• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Worst WDW Food Experience

for me, I'd have to say the biergarten. I didn't like much of the food.
But eating the brats and the having a beer outside in the courtyard (when you can get a seat) is one of my favorites.

Marrakesh. The staff made us feel very un-welcome. The food was ok, nothing to go back for though.

Via Napoli. Expected at least a decent wood fired pizza but this place did not deliver.

"Butter Chicken" at the AoA food court. I looked at the wrong entree photo up on their menu screen, and was horrified to see what they dished out. It wasn't quite as bad as it looked, but it was pretty bad.

Worst experience with only so-so food would be Sanaa, which is normally the one everyone raves about. We had a late ADR, maybe 8 or 8:30 so it wasn't crowded but it took over 2 hours for the meal. Not because we were savoring it since my son and DIL could only eat part of theirs but because our server was horrible. We had to wait at least 15 minutes after we finished each course and even had to wait to get our check and to pay our check, which is against all rules in the restaurant business. My family has owned and operated restaurants my whole life and the #1 rule is don't make a customer wait to order and get their drinks and don't make them wait to pay, you can make them wait for their food but not those two. We watched one table turn over two times while we were there. My kids were coming from the Great Lakes area and had a restaurant that served almost the same menu which they love and were real excited but they could barely eat the food. For over $250 we expected better so never there again.

Another bad experience but decent food was Chef de France. Both my son and I decided to order the Prix Fixe and we shared a bottle of wine. I ordered the French Onion Soup and the Mac and Cheese. The waiter insisted I not get that since both were huge servings and I wouldn't be able to eat it, I should order something else. My money, my decision, if I want to eat just a bite of each course, I've paid for it not your problem. I ordered it anyway and yes, only ate about 1/4 of my soup and 1/2 of the mac and cheese but I'm a light eater and it would have been the same no matter what I ordered.

We go almost every year and eat all of our meals in the parks. We usually have at least one, sometimes 2, TS meals a day. In all of these years we haven't had a bad meal. Some were just OK but most were enjoyable. We like different foods and can't help but wonder if some of the bad comments are just because the food isn't what people are used to. We also tend to eat off peak, mostly because we like the slightly slower pace when restaurants aren't packed. I think that also helps get us better food because the kitchen may only have 20 meals at a time to prepare rather than 50. We actually tried the ABC Commissary two years ago and had the hamburger with shrimp and fries that we really enjoyed. It was around 3pm and the place was pretty empty. A lot of the food in Epcot is not as authentic and the menus have far fewer offerings. I am convinced that this is due to the Dining Plan and the need for Disney to make the numbers work. I remember DD couldn't decide between escargots and frogs legs for her appetizer in Chefs when she was about 10 (she's 29 now) and I used to love their Grand Marnier crepes. I wish they would go back to the more authentic and varied offerings for cash customers and then have a limited menu for the dining plan.

La Hacienda. YUCK! We got a window table, crammed against a window with another table 6 inches from ours. The meat platter for two was disgusting, the dessert tasted like it came out of a box from the grocery store, and our server disappeared. The only good thing was that since our table was so very tiny we had the deep windowsill to keep the serving dishes of beans and rice on, both of which tasted like cardboard. We had dinner there a couple of years before and had a great experience, they've cut down on the amount of food and substituted some very nasty chicken and beef. We actually left before Illluminations and watched outside, didn't want to spend another minute in that restaurant.

People like it because they don't expereince what you're experiencing.

I've had the portobello "burger" for dinner. For the 3 brunches I've been to (4?) I've had the eggs en cocotte and it's fabulous. Last time we got pancakes diaspora (my cousin loved them) and I was able to get a side of pancakes, and omg their pancakes are to die for.
I've come to the conclusions our reasons for not like RR are twofold. It appears we've never chosen the dishes they apparently excel at. The fact that we have a few really good restaurants that serve that type of food in our area doesn't help either.

Mama Melrose - DD13 had a plastic bag in her food. I'm assuming it held the sauce or something and whoever opened it dropped it in the pot. It grossed us all out. The food wasn't good either. We will never go back.

Mine would have to have been Pizza Planet. Took the twins there and got them and myself a little pizza. Theirs looked good, but I got the Frisbee. Must have been under a heat lamp for two decades. I took about three bites and decided that was it. The look on my face must have said it all because out of the blue a bird crapped on my pizza. Was pretty apropros . Kids got a good chuckle out of it.

We go almost every year and eat all of our meals in the parks. We usually have at least one, sometimes 2, TS meals a day. In all of these years we haven't had a bad meal. Some were just OK but most were enjoyable. We like different foods and can't help but wonder if some of the bad comments are just because the food isn't what people are used to. We also tend to eat off peak, mostly because we like the slightly slower pace when restaurants aren't packed. I think that also helps get us better food because the kitchen may only have 20 meals at a time to prepare rather than 50. We actually tried the ABC Commissary two years ago and had the hamburger with shrimp and fries that we really enjoyed. It was around 3pm and the place was pretty empty. A lot of the food in Epcot is not as authentic and the menus have far fewer offerings. I am convinced that this is due to the Dining Plan and the need for Disney to make the numbers work. I remember DD couldn't decide between escargots and frogs legs for her appetizer in Chefs when she was about 10 (she's 29 now) and I used to love their Grand Marnier crepes. I wish they would go back to the more authentic and varied offerings for cash customers and then have a limited menu for the dining plan.

In both my cases, the food was o.k. and it was off peak times, the service was what turned us off. We have been going to WDW for over 33 years and like you, most of the time enjoy the food, even look forward to it. No excuse for bad service though.

Mama Melrose - DD13 had a plastic bag in her food. I'm assuming it held the sauce or something and whoever opened it dropped it in the pot. It grossed us all out. The food wasn't good either. We will never go back.

We have had a piece of plastic in our food a number of times in restaurants locally and some very upscale. Even things that are cooked fresh sometimes come in a package, it happens. We just put it aside and tell the wait staff when they come by, it happens. I can see never going back if you didn't enjoy the food though.

In both my cases, the food was o.k. and it was off peak times, the service was what turned us off. We have been going to WDW for over 33 years and like you, most of the time enjoy the food, even look forward to it. No excuse for bad service.

I guess it all depends on what kind of service you expect. In American restaurants, we expect service to be very quick so we can get in and out to do other things. In Europe, service is slower, much slower. People take their time enjoying a meal. We've spent hours eating dinner in Paris where we might spend an hour or less in a home town restaurant. When we eat in Epcot, we like the slower, European pace while others may want a more American experience so they can get to their next FP+. Since the servers in the Epcot WS restaurants come from the countries represented, we expect slower service. In other restaurants, we expect it to be more like we have at home. Could this be the issue?

Last June at Chef Mickey's. I doubt we will ever go back. Service was fine and food was decent. It just seemed dirty and the buffet was not appealing. They were not taking pictures upon entrance either. It was a huge let down- especially at that price. For years that was our arrival night dinner and we always loved it. I am not sure what has happened lately, but yuck!

Coral Reef was not a bad meal, but it was forgettable. it is in Floride for peets sake! It should have amazing seafood. Way too much money for the quality.

My only one was Garden Grill. The food was so blah and the smell from living with the land was gross. We did have good character interaction and my husband and son both thought it was fine though. For me it was probably more of a value issue since it pained me to shell out that amount of money for what we got.

I think the absolute worst so far as a family experience has been Trail's End. We had a ride booked for the Headless Horseman, and my parents booked Trail's End to make things easier. So gross. Congealed grease on food at the buffet, spoons in wrong trays...

Teppanyaki grill. Three out of the four of us got very sick after the meal.

Pizza planet was also pretty bad. It was some of the worst pizza I have tasted. I'm not sure how you screw up Pizza, but they managed it.

These weren't bad but really over rated:
1) Citricos. I got a fish dish that was incredibly bland.
2) Le Cellier This was back when it was a non-signature. For the money, I was underwhelmed honestly.

What is the worst experience you have ever had with WDW food or a restaurant?

Ohana dinner. We were seated 45 minutes after our ADR, server rarely came around, drinks came late, food was only ok and we had to ask for more because the servers with the meat only came once, and they charged us for the 2 year old (they did fix it). Never again.

Not food-related, but I had horrible experiences with the service at 1900 Park Fare and Cape May Cafe.

ESPN Club at the Boardwalk is terrible. I tried it several times and each meal was worse than the one before it. Finally gave up several years ago.

I'm surprised by all the mentions of Chefs de France. That's one of my favorite non-signature restaurants. I've been around a dozen times and never had a bad meal (or bad service for that matter). I guess it really does take all kinds to make a world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter