"You know he won't remember it" what do you say back?

Several things. Both of our DDs went to WDW many times before age 3 for so many reasons.

1) They are free under 3. This is the first year I have to buy four APs, and that is a painful bill.
2) We're making family memories and taking more pictures than you can shake a stick at. Older DD loves to look back at her pictures from early trips and see how WDW has changed. We also take the same picture ever year in from of EE and it's such a fun way to see how everyone has evolved.
3) They actually do seem to remember the trips. Last September, I was on the boat ride in Mexico. DD had just turned two in June. AS we were riding, she said, "Oh this is the one with the fireworks at the end." We had been to WDW in late May, so this was a memory she kept from four months back. And this wasn't something she remembered because we kept discussing it. I can't think of any context in which I would have mentioned the "firework" lights on the ceiling of the boat ride. It was totally and completely something in her memory.
4) My mother always says, "Begin as you mean to go on." We started our girls early on travel generally and WDW specifically, and they both love to travel so much and are amazing travelers. Just last weekend, younger DD asked if we could go to WDW that day. She's got a bad case of the Disney Fever.
5) I will never forget taking the bus back to AKV when we were staying in a Savanna view at Kidani. DD was 15 months, and she grabbed my face and looked right into my eyes and said, "Annn-eee-mals" in a way that made it very clear that she wanted that bus to hurry up and get back to the resort so she could see the animals from the balcony.
6) It's fun

Ahh we're taking a shorter trip this year because we can't get much leave and were considering splurging for Savannah View at animal kingdom with our will be 20 month old. I'm taking you recommend it?

We leave tomorrow and it will be our DS4's 5th trip I believe. When people ask me I tell them I will remember and I know he is having fun and whether he remembers the exact moment or not he will always think of Disney and think of happiness and fun. For what it's worth, we went this May and in July he said "I miss Mickey...when are we going back to Disney World?"

Uh Oh!! What did PP say, start how you want to finish. Now you have to go FOREVER!!

Life isn't primarily about the memories. It's about the moments.

BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for that inspiration.

Also, I've been reflecting on it. I think the "remember" thing comes mainly from the same people who gave us grief when we went just the 2.5 of us. They also think it's weird to go with teenagers or as a honeymoon. Pretty much you should only go if someone in your party is between the ages of 6-10.

I took my oldest at 18 months and my youngest's first trip is next week (20 months). It's simple, "It's none of your business and you aren't paying for it." This will be my oldest son's 4th trip and honestly the trip that has meant the very most to my husband and I was the very first one we took him on. It was just so magical for him.

My youngest son was almost 10 months old the first time we took him to MK. On our way out that evening we saw Pluto meeting by Town Hall and he pointed at him and said very clearly for the first time "dog". I think that was his 3rd word. Does he remember it? No! But I sure do! And actually that's why we're going to stay again in Feb. because the last time we stayed he was only 2.5 and he has seen the picture book and said to me recently, "I don't remember that." So now he will turn 7 during our trip and I'm hoping he will remember that for a long time to come. We took him on his first cruise at 6 months. My children are more well travelled than many adults I know. We won't waste a moment with them making memories because let's face it, no one is guaranteed tomorrow, and I want no regrets. My grandpa isn't here to make this stay with us and I could never regret taking the last trip with him even if my son doesn't remember it. They are memories we will always cherish. So if you really want to shut them up just say, "Well,we want to seize the day. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow so we will not put off what we can do today." That's probably the diplomatic way to get your point across but if the person is really obnoxious you can say the same sentiment with a little more shock value!

When someone says this to me I say you're right he won't remember. That doesn't stop me. We love to travel and enjoy the trips we've taken with DS5 and now DS1. Disney is our thing. We are DVC members and AP holders. Not everyone will understand but to each their own! Enjoy your trip! We will be there in Jan as well with DS1 (15 months).

You will remenber this for the rest of your life. We took our son for his first trip he was 2, we took a lot of pictures and filmed with the videocamera (that was 20 years ago). He looked at the video and pictures so many times when we were back that I guess it stayed in his mind... We toom him back and our daughter more than 15 times and it is still a special moment, but nothing compared to the first time our son saw Baloo and our daughter saw Belle...

Ahh we're taking a shorter trip this year because we can't get much leave and were considering splurging for Savannah View at animal kingdom with our will be 20 month old. I'm taking you recommend it?

Definitely. We'd never done AKV before, because we thought it was too far from the other parks. After that trip in October 2013, we decided to go again in June 2014. DD loved it just as much the second time. We don't do it every time, because we do prefer some of the other locations, but with a toddler, you can't beat it. By the June trip, she knew the names of all of the animals she could see from the balcony, including Ankole cattle (which she pronounced "ankle cattle"). Even if we aren't staying at AKV, we try to stop in there for dinner at Sanaa or just to see the view of the animals from the lobby.

I never said this, but I DID think people were crazy to take babies and pay all that money for them! I had NEVER been so I didn't know they were free. (I am a frugal lady.) Never had any desire to go either. BUT once I found out they were free under 3, I decided to take my daughter to see if we like it before I actually have to pay for her....of course we are going back in October. LOL!

She remembers some stuff, but I don't care. Like everything else I do for her, I remember it.

We are heading back to our happy place at the end of January and this time we will be taking our then 2 year old for the first time!!!!
So excited!
But honestly I can't stand that everyone tells us that our son won't remember the trip.
What do you say back when people say that??
Like many have said you and your husband will remember it and will have the best pics of your sweet 2yr old's 1st trip to Disney! we took our dd when she was 2, we were standing in line @ MK for daisy's autograph and she had to leave to go get some duck juice. we went back when she was 4, and the first thing she said when we walked past that spot, "daisy had to go get some duck juice" uh huh, she did! looking thru our home videos the other day, we watched her 1st trip and they were just adorable and now @ 15, she loves looking back when she was little. we live life like it's our last day, no regrets, do it now! have a magical trip and take lots of pics and video!

What everyone else said... :) Have fun. Every age is fantastic, enjoy them all. My wife and I took my son and daughter when they were 3.5+ and 1.5+, respectively, in January 1990. People said the same thing to us and we didn't listen. :) We had SO MUCH FUN had great experiences and have great memories. AND everything was totally real to them both. We have had five long trips and a number of short trips since then. Both kids are Disney nuts and now Disney is our every 2 years family reunion. I am leaving in 3 weeks to go stay at the campground. My son now 29 and my daughter now 27, along with her boyfriend, planned the trip and we are tagging along. They are all staying at Port Orleans - French Quarter!

"they're free under three--i'd be a fool NOT to go!"

really, I'd just explain that this is the family vacation we chose, we can't wait to see his face when experiencing the magic at this age, and we'll take lots of pictures of the memories!

if people have to ask, they probably don't really get Disney anyway.

THIS. Some of YOUR best memories of your child or children are those that they can't remember. Their birth, milestones, etc. Does that make them any less special?

I can't stand when people say that. We took DD when she was 3 and she thought that everything was real and was amazed-- that magical perspective that kids have ends sooner than we would like. I have so many great memories from that trip!

DD (who will be 5 in November) and our younger DD who will be 11 months are headed back in October and I can't wait!!!

All the PPs who point out that the parents will remember it, and the child will enjoy it in the moment are spot on?

I got irritated about that comment too, but I've been pondering while reading his thread and I think it comes from a few causes:

1) as others have said, many assume WDW is a once-in-a-lifetime trip and therefore toddlerhood isn't the "right" time

2) many don't know kids are free under 3. That's specifically how I timed my first three family trips - just before each of my kids turned 3 - old enough to have a blast while costing me nothing!

3) I think non-Disney lovers don't understand that for folks like us, it's tons of fun for the parents!! I think they believe it's like a kiddie event at home where it is "only" for a child (like a 2 year old's bday party - you bring your kid, but it's no fun for *you*) They don't understand that I enjoy seeing Disney through my child's eyes AND I just flat out enjoy it for me! I suppose it would seem foolish or wasteful if the assumption is that the only person having fun is a baby who would have been equally happy at home in a sandbox.

I agree with all above. I feel like those who say this do not really get Disney. First, when it is not the once-in-a-lifetime trip, why would you not go when your children are young. Most people also don't realize that Disney done right does not cost more than any other vacation once you figure in the cost of travel, lodging, transportation, food, and entertainment. I also think people who ask this question also believe that you are only going to Disney on vacation for your child and that you would not have chosen this as your vacation if it was not for him/her. Since that is also not true for most people on these boards, I think we all find it hard to understand the reason behind the question.

We were asked this when we took DS (2.5) last summer. We LOVED taking him at this age. He talks about the trip all the time. Plus, we will forever cherish the memories and pictures we have. I was just having this conversation with my Mom who is wanting to take a Disney Cruise. Since we are planning on expanding our family, she asked if we should wait until all of our children are old enough to enjoy it. I told her absolutely not. If we live life waiting for the perfect moment, it just might pass us by.

We have tons of video from my now DS15 and his brother DS9 from their first birthdays at Crystal Palace to their last rides on SDMT. ALL PRICELESS. They love to see the pics, scrapbooks and videos of our past trips. Enjoy every minute and take lots of photos and video.

We are heading back to our happy place at the end of January and this time we will be taking our then 2 year old for the first time!!!!
So excited!
But honestly I can't stand that everyone tells us that our son won't remember the trip.
What do you say back when people say that??

He may not, but you will. We took our youngest when he was 15 months old. Seeing the look of wonder on his face as each character came around at CP or Chef Mickey, watching him laugh and spread chocolate all over his face so he looked like a miniature candy coated William Wallace, were all priceless memories. Furthermore, when you take him back the next time, there will be a brand new set of awe and wonder as he will be older and really be able to process it all for the first time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter