You’ll never get me on a cruise. Unless it’s to ALASKA! Recap and New PTR Link! 2/1

Wonderful update! Minnie is indeed very cute in her Alaskan outfit! :thumbsup2

It was very authentic...more on that later in the trip too lol! She was just adorable.

And by the end of your update you had me all excited about Tracey's Arm and then the update ended!! :scared1:

Very beautiful scenery up there... I am starting to think that DCL and Alaska sound like a wonderful combination... :rolleyes1

Sorry about that! Between Jeff and I we have almost 300 pictures for our Tracy Arm day and that's after deletions! It was too much for one update and I'm off to a girls weekend tomorrow and knew I wouldn't have time to get the monster update up so at least wanted to do the morning. DCL and Alaska is a wonderful combo!

You had an amazing morning! Your brunch at Palo sounds wonderful- great food and a beautful setting and view and nice company.

I can't say enough great things about the brunch

Nice keepsake photo of you two. No I mean you and Minnie! (The one of you with Jeff is good too) :)

I really like the one of the two of us but Minnie is pretty fab

Once again, beautiful scenery- seeing the floating cubes probably got you excited about the glaciers you would be seeing soon.

But I'm starting to be skeptical that you are going to share photos of whales with us. Prove me wrong!

Well that would imply that I caught the suckers on film....you'll just have to wait and see! the floating cubes were exciting.

What a beautiful start to a day! I so want to do an Alaskan cruise! :banana:

It was a lovely lovely morning and early afternoon

Beautiful pictures Cynthia. The scenery is just awesome.

thanks!

Loving the pictures!!! I have to agree with you Minnie's outfit is to die for!! I want one of those jackets!!!!!!

I wish you could see her boots, they were wonderful!

Glad you had a good brunch and the kids enjoyed BBB!! I so can't wait for my first Disney cruise!!!

Ahhhhh...icebergs! I remember those!!!! I use to love taking the all day cruises out of Seward and seeing how huge icebergs can really be!!!!

My cousins had a place in Seward, very sad I never made it up there while they had it. You will love your cruise!

Love the trip report!! My family and extended family did an Alaska cruise on Norwegian in July of this year. I really wanted to go DCL- but they wouldn't go for it.:rolleyes1 NCL was fine, the scenery was stunning- loved Glacier Bay!!

I am really glad we did DCL but others can be significantly more reasonable and I can see why people would choose other lines, both for cost and other reasons. It was perfect for us though. I have heard Glacier Bay is amazing, DCL doesn't go there and that is one of the complaints people have. I have nothing to compare it to and was thrilled with what we did see.

Shockingly I did read your update BEFORE I left for work this morning. It was wonderful. Breakfast / brunch sounds amazing. The scenery there looks spectacular. And those mini-icebergs have titanic written all over them. :rotfl2:

sorry - it just be really weird to see that in August!!!!!! As much as I would like the cruise to the Bahamas, I have to say that something about going north is very intriquing!

We are some of those people looking at other lines for the Alaska cruise because of cost, but it's so hard to pass up Disney, Palo brunch...We shall see.
I love your pictures - it's really beautiful. What did I hear about why the icebergs are blue? I think it was from Pete on DIS unplugged podcast.

Shockingly I did read your update BEFORE I left for work this morning. It was wonderful.

That IS shocking! It means you actually got to see the pictures :rotfl:

Breakfast / brunch sounds amazing. The scenery there looks spectacular. And those mini-icebergs have titanic written all over them. :rotfl2:

Just wait! I hear you on the titanic analogy...would have been freaky at night I think in some parts you'll see a bit later and we were at the tail end of the season so lots less in the water than there is for the May/june cruises.

sorry - it just be really weird to see that in August!!!!!! As much as I would like the cruise to the Bahamas, I have to say that something about going north is very intriquing!

You would LOVE it. And come back with 1400+ pictures as I did.

We are some of those people looking at other lines for the Alaska cruise because of cost, but it's so hard to pass up Disney, Palo brunch...We shall see.

it is hard. I would look at the rates the minute the 2013 dates come out as they just go up after day 1. I booked ours last Dec and in the 2 weeks it took to decide which week they climbed up 2-300. I just looked and our same cruise is already $600 higher than what we paid, for the same reservation as of today. I can only imagine what it will be by Dec! :scared1:

It was pricey, there is no doubt of that. And the excursions are pricey which will happen no matter who you go with. Outside of those 2 things though we really didn't spend much. Though that was enough. :rotfl:

It was worth it though. I'd compare it to staying at a deluxe, plus flights, DDP and Park Hoppers. If you look at it that way...not so different.

I love your pictures - it's really beautiful. What did I hear about why the icebergs are blue? I think it was from Pete on DIS unplugged podcast.

It has to do with density

Glaciers are created when decades upon decades of snow compact themselves into ice. As the ice crystals grow, they push out the air.

Because the red (long wavelengths) part of white light is absorbed by ice and the blue (short wavelengths) light is transmitted and scattered. The longer the path light travels in ice, the more blue it appears. Basically the ice absorbs most light and reflects the short-wave-length blue light.

But as ice moves along and is exposed to warmer air or warmer water, the crystal structure breaks down and reflects all the light. That change, makes the ice appear white.

And that's why the deepest blue coloration is often seen in fractured places: crevasses, towers and where chunks of ice have calved. The color may appear richest on cloudy days. So in the case of the cubes, they are newly calved and the blue part is the newly exposed areas.

it is hard. I would look at the rates the minute the 2013 dates come out as they just go up after day 1. I booked ours last Dec and in the 2 weeks it took to decide which week they climbed up 2-300. I just looked and our same cruise is already $600 higher than what we paid, for the same reservation as of today. I can only imagine what it will be by Dec! :scared1:

It was pricey, there is no doubt of that. And the excursions are pricey which will happen no matter who you go with. Outside of those 2 things though we really didn't spend much. Though that was enough. :rotfl:

It was worth it though. I'd compare it to staying at a deluxe, plus flights, DDP and Park Hoppers. If you look at it that way...not so different.

That's a good way to look at it. I know no matter which way we do it, it will be pricey, but sometimes it's worth it.

It has to do with density

Glaciers are created when decades upon decades of snow compact themselves into ice. As the ice crystals grow, they push out the air.

Because the red (long wavelengths) part of white light is absorbed by ice and the blue (short wavelengths) light is transmitted and scattered. The longer the path light travels in ice, the more blue it appears. Basically the ice absorbs most light and reflects the short-wave-length blue light.

But as ice moves along and is exposed to warmer air or warmer water, the crystal structure breaks down and reflects all the light. That change, makes the ice appear white.

And that's why the deepest blue coloration is often seen in fractured places: crevasses, towers and where chunks of ice have calved. The color may appear richest on cloudy days. So in the case of the cubes, they are newly calved and the blue part is the newly exposed areas.

Yeah, that's what I thought!:rolleyes:
Thanks for the information! I haven't had a science lesson in some time. Jenjolt probably knew all this already!

Yeah, that's what I thought!:rolleyes:
Thanks for the information! I haven't had a science lesson in some time. Jenjolt probably knew all this already!

I'm sure she does and could explain it better! I've thought of Jen often over the last couple of weeks, Evan has the coolest science teacher and I imagine Jen is much the same. I was thrilled that he remembered about the blue ice on his own and chose that as his summer science "artifact" to bring in. He is SO engaged, any concerns I had about honors science are gone (at the moment anyway). Of course, he's all boy. Only a boy would invent an organism that eats its own appendages as their main food source, and then the appendages regenerate to provide a constant food source. Think he's missing some science in all of that but it's fun to watch him get creative.

:rotfl:

AMAZING pictures. Sounds like Palo was fantastic, too. And how great that the boys are able to go off on their own for awhile?

Oh my goodness, what a great morning!

I have to admit though, it's weird to me to see ice in and snow and hear about people swimming!!

I love your explanation on why the ice is blue! We saw ice on the side of some of the mountains by my parents this past winter that was very blue and we didn't know why! I meant to look it up but I never remember to do it!

Sorry about that! Between Jeff and I we have almost 300 pictures for our Tracy Arm day and that's after deletions! It was too much for one update and I'm off to a girls weekend tomorrow and knew I wouldn't have time to get the monster update up so at least wanted to do the morning. DCL and Alaska is a wonderful combo!

Don't worry! I can wait - gives me something to look forward to. I did look at cruise prices yesterday - and unfortunately for a solo traveller Alaska is just way too expensive. However, the Pacific Coast cruises seem to be rather affordable... They just go from LA to SF and back (with one stop in Mexico). But the thing I am really hoping for is that the Magic will return to the Med in 2013 - the transatlantic cruises seem like the very best deal one can get! :thumbsup2

First of all, hi and :welcome:!!

And oh my goodness, what are the odds of THAT! :rotfl: So sorry, I didn't mean to post anyone's pictures without permission.

I hope you had as wonderful a cruise as we did. I'd love to know what you thought of the Med, I'm hoping they go back in 2013 as that might be an option for us.

It wasn't the last time we'd see the ship that empty, not by a long shot. Did you experience that as well?

Thanks for the welcome :) Sorry I forgot to click the subscribe button and we've been so busy with the new school year that I haven't been on the boards for a while!

I am loving your TR, it feels like ages ago and it is bringing it all back to me.

I really noticed the rolling and creaking too, a few mornings, I didn't like it. I'm not seasick but I did find it hard to get back to sleep with it all. I just felt a lot more movement on this cruise than any other I've been on. Of course DS slept the whole way through it all, kids eh? :lmao:

We did not hear the foghorn though, not once, weird :confused3 Our Palo server said that on one of the previous cruises the foghorn had been blasting pretty much constantly on one of the days.

Oh sure, we saw the ship empty loads of times. I guess it helps having late dinner, you then have the ship to yourself whilst the early diners are in. We are hardy Northern English folks so we were not bothered by the weather and were happy to be out a lot of the time! Actually the weather on the sea days was mostly nice we thought!

I remember seeing that yacht as we were approaching Tracey Arm too, DH said next time that would be us :scared1: I don't think so!

Oh the Med.....yes we loved the Med cruise last year :cool1: The Med ports are mostly familiar to us so often we stay onboard and enjoy our own personal ship :rotfl: Where we do go ashore we mostly just do our own thing in a very relaxed fashion.

Whilst we loved Alaska and the scenery, we preferred the onboard experience of the ship more in the Med. Now I don't know if this is that we liked the Magic better than the Wonder or what, I don't know why it should have felt different but it did. I expected the ship experience to be the same but it wasn't and I can't quite figure out what it was that made it different. It's not that we didn't enjoy the Wonder in Alaska, we really did, but we just loved the Magic in the Med more. Perhaps it was the general vibe on the decks with the weather in the Med maybe, I don't know. Also the Med cruise was 11 nights so loads of time to really, really chill out. One more thing, the characters were out and about a whole lot more on the Magic more informally whilst on the Wonder it felt as if they were really just in the Atrium at scheduled times (TA day excepted). We will definitely cruise the Med again with DCL if they come over here again in 2013 :thumbsup2 I have a dummy booking that I am waiting to change just as soon as they announce their dates!

Looking forward to the rest of your TR, now fully subb'd :thumbsup2

I can't begin to tell you, Cynthia, how much I want to take an Alaskan cruise now! Your pictures are just stunning, and I keep making Charles look at them this morning. :laughing: Brunch at Palo's does sound every bit as divine as you say, and I love, love, love your picture with Minnie! That is just darling!

I remember when we went on our Alaskan cruise that I could not believe how WHITE and how BLUE those ice chunks were that floated in the water. You can totally see it in your pictures too. It's like the cleanest, truest form of water and ice possible. It is so beautiful to me!

Great picture of you with Jeff & with Minnie. I don't think it is possible to take a bad photo with all that nature in the background!

Great update!

:rotfl: Honeslty Tammie, I really don't think it was any colder than your Repo in May!

Thankfully that was the only day of foghorn.

Your cruise was probably warmer!:goodvibes That is not saying alot, tough!:rotfl2: I'm sure we will do it some day for Jim, but my next cruise will be in the Caribbean, I think!

Okay, I'm caught up - missed a few updates. So many beautiful pictures! Your time out on deck with the books looked heavenly!:cloud9: Good for you for making time to relax, and time for just the two of you! :love:

You all cleaned up really well for formal night! On our cruise, formal night was dressy, but not many tuxes - semi-formal turned out to be not formal at all for most -a couple of ladies at our table even wore jeans. I'm glad it was a nice day for you.

Oh, your pic with Minnie is so adorable! You don't get those moments on a non-disney ship for sure!:thumbsup2

AMAZING pictures. Sounds like Palo was fantastic, too. And how great that the boys are able to go off on their own for awhile?

It was wonderful, for everyone!

Oh my goodness, what a great morning!

I have to admit though, it's weird to me to see ice in and snow and hear about people swimming!!

:rotfl: pools were always in the 80's so it really was fine to swim most days.

I love your explanation on why the ice is blue! We saw ice on the side of some of the mountains by my parents this past winter that was very blue and we didn't know why! I meant to look it up but I never remember to do it!

It's a pretty cool phenomena

Don't worry! I can wait - gives me something to look forward to. I did look at cruise prices yesterday - and unfortunately for a solo traveller Alaska is just way too expensive. However, the Pacific Coast cruises seem to be rather affordable... They just go from LA to SF and back (with one stop in Mexico). But the thing I am really hoping for is that the Magic will return to the Med in 2013 - the transatlantic cruises seem like the very best deal one can get! :thumbsup2

I'd look at 2013 when it comes out as it will undoubtedly be lower than they are right now. I'm hoping for the med as well although if it's longer than a week Jeff won't be up for it.

:rolleyes1

Thanks for the welcome :) Sorry I forgot to click the subscribe button and we've been so busy with the new school year that I haven't been on the boards for a while!

I am loving your TR, it feels like ages ago and it is bringing it all back to me.

No worries! I do that all the time (forget to subscribe)

I really noticed the rolling and creaking too, a few mornings, I didn't like it. I'm not seasick but I did find it hard to get back to sleep with it all. I just felt a lot more movement on this cruise than any other I've been on. Of course DS slept the whole way through it all, kids eh? :lmao:

We did not hear the foghorn though, not once, weird :confused3 Our Palo server said that on one of the previous cruises the foghorn had been blasting pretty much constantly on one of the days.

The creaking was noticeable twice, I think. I didn't mind it and the kids slept through it but Jeff wasn't thrilled with the creaking. Foghorn only that once but oh it was loud!

Oh sure, we saw the ship empty loads of times. I guess it helps having late dinner, you then have the ship to yourself whilst the early diners are in. We are hardy Northern English folks so we were not bothered by the weather and were happy to be out a lot of the time! Actually the weather on the sea days was mostly nice we thought!

I remember seeing that yacht as we were approaching Tracey Arm too, DH said next time that would be us :scared1: I don't think so!

No kidding, my girlfriend went a week later on a smaller boat (about 250 passengers) and they were all pretty sick the first night, lots of movement.

Late dinner worked really well for us (and is when we normally eat anyway).

Oh the Med.....yes we loved the Med cruise last year :cool1: The Med ports are mostly familiar to us so often we stay onboard and enjoy our own personal ship :rotfl: Where we do go ashore we mostly just do our own thing in a very relaxed fashion.

Whilst we loved Alaska and the scenery, we preferred the onboard experience of the ship more in the Med. Now I don't know if this is that we liked the Magic better than the Wonder or what, I don't know why it should have felt different but it did. I expected the ship experience to be the same but it wasn't and I can't quite figure out what it was that made it different. It's not that we didn't enjoy the Wonder in Alaska, we really did, but we just loved the Magic in the Med more. Perhaps it was the general vibe on the decks with the weather in the Med maybe, I don't know. Also the Med cruise was 11 nights so loads of time to really, really chill out. One more thing, the characters were out and about a whole lot more on the Magic more informally whilst on the Wonder it felt as if they were really just in the Atrium at scheduled times (TA day excepted). We will definitely cruise the Med again with DCL if they come over here again in 2013 :thumbsup2 I have a dummy booking that I am waiting to change just as soon as they announce their dates!

Looking forward to the rest of your TR, now fully subb'd :thumbsup2

Good info! 11 nights would probably be a bit much for Jeff but we will see. Very interesting to hear the comparison of the two.

I can't begin to tell you, Cynthia, how much I want to take an Alaskan cruise now! Your pictures are just stunning, and I keep making Charles look at them this morning. :laughing: Brunch at Palo's does sound every bit as divine as you say, and I love, love, love your picture with Minnie! That is just darling!

And what does Charles say? :rotfl:

I remember when we went on our Alaskan cruise that I could not believe how WHITE and how BLUE those ice chunks were that floated in the water. You can totally see it in your pictures too. It's like the cleanest, truest form of water and ice possible. It is so beautiful to me!

Great picture of you with Jeff & with Minnie. I don't think it is possible to take a bad photo with all that nature in the background!

Great update!

It is so beautiful! Just wait, lots more blue coming :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter