WWYD Facebook Purchase

happily single

Left foot first!
What would you do? I recently joined a Facebook Clothing sale group. Women post photos of clothing for sale and you provide an email address to claim the item. I didn't read the rules. I just assumed they were the "normal" rules. Within a day or so I found a few items I wanted from one particular women. She emailed me the invoice, which was through Square. She also included sales tax. I thought both were "off" but it was a small amount so I paid via Square. The total was less than $50.00 . Within a few hours she sent me the Tracking Number for the item. After 3 days I tracked the item to find that UPS hadn't received it. I messaged her and she told me "sorry love, it will be sent in the morning". Three more days go by and I try the tracking again. Nothing. I email her again. No response. I message her on Facebook and no response.

Someone suggested I contact an Adminstator of the Page. She told me that 1. Sales are supposed to only go through Paypal and 2. Sales are not to include sales tax. Apparently there were a few other complaints about this seller. SHe was removed from the group. Then the Admin suggested I dispute the charge with Square. Square directed me to my credit card company, which refunded me the money.

Two weeks later I receive the package.

What would you do? At this point I'm not too sure she "did anything" to the clothing. To be clear, she never responded to any of my requests or acknowledged that I had disputed the charge. Should I notify my credit card company and let the charge go through? Should I try to pay her via paypal, or wait for her to contact me?

If you want the items I would let the refund come back to you and contact her to pay by PayPal ~ assuming the invoice was correct with tax added?
If she doesn’t respond then that is awkward.
You don’t want to have to pay to return the items but you don’t want her saying you received them and did not pay.
Sorry guess that’s not much help but protect yourself if she’s been iffy with others.
Good luck!

Sadly, the first part of your story is all too common with FB groups like that. That's why many of them require payment through paypal, because if you use the 'vendor' option (or whatever it's called) you have protection as a consumer. But I've not often heard that, after all of that, the package did indeed come through.

I guess you could reach out to her once and offer to 'repay' her (though without the sales tax added, since that's not allowed in the group) and through PayPal. If she doesn't respond again, then at least you tried.

^^ I agree just reverse the disputed charge and move on. I personally would never buy anything sold on social media, but perhaps a 'lessons learned' for the OP.

I would have no further contact with her since if she got banned on FB, likely has moved on to some other site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter