• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Worst Disney surprise ever!!

this is just AWFUL. yes, I used CAPS.

how sad for the kids.

I attended a 40th bday party. the guest of honor received a "fake" lottery ticket . saying she won $10,000. she was SO thrilled, saying how she was going to buy something for everyone at the party.

it was a prank.. yeah. very funny.

not a funny joke at all. those involved in the "joke" should have had to pool their money and take the kids, as promised.

Nothing was promised. Ever. Implied? Inferred? Sure. If nobpry had snooper and shared misinformation with classmates, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Even as an educator that likes to play jokes and pranks every once in a while, I agree that this one was cruel. I don't think that they should lose their job over it, just reprimanded. It was pretty elaborate joke too. Reminds me of the Hooter's employees years ago who worked to win a Toy Yoda. Of course that was even worse because they actually really worked hard to earn that thinking they were working toward a car.

Nothing was promised. Ever. Implied? Inferred? Sure. If nobpry had snooper and shared misinformation with classmates, this wouldn't even be an issue.

That is not what happened. The teachers pulled the kids aside, gave them flyers, a power point presentation, the whole nine yards. They were working under the assumption that a kid was snooping, and had already told the kids. What would have been closer to appropriate would have been to leave the things lying around, and then make the announcement that the trip was to the bowling alley. Then the kids would be angry at the snooper, and perhaps he/she would learn his/her lesson that way.

But no. They made an "official" announcement, talked about costs, everything, to ALL of the kids. They specifically told these kids they were going to Disney--nothing was implied, they gave them costs, the whole nine yards. This is not the fault of the kid who may or may not be snooping. This is the fault of the teachers who spent hours coming up with and enacting this plan, even going as far to videotape the disappointment of the children, laugh about it, and then show it to other classes. If this were my child, I would be livid.

I'm not entirely certain you read/understood the article, or that you have children. <<See how this is implied?

You obviously didn't read the article, and can't possibly have children. <<See how this is a flat-out statement?

That's the difference.

TandEsMommy said:
That is not what happened. The teachers pulled the kids aside, gave them flyers, a power point presentation, the whole nine yards. They were working under the assumption that a kid was snooping, and had already told the kids. What would have been closer to appropriate would have been to leave the things lying around,

There's a thread about this incident on the community board. According to the article linked in that thread, what happened is what you describe: a teacher had information indicating a Disney World trip on her/his desk. The rumors and excitement started, then the PowerPoint presentation was given. Admittedly, there are some discrepancies between the two articles - but neither indicates the teachers mentioned anything about WDW until the presentation.

They specifically told these kids they were going to Disney--nothing was implied, they gave them costs, the whole nine yards.

We weren't there and as far as I know the recording hasn't gone public. The impression I get from the news articles is that the PowerPoint session talked about WDW; and saying "Oh, we got cheap airfare" isn't the same as giving prices.

The kids, ecstatic by now in anticipation, were urged by the teachers to yell out where they were going: “We’re going to Disney!”

Seems pretty clear they were told they were going. If the article is wrong, then the article is wrong. But given the above, it's pretty clear the kids were, in fact, "promised" the trip.

I live in Windsor, Ontario where this story originated ... The school is actually a couple miles up the road. The teachers have been blasted from all directions and medias. When it was reported in the local paper by a couple upset parents, never did they think it would balloon to the this. The teachers and principal have met with the parents, apologies have been made and they are looking to put this behind them and get back to focusing on the educating of the kids. In the meantime, the trustees and school board re delving into it further to ensure this never happens again.

I don't think anything should happen to the student teachers. They were just following what their bosses told them to do.

This prank waste really mean. I can't believe the majority of 8th graders actually believed this though. Where did they think the money was coming from?

This was completely wrong of these teachers. They need to be suspened just as a student would be. I think that just like a student would have to they need to write individual letters to apploogize for this and maybe even have some one monitor them. This is unacceptable and very inappropiate. The school needs to tell the kids that this was wrong. This is one time I feel that the parents do not need to be telling the kids that this was wrong.

I am for teaching is done at home and school but this is beyond wrong and the parents should not have to deal with this.

Cruel joke back.... all the kids need to go on the year end trip someplace better than where they will be going and not invite the teachers. Just the parents take charge. Those teachers would not be welcolm.

Sorry for the rant.

The teachers not going on the trip would not be a punishment. Trust me.

I am going to have my 8th grader, who will GRADUATE at the end of the year, read this when he gets up. I will report back with his reaction. As a teacher I think it is very wrong and I would be crucified for it.

There's a thread about this incident on the community board. According to the article linked in that thread, what happened is what you describe: a teacher had information indicating a Disney World trip on her/his desk. The rumors and excitement started, then the PowerPoint presentation was given. Admittedly, there are some discrepancies between the two articles - but neither indicates the teachers mentioned anything about WDW until the presentation.

We weren't there and as far as I know the recording hasn't gone public. The impression I get from the news articles is that the PowerPoint session talked about WDW; and saying "Oh, we got cheap airfare" isn't the same as giving prices.

If you go back the the article in the first post and read the comments since posted, no one is disputing the events given in the article, including some of the students involved (and I think a few of the posters here ;))

It certainly seems that the students were told by the teachers they were going to WDW, but just leaving some info for a rumor to be spread.

An interview i saw with one of the parents had said her child told her the teachers went as far as saying the cost was $250 per person and showed them there would be 4 people per room. This prank went way too far!!

Who in their right mind would think this was funny?

To go so far as to have pamphlets, PowerPoint presentations, etc... Somewhere through that process someone should have realized, this was a VERY BAD idea.

The kids will get over it just fine I'm sure, but that was a major error in judgement.

Dan

Well, I showed my 8th grader and he said it was dumb. He laso said that he wouldn't have believed them but he thought it was mean. He didn't laugh about it, so I think it is safe to say that in the mind of a 13 year old, this was a mean trick.

Was it mean? Yeah. Kind of a *explitive* move.

Was it cruel? I wouldn't go that far. I think there is just more shock and disgust from afar after the fact.

Not terribly funny, nor nice, and karma is a female canine, so these teachers will unlikely get their comeupance, but the reactions here are a little over the top IMHO.

And put me in the camp with Bob Parr and Mesa vis a vis the "graduation" thing.

I hate jokes that are based on laughing at someone for having a normal reaction to a situation. It's cruel and makes no sense.

anyone else remeber the Brady Bunch episode where Peter is snooping on everyone. the other kids decide to teach him a lesson and make sure he overheard them that there was to be a big surprise party for him.

the parents thought the lesson was mean, so they surprised the other kids by realy having a surprise party.

boy am I showing my age!

I had a 8th grade graduation. My son had a kindergarten graduation. One was on the west coast and one was in the Midwest.

The teachers were bullies. They became that when they shared it was another class so that class could laugh too. Zero tolerance should apply to teachers too.

The teachers were cruel. It was not a zoo trip but rather they taunted with a trip that is usually a child's dream trip, a once in a lifetime vacation for many.

We are fighting in my area against this method of punishing the whole class because of one bad student. Good students learn that being good means nothing and that they will still get in trouble and the trouble making student doesn't care or worse doesn't change. This way of reprimanding for unwanted behavior doesn't work with adults either.

The group of them needs to take a ethics refresher course or two. Ask themselves "if this was reported in the Sunday paper would it still be a good idea??".

It is disgusting to play with someone's emotions to prove or make a point.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter