• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would You Wear a "Cremation Pendant?"

Yeah, my intention was to show that it's actually worse.

Yeah it was worse. LOL

Have really good friends who lost their son. He is sitting in a marble box on his dads desk. I feel compelled to avoid that room or at least say HI when I go in I had known him most of his life and it just weirds me out knowing 'he's' stuck in this box on his dad's desk. I would not find it comforting but his dad had a hard time (they lost him to an drowning accident in his early 20's) and it does make him feel better, so I think it was the right choice for him. I just avoid.

Personally, I did get one of these pendants for when my grandmother died. I went to a place online called Memorials.com and actually had a glass pendant made out of her ashes. It's a really beautiful piece of art. I display it on my dresser...but I don't really wear it. It's nice though because it's subtle, it reminds me of her and so that's why I got it. If you have an urn in your house, everyone knows that there are ashes inside of it. With this particular necklace, no one is the wiser that it has my grandma Hattie's ashes in it and I just like looking at it and remembering her. It's also small, so I can also just store it away safely. I always worried with an urn that it would get knocked over by one of my kids or our many cats.

I want my ashes buried under a tree. I just can't keep ashes in an urn at home because that reminds me too much of the "
" episode where ashes from a neighbor's family urn end up in Al Bundy's grill. My father thought the show was appropriate for the whole family when I was a kid. :rolleyes:

My parents are in cardboard boxes in a Publix reusable shopping bag somewhere in the basement. Not sure what I am supposed to do with the ashes. I figure I'll just do nothing with them and will them to my kids. They can then deal with my ashes and my parents. Pass the buck, the American way!

Maybe a few generations from now we will all end up in a storage locker and be the big find on the remake of Storage Wars.

I admired a friend's locket and she told me it was a cremation locket.
Hope the surprise did not show on my face.
Not something I would care do, the thought of cremation makes me queasy but her locket seemed to bring her comfort.

On my Facebook this morning a friend shared a photo from a woman who lost a butterfly pendant at our local county fair and is hoping to get it back. She said it is a "cremation pendant" and has some of her grandmother's ashes inside and she is "beside herself for having lost her." I do hope whoever found the pendant will turn it in at the fair office, so the woman can hopefully get it back.

But. Would YOU wear something like that? I would not, as I would be so afraid of having what happened to this woman at the fair happen to me. I would feel terrible for "losing my loved one again." If I were to receive ashes of a loved one, I would want them in a small box to keep at home.

I'm not worried about losing them I'm worried they're going to get mad at me and haunt me.

I know someone who was recently remarried. When the new husband moved in he put his sister in the China Cabinet. She is now a mug. The new wife is worried her kids will break his sister. Lol.

I wouldn’t wear anyone around my neck because they were never there 24/7 anyway.

I am all for cremation as I would never visit a grave site. Living by the water means most ashes get dumped there.
I would just put the people where I think they would want to be.

I don’t understand the thinking of it coming off wrong , or even right. It’s a personal decision.

I wear one with my daughter’s ashes (bones), and rarely take it off. I feel i bring her with me on trips, etc. Obviously she can’t physically be there anymore, and I carried her within me for 40 weeks, I will wear her until my heart ceases to beat. It’s a musical note, she adored music, when I am getting one of my more “panic modes”, I rub it and feel her. I am not crazy, I know she’s gone.

We are aldo the people who have her ashes on the mantle, I spent at least 8 months sleeping on the sofa to be closer to my daughter. I have everyone knowing these are being kept until I die. She came into the world via me, amd when I’m cremated , I’d like us to be brought back together. I really don’t care what happens next, just to be reunited as one. Toss us somewhere. Just reunite us.

someone I know has a tattoo which has ashes in the ink. Him and his cousin were almost the same age and grew up together. They were as close as brothers. The cousin died in his early 20"s. My friend did some research and found that ashes can be mixed with tattoo ink. Only very few tattoo places do it. Theres a proper process to get the ashes from the way they are from the crematorium to being ready for the tattoo. By looking at his tattoo you would never know, its just a regular design and is totally private as it dosnt even have his cousins name. It gives him great comfort though. I found it totally fascinating when he was explaining it to me and I dont find it creepy.

someone I know has a tattoo which has ashes in the ink. Him and his cousin were almost the same age and grew up together. They were as close as brothers. The cousin died in his early 20"s. My friend did some research and found that ashes can be mixed with tattoo ink. Only very few tattoo places do it. Theres a proper process to get the ashes from the way they are from the crematorium to being ready for the tattoo. By looking at his tattoo you would never know, its just a regular design and is totally private as it dosnt even have his cousins name. It gives him great comfort though. I found it totally fascinating when he was explaining it to me and I dont find it creepy.
. That is interesting and cool. Never heard of that

When my father passed last year I received an American flag penant with some of his ashes in it as a gift from his wife. As my dad is a veteran I found the flag very fitting to him and I know that that would make him very happy.Personally I would never wear this around my neck but it is in a nice glass Cabinet with other keepsakes. Since I live hundreds of miles away in do not have a chance to visit his grave site regularly I feel this is a nice keepsake to keep his memory alive near me

I'm not a fan of cremation in general, but I think it's cruel to judge someone for the way they choose to grieve. If ashes in a necklace, gives them some form of peace, that's exactly what they should do.
I’m curious about why you are not a fan? I had my mom cremated 3 years ago and buried with her IL’s (my sister had some ashes put in an urn because she lives far away). I just spent over $5000 for one of the cheapest caskets at the funeral home plus the mandatory cement casing required by the state for my dad, because that’s what he wanted. The casket we rented for my mom’s wake was nicer that the one I bought for my dad. Cremation is certainly less expensive.

I find it fascinating also, and will look into this.

I’m curious about why you are not a fan? I had my mom cremated 3 years ago and buried with her IL’s (my sister had some ashes put in an urn because she lives far away). I just spent over $5000 for one of the cheapest caskets at the funeral home plus the mandatory cement casing required by the state for my dad, because that’s what he wanted. The casket we rented for my mom’s wake was nicer that the one I bought for my dad. Cremation is certainly less expensive.
For me it's a visceral thing and having worked in the funeral industry I am quite familiar with both common methods of disposition (cremation and burial). Myself and all of my loved ones will be buried, as have all those gone on before me.

As to cost, that depends greatly on the area you live in and the "going rates" for services. Here, demand for cremation has gradually come to outstrip burial about 2-to-1, maybe more and the prices reflect it. The professional services (flat fee charged by the funeral home) cost exactly the same for both. Urns can range from a few hundred to many thousands of dollars, depending on the choice. A cremation container (cardboard box) is about $500 but many, many people buy an actual casket instead. You can do whatever you want with the ashes, but many people buy a plot or a niche and have the urn interred, some pay a long-term rental fee to have the urn shelved in a special room many funeral homes have where they can be visited. Overall, the expense or economy of final disposition is greatly variable no matter what method is chosen.

I don’t understand the thinking of it coming off wrong , or even right. It’s a personal decision.

I wear one with my daughter’s ashes (bones), and rarely take it off. I feel i bring her with me on trips, etc. Obviously she can’t physically be there anymore, and I carried her within me for 40 weeks, I will wear her until my heart ceases to beat. It’s a musical note, she adored music, when I am getting one of my more “panic modes”, I rub it and feel her. I am not crazy, I know she’s gone.

We are aldo the people who have her ashes on the mantle, I spent at least 8 months sleeping on the sofa to be closer to my daughter. I have everyone knowing these are being kept until I die. She came into the world via me, amd when I’m cremated , I’d like us to be brought back together. I really don’t care what happens next, just to be reunited as one. Toss us somewhere. Just reunite us.
:hug:'s

For me it's a visceral thing and having worked in the funeral industry I am quite familiar with both common methods of disposition (cremation and burial). Myself and all of my loved ones will be buried, as have all those gone on before me.

As to cost, that depends greatly on the area you live in and the "going rates" for services. Here, demand for cremation has gradually come to outstrip burial about 2-to-1, maybe more and the prices reflect it. The professional services (flat fee charged by the funeral home) cost exactly the same for both. Urns can range from a few hundred to many thousands of dollars, depending on the choice. A cremation container (cardboard box) is about $500 but many, many people buy an actual casket instead. You can do whatever you want with the ashes, but many people buy a plot or a niche and have the urn interred, some pay a long-term rental fee to have the urn shelved in a special room many funeral homes have where they can be visited. Overall, the expense or economy of final disposition is greatly variable no matter what method is chosen.
But I’m comparing apples to apples, same funeral home, same cemetery, cremation was $3000 cheaper, even after paying the $1000 casket rental.

But I’m comparing apples to apples, same funeral home, same cemetery, cremation was $3000 cheaper, even after paying the $1000 casket rental.
OK. It's good that you did whatever was right for your family, as I intend to do. :hippie:

My family has always buried, never cremated, partly for religious reasons. I've always thought it odd that there would be a patch of land that is never used because someone dies. To me it's just odd and unsustainable. If we had always done this there wouldn't be any land left for people to actually live on. My husband's family has always cremated. We have an urn from when his mother died. I was rather close with my mother-in-law and I'm surprised how comforting I find the fact that she's still there with us. We very rarely get to visit my parents since they are buried across the country, but "mama B" is right there. In advance I kind of thought it might be creepy but in practice it isn't at all--so much so, that if I predecease my husband I would like him to keep the ashes at home for at least a year. I joke that I want to be right there on the mantle with "mama B". If it bothers the new husband, and he's under strict instructions to marry again, they can put me away in a cabinet (although he insists that he can't imagine marrying someone that would do that). If he dies first I would keep the ashes until I died when I would like our ashes to be mingled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter