You’ll never get me on a cruise. Unless it’s to ALASKA! Recap and New PTR Link! 2/1

OH - I can't wait to see your pics! sounds like an awesome day with a bit of a hectic rush there at the end!

It always is with us (hectic at the end :rotfl:)

Great pics - great scenery. And all the boys looks so handsome all dressed up and ready to go. Love the matching ties. Love the family pic!

they clean up ok :goodvibes

Loved the formal shot !!Your dress is stunning and all3 boys look great!!!

Thanks Rosie! I do kind of wish we'd gotten shots as it's a great dress and you can't really see much of it but oh well, the boys look good :) Now I just need to frame it.

What a great day at sea you had!

A morning stroll, a couple of movies, a conscience-clearing workout (too bad about the collateral damage) and a wonderful dinner with your family- you guys look great all dressed up. And not to forget the very best part, a book, a lounger and a beer surrounded by amazing scenery. And WHALES! I believe you!!!

how many beers did you have?

The verandah pictures of the boys with the beautiful mountains in the background are fantastic, and I see they both managed great smiles in the dinner photo.

What a beautiful family photo! You all look fanastic. Wow! The cruise sounds like so much fun with so much to do. I'm glad that your tablemates worked out so well and that the kids had a good time. We really want to do an Alaskan cruise someday and if I have anything to say about it, it WILL be on a Disney ship! :rotfl:

Great update! You are making me want to go on a cruise again. Formal night is always so much fun! Your family picture was beautiful. Definitely frame-worthy! Both boys were looking at the camera at the same time.

Who would think that being late to a movie would be a big deal on a cruise? :confused3 There are so many things to do on a ship, and everyone goes to the movie? That's funny.

Cynthia, I can't begin to tell you how much I am enjoying your Alaskan cruise! It just sounds so fun and relaxing -- how neat that you were able to see whales even though they proved as elusive as my dolphins for photos :laughing:! The formal night picture is gorgeous! Did you like The Help? It is one of my favorite books of all-time, but I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet -- did it live up to the novel?

What a great day at sea you had!

A morning stroll, a couple of movies, a conscience-clearing workout (too bad about the collateral damage) and a wonderful dinner with your family- you guys look great all dressed up. And not to forget the very best part, a book, a lounger and a beer surrounded by amazing scenery. And WHALES! I believe you!!!

It was a great day at sea, I couldn't have asked for anything more!

how many beers did you have?

Just one :rotfl: Not sure about Jeff though, he might have had one while we were at Winnie the Pooh, I can't recall.

The verandah pictures of the boys with the beautiful mountains in the background are fantastic, and I see they both managed great smiles in the dinner photo.

So many pretty views off of that verandah, I was SO glad we did it and thrilled with our location.

What a beautiful family photo! You all look fanastic. Wow! The cruise sounds like so much fun with so much to do. I'm glad that your tablemates worked out so well and that the kids had a good time. We really want to do an Alaskan cruise someday and if I have anything to say about it, it WILL be on a Disney ship! :rotfl:

I'm really glad we did it with Disney. I'm sure it would have been fine on other ships but I'm just not sure the demographic would have been the same. We were surrounded by adults our age and kids our kids ages and even though we maybe didn't interact as much with others as we thought we might, it created the perfect atmosphere that was SO comfortable for us! We've talked about it and Jeff would do it again, but only on Disney!

I do think Alaska will be hard to beat though. Buy early when they release dates before rates go through the roof.

Great update! You are making me want to go on a cruise again. Formal night is always so much fun! Your family picture was beautiful. Definitely frame-worthy! Both boys were looking at the camera at the same time.

Formal night was fun, just "formal" enough for us. I do need to get that picture into a frame!

Who would think that being late to a movie would be a big deal on a cruise? :confused3 There are so many things to do on a ship, and everyone goes to the movie? That's funny.

Well, since they are first run movies I can see it, both had just come out. Still though, you get so used to previews etc that even late, the movie has never actually started! It was amazing how crowded the movies were every time we went.

Cynthia, I can't begin to tell you how much I am enjoying your Alaskan cruise! It just sounds so fun and relaxing -- how neat that you were able to see whales even though they proved as elusive as my dolphins for photos :laughing:!

Very elusive, to the point that I stopped trying and just enjoyed the second of spotting them we'd get. It was very fun and relaxing!!!

The formal night picture is gorgeous! Did you like The Help? It is one of my favorite books of all-time, but I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet -- did it live up to the novel?

I did like the movie, as did Jeff who hadn't read the book. When I saw the movie I was unfortunately only about 1/2-2/3 though the book and while I noticed some differences, they were not detracting, to me, a few beneficial. After the movie, I finished the book and noted more changes which were a bit more substantial. Did they hurt the movie? Perhaps, a little, but for those who hadn't read the book, probably not.

The acting is absolutely suberb across the board. I would definitely recommend seeing it. You will notices the changes but overall you'll still enjoy the movie I think.

Cynthia! How are you?
I need to catch up.
I see you have a cruise on the Dream planned. Are you spending any time at WDW? We may be there the same time next summer. :goodvibes

Hi Jennifer!!!

Cynthia! How are you?
I need to catch up.
I see you have a cruise on the Dream planned. Are you spending any time at WDW? We may be there the same time next summer. :goodvibes

Well, it's not a for sure trip. Right now we have a 4 day Dream on the 1st of August booked. We may end up moving that to a Med for 2013 once those dates and rates are released. If not we will probably combine it with either beach (Vero) or Key West but probably skip WDW. Guessing we will decide by Thanksgiving.

I'd rather do the Magic in April but it just doesn't work with Kendall's schedule, August is not our favorite time to be down there by a longshot and the early august prices give me heart palpitations but it may well be the only time we can get any vacation with her.

So...we will see! Don't you go a little later than that?

I'm here!!! I have go back and read but I'm sooo excited to read all about your cruise!!!!

All caught up Cynthia!!

First, your pictures from Whistler are amazing! One day I'm going to come visit you and make you take me on a tour of all the splendor of the Northwest!

Next, what an amazing start to your cruise!!! It looks just wonderful, fabulous and beautiful!!

I can't wait to read more and see more amazing pictures!!

All caught up Cynthia!!

First, your pictures from Whistler are amazing! One day I'm going to come visit you and make you take me on a tour of all the splendor of the Northwest!

You should!!!!!!!!!

Next, what an amazing start to your cruise!!! It looks just wonderful, fabulous and beautiful!!

I can't wait to read more and see more amazing pictures!!

Thanks! More coming soon!!!

It was hard to believe but it was already day 3 of our cruise! Today was a day we’d been looking forward to for months, Tracy Arm. Arising I decided to capture our favorite towel animal of the week, he’d been hanging on the divider when we returned from the movie.

P8253529.jpg

IMG_7950.jpg

We found a new spot for him and he stayed with us for the rest of the week (though we did take the sunglasses back, they were needed). Today was brunch day! We’d all slept in, it had been a late night and a long but wonderful first full day. Fully rested with no creaking overnight we decided to just have coffee in the room and get everyone ready to go. Our reservation was for 10:30 and that’s when Beach Blanket Buffet closed so we needed to get everyone moving. We needed to move quickly as we really wanted to see the Naturalist presentation, that would tell us a lot about what we’d be seeing later that day.

Though we didn’t have a ton of time, we still had to check out the morning from our verandah and enjoy at least one cup of joe. Thankfully room service was lightening fast with our hot water, which worked great for me. Unfortunately though I’d ordered tea the previous day at their suggestion and we’d received cream and sugar, today there was no cream to be had so another call was made. Thankfully, for Jeff, they were very quick with the cream as well.

P8253530.jpg

P8253531.jpg

P8253535.jpg

Clearly we weren’t near icebergs and glaciers yet, and wouldn’t be for some time.

Still, a very nice way to have that first cup of coffee!

P8253541.jpg

P8253542.jpg

As is our usual, we were a little late due to hear the naturalist due to the combination of needing a cup of coffee, and getting dressed for brunch. He was wonderful!!!!!!!!! We learned quite a bit, in fact Evan recalled enough to use some of what he learned for his first science homework of the year which was kind of cool! We did have to leave a little early to get people fed before things shut down or we were late to Palo. Amazingly we got the kids to BBB and then headed to Palo with almost 5 minutes to spare. I didn’t realize when I made the ressie that Palo is literally only open for brunch for 1 hour, with 10 being the first reservation and apparently 11:30 the last, at least on Tracy Arm day on the Wonder, according to our server. After that it’s High Tea and then Dinner. I had no idea that 10:30 was the earliest and we were surprised to arrive to find closed doors and even more surprised to find ourselves first in line!

I confess. I didn’t take pictures. I meant to, really I did, and I had my camera with me but…no pictures. And no photographer walking around so sadly none of you get to see my cute dress. LOL!

Brunch was AMAZING. On so so many levels. The room itself is gorgeous, with stunning stunning views. At the back of the ship we were treated to humpback whale sightings throughout our meal and were lucky enough to have a prime window table. I think we counted 5 sightings, most with more than one whale. The buffet, by itself, is enough to feed an army and feed it well. But the entrée’s, oh, how we wished we’d had less buffet and ordered two entrees each! I had eggs florentine (egg actually, just one) and Jeff had a frittata. Absolutely devine, as was the little mini pot de crème at the end. If you have the chance to do Palo brunch, DO IT! I forced the issue, Jeff had been very lukewarm on the idea and he was in complete agreement with how devine it was. If I had anything to nitpick at all, there would be 2 small things. First, you are offered a mimosa or champagne (sparkling wine) upon being seated, compliments (not really, $20 a glass if you count the surcharge lol). However at no point were we asked if we’d like another, or any other brunchy type drink like a bloody mary. This seems like lost revenue to me, as we’d have had another had we been asked. Second, the service was good but not as outstanding as I’d have expected with the reputation and surcharge. It was good, no specific issues, but often it felt like we had to wait longer than we wanted to order more coffee, or to place our entrée order. It was almost too unobtrusive. During brunch the kids called on the wave phone, they were done with breakfast . While I felt odd having the phone out in a restaurant such as Palo, the reality was that they needed to check in after they ate breakfast and tell us what they were up to. They had LOVED their breakfast, for some reason they think BBB is just the ultimate for breakfast and had loved getting to fly solo. They wanted to go back and watch cartoons I think and since we were still at brunch, we let them. I did try to take one picture from our table but…you can’t remotely tell how great the view was! Nor can you see any whales.

P8253547.jpg

After our brunch, met up with the boys at the room to get them away from the TV. They decided to go for a swim. Big surprise! With the boys now occupied for at least an hour and the room to ourselves, we managed to find something to do.

Afterwards we decided a walk was in order, we’d enjoyed our little one mile trot so much the previous day we decided to do it again. The boys checked in, they wanted to see Gnomeo and Juliet which worked perfectly for timing, it would get out just as we entered Tracy Arm and we wanted to all be together for that.

But first we checked out the view from our verandah

It felt like we were barely moving…except for the wind!

P8253550.jpg

We were definitely getting closer to snow, and glaciers!

P8253553.jpg

And…icebergs! Ok, they aren’t bergs, more like giant floating cubes. Did you know that glacier ice melts a lot slower? The ultimate drink chiller (and food storage). More on that later in the trip.

P8253558.jpg

P8253561.jpg

P8253562.jpg

At this point though really, they were few and far between

P8253565.jpg

Finally heading out for our walk, I ditched the bigger camera but Jeff brought the small point and shoot. Before we even started walking, we took a picture, the hills started to seem a bit closer to the ship.

IMG_7954.jpg

People were starting to stake out spots on deck for the day and a nice couple next to us at the railing asked us to take a picture of then, so we did. They then offered to take one of us. DOH, we are so bad at asking! So, thank you nice couple!

IMG_7955.jpg

We kept strolling

IMG_7956.jpg

IMG_7958.jpg

IMG_7959.jpg

And managed to spot a certain fashonista making her getaway. Where she was going to I’ve no idea, probably to the lobby for photo’s but I managed to convince her to pose with me and tried to keep the wind from blowing my hair into her face.

IMG_7960.jpg

I’d like her wardrobe. Jeff only took ONE shot so I don’t have her full outfit to share but it is so darn cute!

Strolling for a little more we enjoyed seeing the gushing streams and mini waterfalls

IMG_7962.jpg

We also ran back in to the same couple who had cut through the middle of the ship to the side we were on. They promised us they weren’t stalkers.

We started to see more ice

IMG_7965.jpg

More Blue Ice, specifically

IMG_7966.jpg

Really doesn’t look like the ship should fit, does it?

IMG_7967.jpg

This one however, seemed to be doing just fine

P8253587.jpg

It was now a little after 3 and time to head back, find some E’s, put on another layer and get ready to see some glaciers!

Wonderful update! Minnie is indeed very cute in her Alaskan outfit! :thumbsup2

And by the end of your update you had me all excited about Tracey's Arm and then the update ended!! :scared1:

Very beautiful scenery up there... I am starting to think that DCL and Alaska sound like a wonderful combination... :rolleyes1

You had an amazing morning! Your brunch at Palo sounds wonderful- great food and a beautful setting and view and nice company.

Nice keepsake photo of you two. No I mean you and Minnie! (The one of you with Jeff is good too) :)

Once again, beautiful scenery- seeing the floating cubes probably got you excited about the glaciers you would be seeing soon.

But I'm starting to be skeptical that you are going to share photos of whales with us. Prove me wrong!

What a beautiful start to a day! I so want to do an Alaskan cruise! :banana:

Loving the pictures!!! I have to agree with you Minnie's outfit is to die for!! I want one of those jackets!!!!!!

Glad you had a good brunch and the kids enjoyed BBB!! I so can't wait for my first Disney cruise!!!

Ahhhhh...icebergs! I remember those!!!! I use to love taking the all day cruises out of Seward and seeing how huge icebergs can really be!!!!

Love the trip report!! My family and extended family did an Alaska cruise on Norwegian in July of this year. I really wanted to go DCL- but they wouldn't go for it.:rolleyes1 NCL was fine, the scenery was stunning- loved Glacier Bay!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter