• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"You know he won't remember it" what do you say back?

We took my DS when he was 2 1/2 and then were going again the following year. When people would say to me "Why do you keep going there, how won't remember anything?", I'd chuckle and call my DS over and have this exchange:
Me: "What is your favorite ride at Disney World"
DS: "Peter Pan"
Me: "2nd and 3rd Favorite Rides?"
DS: "Buzz Lightyear and Little Mermaid"
Me: "Favorite Place to Eat"
DS: "Mickey Chef" (and yes that's what he calls it)
Me: "What ride do you not want to go back on again"
DS: "Haunted Mansion"

Usually shuts that person right up. In all honestly I'm shocked he remembered so much, but even if he didn't just seeing his face light up and run out of a ride line b/c he saw Peter Pan and Wendy walking down old Fantasyland to the character meet & greet spot made the entire trip for me. Never saw him so excited.

My now 4 year old will tell you all about her trip to Disney World at 2. I can remember stuff that happened to me at 2 and I'm 44 years old.

I think this question bothers me more than just about anything. The answers here are spot on but if you really want to shut someone down quickly ask if they know anyone who had a loved one suffer from dementia. Follow it up with did they stop visiting or caring for that loved one once their memory started to go. Just because the other person (young, old or somewhere in between) won't remember doesn't mean you shouldn't do the right thing, and the right thing is cherishing the time we have. I took my children to Disney at varying ages with the youngest being 5 months old. I cherished every moment I got to spend on each of those trips and would do it again in a heartbeat, just as I cherish every moment I have with my parents, wife, siblings, etc. Life is too short to not cherish the things that are dear to us.

I cherish the memories so much now of my three when they were super little at Disney. The way they would run to the characters when they were just learning to walk and cry when the fireworkds were over. These memories are even more special as mine are now 22 (and working there on the college program), 18 and 15. It started a wonderful family tradition that i will always think back on.

1) I will
2) that's what a camera is for
3) I barely remember when I went at 10, or 17, or 23

Here is just a general reply to people who offer unsolicited advice or comments: "Thank you for your concern for my family." Then just go on with your life. It generally shuts people up.
"Oh honey, that baby looks cold...Thank you for your concern for my family."
"Sugar makes my kids hyper...Thank you for your concern for my family."
"They won't even remember going to Disney...Thank you for your concern for my family."

Okay I can see the others, but the first one? Really? You don't want people to actually care about your kid?

I did some dementia training yesterday and we discussed emotional memory and apparently we remember emotions in our Amygdala (sounded too Star Wars like to me ) and whilst he might not remember the actual visit he'll remember the feelings he experienced there and we never lose our emotional memory.

"The greatest gift in these discoveries is the knowledge that every loving moment we share with our children, from the very beginning, will stay with them for life." http://nospank.net/grille5.htm

I love all these replies!
Thank you!
We are so so excited to go back with our son.
And my mother in law is the one who says it the most, but MY mom is coming with us to have the experience with her grandson.
So, I love my mother in law but it's her loss!

We've been going annually since our son was seven months old. He is four now, and he remembers previous trips. Besides, like everyone says, they are free before three years old anyway!

We are heading back to our happy place at the end of January and this time we will be taking our then 2 year old for the first time!!!!
So excited!
But honestly I can't stand that everyone tells us that our son won't remember the trip.
What do you say back when people say that??

Also, I think we're planning our trip with our will be 22mo at the same time!

Our then 2 & 3 year olds (1995) don't remember their first visit, but Mom & Dad sure do and the photos from then are priceless.

"Are you suggesting I leave my two-year-old at home while we go on vacation? No, thanks, I like to keep the family together."

I usually just give them my "are you @#$%*ing kidding me?!" face. The question is so stupid it doesn't merit an answer. Even the energy necessary to make that face is a waste of energy.

My parents took me before I was 3 and while I don't have any memories of the trip but I do have a bunch of pictures and we made some great memories that my parents still tell me about today.

We also took my brother before he was 3. Yet again lots of great memories. And while he doesn't quite remember anything I did so I was able to tell him things like my parents told me. One of them was his fascination with the "jumping water" over at EPCOT. We would tell him about it so it made him feel like he could remember. And when I took him last month on a sibling trip we had some fun playing with the "jumping water" he had enjoyed nearly 17 years before.

I always feel if you have the means (even if you're not planning another trip right away) to go back then taking a toddler aged child would be a great experience (and their free to boot). You can always bring them back when their older so they can make more memories.

Okay I can see the others, but the first one? Really? You don't want people to actually care about your kid?
I was thinking complete strangers who don't know anything about my baby or how much or little clothes she needs. My DD was rather warm natured and didn't like her hats. :)

Two year olds don't remember details about anything, but we still do things with them, duh. I took both my kids at age 1, they both had a ball and WE remember it all!!! People just like to down Disney

I never understood that argument. I mean, if the only reason to do things with babies/kids is because they will consciously remember it, we might as well just stuff them in a closet with a feeding tube attached for the first year or two. If they aren't going to remember you rocking them, singing to them, feeding them, etc, why bother??? By that logic anyway.

Just because they don't retain specific memories doesn't mean they aren't learning. Exposing them to new things, sharing quality bonding time with them - these are things that affect them on a much more fundamental level, even if they don't "remember" it.

I totally agree. But I think when people say babies/toddlers are "too young" and "won't remember", they are coming from the premise that WDW is a once in a childhood trip. And let's face it, for most people, it is. For those, I agree, 2 is a little young and it is more "worth it" to wait until they are at least 4-5 so they can do more/remember more. I waited until my kids were 7/8 because I thought we would only go 1x or 2x. If we had only gone once like I expected, that was the perfect age.

Now that we are obsessed and go every year, I regret not taking them when they were younger.

Now granted even many ppl who go very frequently say this. But I think it's partly their going along with the prevailing thought that it is a once in a childhood trip and partly the fact that some families do find the thought of traveling with babies/toddlers a lot of work.

Last edited:
What do you say back when people say that??

Our DS is 8 and has been every year of his life, starting at 9 months. We heard that a number of times and my answer was always the same "we'll remember how much fun he had"

My parents took me for the first time at 18 months. Do I remember it? No, does my dad? Yes, and he still talks about it. We brought our daughter at 9 months and we will bringing her again in 2 days this time with my father... Talk about that memory! Honestly I tell people who cares? I don't remember every little detail of my life, and I don't expect her to either, but I'm sure the pictures will always help to jog her memory. Plus, for us at least, we will be back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter