go with your babies and have a wonderful time.;)

Well, I guess we are SUPER crazy because we are taking a 3 1/2 year old and a 16 month old to WDW. We haven't really heard any rude comments, but then again, anyone who knows us wouldn't bother making a comment like that! :) If someone said anything to me, I would say "well I am glad you aren't paying for it then!" and then put on a great big SMILE and feel sorry for them that they have no joy in their life! :)

People are always saying to me, Well, I am not taking my kids till they are older and don't nap, can appreciate it, etc. Well, if you want to go on a vacation that your kids will be slightly entertained by so you dont have to entertain them yourselves, what better place is there?? I can't imagine being stuck in a resort in Jamaica or on a cruise ship (unless it is disney..lol) with little ones! Not bashing anyone who has taken little ones to those destinations!!! :)

We went last year with a 3 month old, 2 year old and 4 year old and you know what? It was hectic (But isn't every day at home the same way?) and busy but it was the best trip ever! You'll have such a wonderful time and YOU will have so many great memories and pictures of your children. We had such a great trip that we planned another trip for this year and our boys will be 6, almost 4 and 17 months.....and we're going with our best friends with kids the same age and people think we're nuts! :rotfl: And we may be, but as I've said to my Mom who thinks we're crazy, we're all in it together and we're crazy at home, we might as well be crazy together at WDW!! Enjoy, it will be great!!:goodvibes Just be sure to not have high expectations for touring...you can pretty much plan what park you'll be in on what day, but tha'ts about it....we had so many ADR's we had to back out of because it was not a good time for the kids or we were too slow getting there or whatever....have fun!

We went last year with a 3 month old, 2 year old and 4 year old and you know what? It was hectic (But isn't every day at home the same way?) and busy but it was the best trip ever!

Amen! We took our DD at 11 months and again at 16 months. It was great each time. I'm a SAHM, and I'm going to be changing diapers and working around a nap every day at home. I figure I might as well do the same at WDW! As a matter of fact, we're taking her again when she's 26 months old in March with her yet-to-be-born little brother or sis who will be 6 months old. :lovestruc

Good lord I hope not! We're going to start trying for kids in October and we normally visit WDW two times per year. That's a long time to wait to go back if we wait until they are "old enough." My mom and I talked about this the other night actually. Most people don't understand we vacation as much for ourselves as we do our children.

DS#1 was 9 mo when we took him the first time and 15 mo the second time. DS#2 will be 5 mo on our next scheduled trip. We like to travel and I want my babies with me!

We did a cruise in May when DS was 16 mo. A cranky old lady got on the elevator we were on, took one look at my DS and said, "He's not going to remember this." I just smiled and said, "But I am!" Lines I've come up with since then include....

"We just have so much money, though, that we have to waste it like this." (lots of sarcasm on that one, but oh well!)

or my favorite...

"At your age, you won't remember it for very long, either!" :rolleyes:

2 and 4 are perfect ages for Disney parks!!! Oh my... some people just love to interject their "advice" all over the place. All three of our children had their first experience at a Disney park before they were 1... my daughter was at DCA when she was 6 weeks old, for heavens sake, and we have a wonderful picture of her with Goofy. I LOVE it. Even though it's hard, just ignore the comments of others who think you shouldn't take them... when I hear this kind of stuff, I love to recall an advertising slogan from a few years ago... "take them while the magic is still real"... how very true.

:mad: I hear this all the time. We are taking our DD in a month, she'll be 13 months old. I've been to Disney a billion times, so I'm not hell bent on seeing and doing everything. I just want to relax, take it slow, and see Disney through my daughter's eyes...:wizard:

My reaction when people say, "Don't take her, she's too young," depends on my mood. Sometimes I cheerfully say, "Oh, we've been to Disney a lot, we know what to expect!"

If I'm feeling testy, I'll either ignore them, say "Our family, our choice," or say..."So maybe we should just stay home until she's 5, because she's not going to 'remember' anything before that anyway? Hm?"

I really don't get it. I mean...is the main point of Disney to "remember" it? I don't think so...for me at least...the point of Disney is to relax, have fun, laugh, and dream. Of course DD isn't going to remember it! That's not why we're going! :mad: We're going because we plan to have fun as a family, together.

I also don't get why so many RUDE people feel that they have every right to be so blatantly arrogant, to assume that a.) I want their advice about our vacation, and b.) I'll happily cancel my vacation because of their wise words. I would never knock someone else's vacation, but I hear it all the time. Even from my doctor - direct quote - "Don't do it, you'll regret it."

WTH?

Sorry, I guess this is a sore spot for me 'cause I've heard more than my share in the past few months. My advice - ignore them and maybe stick your tongue out at them when they walk away! :rolleyes1

I have heard this many times since I booked our first-ever family vacation for Jan. Our kids will be 2 & 4 when we go for 6 nights, 7 days to WDW. We are staying on the monorail at the Polynesian and plan to just take it easy and do what ever the kids want, no big plans or expectations.

Why do people ("friends & family") feel I want their opinion of what we should do? I NEVER ASKED! I told them about the trip, because we are excited!:banana:

I just had my friend tell me this for the second time today, and I am very irritated.

Any advice?

Just ignore, My first DS went to DL when he was 2 1/2, and we've been to Disney parks every year ever since. We now have 2 DS's now 4 & 8, just got back from out first trip to WDW, it was great!

We heard the same kinds of things- and we're hearing them again now that were planning a second trip! It kind of suprises us since we came home from the first trip with such wonderful stories and pictures! I would think that seeing a picture of my DD (who was 23 months at the time) wearing a look of awe while meeting Minnie Mouse would be enough to make my friends and relatives stop with the irritating remarks and advice, but nope!! So...we just ignore it! I don't even bother to state my opinion on the matter anymore. I just say "Oh, OK..." and change the subject. My DD will be 4 and my DS will be just 2 - perfect ages for OUR family vacation - and that's all that matters!!! :)

The heck with what any one says. Your kids are so NOT too young. What great ages to go! If we waited for all of our kids to be old enough to remember every trip we wouldn't have gone at all yet :sad1: . They will have such a great time at 2 and 4, the magic is so, just, well magical! The first time we went our kids were 3 years and 15 months. Had a blast. DD talked about our trip forever. Second time they were 4 and 2. Totally loved it and DD got over her shyness for the characters. Third time they were 5, 4, and 11 months (oh my we added another one!) Fourth trip, this October they will be 7, 5, 2 and 15 months (oh my goodness another one!!). For my older two I they remember a lot. They've been lucky enough to go so many times that I think they don't always remember which trip was which. But they have those memories so that's all that matters to me. And I have the memories from when they were really small.

Go to Disney, have an awsome trip, and when you get home just tell all those people how amazing it was and show them pictures until they are so sick of hearing about it that they will never bother you about going to Disney again. :lmao:

DS#1 was 9 mo when we took him the first time and 15 mo the second time. DS#2 will be 5 mo on our next scheduled trip. We like to travel and I want my babies with me!

We did a cruise in May when DS was 16 mo. A cranky old lady got on the elevator we were on, took one look at my DS and said, "He's not going to remember this." I just smiled and said, "But I am!" Lines I've come up with since then include....

"We just have so much money, though, that we have to waste it like this." (lots of sarcasm on that one, but oh well!)

or my favorite...

"At your age, you won't remember it for very long, either!" :rolleyes:

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2:

My girls were almost 2 and almost 4 on their first trip. We were there for 6-7?? days with 3 grandparents (they were a big help). My girls kind of fell apart one day because they weren't feeling well, so we just hung out that day.

This was the trip where my younger dd started her love affair with "Chip". Chip visited and re-visited our table at Chef Mickey's a few times and each time, my dd gave Chip a big hug and smiled SO much. We've gone back every year since (they'll turn 11 and 13 on our trip this year). We STILL talk about day at Chef Mickey's. Of course we have pictures and video. It was SO worth it to deal with the one cranky day to have the experiences of the week.

Enjoy!!

i got that from my brother the first time we took the girls - "They won't remember it" - darn it if they don't! DD#1 still talks about it and she was 2.5, DD#2 may not remember it but if & when she finds the photo album she carries it around for days and makes a huge fuss if you take it away - there was no taking it away for about a month after we got back - she even sleep with it most nights. We go again in a month DD#1(4.5) dd#2(almost3) and
DD#3 (9months when we go) again from him - why are you going the baby won't remember - I asked "so I have to wait until she will? I haven't gone on any vacation in 2 years, what about DH & me, don't we get to go?" My idea of vacation right now - going someplace DH & I love and letting my kids experience someplace they love too. This is coming from someone who goes camping every couple months, goes down to Cape Hatteras every year with his IL's and does tons of stuff he can't afford - is 5 yrs behind on his mortgage:scared1: (that in itself:scared1: - I can't believe he still has his house) My dad gets really annoyed that he never does anything with my parents and us - always the IL's. anyway -sorry to go off subject ----

Bottom line:
Go! Have fun! Take lots of pictures!

I hear that a lot too! I'm taking my 4 and 2 year old. We are really going for my 4 year old. If it wasn't for her we'd probably wait a couple years. This is a perfect time for her! And my son is obsessed with Mickey so that makes me feel better about taking him so young!

I have heard this many times since I booked our first-ever family vacation for Jan. Our kids will be 2 & 4 when we go for 6 nights, 7 days to WDW. We are staying on the monorail at the Polynesian and plan to just take it easy and do what ever the kids want, no big plans or expectations.

Why do people ("friends & family") feel I want their opinion of what we should do? I NEVER ASKED! I told them about the trip, because we are excited!:banana:

I just had my friend tell me this for the second time today, and I am very irritated.

Any advice?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter