"You know he won't remember it" what do you say back?

We are heading back to our happy place at the end of January and this time we will be taking our then 2 year old for the first time!!!!
So excited!
But honestly I can't stand that everyone tells us that our son won't remember the trip.
What do you say back when people say that??

'I'll remember it.'
Plus there will be the pictures.

We were just talking the other day about their first trip and dragged out the old album from the eighties with the pictures of us riding the train, 20000 Leagues under the Sea, the sky ride - great memories! Older daughter had some memory; son not a thing but could see he was a part of a great time.

I'm in the exact same position since I want to take my DS at 2 and a half next year. (this year would have been great but DH had no vacation days left) I just say- 'he'll enjoy and I'll remember'. :) In the end, it doesn't really matter what other people think, it's still your decision in the end. Disney caters to this sort of thing, I'm sure there's plenty to do even at that age!

My own teenagers (the youngest 2, no less) said this on the last trip we all took together...
They thought that taking small children to Disneyland was a waste, because "it costs a lot of money and they don't even remember it or appreciate it"...
I asked them at what age it became "worth it", and they agreed that it was 10 or older.

Well, I quickly told them that we weren't spending the money solely for their enjoyment, but that as parents, we want the memories for ourselves: the look of wonder when they saw the parade, or met Mickey, or saw the fireworks... Or their giggle when they were spinning the tea cups... or how they would sing-along to Pirates or Small World. Of course, we hoped they'd remember some of it... But ultimately it was for the overall fun of the moment, which as parents, we would remember.

Wow so many snarky replies!

We always found that when people asked that it was nicely and curiously...they just didn't realize that WDW was loved by adults too they just thought it was a place to take your kids so it is perfectly reasonable to wonder why take a kid that won't remember. I used to think that too...that's why I waited until my youngest was 3 or 4 before went with the five kids. Well, that and I didn't feel like changing diapers/doing bottles/dealing with naps etc.

of course I don't think that now. I can have a great time at WDW without any kids at all. In fact now that they are teens many days I would prefer it. lol.

"He wont' remember it, but I will"

Let face it, our kids don't really remember much of anything from the infant and toddler (and even much of the preschool years). Yet we still celebrate birthdays and holidays with them. We still take them to the zoo, we sing songs to them. If we are only going to do the things that they will remember, we'd have to just leave them sitting in a corner somewhere for years. They might not remember the things we do and the places we go, but everyone else around them will remember it. And just because baby might not remember the trip later in life doesn't mean that he or she won't enjoy it in the here and now.

Disney is the only vacation where that question gets asked it seems. I think most people who don't love Disney like we do think that it is just a vacation for kids. So why go if your kid will not remember it?
Well I loved Disney long before I was a parent and love it even more now that I am. That joy and delight on my children's face whether at 2 or 5 or 13, that's why I'm going!
If they don't get Disney or already love it as an adult they won't probably understand. But I bet one day they just might

I know what you mean! We travel heavily with our daughter and have since she was born. She will be three in December, and she's already been to WDW twice (we're going a third time in December!), Disneyland once, and Aulani once. I've gotten so many comments on how she won't remember a thing (even though she TOTALLY does) so why waste the money, etc. To that, I just respond that we take family trips for the memories and good times together, and even if she doesn't remember, we sure will!

Enjoy and have fun! It's so special to see the little ones at Disney - it's a totally fun and new experience to view the parks through toddler eyes!

This statement is my BIGGEST pet peeve. We are taking our 1-year old daughter next month - I've been planning the trip for a year and I can't even count how many times I've heard "she won't remember it". If one more person says that to me, I'm going to blow. Yes, this trip is for us to make memories with our daughter that we can capture in photos. Like many previous posters said, if the argument is that she won't remember it, why do anything with them in the 1st few years?? I have been "prepping" my daughter for months, watching Frozen and introducing her to characters. She already smiles and laughs everytime she sees Olaf and Sophia the First. I understand a Disney vacation is costly but many of us consider them a priority and go multiple times - why not spend family time together at the happiest place on earth??? I for one am so excited to see my daughter on It's A Small World and ride the monorail for the 1st time, and squeeze Mickey Mouse's nose. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it and these are moments I have been waiting my whole life for. Don't let a negative nelly bring you down - you do what is right for your family!!!

My 3 have been going since birth and i've heard that remark many, many times. It always annoyed be, but my answer (like most PP) was always, "but I will." I'll never forget the look on DS's face when he saw Mickey when he was 2. One of my favorite moments!

Have a great time and take lots of pictures! Just make sure you take your kids back to Disney again -- because this won't count as the trip of the lifetime.

I remember my parents used to make the argument, "you don't need to go to Hawaii. you've already been to Hawaii! we took you when you were 2!" They did have the pictures to prove it, but were baffled that I wasn't more appreciative. :rotfl2:

We are heading back to our happy place at the end of January and this time we will be taking our then 2 year old for the first time!!!!
So excited!
But honestly I can't stand that everyone tells us that our son won't remember the trip.
What do you say back when people say that??

When people told me this last year I told them he had a very sharp memory and he would enjoy the experience anyways. Lo and behold he remembered quite a bit of the experience and he was about 2.5 at the time we went. I asked him if he was excited about going back to Disney World(this is like 8 months later) and he says "and I get to eat cereal with Pooh". He was talking about breakfast at Crystal Palace and hadn't previously indicated he remembered it. We never mentioned it to him either.

He may not remember his first visit in a few years but he remembered it for over a year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter